Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 07:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe...........aka Porsche PDK

I was reading an article today in Road & Track about manual transmissions vs twin clutch/ paddle shifter designs. I read that Porsche PDK actually stands for Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe. I just thought it was weird for a manufacturer to abbreviate a feature in a German rather English like the rest. Kind of weird. Are there other examples ?????? I dont think Ferrari or Lamborghini have ever done this. Anyone think its a little odd. I just think its funny that after all of this time that this system has been available that all of the magazines I have read have not mentioned what the abrreviation stood for.

Kind of weird
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe-img_2790-selective-coloring.jpg   Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe-997gt3silver4.jpg   Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe-speedartps9650_lead.jpg   Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe-img_6233.jpg   Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe-i1024x768.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-05-09 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 11:12 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe, cause they're Porsche :P

@anyways
I think it's already proven that their Dual clutch gearboxes already are faster and more fuel efficient than their Tiptronic gearboxes....and in some cases, the same applies compared to their stick shift counterparts.

Both in official manufacturer claims and independent/outside tests

I think
Old 12-05-09, 11:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are right. I just think its a bit weird to abbreviate in German. MAny members have discussed this system before but I bet most had no idea what it actually meant. Just trying to shed some light
Old 12-05-09, 11:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should watch more Top Gear
Old 12-06-09, 01:49 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Lambo and ferrari have done this as well, cant remember any examples though.
Old 12-06-09, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just think its a bit weird to abbreviate in German.
ah, Porsche is a GERMAN company. they speak GERMAN. their engineering plans will be in GERMAN. for them to abbreviate GERMAN engineering terms isn't weird at all. and Ferrari has done it forever too, usually just using Italian words rather than abbreviating.

i don't know if it's happened yet, but we're getting close or have passed where the number of predominantly english speakers will be the MINORITY of users on the internet.

so get used to chinese abbreviations next.
Old 12-06-09, 09:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah, Porsche is a GERMAN company. they speak GERMAN. their engineering plans will be in GERMAN. for them to abbreviate GERMAN engineering terms isn't weird at all. and Ferrari has done it forever too, usually just using Italian words rather than abbreviating.

i don't know if it's happened yet, but we're getting close or have passed where the number of predominantly english speakers will be the MINORITY of users on the internet.

i think he meant in NA market... i would guess that 99.9% americans do not know what getriebe means.
Old 12-06-09, 10:06 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari has only just recently introduced a 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual, and they don't even have a special name for it. Lamborghini still functions on a single-clutch robotized manual transmission called e-Gear (R-Tronic is the R8). Ferrari's single-clutch transmissions were called F1, or Cambiocorsa (which is Italian for 'racing shift') in Maserati cars.

That being said, it's normal for them to use a German word or abbreviation to describe their products, as Porsche is still today a very German company. Hasn't really been Americanized like BMW and Mercedes. They still function on very traditional grounds.
Old 12-07-09, 05:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

English is still the official language of the United States so they should be selling the packages in English. Very few on this forum even knew what the hell PDK even meant and they would talk about it all of the time. I don't remember Ferrari or Lamborghini even abbreviating any package or option on the car in Italian....... maybe the HGTE package on the 599 but thats it , but even then HANDLING is the first word. Most english speaking car people know what handling means. Give me a break. Porsche is being lame
Old 12-07-09, 05:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they could've made it a little longer.....

DoppelkupplungsgetriebeAchtung!!
Old 12-07-09, 05:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cause otherwise nobody would be able to pronounce it .

That and there's only so many ways to say dual clutch gearbox.
Old 12-07-09, 05:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Doppelkupplungsgetriebe..... it just sounds fuuny. I wouldnt even try to pronounce that 3 times in a row really really fast
Old 12-07-09, 06:20 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not even that hard to say really - it's just German which is what most of us aren't used to. Who cares if a German company decided to name one of their systems a German name? If you can't pronounce Doppelkupplungsgetriebe then just refer to it as PDK like everybody else.
Old 12-07-09, 07:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
It's not even that hard to say really - it's just German which is what most of us aren't used to. Who cares if a German company decided to name one of their systems a German name? If you can't pronounce Doppelkupplungsgetriebe then just refer to it as PDK like everybody else.
I bet you would have an issue saying fast 4 times and I bet more that you used the copy and paste feature on your computer to just get it down on your post..
Old 12-07-09, 08:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I bet you would have an issue saying fast 4 times and I bet more that you used the copy and paste feature on your computer to just get it down on your post..
Actually, I didn't. But I did have to double check to make sure I put the S in the correct spot.

Quick Reply: Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe