Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

cadillac escalade reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 01:27 PM
aspec07
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cadillac escalade reliable?

i'm thinking of getting a large suv, really like how the Escalade looks, but are they reliable? anyone on this froum got one please tell me your experience thanks!
Old 10-28-09, 01:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Escalade reliability is average at best. Quality/reliability surveys do not rate the Escalade very highly, and I have heard about numerous reliability issues on GM forums.
Old 10-28-09, 01:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're a bit above average in reliability according to most surveys I've seen. I have also seen a couple of surveys that say they're a bit below average, but not by much. More importantly than that they're generally cheaper and easier to repair than most other luxury brand SUVs, and the stuff that breaks is usually small trivial type things, not major stuff that'll leave you stranded.

I would buy used though. Definitely get the current generation since it's a huge improvement over the last generation (I wouldn't even consider the last generation, used or not)... but used will save you a ton of $$ since they depreciate pretty quickly when new.

Other than that they're pretty nice. Decently smooth ride, though keep in mind they are body on frame... true SUV capable of off roading and towing (though the factory wheels wouldn't support off roading very well, the frame/suspension will) like a real truck, not a car made to look like an SUV. Interior on them is very nice and pretty quiet. I believe they make somewhere around 400 horsepower and put it through a 6-speed automatic.

Last edited by Threxx; 10-28-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

At the risk of opening a can of worms - Consumer Reports says "Reliability remains well below average".
Old 10-28-09, 02:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude its GM. You ever wonder why they sell for 50K what the rest of the high end manufacturers sell for 65-80k?? Its because they sell ****. The Escallade is just based on a lower GM product. X5,x6, Range rovers are not based on smaller ****tier platforms. Its a American saying that " you get what you pay for"
Old 10-28-09, 02:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Dude its GM. You ever wonder why they sell for 50K what the rest of the high end manufacturers sell for 65-80k?? Its because they sell ****. The Escallade is just based on a lower GM product. X5,x6, Range rovers are not based on smaller ****tier platforms. Its a American saying that " you get what you pay for"
The Escalade may not be the most reliable vehicle in its class but it would decimate a Rover or X5 in reliability and especially total cost of repairs.
Old 10-28-09, 02:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Consumer reports has a flawed survey method. They survey only their readers. Thus people who have experiences that are verified by CR ratings will continue to read CR and fill out CR surveys. People who find their real world results refute CR's data will quit paying attention to CR and quit filling out their surveys. Their survey methods are flawed because they're basically self-fulfilling. This doesn't make them completely inaccurate, but it does make them slow to reflect change in the industry. Their results are likely to be more similar to their last survey's results than they really are in reality.

Aside from that, CR says the Escalade is about 20% less reliable than the average vehicle.

JD Power actually rates it about the opposite... about 20% more reliable than the average vehicle.

The least reliable lucury SUVs according to CR are the Touareg (actually the least reliable vehicle in their entire survey!), GL-class, X5, R-class, Land Rover LR2, and Audi Q7. Most reliable are Lexus RX and Benz GLK.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Lexus LX570 in a HEARTBEAT over the Escalade if I were given the choice of either one for free. But if you're looking for value, a depreciated lightly used Escalade for 30-35 grand is very hard to beat compared to a 80 thousand dollar LX570. The Escalade could spontaneously combust 3 times over before it'd cost you more than the LX.
Old 10-28-09, 02:44 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Escalades are pretty reliable, but to me its pretty much a more expensive Suburban with wood trim. Why not get a GMC Yukon Denali? Those are luxorious and are decently reliable.
Old 10-28-09, 02:44 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
They're a bit above average in reliability according to most surveys I've seen. I have also seen a couple of surveys that say they're a bit below average, but not by much. More importantly than that they're generally cheaper and easier to repair than most other luxury brand SUVs, and the stuff that breaks is usually small trivial type things, not major stuff that'll leave you stranded.

I wouldn't buy used though. Definitely get the current generation since it's a huge improvement over the last generation (I wouldn't even consider the last generation, used or not)... but used will save you a ton of $$ since they depreciate pretty quickly when new.

Been on the GM boards lately, very true... looking at the hybrid...
Old 10-28-09, 02:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lamar411
Escalades are pretty reliable, but to me its pretty much a more expensive Suburban with wood trim. Why not get a GMC Yukon Denali? Those are luxorious and are decently reliable.
Yeah Yukon Denali has the same powertrain as the Escalade and 90% of the same features with way less bling. I'd actually go with it over the Escalade because I don't like a lot of chrome and flashy wheels/badges.
Old 10-28-09, 02:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I just realized my first reply to this thread said "I wouldn't buy used". I meant to say "would buy used" as was probably obvious by what I said afterward.
Old 10-28-09, 03:08 PM
Milla...

If you don't mind the googlely eyes of the Denali go with it, but if you're into the bling of the cady you won't be dissapointed. All those 80k SUVs are the ones you need to stay away from if your concerned about reliability. The new LX is just flat out gross looking.
Old 10-28-09, 03:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Milla...
If you don't mind the googlely eyes of the Denali go with it, but if you're into the bling of the cady you won't be dissapointed. All those 80k SUVs are the ones you need to stay away from if your concerned about reliability. The new LX is just flat out gross looking.
What does "gross looking" and "reliable" have to do with each other ? The LX is very reliable FYI. I also hear the Porsche Cayenne is pretty reliable.
Old 10-28-09, 03:40 PM
aspec07
Rookie

The Escalade is doing the $6000 cash back and 0% for 72 months, how does the $6000 work? can i still negotiate more off? how much does people pay for this car anway.
Old 10-28-09, 03:40 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aspec07
i'm thinking of getting a large suv, really like how the Escalade looks, but are they reliable? anyone on this froum got one please tell me your experience thanks!
As an owner of 2007 Escalade, I'll chime in. I bought mine in October 2006 during the first model year. Overall, the Escalade has been great. No major issues, just a few minor TSBs that were quickly taken care of at the dealership.

Here are a few things I dislike:

1. No one touch express up on windows - think this changed on 2009s.
2. No bluetooth - present on 2009s.
3. Gas mileage is abysmal - ha, I expected this.
4. Local Caddy dealer is definitely not "luxurious." Big difference in treament compared to my experience with Lexus and MB dealers...definitely no free pastries or lattes
5. Fake wood trim - looks real enough, but still bugs me.

In spite of these negatives, I love my Escalade. Great exterior styling, very comfortable, lots of power, smooth ride, nice HIDs and a great exhaust note (even better since I added a Corsa Touring Exhaust). Build quaility has been great, no rattles after 35k miles.

I would definitely recommend this vehicle to potential buyers.

Quick Reply: cadillac escalade reliable?