Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 05:56 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the name of those bbs wheels, they look nice
Old 09-27-09, 11:26 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
I had a fully loaded 2006 M5 in 2007 with only 9k miles. I was barely able to sell it for a penny over $50,000...
Less than a year old, Less than 10k miles... 50% off sticker

damn. i guess there was no demand for it.

that's what happens with high powered sleeper cars
Old 09-27-09, 11:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Very reliable sources all say the M5 will have a TT V8, that there will be no more V10. There are rumors Audi will stop using it's TT V10 and move to a TT V8 instead.
Yup, apparently this is what next-gen RS6 will use. Either way, just like BMW, Audi also promised that vehicle emission ratings and fuel economy will improve over the current engine whilst having more power. If the trend done by Audi is imminent, then there may 100 hp increase over the current model.

Definitely 600+hp (current engine: 5.0 TT FSI V10 already has 580 horses). Heck, if Audi is really insane, then such insanity may make them crave for 700 horses. Bloody insane
Old 09-27-09, 11:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever the final numbers, I'm sure the performance will be staggering.
It's the looks I'm concerned about. From what I can tell, BMW is toning down the car. Much like they did with the 7 series. That's not good. That boring and bland. Back to the understated stuff of yesteryear.
We need Bangle.
Old 09-27-09, 07:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You guys with the manual fixation are rapidly becoming dinosaurs. I just spent the weekend watching the fastest sportscars in the world, and not one of them had a stick. Imagine that!

Direct human controlled manual gearboxes are dying rapidly and for good reason. Humans don't know how to shift, don't know how to heel/toe, and can't possibly change gears as faultlessly as the offerings we have now. 10 years from now only ancient tech cars will have full manuals without computer control.

And no, I don't need any comments about my ability to drive a manual - I learned to drive a stick 43 years ago and I've owned a LOT of manuals - still own a TT Supra so I can get my manual fix anytime, but I have to say, my IS-F has never missed a shift and never let me over/under rev the engine. I surely can't say the same for the Supra as much as I enjoy driving it.

M5? Nice car for someone who wants a sedan. Beat a 911? Seriously? Where are you getting your drugs, I need some of what you're doing!
Old 09-27-09, 07:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys with the manual fixation are rapidly becoming dinosaurs. I just spent the weekend watching the fastest sportscars in the world, and not one of them had a stick. Imagine that!

Direct human controlled manual gearboxes are dying rapidly and for good reason. Humans don't know how to shift, don't know how to heel/toe, and can't possibly change gears as faultlessly as the offerings we have now. 10 years from now only ancient tech cars will have full manuals without computer control.
Good riddance, lol.
Old 09-28-09, 01:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree the manual shifting of yesteryear is more involved and satisfying if you do it well, but the new trannys allow for insane shift speeds and precision with the luxury of rev matching and even sequential shifters like a race car
Old 09-28-09, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The countdown begins on the reveal & performance stats.. The anticipation can be cut with a knife

Caddy CTS-V
556hp
0-60 in 3.9
Quickest production sedan on the Nordshliefe..

Will the F10 M5 destroy this car & others ?

________

________

________
Old 09-28-09, 07:32 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Sorry to get off topic, but are those F1 wheels for sale anywhere? I want a set!
Old 09-28-09, 07:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

And no, I don't need any comments about my ability to drive a manual - I learned to drive a stick 43 years ago and I've owned a LOT of manuals - still own a TT Supra so I can get my manual fix anytime, but I have to say, my IS-F has never missed a shift and never let me over/under rev the engine. I surely can't say the same for the Supra as much as I enjoy driving it.

M5? Nice car for someone who wants a sedan. Beat a 911? Seriously? Where are you getting your drugs, I need some of what you're doing!
Hehe QFT
Old 09-28-09, 07:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by veleno
Sorry to get off topic, but are those F1 wheels for sale anywhere? I want a set!
From BBS.. $12k

http://www.bbs.com/en/company/news/fi_en.html
Old 09-28-09, 08:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. In the future, the closest thing enthusiasts will be able to get to a traditional manual would be a computer-controlled sequential manual operated via paddle shifters.
Old 09-28-09, 08:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. In the future, the closest thing enthusiasts will be able to get to a traditional manual would be a computer-controlled sequential manual operated via paddle shifters.
Iactually love the DCT tranny in the M3. It reacts very much like a manual minus the clutch.. BMW has the DCT tranny in the 335 (see below) overseas and needs to bring it to the states..

Old 09-28-09, 09:44 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Iactually love the DCT tranny in the M3. It reacts very much like a manual minus the clutch.. BMW has the DCT tranny in the 335 (see below) overseas and needs to bring it to the states..

Dual clutch seems to have mixed reaction. Some automakers are better than others at making dual-clutch transmissions. Also a sequential manual seems to have a more direct feel than a dual clutch from what I have heard.
Old 09-28-09, 01:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Dual clutch seems to have mixed reaction. Some automakers are better than others at making dual-clutch transmissions. Also a sequential manual seems to have a more direct feel than a dual clutch from what I have heard.
Hmm.....

Sequential manual? As in like the SMG?

For me, I'm quite happy with it. However, there are those who were dismayed by it (and thought of it as the weakpoint of the current M5 E60).

Anyways, we'll see.

P.S.
Do you think AMG will make their AMG SPEEDSHIFT gearbox work in-tandem with the 6.5 TT V12 in the future?

I say that cause it feels like a downgrade to me when your S63 AMG gets a 7-speeder while your S65 AMG is way faster but gets a less advanced gearbox.

Not that I'm apprehensive on it (as I understand that the 7-speed can't keep up yet with the high torque ratings of the TT V12 engine) but I feel that if you are paying more for something better, then it should be better in all aspects as well.

So anyone wanna bet: Next-gen S65 AMG will now have the AMG SPEEDSHIFT unit instead of the 5-speeder auto in the current unit???

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)