Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 04:31 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry

Hi guys,

I am currently shopping for a car for my father. So far, he has narrowed it down to the 2010 Accord LX-P and 2010 Camry LE. We got a quote from the Toyota dealer for a 2010 LE with alloy wheels and auto-dimming mirrors for around $22.3k. The original price was $25,111. The sales manager told me he was willing to go only a couple under the quote he gave me. Now, having test droven both, my father said he likes the interior space, and the steering response of the Accord more, but both is an option. I will be visiting another Honda dealer tomorrow, but the price I obtained for a 2010 LX-P was $23.5k marked down from roughly the same price as the Camry. (25k) I was wondering if anyone has experience with purchasing these vehicles and have been able to negotiate for better deals, and whether or not I am getting fair deals for the two models. Now I am aware the 8th generation Accord has had some minor problems such as the squealing brakes, but can anyone tell me other problems for these cars from experience?

Thanks,
LXotic
Old 11-27-09, 04:40 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about neither; you're selling yourself short if you don't check out the Mazda6, the Ford Fusion, the Subaru Legacy, the Chevrolet Malibu, and the Nissan Altima.
Old 11-27-09, 06:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think you'll find very minimal problems with both cars.. We all know Honda and Toyotas reliability is through the roof.. Both are great cars and both offer V6 engines with great HP..

Last edited by tmf2004; 11-29-09 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-27-09, 07:15 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Or, if you can wait a little while longer, check out the redesigned Hyundai Sonata, which, at least on paper, looks like it will be the best in its class when it comes out.
Old 11-27-09, 07:34 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The LX-P compared to the base Camry LE is a steal since the Camry only has keyless entry, wheel covers, manual seats but power everything and a 6-speed auto compared to the Accord's 5-speed. However, the Accord LX-P has alloy wheels, power driver's seat, both the front windows are auto-operated and a basic alarm compared to the LX.
Old 11-27-09, 07:38 PM
LexFather

I have to say a pet peeve of mine is seeing people tell an OP "hey check out this car" when they ask for advice on specific vehicles.

I am a fan of both cars and in this case I think the Accord is the better buy here. I've driven both and like both for what they are. If you could, wait until the end of December as dealers do not want to pay taxes on unsold inventory......they are even more willing to deal then.

Originally Posted by LXotic
Hi guys,

I am currently shopping for a car for my father. So far, he has narrowed it down to the 2010 Accord LX-P and 2010 Camry LE. We got a quote from the Toyota dealer for a 2010 LE with alloy wheels and auto-dimming mirrors for around $22.3k. The original price was $25,111. The sales manager told me he was willing to go only a couple under the quote he gave me. Now, having test droven both, my father said he likes the interior space, and the steering response of the Accord more, but both is an option. I will be visiting another Honda dealer tomorrow, but the price I obtained for a 2010 LX-P was $23.5k marked down from roughly the same price as the Camry. (25k) I was wondering if anyone has experience with purchasing these vehicles and have been able to negotiate for better deals, and whether or not I am getting fair deals for the two models. Now I am aware the 8th generation Accord has had some minor problems such as the squealing brakes, but can anyone tell me other problems for these cars from experience?

Thanks,
LXotic

Old 11-27-09, 07:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Toyota has a better transmission IMO. More gears and smoother shifts. That being said, if I were to buy an automatic, FWD vehicle right now it would be a Fusion hybrid.
Old 11-27-09, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
How about neither; you're selling yourself short if you don't check out the Mazda6, the Ford Fusion, the Subaru Legacy, the Chevrolet Malibu, and the Nissan Altima.
Or the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse. It's not your grandfather's Buick.

However, if it boils down to a choice of Accord/Camry, I agree the Accord is a better choice. The Camry LE does win on powertrain smoothness, noise level, smooth ride, brakes, and overall refinement, but the Accord, IMO, trumps it on interior materials/quality, steering response, overall build quality, and general road manners. Both cars have superb paint jobs. The Accord strikes me as being the better-built of the two cars, which, in my book, is very important.

Neither one, though, in some ways, is comparable to the build quality of past Camrys/Accords, especially the superb ones from the early/mid-90s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 09:56 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to say a pet peeve of mine is seeing people tell an OP "hey check out this car" when they ask for advice on specific vehicles.
Amen.

I would go with the Accord. I had one over the summer as a rental, and I was surprised at how spacious it was...think I averaged about 28 mpg (some city, and some AC) for a 1200 mile trip. The brake squealing does get annoying, its not as bad when your windows are up, but it sucks when its really nice out and you just want the windows down.
Old 11-27-09, 10:54 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to talk to the Fleet Sales Manager to get the best no BS deal. A member here referred me to do that and it paid off for my 2010 Camry. Less than 10 min of talk, 0 negotiation, and we got the car for our price
Old 11-27-09, 10:56 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXotic
Hi guys,

Thanks,
LXotic
I prefer the accord, its alot more interesting to drive and has a very nice interior. Get the leather and the v6 and your set
Old 11-27-09, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

yup. just bought an accord v6 with my mom this weekend and we went straight to the fleet sales manager. I have to say I am amazed at how quick the accord V6 is. They really do give you a lot for your money in this class
Old 11-27-09, 11:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's any of the previous Gen, Camry is better than Accord.
But the I would choose the Accord over the Camry for the current Gen.
Old 11-28-09, 12:32 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would pick the camry.

It has the better powertrain - 6 speed transmission, smoother, and quieter.

I had a honda accord before my IS250, and the transmission was not up to the level of the toyota. Both cars are very good, but for everyday driving you dad will be much more conformable in the camry - for both long and short drives.
Old 11-28-09, 01:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I've driven and rented both and I'd pick the Camry w/o hesitation. The smooth powertrain is worth it. I am guessing your dad is not after sporting drives, which the Accord would excel in.
While we're talking about these cars, some of my biggest pet peves with Honda is their stinginess with options, features, and colors. Offering the Accord in 2010 WITHOUT a manual auto shifter is rediculous. The Camry gained this feature for 2010. Also, Honda has some of the weakest, most primitive color options in the business. It's roughly been the same colors combos for the past ten years. If you've seen one Accord, you've seen one hundred. Along the same lines, you can't create and build your own model with certain options. This type of "we decide for you so we save money" arrogance ticks me off (Nissan pulls similar shinadigans, forcing you into expensive packages to get common items). At least with Toyota you can option out an LE model with several features you may want or keep them off to keep the price down ("choice", what a brilliant concept!).
And lastly, the Accord is due for it's facelift in less than a year. Don't know how much your dad would care about that, but the car would be "out-dated" shortly.
A few other things... There are no "problems" with any of these cars. Squeaky brakes is an annoying characteristic, not so much a true problem.
Best way to get the best deal is to email multiple internet departments. Skip over all sales BS and get right to the lowest price.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry