Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So You THINK You're Buying Premium Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 05:15 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
If you guys read the article it states that some of them were large chain gas stations as well.
Yes, that's *all* it is. Most of these stations are independent franchises. They are no better than the little guy, Mom and Pop stations.
Old 11-18-09, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If any of you guys owns cars that have direct injection, turbo or super charger, use Chevron or Shell V-power gas, its cheap insurance.
Old 11-18-09, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

There's a gasoline wholesaler in my area who also owns a retail chain of mini marts/gas stations called Gas City. They supply gas to a large number of the chain retailers (Shell, bp, etc.) too.

The major part of the various chains business is marketing and branding, the gas is the same except for each brands "special?" additives.
Old 11-18-09, 01:55 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
I only mess with the big chain guys. I never trusted the mom and pop off named stations.
Originally Posted by Boomer01
Agree, major chains only.
Ahhhhhhh but these weren't exactly mom n pop's store.

READ

Originally Posted by Lil4X
You've always suspected it. You buy a tank of premium and your engine knocks. Why? Isn't this stuff supposed to be regulated? Evidently not, as a few of our local gas stations have been caught cutting their premium fuel with regular and selling the result at premium prices.

It's an almost perfect crime, made possible by ECU's that dial back your spark advance when sensors detect pre-ignition knock. You may not even know you've been ripped off, except that your car's performance is sluggish. You are paying a 20¢ premium for the good stuff, and somebody's "watering it down" with regular unleaded, making themselves a tidy profit in the bargain.

How did investigators detect this crime? Like Al Capone who was done in by his paper trail, it was fuel receipts that eventually exposed the thieves. Surprisingly, it wasn't just being done at the local station, but by the retail company. Here's the story of one local fuel transporter that got caught:

http://www.khou.com/news/Records-sho...-70233502.html
Old 11-18-09, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Mobil was acquired by Exxon http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=xom. Brithish Petroleum (BP) acquired Amoco and ARCO (Atlantic Richfield Corporation). Shell and ExxonMobil are the biggest petroleum companies in the whole entire world...
Thanks for the reality check. I had already known that, but I just got the four of them mixed up in my memory as to who bought who (Mobil, Exxon, Amoco, BP) when I posted.
Old 11-18-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Thanks for further clarification/facts here. I know we have some posters with actual experience in the oil/gas field too.
Yes, I admit, that was a slight mix-up on my part (see my answer, above, to Trexus). I knew about both sales/buy-outs (I was actrually sorry, at the time, to see both of them sold), but had them mixed up as to who bought who. Just a slight partial memory lapse.

Hey, I'm human. No one is perfect.
Old 11-18-09, 08:36 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I filled up in Mexico on "premium" at PEMEX, my Honda Accord never pinged a day in its life until I tried to get on the freeway headed back to the states on that crap.
Old 11-19-09, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I admit, that was a slight mix-up on my part (see my answer, above, to Trexus). I knew about both sales/buy-outs (I was actrually sorry, at the time, to see both of them sold), but had them mixed up as to who bought who. Just a slight partial memory lapse.

Hey, I'm human. No one is perfect.
Yes, agreed. And we actually get some facts on CAR CHAT not just chit chat, which is the advantage of a forum that draws on people with real expertise in many diverse fields.

My response was to Trexus noting his factual update.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-19-09 at 07:54 AM.