Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Cool 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)

Here is the heads up link here. If you didn't pre-resister, you can still come the day off and sign up. Its a long read!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...?highlight=srx

Well today my G/F and I attended this event at Permiter Mall in GA, one of the more upscale malls here in a very nice zip code. Cadillac set up their event in a great spot, right in front the main entrance across the valet parking with huge tents with "Cadillac" written on them.

I pre-registered earlier and it was a breeze, just sign the waiver form and go. You get a badge with your name on it and a Caddy Lanyard. I met CL member "Tee" there who was kind enough to wait for us even as he did the entire event. For those that don't know Tee has has a very nice modded LS 430 and is the point man for bringing the LS crew out in Atlanta.

It was cold (about 50 tops, windy) and luckily the drizzling ended when we arrived. Cadillac had a lot of staff there and EVERYONE was real friendly. Most were pretty knowledgeable which was a plus as I am not a Caddy expert.

The first vehicle I saw was the new CTS wagon then the SRX SUV. DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I am just in love with the design of the wagon, I think its superb. Not just the best looking wagon but ONE OF the best looking vehicles out period. We check it out and then walk to the competition section. Cadillac has these 3 as their target at this event
-X5
-RX 350
-GLK 350

All have NAV and some features, not bare bones models. To be honest TO ME they all look pretty good. The GLK is nice though it looks old already. The RX is clearly the "swoopy" one with the most design details and could be seen as the most feminine. The X5 is the biggest and came with a 3rd row and seemed the most butch.

We climb in the X5 and GLK as we have experience with the new RX so no need to check it out. After that we walk to new SRX, and it is a very good looking SUV. All of them are full of chrome with the chrome 20s. We then walk to the "culinary" area but don't eat. We check out another SRX and we are all pleasantly surprised with it parked.

Time to Drive. I will explain my driving experience and also our findings. Finally I'll list what my G/F thought, which provides insight to what most of the public thinks, since she IS NOT a car girl (I'm trying yall)

1. SRX V-6. I entered this vehicle with no prejudices even as the recent media has been pretty vocal bashing it. First off again, IT LOOKS FANTASTIC. A great blend of Caddy design. The 20s really look good as the long LEDs. Lots of sharp edges around but it doesn't seem overdone. It looks pretty sinister in black with all the chrome. My G/F loved the ruby red.

Inside is similar to the CTS, nice stitching for instance. My G/F drove first, while Tee and I sat in the back. It was the only one with rear heated seats which worked GREAT today. It also was the only one with rear T.Vs. The rear seat also reclines. It was by far the best place for passengers in the rear! The big sunroof was well, big, and made it seem very airy. I loved it as well. Riding in it, it rode well, not bumpy and well cushioned. You felt less roll than in a RX 350 but more than both Germans. There was actually a nice "growl" that Tee and I felt was like a G35 or something. Much better sounding than the RX.

Driving it was confusing. Why? Well the interior is top notch, I love it. The NAV was cool, the gadgets were great, the seats were SUPERB (seriously great seats). The instrument cluster is Lexus like with the way it glows but it has a very cool center area that has 25 different things you can turn to. From MPG to a timer, it was pretty cool and different. Everything seemed to be within reach.

The steering wheel felt good and again the seats were fine. I will tell you what I told the representative. Its like the engine is doing one thing, the tranny is doing another thing and the suspension is doing another thing. I mean it RUINED such a great vehicle. Power was adequate and felt much less ample than a RX 350 and the GLK. The Steering had a nice weight but you steer and hit the gas and they are talking to different computers. The tranny also was very rough and was the worst out the group. Loud and shifted hard.

Again it accelerated okay at best and handling was okay. I took it hard in a corner and there was less body roll than the RX but it still felt like a SUV up there. Outside of the drive, the vehicle was really nice inside and out. I am hoping it was harsh/bad b/c they are being used for these events. Sadly reviews seem to say the same.

The rear is very nice, it has a power liftgate. I love the brushed steel cargo lines in the rear. The rear also has a nice cargo bin under the floor. It seats 5 but this SUV actually has utility.

The reps mentioned the "turbo" is much faster and better. I hope so. I have to point out the SRX has a small "GM" badge on the car on the front sides. Tee and I both agreed they need to lose that fast. Yuck.

Overall, I have to say even with a pretty bad drive, the vehicle itself is pretty superb. Fit and Finish was good too. I can see Caddy going after the RX with features and tech and style but it tried to go German with the drive and it missed. Still, I have to say check it out and maybe your SRX will drive better or they are fixing the issue.

2. CTS Wagon. I was a little prejudiced b/c well, I like this vehicle. Like as in "I could see myself buying it, maybe". So I was VERY VERY VERY happy to drive it as it just came out. I drove the GSh today and sitting in the CTS, well it felt just as good. I never came across feeling this is Caddy's entry level vehicle. The driving vehicle didn't have the big double sunroof of the parked car and the interior had silver/carbon fiber simulation instead of wood. I liked it a lot and kudos to Caddy for offering it.

Like the SRX, things are familar. I like that and its a reason I have loved Lexus for near 14 years. You go from vehicle and vehicle and they all seem at home. The seats again were superb, instrumentation was as well and controls were in reach. No one complained about room in the rear. The car drove much better, good weight to the steering wheel but not very harsh to turn. Power was the normal V-6 (270hp btw) so it was adequte but again, not what I would want in this wagon. Since its a lower car, I am comfortable with more power. CTS-V, hell yeah The ride was nice and smooth as was turn in. Power though was needed, I didn't feel I could overtake anyone in the vehicle and in a wagon, I need that. The car clearly handled like a car, in the same hard corner there was not much bodyroll but the steering to me wasn't completely communicative. Which was fine, nothing close to a deal breaker.

I walked out and the rear cargo room looks luxurious like the SRX. It is big too only about 4 cubes smaller than the SRX wagon. It also has a hidden compartment in the rear.

Overall I think I am going to drive the DI V-6 soon as the wagon impressed me with being so good looking AND offering good room. I PREFER a wagon to a SUV in regards to when I need utility.

My G/F, she didn't even drive it. Didn't care too. She does not like wagons period. Clearly, most of America feels the same way.

3. BMW X5.
This is the second time at a driving event the X5 leaves a great impression. The last time was the first gen at the Lexus event a few years ago. I actually like the X5 so my prejudice before hand was in its favor slightly. The vehicle parked had a beautiful saddle leather, think Lexus GS sportdesign or SC saddle. The one we drove was all black, with dark wood and aluminum. Not very inviting to us. I didn't mind it but not my first choice. This is the biggest of the group and my G/F drove it first. In the rear, there was tons of room. There are some vents in the middle and some at the sides. The handles though and some plastics just looked like an afterthought. No LED lights either. The rear seat is good for as Tee said "Frodo from Lord of the Rings would be like WTF". I mean its a seat in name only. Riding in it, I kept feeling the car grab, grab, grab and my G/F complained aobut the brakes. Then the Caddy person said how the BMW brakes are just awful. The entire ride, it feels like being in a rocking chair. Yuck. The ride though was very nice, I didn't feel a bump yet there was the least bodyroll out of the SUVs that I rode in.

There was a huge line to drive the X5 I noticed as we switched places. The intstrumentation is classic German, cold, stark, straightforward. So is the dash, nothing fancy looking, just straightforward and plain. The Nav could be split to show NAV while you tried to figure out I-Drive. Yes Figure out as its still frustrating using this **** for controls. I simply stopped using it, it is simply ridiculous. The Caddy rep also commented him and everyone hated it.
The seats were superb. The BMW had I swear 100 adjustments. I want to say there was a small German hand rubbing my nuts when I pressed this button. Yeah it takes 10 minutes to sit but you get the seat how you want. The leather is much harder than the soft Caddy's and Lexus. I have no issue with it, just a different way to do leather.

Now to the drive. Well I wanted to drive. BMW for whatever reason figures the transmission selector used the last few decades needs a revamp, so you get a nice ***** with buttons. I literally needed the Caddy rep to tell me how to move. I saw the person behind me go around as they couldn't wait anymore. So between I-drive, the seats and the selector, I was in the X5 for an hour before I moved.

I have to point out while the all the vehicles had a power lift \gate with a button on the rear deck, the BMW was the only one lighted here. Very user friendly.

Oh, the drive though!! As soon as I pulled off, I felt this was by far the most seamless of the bunch. This car had the smaller wheels and even so, it handled BEAUTIFULLY. The steering knew what I wanted, the car turned, there was hardly ANY bodyroll. I immediately thought "damn this is driving like the CTS wagon but its a SUV"! I wanted to gain so speed so I pressed the gas and well, nothing happened. Uhhhhhhh...as this point I was pretty drained this is the third vehicle to have adequate power and I would HAVE to get the bigger engine. It was quiet, it was smooth, it also was weak here. As for the transmission by far it was the smoothest of the bunch. Smooth as butter, even smoother than the RX to me. I don't even remember it shifting. So I take it into the hard corner and I am fully confident in this vehicle. I mean it literally is handling like the lower, lighter, smaller CTS wagon. The drive was absolutely superb but it needs the twin turbos, like yesterday. I think I am going to drive the V-8 X5 soon as I was pretty blown away by the drive.

Edit- I forgot about the brakes, they were horrid. Way to grabby and everyone commented how bad they were. The good thing was the car drove so well, I didn't need to use them much. Maybe a different pad? Good feel but way to sensitive.

4. Mercedes Benz GLK.
Well I was a little prejudiced going in b/c I feel it is pretty much a POS people buy b/c of the badge. Well let me tell you I am now 100% certain people buy this POS b/c of the badge. It was by far the worst vehicle here riding and driving. It is the smallest here and it had the big optional wheels (19s I think). The rear was small and there was NOTHING back there. It was black and stark and blah. The headliner was the same cheap material as my G/Fs 07 Altima. Legroom was an issue. It had the big sunroof but it felt more narrow than the SRX and like an after thought. The ride was bumpy and harsh. The cupholders in the rear were useless. The leather and plastics were horrid. It did feel like the fastest here.

So I go to drive and I notice the steering wheel wheels like complete wal-mart made under China plastic crap. Thats when the Caddy rep tells me the vehicle has "leatherrette". Disgusting, period. Its like having sex with a blow up doll. So I hated holding the steering wheel and you notice how cheap and bland the dash is. It had an aluminum strip up front which I guess is their idea style. The car drove similar to the X5 to me but the steering was not as accurate. Body roll was between the X5 and SRX. It was compact so it did feel fun and the V-6 had the least weight to pull. I passed a couple people but it sounded horrid full throttle. At least it did pass people. I took the hard corner and it did fine mostly b/c it felt smaller b/c it is smaller. It did feel like something that would give you issues if pushed. (sidebar-so Tee and I are riding in the back and I hear "damn that thing is ugly" and I look up and its a new base model TL. The rear exhausts look like they are falling off and the wheels look like 12" pizza pies" everyone then discusses in the GLK how ugly the TL is and how Acura design is just horrid)

I have to point out that Benz puts the cruise control stalk where Lexus has the indicator stalk. Benz has two stalks on the left side. I constantly hit the cruise control thinking it was the indicator. DUMB design.

The cargo room is the smallest as well. There was nothing very impressive about it and pretty much everything was a let down. It felt like an old GM product. The interior is simply an awful place to be in. You have to give props to the Mercedes Benz badge power (its the best selling cute ute) but you have to look at people with disdain b/c it simply is not very good.

After we finished Tee and my G/F liked the SRX the best, I liked the CTS wagon the best. Caddy has to be happy with those results. I also left impressed and with a positive impression of Caddy, even as the SRX crive was a let down. It is CLEAR they are trying here and props to them.

So my summary
SRX-
Good-best looking here, fantastic interior, great features and nifty tricks, good ride and handling, lots of room front and back and cargo, fit and finish
Bad-overall drive was like an American, a Japanese and a German bar joke

CTS Wagon
Good-great looking, fantastic interior, handles great, cargo room for a wagon, nifty features, great fit and finish
Bad-less headroom with the sunroofs, didn't drive any better than a BMW SUV, needs more power with the base engine

X5
Good-has aged well in looks, most room, nifty 3rd row/fold away, handles amazing for a SUV, steering is 100% on point, feels "solid"
Bad-needs more power, WTF I-drive and shift ****, no features, drab interior, awful grabby brakes

GLK
Good-like a chiwawa in a purse so its trendy, fastest in the group
Bad- cramped, awful interior, no cargo room, harsh ride, no features, no leather, no luxury, have you seen a chiwawa in a dog fight?

I will post a few pics later. Watching the Yankees and if this fool throws one more wild-pitch I will drive a GLK up his ***.

Sidebar II- What about the RX? Well it is the least fun of this bunch but its so 'least" you don't push the vehicle. Its also like the BMW as in it drives what it is meant for and gets it done right. UNSPORTY. The RX has the most stylish interior, great fit and finish, its the fastest here and has tons of nifty features. The Caddy reps all remarked how the "remote touch" was by far better than I-drive. Being a long time Lexus owner, it would be hard to leave the brand for the SRX as the SRX doesn't drive better. It tries to outdo the RX with style and features. If I made the jump, it would be to the CTS wagon which is well, a wagon or to a bigger, higher level X5 but it would HAVE to have the V-8. Though if I ever did a 3RX, its the RX 450h which is in a class by itself. If anything the RX has against it, it is "image" which was mentioned by all of us and Caddy reps. What is amazing is the RX is selling in the volume as the pre-recession volume. It hasn't changed while everything else has dropped.

Sidebar III- Where was Acura, Volvo and others? Caddy said they are targeting leaders here and felt the GLK was the best cute-ute, the RX is the SUV to beat and the X5 is the sporty SUV they target.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-17-09 at 07:50 PM.

Old 10-17-09, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks, Mike......nice write-ups , although, with some of your phrases, like these:

I want to say there was a small German hand rubbing my nuts when I pressed this button.

Its like having sex with a blow up doll.

The rear seat is good for as Tee said "Frodo from Lord of the Rings would be like WTF".
You're beginning to sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

It's interesting how you noted that the SRX's engine and transmission were not well-matched. Usually GM does a very good job with automatics. I agree that the CTS wagon is a looker (I saw one at the D.C Auto show last February)....and I understand you can get AWD drive with it to make it like a super-deluxe Outback.

I also agree on several points with the X5.....the I-Drive and the electronic tranny shifter both s**k, and the leather is definitely not as smooth or slick as that found in a Lexus. Can't beat that BMW steering and chassis, though. In general, they simply are the best.....you found that out for yourself. And the M-B "Leatherette" and M-B Tex upholstery....well, you know what I've said about that stuff from my own reviews. Sounds like you agree with me.

BTW, that "rocking-horse" ride sensation you mentioned is rather common to a number of SUV's, particularly those with realtively high stances and short wheelbases.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 07:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Mike......nice write-ups , although, with some of your phrases, like these:

You're beginning to sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

It's interesting how you noted that the SRX's engine and transmission were not well-matched. Usually GM does a very good job with automatics. I agree that the CTS wagon is a looker (I saw one at the D.C Auto show last February)....and I understand you can get AWD drive with it to make it like a super-deluxe Outback.

I also agree on several points with the X5.....the I-Drive and the electronic tranny shifter both s**k, and the leather is definitely not as smooth or slick as that found in a Lexus. Can't beat those BMW steering systems and chassis, though......you found that out for yourself. And the M-B "Leatherette" and M-B Tex upholstery....well, you know what I've said about that stuff from my own reviews. Sounds like you agree with me.

BTW, that "rocking-horse" ride sensation you mentioned is rather common to a number of SUV's, particularly those with realtively high stances and short wheelbases.
Thanks Mike, I do need to edit b/c I forgot to say how bad the X5 brakes were, thus the rocking......

Old 10-18-09, 02:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

IMHO the SRX still look like a cheaper American SUV, the BMW is showing its age like Joan Rivers , and the GLK is no looker. I think that the RX is the hands down winner in this comparison
Old 10-18-09, 03:23 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 160 Likes on 94 Posts

Great review. The SRX has come a long way, but the flaws you mentioned are a shame. I still like the new RX the most and it would be my choice.
Old 10-18-09, 04:27 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You claim people only buy the GLK because of the badge, right? Not totally true. Some people, yes. Others see more than the badge in the GLK. This might come as a shock to you but some people find the car attractive and stylish. Some people find the GLK appealing because of the Mercedes reputation for safety. The term "buys a car because of the badge" can apply to ANY car in this comparison by the way. I'm sure many people find the RX ugly, but they buy it nonetheless because the Lexus badge stands for something.

The interior of the GLK is not cheap, at least to me. This is a subjective issue anyway. There's a difference between "cheap" and "spartan". The GLK cockpit is spartan and the design is ugly in my opinion, but the materials and the construction cannot be labeled as cheap.

You claim the use of aluminum strips in the GLK cabin is their idea of style, right? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the RX also use this metal across its dashboard? Guess it is the Lexus idea of style, too? Style is subjective, is it not? I've seen the new RX at the Stuttgart dealer. I didn't find the interior to be as great as it is made out here. It's a great interior from a workmanship point of view as well as material, but it doesn't seem "worlds apart" from those of its competitors (in my opinion).

Also, the Cadillac has leatherette seats, I gather? So what? Some people don't care whether or not the leather is real or fake. As long as it looks and feels nice most people will be satisfied. If the market had a problem with fake leather then car companies would react by striking it and offering the real thing. The fact of the matter is, most people couldn't be bothered. If it looks and feels nice it satisfies the buyer.
Old 10-18-09, 08:32 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So my summary
SRX-
Good-best looking here, fantastic interior, great features and nifty tricks, good ride and handling, lots of room front and back and cargo, fit and finish
Bad-overall drive was like an American, a Japanese and a German bar joke

CTS Wagon
Good-great looking, fantastic interior, handles great, cargo room for a wagon, nifty features, great fit and finish
Bad-less headroom with the sunroofs, didn't drive any better than a BMW SUV, needs more power with the base engine

X5
Good-has aged well in looks, most room, nifty 3rd row/fold away, handles amazing for a SUV, steering is 100% on point, feels "solid"
Bad-needs more power, WTF I-drive and shift ****, no features, drab interior, awful grabby brakes

GLK
Good-like a chiwawa in a purse so its trendy, fastest in the group
Bad- cramped, awful interior, no cargo room, harsh ride, no features, no leather, no luxury, have you seen a chiwawa in a dog fight?

I will post a few pics later. Watching the Yankees and if this fool throws one more wild-pitch I will drive a GLK up his ***.
[/I]
Good reviews Mike.

I have to assume you drove the X5 3.0 vs. the 4.4 or 4.8. Even the 4.4 has tons of power for such a huge vehicle. That is one of the few things that actually impresses me about ours....and of course the handling. Although the steering is tight and responsive, I do understand the comments from some people that say driving it is too much like work. I much prefer the more balanced, slightly less responsive steering in the ML. The interiors have gotten better. It is nice that they have so many options for different color combos that you can actually select. The seats are also a step up from the last gen. It's always so disappointing getting in our X5 after driving the F or even the ML.

I told you months ago basically everything you said about the GLK.
Glad you got to finally drive one and see for yourself. It's a pointless, pos that still sells well. Image is everything.

I agree with you that the RX still has the best interior. The ride is such an improvement in the latest gen, and is perfect for the target demographic.
The sales clearly show that Lexus still got it right with the new RX.
Old 10-18-09, 09:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
You claim people only buy the GLK because of the badge, right? Not totally true. Some people, yes. Others see more than the badge in the GLK. This might come as a shock to you but some people find the car attractive and stylish. Some people find the GLK appealing because of the Mercedes reputation for safety. The term "buys a car because of the badge" can apply to ANY car in this comparison by the way. I'm sure many people find the RX ugly, but they buy it nonetheless because the Lexus badge stands for something.

The interior of the GLK is not cheap, at least to me. This is a subjective issue anyway. There's a difference between "cheap" and "spartan". The GLK cockpit is spartan and the design is ugly in my opinion, but the materials and the construction cannot be labeled as cheap.

You claim the use of aluminum strips in the GLK cabin is their idea of style, right? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the RX also use this metal across its dashboard? Guess it is the Lexus idea of style, too? Style is subjective, is it not? I've seen the new RX at the Stuttgart dealer. I didn't find the interior to be as great as it is made out here. It's a great interior from a workmanship point of view as well as material, but it doesn't seem "worlds apart" from those of its competitors (in my opinion).

Also, the Cadillac has leatherette seats, I gather? So what? Some people don't care whether or not the leather is real or fake. As long as it looks and feels nice most people will be satisfied. If the market had a problem with fake leather then car companies would react by striking it and offering the real thing. The fact of the matter is, most people couldn't be bothered. If it looks and feels nice it satisfies the buyer.
My findings were no different than the 3 other people in the GLK and what reviews have said. It has been dead last in every review and if you read CAR or EVO they bash it to no end. My findings were the same, it is HORRID. Hopefully "Tee" will chime in as well.
1. The interior is cheap and spartan. One comment was "how could this be a Mercedes Benz"? It is an awful place, its like they didn't even look at what the competition offered. Its no better than the Kia Borrego I reviewed.
2. You cannot begin to compare the RX and GLK dash .The RX is a one of a kind sweeping dashboard that people love. The GLK is drab, with lots of black plastic. The Caddy rep even pointed out "I can't figure what this part is for" and pointed at some big black block on the dash.
3. All the Caddy's had real leather, it felt good and plush. The GLK was the only one to offer pleather.

Again, people are buying it (its the best selling cute ute) and to me it is 100% b/c of the badge which means more power to Mercedes. Again, my findings are no different than reviews worldwide. It is the worst vehicle in class.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Good reviews Mike.

I have to assume you drove the X5 3.0 vs. the 4.4 or 4.8. Even the 4.4 has tons of power for such a huge vehicle. That is one of the few things that actually impresses me about ours....and of course the handling. Although the steering is tight and responsive, I do understand the comments from some people that say driving it is too much like work. I much prefer the more balanced, slightly less responsive steering in the ML. The interiors have gotten better. It is nice that they have so many options for different color combos that you can actually select. The seats are also a step up from the last gen. It's always so disappointing getting in our X5 after driving the F or even the ML.

I told you months ago basically everything you said about the GLK.
Glad you got to finally drive one and see for yourself. It's a pointless, pos that still sells well. Image is everything.

I agree with you that the RX still has the best interior. The ride is such an improvement in the latest gen, and is perfect for the target demographic.
The sales clearly show that Lexus still got it right with the new RX.
Yeah the X5 to me would have been the pick of the SUVs if it had more power. It really feels well built and it drove like the CTS wagon! Its bigger and heavier than everything else here. Great feat by BMW.

The RX is simply amazing b/c it really doesn't have any huge flaws and the positives are overwhelming. Clearly if you want a sportier drive, you won't think twice about a RX. Most people don't care though, thus its sales are simply astounding.

The GLK, yeah, I agree with you.

Old 10-18-09, 10:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

As much as I lover Mercedes, I have to agree with Mike. The interior quality is HORRIBLE. I did not expect Mercedes to dip down so low considering all their other cars are pretty good in that department. I tried liking the GLK, but there is nothing to like about it. The money invested in making the GLK could be better put towards R&D.
Old 10-18-09, 12:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, sounds like a neat event, and thanks for posting! You were very complimentary towards the SRX, X5, and of course RX...I pretty much agree with the assessment of the strengths, ride, etc. and overall character of each. However, I am not as wowed by the SRX's styling as some; moreover, IIRC from reviews the cargo room is not as substantial as the RX. The X5 was also recalled earlier this year for faulty brakes, which may not work well in emergency stopping. Still, each vehicle has merit; the SRX does the crossover with Cadillac's interpretation, the X5 has the sportiest drive. I am not a fan of the GLK at all, I wish they had gone more for a mini-ML look rather than a back-to-1980s style. The CTS wagon looks interesting, although I wonder what sales expectations they have for such a vehicle.

BTW, how many models of each were at the event? At ToL, there was only 1 S550 and 1 750Li to multiple LS 460s/460Ls, so the line was longer for the latter (particularly S550). It's anecdotal, but the level of interest in each...long line for X5 as well? Although considering the market, perhaps the buyers lines are for RX and Enclave.

Last edited by encore888; 10-18-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 02:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Wow, sounds like a neat event, and thanks for posting! You were very complimentary towards the SRX, X5, and of course RX...I pretty much agree with the assessment of the strengths, ride, etc. and overall character of each. However, I am not as wowed by the SRX's styling as some; moreover, IIRC from reviews the cargo room is not as substantial as the RX. The X5 was also recalled earlier this year for faulty brakes, which may not work well in emergency stopping. Still, each vehicle has merit; the SRX does the crossover with Cadillac's interpretation, the X5 has the sportiest drive. I am not a fan of the GLK at all, I wish they had gone more for a mini-ML look rather than a back-to-1980s style. The CTS wagon looks interesting, although I wonder what sales expectations they have for such a vehicle.

BTW, how many models of each were at the event? At ToL, there was only 1 S550 and 1 750Li to multiple LS 460s/460Ls, so the line was longer for the latter (particularly S550). It's anecdotal, but the level of interest in each...long line for X5 as well? Although considering the market, perhaps the buyers lines are for RX and Enclave.
I'm uploading pics now.....There were 2 of each of the competition, one set was parked so you can look in at will, the other batch for driving.

There were tons of SRXs....I counted 2 CTS wagons though. Oh and a Escalade Hybrid parked but no thanks.

Old 10-18-09, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Nice CTS Wagon inside and out and the hidden rear cargo...
GLK isn't bad looking to me with the big wheels
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-001.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-005.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-002.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-004.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-009.jpg  

Old 10-18-09, 03:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn, that wagon is so fugly, IMO.
Old 10-18-09, 03:56 PM
LexFather

First pic is the disgusting GLK interior. No its not a pic of a 20 year old Jeep Cherokee
That button is the lighted one on the X5 I thought was nifty. Love the saddle leather too. BMW has a 3rd row. Now it is pretty small BUT if you "want" one it is there. Also I am showing pics of how easy it is to drop flat and the 2nd row drops flat so its easy and nifty. Also notice how the X5 has a 2 piece rear door. Everyone else has a one piece.
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-010.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-012.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-017.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-014.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-011.jpg  

Old 10-18-09, 03:59 PM
LexFather

The SRX looks great inside and out and really felt well built. The rear as you can see here has some tricks for rear passengers. We liked the brown leather on the top of the dash here and we all liked the Caddy stitching on the dashes.

They really did a good job with the exterior/interior
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-021.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-022.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-019.jpg   1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)-caddy-srx-event-oct-09-020.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)