Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

i am no longer paranoid about rattles. are you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 02:19 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i am no longer paranoid about rattles. are you?

my other 7 year old lexus has become a rattlebox. started like 3 years ago, now it's louder than ever. moonroof, door panels, B pillar....

but i am no longer annoyed by rattles. I don't poke my head high and low while driving, trying to listen for rattles and looking like a crazy man.
I am happy to say that I am cured of rattle OCD and rattle anxiety disorder.

Thanks to the advice of the internets, I now turn up the music to drown out rattles.
why let rattles ruin your driving experience..............
Old 11-28-09, 02:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am trying to get there as well but I am still a bit **** because my GS is only 2 years old. I find that when I obsess less about the car the more I can enjoy it. I need to stop driving it like some test driver for Lexus trying with all my might to find any flaw, problem , or issue. I dont have kids and i am sure when I do that will change. I will work on it in the mean time
Old 11-28-09, 02:45 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my car does not have rattles when I jack up the music
Old 11-28-09, 03:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm **** about all of my Lexus purchases ( presently own three ) since I don't expect rattles from cars built by Buddists and untouched by the UAW !!
Old 11-28-09, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
my other 7 year old lexus has become a rattlebox. started like 3 years ago, now it's louder than ever. moonroof, door panels, B pillar....

but i am no longer annoyed by rattles. I don't poke my head high and low while driving, trying to listen for rattles and looking like a crazy man.

Thanks to the advice of the internets, I now turn up the music to drown out rattles.
One of the reasons you have rattles, as you note, is because of the moonroof. I generally don't recommend them, for three main reasons. One, the housing often robs headroom for taller persons. Two, they can fail at a critical time (e.g....with rain coming up).....and automakers often don't supply an emergency cranking system any more. Three, of course, they are potential weak spots for rattles, squeaks, creaks, and leaks. Remember....you are trading a solid metal roof panel (which adds roof-strength integrity) for one or more big holes, slots, moving parts, sliding panels, and parts rubbing against one another.

The obsession with stiffer suspensions, firmer shock damping, and lower-profile tires on many of today's vehicles have also added to the problem. The firmer the car's underpinnings, not only the stiffer the ride, but the more chance you will have of rattles developing from the bump-impacts that are transmitted to the body and interior.

However, that being said, cars today are generally more rattle-resistant than ever before. Stronger unibody frames that resist flexing/bending, closer build-quality tolerances, high-quality, reliable robot-welding on the assembly line, and more attention to quality control all have helped play a part.

Try to keep your car on roads that are as smooth as possible. Smooth roads, of course, especially with today's stiff underpinnings, not only mean fewer and less-repetition of the rattles a car already has, but also less likelihoood of developing new ones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-09 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-28-09, 09:21 AM
LexFather

What lexus do u have? We have yet to see pics.

Old 11-28-09, 09:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My 2GS rattles too, but they're commonly known rattles (ie. sunroof, dashboard, etc). Doesn't help that I'm not running OEM soft suspension, but I just ordered a good amount of felt. Will strategically place them until I get no more rattles
Old 11-28-09, 09:41 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. I am super paranoid about rattles. None of my cars rattles, even my Toyota 4runner. Rattles can be fixed.
Old 11-28-09, 11:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tend to fix them when I can....and yes they do **** me off
Old 11-28-09, 11:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

It's about time....now maybe others will follow.
I was getting tired of so many guys complaining about it. I never did. I've always driven with the music too loud to hear most anything. So does my wife. Her 06 rattles way more than my 07 but she doesn't hear a thing. We both love music and always turn the jam on. I have a sub and amp in my car so rattles don't have a chance. Neither do my ears. JK...I don't play it as loud as the kids but I do push the bass quite a bit.
Welcome to the world of rattle-free driving.
Old 11-28-09, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Rattles can be fixed.
Sometimes.

The ones deep down inside and behind dashes, though, can be very difficult to deal with. So can ones that originate in the suspension.
Old 11-28-09, 03:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

i dont care anymore... it bothered me before... a lot... thing is, there is always something wrong, and if you are **** about it, you wont be able to enjoy anything.
Old 11-28-09, 05:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which Lexus you have? Most of mine didn't rattle.Only couple of them did like my Old SCs.
Old 11-28-09, 05:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My GS rattles, JDM visors rattle when its windy, my brakes squeal....cant wait to see what 2nd year will bring but hey, im getting used to it as well
Old 11-28-09, 07:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the issue is also how quiet the car is. If you were driving a Jeep wrangler you wouldnt hear any rattles because it would all be rattling.

I still think that the Jeep wrangler is the worst car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. It had technology and build quality equal to that of my moms old Datsun 210 station wagon from 1981. seriously

Quick Reply: i am no longer paranoid about rattles. are you?