Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS, IS named most reliable cars in Germany; first in customer satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 04:18 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Plus if a car burns less fuel going the same distance, it will usually product less emission.
Old 11-06-09, 04:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only some pollutants are reduced via diesel versus petrol engine, not all.
Old 11-06-09, 05:52 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Diesel hybrid is a bad idea. Diesel engines typically have a cost premium over gasoline engines. Hybrids also have a cost premium over gasoline engines. Put the two together, and you have a big cost premium. Adding a diesel with a hybrid system would ruin the purpose of lowering emissions.
I believe that VW is going to make a Diesel Hybrid, so I don't see why Lexus shouldn't. Since Lexus is a luxury brand they have more leverage for a price premium than VW.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is not "all their eggs in one basket". Is the fact that German brands offer more diesel than gas engines in Europe considered "all their eggs in one basket too"?

Lexus is not going for huge volume in Western Europe.

Toyota is simply giving the Lexus brand a unique attribute in the Western European luxury market, and that is hybrid specialization.

Toyota wants to maintain a strong image for Lexus in Western Europe; they do not want to go to the low-end of the market that much.

There is no way Toyota can offer more diesel choices with the Lexus brand than the German brands. Germans specialize in diesels, but Lexus wants to cement the fact that it specializes in hybrids into people's minds.

In Europe, when people think "luxury diesel" they immediately think German brands. Lexus wants to immediately be known when people think "luxury hybrid", just like most people almost automatically think Prius when there is a hybrid discussion.

The Eastern European market is a little different, and Lexus will continue to offer a range of gasoline engines there.

Quite a few Western European countries are becoming more and more conscious and concerned about the environment and emissions, which is why Lexus hybrids in that market are gaining popularity. The main problem right now is there is no hybrid even close to affordable. The cheapest hybrid in the market (and currently the most popular Lexus hybrid there) is the RX hybrid. The CT hybrid-only hatch will do a lot to help improve sales in Western Europe.

Typically one would think "the more options the better", but it's not always true. Years ago Mercedes started to cut down their trims and model lines, and continues to do so currently. Why; it is because they had far too many different model lines, and it was overwhelming and confusing to many average consumers.
I agree with you that Lexus specializing in hybrids is a good thing, but I don't think they should have a 100% hybrid lineup (which is what they said they want to do). Having more hybrid options than the Germans is a good thing, only having hybrids with no petrol or diesel options could be a bad thing.
Old 11-08-09, 03:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
hmm, well emissions are greatly reduced on a diesel v. petrol engine, so...
Really? We're not just talking about carbon dioxide, but about nitrogen oxide, and soot (particulate) particles that come exclusively from diesel vehicles, and not gasoline vehicles. There are also hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and sulphur dioxide. Do you honestly think diesel engines emit less exhaust emissions in terms of all these different pollutants?

There is a reason why no diesel engine is emissions rated as SULEV or PZEV in the US.
Old 11-08-09, 06:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

good job Lexus. I hope they can get the GS on that list