Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by alecksk

For some reason I knew there's gonna be iDrive involved in some negative way as soon as I saw the thread title and the name of the thread starter
If I told you I actually liked the I-Drive and MMI, it would not be an honest review. I made it clear in the review, as I usually do wth BMWs and Audis, that I respect the opinions of those who feel differently.

I sure hope it's not as "Lexus-quiet" as my stepfather's LS460 which I had to manually fix with a bunch of silicone glue (see the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix" thread in an appropriate forum section) to bring down the wind noise to a less embarrassing levels
True, weather-seals can be defective, even on an LS460, but if an LS is running properly, there's probably nothing else like it on the road for tomb-quietness.

Anyway, thanks for the yet another well-detailed review
Sure. Anytime. I'm going to take a little break from reviews, though, for several weeks. I plan to do the new Suzuki Kizashi in January, when it becomes available in the D.C. area. That car promises to be very interesting. I also plan, when available, to do the new Ford Fiesta.
Old 12-04-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Yes

pix to come this weekend (not to thread jack here)

You can post them here if you want, but why not just start a new thread? I'm sure a number of CL members, including myself, would like to see your car.
Old 12-04-09, 06:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alecksk

For some reason I knew there's gonna be iDrive involved in some negative way as soon as I saw the thread title and the name of the thread starter

I sure hope it's not as "Lexus-quiet" as my stepfather's LS460 which I had to manually fix with a bunch of silicone glue (see the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix" thread in an appropriate forum section) to bring down the wind noise to a less embarrassing levels

Anyway, thanks for the yet another well-detailed review
LOL. This post made my Friday.. Funny

This review is a good read.. Thanks Marshall
Old 12-04-09, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOL. This post made my Friday.. Funny
See my reply to it, above, in post #16.

This review is a good read.. Thanks Marshall
Thanks, DASH. I put a lot of time and effort into all of my reviews, but especially the big holiday one each December.
Old 12-04-09, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by werewolf
Isn't this just a RWD X6?
Not really. The 550 GT is done on the 7-series platform, uses a 7-series engine, sits much lower for better handling, and has one of the highest-quality interiors I've seen in a recent BMW. I certainly wouldn't consider it an SUV like the X6.
Old 12-04-09, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Exterior is **** ugly imo.. Never thought Id say that about a 5 series.
Ugly, of course, is subjective, and, though I wouldn't call it ugly, I agree it is not the best-looking body style. But, under the skin, this is one classy product.
Old 12-04-09, 08:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugly of course is subjective, I'd call it ugly.

Like most premium Lexus, Mercedes and BMW's in this price range, under the skin certainly a classy product although many aren't this ugly, overweight, overly-complicated with questionable reliability.
Old 12-04-09, 08:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very nice review Mike, thanks. Funny MPLexus sent me a pic today of one on the road...and its horrid to look at, really a bigger, uglier (can't believe thats possible) Prius. When you get past the styling, the interior seems top notch, the drive seems great and the added cargo capacity can come in handy.

It's absolutely atrocious in person. $74K? Give me a break.
Old 12-04-09, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Well, like I said earlier, I know it is not the prettiest body style, though I wouldn't call it butt-ugly. But that 74K (base models, BTW, start at 63K) goes to buy not only a kick-a** drivetrain but the traditional superb BMW chassis engineering, and, like some Audis, VERY classy materials inside and out. The leather in this particular model, for example (with the Ivory-white Dakota option), IMO, surpasses that not only of most other German-designed cars, but of recent Jaguars and lexus models as well.
Old 12-04-09, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I expect to see a lot of them, (lined-up along the back of the BMW lot collecting dust, just like when the X6 was introduced at the local dealership which had even the salesmen laughing).

Another thing to keep in mind is anything this ugly/over-priced/low demand with questionable reliability (specifically after the warranty expires) will tend to have atrocious resale value too. The depreciation rate will make the horrible gas mileage and high insurance cost look like petty cash when discussing cost of ownership.

Really makes the 3 series wagon and 5 series wagon look like a true driver's bargain.
Old 12-04-09, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Really makes the 3 series wagon and 5 series wagon look like a true driver's bargain.
I partially agree, but mostly because the 3 and 5-series wagons, with some engines, offer AWD. The 550 GT doesn't.

My prediction, though, is that it will, to some extent, outsell the X6 (although, admittedly, I have sometimes been wrong before in predicting sales). The BMW shop said that they keep selling out of X6's and can't keep them in stock. While I don't have hard numbers, that sounds like BS to me....I have seen VERY few of them here, even in this affluent, money/car-rich D.C. area. I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the same out there in Silicon Valley where you live.

The whole reason I did a review of the 550 GT in the first place is that I thought that, being marketed as a 5-series but done on a 7-series platform, it would be an interesting option for those potential buyers interested in both the 5 and 7-series. It also offers more cargo-area flexibility (and lousier rear-vision) than most 7-series models.
Old 12-04-09, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I partially agree, but mostly because the 3 and 5-series wagons, with some engines, offer AWD. The 550 GT doesn't.

My prediction, though, is that it will, to some extent, outsell the X6 (although, admittedly, I have sometimes been wrong before in predicting sales). The BMW shop said that they keep selling out of X6's and can't keep them in stock. While I don't have hard numbers, that sounds like BS to me....I have seen VERY few of them here, even in this affluent, money/car-rich D.C. area. I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the same out there in Silicon Valley where you live.
Offering AWD is a plus in wagon/SUV/utility kind of vehicles btw.

I agree, it will outsell the X6 but still be very weak sales (like comparing poor to very poor sales numbers, very Acura RL-like).

It's very possible that they sell out all X6's since they no longer stock many, so that statement may be valid by dealer but nearly meaningless as evidence of strong sales.

Yes, in Silicon Valley I've seen about 6 X6's on the road so far, not impressive, I've seen many more Vantages, Quatroportes, R8's, Bentley Coupes in the same period of time.
Old 12-05-09, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Offering AWD is a plus in wagon/SUV/utility kind of vehicles btw.
AWD is going to become more and more of a necessity in luxury vehicles, as many buyers demand it, even in places without a lot of snow.

It's very possible that they sell out all X6's since they no longer stock many, so that statement may be valid by dealer but nearly meaningless as evidence of strong sales.
That's what I thought, too, when they made that statement. Auto marketing, along with lawyers and politics, is the the height of double-talk.

Yes, in Silicon Valley I've seen about 6 X6's on the road so far, not impressive, I've seen many more Vantages, Quatroportes, R8's, Bentley Coupes in the same period of time.
In San Jose? I would have guessed exotics like that to be a lot more common in L.A. (specifically, Hollywood and Beverly Hills)
Old 12-05-09, 07:40 AM
LexFather

I guarantee it will not outsell the x6. People will buy a suv here no matter how ugly useless poor etc. Americans do not like nor want hatchbacks ans surely didnt ask for a 400hp 65k one uglier than the x6.

The x6 is trendy thus we have the awful zdx knockoff. No one is going to copy or enter this niche with BMW.

Old 12-05-09, 10:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

73k for this car?! Are you kidding?! BMW must be smoking something!

Nice review! I enjoyed it! Thanks

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)