Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h

By widespread CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Lexus HS250h.

http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/

In a Nutshell: Much less dorky than the Prius, and, otherwise, a generally good car, but the drivetrain could use some improvement.

(Two-tone NAV interior shown......I couldn't find any images of the base, all-black interior)

The all-new Lexus HS250 hybrid has generated a lot of interest at CL (which is to be expected, of course, as CL is primarily a Lexus forum). I have received a number of requests to review an HS, but, up to now, they have just not been available in the D.C. area (same with the 2010 Buick LaCrosse and Ford Flex EcoBoost, which I also have review requests for). Nor did Lexus bring an HS250 to the D.C. Auto Show last February for a preview display. Some of you, of course, have already seen the car in other cities, and may (?) have had a chance to drive one. And, of course, there have already been a number of reviews in the auto press and magazines. But, just this morning, a factory program (demonstrator) HS250h became available at a local Lexus shop not far away (one of the first HS250's to come into this area)...it was not for sale, but they invited me up for a review and test-drive. So (finally), it was into my Outback and off for the long-awaited review.

The HS250, of course, represents a marked shift away from the previous tendency, at Lexus, to only design and market larger V6/V8 hybrids, such as with the RX, GS, and the super-expensive LS600h, which can easily run over $100,000. The HS250, while slightly larger in length than the IS250/350, is not a large vehicle by any means, and its basic styling leads many people (falsely) to believe that it is a redone Toyota Corolla, or at least done off the Corolla platform. This is not so.....the HS250 is actually done off of a 4-door sedan platform called the Avensis, which is not available in the American market, though a 2-door coupe, based on that platform, is sold here as the Scion tC. The HS250 is also the first use of a 4-cylinder hybrid in the Lexus lineup, though, of course, a huge number of 4-cylinder Toyota Prius hybrids have been sold here and abroad....not to mention the large number of smaller 4-cylinder Honda Hybrids too.

The HS250 comes in two trim lines....the base HS250h and the HS250 Premium. Both use the same 2.4L in-line VVTi 4-cylinder engine, with the Atkinson Cycle typical of Hybrid use. The only available transmission (again, as with most small hybrids), is an electronically controlled CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). While smooth, quiet and refined (like most Lexus transmissions), this does not appear to be the most efficient or responsive CVT on the market (more on that below). Lexus does not publish torque or max-power RPM figures for its hybrid powerplants (why, I don't know), only the total horsepower, which is 187, so that is the only official figure I can give. NAV-equipped cars come with a mouselike control, mounted on the console, for the computer screen, more or less similiar to the mouse-control used in the larger Lexus RX models (I did not have the NAV in my test car, but did sample the mouse-control last February in my 2010 RX350 review).

As I mentioned above, the test HS250h (a base model) I reviewed and drove today did not have the Nav. It was a Sapphire Black Pearl model with an all-black leather interior and optional wood trim......I'll describe the interior in greater detail below. Unusual for a factory program car, it had a regular price-sticker on the window (program cars usually don't, as they are not for sale), so, of course, I copied the figures down.

So, what is this all-new hybrid like?................Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Lexus HS250h.

Base Price: $34,200

Options:

Heated Seats: $440

Rear Spoiler: $200 (a waste, IMO)

Wood Trim: $300

Preferred Accessory Package: $205

All-Weather Floor Mats: $109

Paint Protector Film: $429 (this is a rip-off)

Destination/Freight: $875 (rather high for a vehicle this size)

List Price as Reviewed: $36,758

Drivetrain: FWD, transversely-mounted 2.4L in-line, Atkinson-Cycle, VVTi 4, Front high-output, permanent-magnet electric-drive motor, total drivetrain 187 HP (Lexus does not quote RPM-power/torque figures for Hybrids), CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

EPA Mileage Rating: 35 City, 34 Highway

Exterior Color: Black Sapphire Pearl (actually a dark blue)

Interior: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Fairly smooth ride.

Good wind noise isolation.

Fairly good handling/steering response.

Low body roll (but not flat cornering).

Good underhood layout by Hybrid standards.

Typically excellent Lexus paint job.

Nice, fairly smooth interior leather.

Superb exterior hardware/trim.

Fairly solid exterior sheet metal/doors.

Superbly slick-folding side mirors.

Good interior hardware.

Excellent stereo.

Well-designed, clear, simple speedometer and hybrid power-flow gauges.

Clear, solid, easy-to-use interior buttons/controls.

Fairly good legroom, front and rear.

Cargo net for packages.

Nice START/STOP push-button.

Typically Toyota/Lexus effective climate control.

Traditional Lexus First-Aid kit in the trunk.

Better styling (IMO) than other small hybrids.

Available in 10 different paint colors.

Attractive new blue-tinted Lexus logo (for Lexus hybrids only).

Above-average Toyota/Lexus reliability.

Nice 4/50 Basic and 6/70 Drivetrain warranties (8/100 for Hybrid batteries and control modules).

MINUSES:

Inconsistant, somewhat awkward brake-pedal feel from the regenerative braking.

Noticeable CVT (motorboating) surge characteristics.

Tepid throttle response.

Little difference in response between Economy and Power Hybrid modes.

So-so EPA mileage numbers for a 4-cylinder hybrid.

Rather awkward transmission shift-stub.

Fairly small trunk lid.

Cheap trunk/cargo area finish without the trunk mat.

Temporary spare tire.

No (apparant) tachometer for gas-engine RPM.

Thick front A-pillars impede some visibility.

Smallish glove box when Owner's Manual is inside.

High, wide, intrusive front center console.

Very thin felt headliner.

Marginal headroom for tall people.

Rear spoiler, IMO, a waste of money.

Fairly low ground clearance from the lower-body trim.

All-black interior too dark for my tastes (too much black).

Exterior paint colors too dull for my tastes, except for the gorgeous Matador Red.

No body-side mouldings to resist parking-lot dings.

Interior wood trim should be standard, not an option.

Paint-protectant plastic film is overpriced.

Discounts may be hard to bargain for until supply catches up with demand.

EXTERIOR:

As I mentioned above, at the first glimpse in pictures, or walking up to it for the first time, there is a natural tendency to associate the body styling with the sister Toyota Corolla, but I've already described how this is not the case....it actually comes from the slightly larger Avensis platform. Having said that, though, the HS does not have what you would call "exciting" styling, as it is pretty much a standard, run-of-the-mill, smaller-family sedan. It's not going to turn heads or stand out like a Corvette or Dodge Viper, but, of course, that is not its mission. From the earlier opinions of it I've read, some like its styling; others think it too dull and stodgy. I'm somewhere in the middle...I consider it somewhat dull but handsome (certainly not ugly). And, IMO, it looks FAR better than the dorky Prius....I have never liked Prius styling, inside or out.

The sheet metal seems to be of reasonable quality and strength. The doors close solidly, but not with the kind of thud you get on, say, the tank-like Acura RL. The typically superb Toyota/Lexus paint job is the usual first-rate, with deep gloss, evenness, smoothness, and only a very tiny hint of orange peel. Lexus calls the color "Black Sapphire" Pearl, but, when the sun hits it, it is actually a very deep Midnight Blue metallic. It is attractive in the sun, but, like most of the 10 colors offered, is too dull and funeral-like for my tastes. The one exception is the Matador Red.....an award-winning Candy-Apple Red, with a very sight hint of reddish-orange, that is truly gorgeous. The exterior hardware/trim is smooth, solid, and extremely well-done. When Lexus first designed the blue-tinted "L" logo for its hybrid line, I was part of the CL discussion about it, and I didn't think much of the idea.....I thought, at first, it was just an unneeded marketing gimmick. But I like the big, bright-blue "L" logos used on the HS....I think they add a nice touch to the exterior. The twin side mirrors have durable housings, built-in turn signals, a superb smoothness/slickness to their snap/fold feature, and flip and lock very easily (you don't really appreciate this until you feel the rigid or cheap-plastic, hard-swiveling ones on many domestic-badged vehicles, and even some import-brands as well). The lower-body trim/fairings don't allow much ground clearance, so a little care is needed on some speed bumps, ramps, and humps, but it is not as low as with most sports cars. There are no body-side strips or mouldings to help ward off parking-lot dings (the chrome "Hybrid" strip at the bottom is much too low), but aftermarket stick-on ones can be purchased cheaply at auto-parts stores (In the past, I've put several of them on myself, for both me and others).

The reason, BTW, I thought that the clear-plastic Paint-Protector Film, at more than $400 (a legitimate factory option, not a dealer/aftermarket accessory), was a ripoff is that the film is applied only on the front of the hood and the two outside mirrors. That, IMO, is absurd for $400+

UNDERHOOD:

The underhood layout is one of the car's best features, especially by hybrid standards. Open the fairly solid hood, and you are greeted by two nice gas struts to hold it up and an underhood insulation pad to quiet things down (this, of course, IS a Lexus). There are a few plastic covers and lids on the front side of the hood compartment, but the transverse-mounted gas engine is exposed in a large hole and is easily accessable, without a big annoying cover. The exhaust manifold and oxygen sensor are high, right up in front of you. The dipsticks are easily seen and reached, as are filler caps, computer hardware, and reservoirs. The electric motor is to the right of the gas engine and is a little more hidden below, but still not particularly difficult to reach (and, of course, unlike the gas engine, it requires virtually no service, and usually doesn't NEED to be reached). With the big hybrid battery pack in the rear, of course, a separate gas engine battery is not needed....so that saves even more room in front.

INTERIOR:

The interior is generally a pleasant place, though not one of my favorite ones. The one in my test car was all-black leather, which, even with the spotty wood trim on the doors and console, was too monotone black for my tastes. The two-tone interiors, with black/light gray or black/beige (see the image I posted above) are much cheerier. The seats are generally comfortable but not terribly supportive, and they have nice, soft, fairly smooth leather on them. Though not as smooth as on some past models, Lexus, happily, does not seem to have substituted cheaper, rougher, less-pleasant, grainer leather (or even synthetic leather) in their interiors like some European manufacturers have. In the HS, there are even nice matching leather inserts on the door panels, although the rest of the door panels are hard plastic. The headliner, though, is a very thin, flimsy-feeling fabric, which feels almost like hard plastic. Legroom was OK front and rear for taller people, provided the front seats weren't adjusted all the way back, but footroom was a little tight in the rear, and headroom under the sunroof housing, both front and rear, even with the seat cushion lowered all the way, was just barely OK for a person of my size (6' 2").

The dash and gauges, IMO, were far better than those in the dorky Prius. The speedometer in the HS is a conventional circular one in front of the driver, behind the steering wheel (where it belongs), not a far-off digital one in the middle of the lower-windsheld base like in the Prius. Both the speedometer and the hybrid power-flow/charge gauges next to it are clear, relaively simple, and easy to read...no video-game, circus-like colors/patterns like in some other small hybrids. A simple, three-point, graphic diagram shows the power-flow from gas/electric motors to the front wheels.....or if both engines are stopped, as at a stop sign or traffic light. Another simple gauge/needle shows electrical battery charge/use, and green lights show the Power/Economy modes set by push-buttons. An ideal set-up, IMO.....why couldn't they design the Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Prius like this?

The stereo sound quality is excellent, even by Lexus standards, though, of course, not quite the superb, killer Mark Levinson unit found in top-line Lexus products (Twisted Sister did the Metal-music honors, today, with "Destroyer". If you've never heard a live recording of Dee Snider, the group's wild front-man, doing this tune, live on stage, he is absolutely NUTS). The stereo and climate-control buttons are clear, well-designed, reasonably solid-feeling, and easy to use. The center console, IMO, is not one of the better designs......it is rather long, wide, high, and intrusive. The heated-seat thumbwheels, at the rear and under the lip of the console, are, like those in other Lexus products, solid, well-marked, and easy-to-use, though they would be a little easier to use if the thumbwheels rolled fore/aft instead of sideways. The glove box is medium-sized overall, but, with the big. bulky Lexus Owner's Manual placed in its built-in-slot, tends not to have much usable space otherwise. The wood trim is, IMO, a nice color/pattern, and occupies small portions of the door panels around the power-window switches and the lower part of the console, but, (also IMO) there's not enough of it for a Lexus product, and it should be standard, not an option. To make wood trim an option in a Lexus (except, maybe, for the sport-sedan IS-F) is absurd. The cruise-control stalk, surprisingly, is the same one that Toyota/Lexus has used for years, mounted on the right side of the steering column (many cars have since removed the buttons to the steering column). The base HS250h has a manual tilt/telescope steering column; the HS250 Premium, a power-operated one. Almost all of the interior hardware is solid, well-done and well-designed. I had few complaints with it, except for the small transmission shift-stub.....more on that below.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area gets mixed reviews. The rear roofline, as with most contemporary sedans, cuts into the size of the trunk-lid some, so it is not a particularly big opening. The trunk lid opens up high enough, though, so that this is not too bad a problem, and you can generally load most reasonably-bulky items. The cargo area is fairly roomy by small sedan standards, but the floor and sides are poorly-finished (for a Lexus) in very thin, cheap-feeling fabric, almost with the feel of hard plastic. The removable, more thickly-padded floor mat gives it a slightly nicer feel where it covers the cheap, thin stuff, and a nice, traditional Lexus First-Aid kit is attached to the lower-right wall. Under the floor lies a foam sub-tray with a couple of tools and cubby-compartments in it, and under that (yep....what else?), a temporary donut spare tire. A $36,000 Lexus, IMO, deserves a real spare, and, in fact, my former 2001 Lexus IS300, which was less expensive than this car, DID have a real spare and alloy wheel. I forgot to check whether the rear seats split-fold down or have a center pass-through to extend the cargo space (yes, that's my fault for not remembering), but I later checked the Lexus web site, on the standard/optional equipment list, and they don't seem to include it anywhere (if anybody finds it, feel free to post it). Last, an insulation pad under the trunk lid, like the one under the hood, helps quell road noise from the rear end.

ON THE ROAD:

Generally an adequate, competent car, but not very exciting to drive. With the proximity electronic fob in the area, put your foot on the brake, push the START button, and, after a couple of seconds while the electronics program themselves, either the electric or gas engine comes to life, depending on the computer and the state of charge (the dash gauges, of course, will show you which one is working). Green dash lights will show you which hybrid mode you are in (Power or Economy) and when you are ready to take off. Flip the stubby transmission lever left and down for Drive (or left and up for Reverse), and, like in the old Prius, it spring-snaps back to the neutral position while a dash light shows you what gear you are in (the new 2010 Prius has a a slightly larger lever on the console now). I wasn't terribly impressed with the acceleration in any mode, whether it was gas, electric, or both. Lexus quotes an 8.4 second 0-60 time, but the throttle response, to me, didn't feel particularly strong in either the Economy or Power setting. Both motors, however, were very quiet (as expected, the electric motor is quieter than the gas engine), With the gas engine, you could occasionally hear some faint hum and feel slightly more vibration than with other Lexus products, but, of course, this is the only 4-cylinder Lexus.....you cannot compare it to a V6 or V8 in smoothness/quietness. The underhood insulation pad, of course, helps a lot. EPA mileage figures are not bad, but, considering it was a 4-cylinder hybrid, were not particularly impressive. I didn't expect true miserly ratings like those on the smaller, lighter Prius and Honda Insight, with their smaller 4-cylinder engines, but I figured on a little more than the official 35/34 that Toyota publishes. The Ford Fusion Hybrid, for example, a mid-size, comfortable hybrid sedan, easily beats the HS250's mileage, especially with the city figure.

Nor was I particularly impressed with the CVT transmission. It lacks the crisp, responsive feel of Nissan and Subaru CVTs, and tends to surge and "motorboat", allowing RPMs to sharply increase, but with little actual response for several seconds, even in the Power mode when the gas engine cuts in. I didn't notice any paddle-shifting CVT "ranges" like on some units. And the CVT retains the awkward, dash-mounted stub-shifter that I described above (and I didn't like). It spring-snaps to one of 3 positions (Reverse, Drive, or "B", which is apparently for downhill braking), and then back to N in the middle. I couldn't get the actual dash indicator (not the lever) to actually indicate "N", though, and actually PUT the transmission in Neutral, though I can't think of any reason one would want to, unless the car is being towed. There is also a dash button for electric-use only, which cuts out the gas engine completely, but again, it seems redundant to me, since the computer runs the car on the electrics even in normal use, unless you want more power by lead-footing it or the battery charge runs low and the gas engine has to cut in to add power or start charging things up again.

Though this is not either a traditional luxury car or a sport-oriented vehicle, I was clearly more impressed with the chassis and underpinnings than with the drivetrain. The suspension, tires, and electric steering gear provide, overall, a pretty good ride/handling combination. Steering response was reasonably quick, with fairly flat cornering and not a lot of body roll. Steering effort and feel, with the electric power-steering pump, was reasonably good, considering it is harder to get good feel with electric pumps than traditional hydraulic ones. Ride comfort, with the faily low-profile Michelin tires, was pretty good, especially considering the relatively competent handling. The ride comfort was clearly better than the IS250/350, MUCH better than the excessively stiff IS-F, and even, IMO, margainally better then the ES350. This is the chassis (or an offspring of it), IMO, that the ES350 probably should have gotten with its 2006 redesign, and didn't. Wind noise was very quiet and well-damped (yes, to Lexus standards), and there was a small amount of road noise; slightly more than you would expect in a typical Lexus, but not bad at all (perhaps it was the responsive Michelin tires).

As with most hybrids, I didn't care for the feel and action of the brake pedal. The brakes themselves were well-designed and responsive, but the typical hybrid regenerative braking-mode made itself felt in the pedal. The effort required varied with pedal travel, road speed, and rate of deceleration....a number of factors. I didn't notice much initial pedal sponginess, though, like in some cars, and the physical pedal location was placed well enough so that I didn't have any hang-up problems with my big size-15 clown-shoes when going from gas pedal to brake, which sometimes happens.

THE VERDICT:

The HS250, overall, is a reasonably competent small-to-medium size hybrid sedan, and should sell pretty well among those who want an eco-product combined with a reasonable price tag and the panache of the Lexus nameplate. Though not a cheap car by any means, it sells for many thousands of dollars less than other Lexus hybrids (base versions, with freight start around 35K). The designers, working off an existing Toyota Avensis platform, have given us a fairly nice, roomy interior (with the right colors and equipment), a generally well-engineered chassis with both good ride and good handling, and the famous Lexus library-quietness. The Matador Red paint option is gorgeous. The dash/gauge layout, IMO, blows that of most of the other small hybrids right out of the water. The stereo will impress your date on a Friday night (although Dee Snider's words and stage antics won't). The interior buttons/controls are all well-designed and easy to use. The paint job is, as usual with Toyota/Lexus products, first-rate. The underhood layout is quite good. And it should prove to be reliable as well.

But there are a couple of flies in the ointment, too. The drivetrain, IMO, with both unimpressive acceleration and unimpressive fuel mileage for a small hybrid, is not up to the standards of the Prius or Ford Fusion hybrid, much less a Lexus product. Most of the paint colors are too dull, IMO. Lexus needs to dump the shift-lever stub on the dash and use the console-mounted one in the new Prius....or, better yet, use a conventional lever that doesn't spring back to the center-slot at all.

Yes, there are many things on the HS250 worth having, and, to some people, it is probably worth what it costs. With all due respect to Lexus on this one, though (and, yes, I have an enormous amount of respect for Lexus on some things, like smoothness, refinement, noise level, reliability, and precision assembly), if it were my personal money at stake here, I would probably go with the Ford Fusion hybrid. The Fusion Hybrid, IMO, though not as quiet on the road and with overly-circus-like, bright-color gauges, offers, IMO, as good or better engineering for the money, and near-Lexus reliability. The Fusion has become one of the most reliable domestic-badged vehicles on the market, with Japanese-like quality and reliability.

P.S: I know that this is primarily a Lexus forum, and I know I may get some criticism and negative feedback from die-hard Lexus fans for my opinion of the HS250's drivetrain. You are, of course, free to disagree, and we can discuss the matter here civilly. But, after driving both the HS250 and a number of other competing hybrids, I have to describe things as I saw (and felt) them. That's not to say that the HS is a poor product....it's actually a pretty good car overall. But, I simply did not find the drivetrain to be the equal of some other small-to-medium size hybrids, especially the Fusion's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-09 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 07:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review as usual Mike!

Interesting take on a vehicle that is expanding the Lexus line and demographic.
Old 09-28-09, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Good review as usual Mike!
Thanks.

Interesting take on a vehicle that is expanding the Lexus line and demographic.
I honestly don't know how many sales it will take away from the Prius, though....that remains to be seen. And it is not likely to take a lot of sales away from larger Lexus hybrids, as customers who plunk down anywhere from 50-100K for those larger hybrids are not likely to want an HS, except perhaps as a second, downsized, commuter Lexus.

It will, however, IMO, form a customer base of those who want the panache of an upmarket, premium nameplate with a smallish vehicle that, while not as economical as a Prius or Honda hybrid (or even a Fusion hybrid), gets generally good mileage and super-low emissions.
Old 09-28-09, 07:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

no there is no pass through or fold down capability in the car.

but very indepth review which you are now so famous for

Ill have to agree that the spoiler is a hideous options.
Old 09-28-09, 08:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Great review Mike. You should try the fully loaded HS250h Premium w/all the goods...and of course...wood trim. LOL
Old 09-28-09, 08:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yes because of the hybrid battery packs sitting behind the rear passenger seatback.
Old 09-28-09, 08:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the review! I have yet to test drive the HS, but I look forward to it. Your review echoes what a number of auto journalists have stated, which is that the HS chassis is quite good, with better handling and body dynamics than some might have expected. And yes, it is definitely worth pointing out that it is not sharing underpinnings with a certain compact car with which comparisons have been inaccurately made.

Also, with regards to the cargo area...IIRC it is made from bioplastic, or recycled materials, and that may account for its flimsier appearance. Same with some of the cabin materials. Although Lexus wood comes from sustainable plantations, I suspect that they're offering wood as an option either a) in keeping with the greener image or b) as a cost/packaging move.

I see the HS as more of a segment tester, using a proven hybrid drivetrain, and some new and some re appropriated styling cues, to develop a new luxury car category. In general, I think it is a cautious but ultimately capable first entry. Whether it will take off here in N. America like it has in Japan remains to be seen.
Old 09-28-09, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Good point. The rear seats do fold in some hybrids; in others they don't.

but very indepth review which you are now so famous for
Thanks.

Ill have to agree that the spoiler is a hideous options.
Not so much hideous as simply worthless.........especially for $200.

The reason I thought that the clear-plastic Paint-Protector Film, at more than $400 (a legitimate factory option, not a dealer/aftermarket accessory, was a ripoff is that the film is applied only on the front of the hood and the two outside mirrors. That, IMO, is absurd for $400+

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-09 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Great review Mike.
Thanks.

You should try the fully loaded HS250h Premium w/all the goods...and of course...wood trim. LOL
This is not SoCal, flip. You guys have had the HS for months now.....we haven't. I was lucky, today, to get a review of THIS one....much less a Premium.

Actually, that is not unusual. Hybrids, because of the peculiarities of the CA market (and the fact that they are so popular there), are often introduced on the West Coast before they make it back East here.
Old 09-28-09, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the review! I have yet to test drive the HS, but I look forward to it. Your review echoes what a number of auto journalists have stated, which is that the HS chassis is quite good, with better handling and body dynamics than some might have expected. And yes, it is definitely worth pointing out that it is not sharing underpinnings with a certain compact car with which comparisons have been inaccurately made.

Also, with regards to the cargo area...IIRC it is made from bioplastic, or recycled materials, and that may account for its flimsier appearance. Same with some of the cabin materials. Although Lexus wood comes from sustainable plantations, I suspect that they're offering wood as an option either a) in keeping with the greener image or b) as a cost/packaging move.

I see the HS as more of a segment tester, using a proven hybrid drivetrain, and some new and some re appropriated styling cues, to develop a new luxury car category. In general, I think it is a cautious but ultimately capable first entry. Whether it will take off here in N. America like it has in Japan remains to be seen.
You make some good points about the biodegradeable trim. I had read about that in some previous reviews, but forgot about part of it.

Where this is is a good chassis, as least the way I found it, is in its ability to combine reasonably good handling with a nice ride......not BMW-like in that ability, but definitely better than average.
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

This is not SoCal, flip. You guys have had the HS for months now.....we haven't. I was lucky, today, to get a review of THIS one....much less a Premium.

Actually, that is not unusual. Hybrids, because of the peculiarities of the CA market (and the fact that they are so popular there), are often introduced on the West Coast before they make it back East here.
That is true. The HS seems to be selling well here in SoCal. I know for a fact a Lexus dealer in Northern CA sells the most Lexus hybrids in the United States. It's a given they will sell the most in that region considering the demographic in SF Bay Area in general. There are more hybrids (esp. Prius) owners in the Bay Area that any metro region in the US.
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the review Mike!

It parallels with most of what I experienced when I test drove the car a couple of months ago.

P.S: I know that this is primarily a Lexus forum, and I know I may get some criticism and negative feedback from die-hard Lexus fans for my opinion of the HS250's drivetrain...

I simply did not find the drivetrain to be the equal of some other small-to-medium size hybrids, especially the Fusion's.
True.

Yes, the HS is not superb. It does not provide the spectacular gas mileage of the new Prius. It does not reach the efficiency of the Ford Fusion Hybrid. However, it does have significant gas savings compared to other FWD entry-level 200hp-ish luxury vehicles such as the Audi A4 (23/30 mpg) and the Acura TSX (21/30 mpg).

So, I guess people will have to make their own conclusions with regards to power and efficiency. The Prius does better gas mileage, but with 50 hp less. If they want something more luxurious with more performance than the Prius, the HS comes with a sacrifice. And knowing that the HS is getting a lot of previous Prius owners, the method is working...
Old 09-28-09, 08:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by encore888

I'd have to disagree. I feel the quality of the bio plastics used in the HS are finely executed. Most people wouldn't even realize that these materials are recycled. Flimsier appearance, that's not the case.

The wood trim is packaged with certain HS h packages. Base and Touring packages get the painted gray trim only and of course Japan gets the best interior trim and combinations.
Old 09-28-09, 08:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly don't know how many sales it will take away from the Prius, though....that remains to be seen.
Mike, another question:

Which makes/models will be affected by the HS?

As I noted above (and in the HS Forum), the Acura TSX and Audi A4 may be affected (Lexus never had direct competition for these cars). Some others have added the Volvo S40 (168 hp, 20/28 mpg) and the Saab 9-3 Sedan (210 hp, 19/26 mpg) to the list.

What do you think?
Old 09-28-09, 08:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Good review mmarshall! I agree with a lot of what you said and the hybrid bar has really been raised by the new generation of hybrids. 35 mpg isn't bad but when compared to the 50 from the Prius, the 41 from the Fusion, and even the 30 from the considerably larger RXh it's a bit blah. If you have a chance could you take a look at the A3 TDI? It's supposed to be released in late November so it's a ways off but it'll be nice to see a small hybrid vs small diesel comparo

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h