Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I want a coupe that isn't a two-door version of a sedan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 02:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I want a coupe that isn't a two-door version of a sedan...

Not a lot of options out there, right?

All Italian coupes get a big , but at a cost. So can British coupes like any Aston, the Jaguar XK, or Lotus.

Mercedes and BMW can get this done right (like the SLK or Z4), but not all (like the E-Class or the 3/6-Series coupes). Audi's coupes (with the exception of the R8) are all based on their four-door counterparts.

The Japanese have very limited non-sedan based coupes like the GT-R, 370Z, Miata, S2000 (discontinued), and the upcoming LF-A.

I think American makes do a very good job offering muscle cars, but they are not as refined as any of their competitors.

Am I asking for too much?

Should automakers expand and dedicate coupe-only platforms and chassis?

Or is it too expensive to develop; being barely profitable or perhaps a financial loss?
Old 08-19-09, 02:41 PM
LexFather

In the past coupes were based on sedans and LOOKED like sedans, hardly any sheetmetal changed. Today we are blessed with coupes based on sedans with completely different sheetmetal. In some cases even interiors are different.

It is to cut costs.
The bottom line is unless you are selling 100k+ coupes, they don't make money as they sell in limited quantities. Coupes also have a short shelf life, they come out the gate selling like hotcakes then sales fall fast each year.

Aston Martin for example uses one platform for all its cars, they just modify the chassis and even now share engines withing models. They have to to be profitable. Porsche as well.

I have heard there were mules of a SUpra based on the IS chassis (which is a GS one) but they didn't feel it was sporty enough. That is why Nissan gets a lot of kudos for the FM Platform.

So yeah, your dream is there, just a costly one! Unless you want a MX-5!

Old 08-19-09, 02:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The bottom line is unless you are selling 100k+ coupes, they don't make money as they sell in limited quantities. Coupes also have a short shelf life, they come out the gate selling like hotcakes then sales fall fast each year.
Exactly! Case in point (an a Japanese example) - Mazda with the RX-8. Coupe that caught serious attention, then had the familiar drop-off.

I have heard there were mules of a SUpra based on the IS chassis (which is a GS one) but they didn't feel it was sporty enough. That is why Nissan gets a lot of kudos for the FM Platform.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of a IS-based Supra. Imagine if they built that...

Anyhow, I think that Toyota has realized that the way to make these sporty niche products profitable is to put them in their luxury brand, Lexus, where model cycles are longer and they can charge higher prices.

Of course I'm looking forward to yet another dedicated coupe which is hopefully the 3SC.
Old 08-19-09, 03:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota is bringing the low-cost Toyobaru coupe to market, but that has a lot of parts sharing with Subaru and is based on the Legacy (sedan) chassis.

There is a strong rumor Toyota will release a mid-market coupe (production version of the FT-HS) above the Toyobaru which is supposed to be the Supra's successor. Not sure what platform that would use though.

I agree that original coupes not based on sedans would be nice, but the unfortunate fact is the market does not really support coupes like that. Coupes below 100K are generally a hard sell, and making a coupe with a unique chassis makes it even harder to get a return on investment. Automakers who offer mass-market coupes are forced to heavily rely on parts sharing to make it profitable.

Plus, consumers these days demand more than ever, and regulations have become more strict meaning that cutting major corners to achieve a coupe with a unique chassis is not an option for most automakers.
Old 08-19-09, 03:54 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I am pretty excited about the Toyobaru. The Legacy ranks among the top handling cars I've ever driven, thus it is my second. However, if the coupe is indeed not AWD, I don't want it. That would be like when Pert Plus tried to sell shampoo and conditioner in seperately.

It is dismaying how few coupes there are today. The Preludes, Probes, Lasers, Celicas, SVXs, etc. have been gone for a long time. And they have yet to be replaced.
Old 08-20-09, 01:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not a lot of options out there, right?
Porsche 911?
Old 08-20-09, 02:13 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

audi S5/A5 is not based off a coupe....porsche 911, porsche caymen, bmw Z4, SLK, SL, SC430, 6 series, and im sure there are others there that im not remembering now but there is a huge selection of coupes you can choose from that are not based of sedans
Old 08-20-09, 02:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biggie27
audi S5/A5 is not based off a coupe....porsche 911, porsche caymen, bmw Z4, SLK, SL, SC430, 6 series, and im sure there are others there that im not remembering now but there is a huge selection of coupes you can choose from that are not based of sedans
SC430 is based off of the Lexus GS/Toyota Crown RWD sedan chassis.
Old 08-20-09, 02:27 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

i didnt know he was talking about the chasis just the body ( 3 series coupe and sedan, clk and E class and such ).....if thats the case then most cars are based on other cars chassis even the R8 is a rebuilt lambo chassis that lambo now barrowed from audi for the new lp560.........and from what im hearing the next gen. viper is gonna use a F430 chassis .......thats gonna be wicked!!!
Old 08-20-09, 06:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
SC430 is based off of the Lexus GS/Toyota Crown RWD sedan chassis.
6 is based on 5 series.

Old 08-20-09, 08:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

However, if the coupe is indeed not AWD, I don't want it.
Agreed 100%

Subaru = Symmetrical AWD

Well some models (like in Japan and elsewhere) are FWD, but Subaru is characterized primarily, aside from horizontal engines, but by their AWD system.

Hence, I'm in the same boat as you. (no Subaru with Symmetrical AWD = no sale for me)

@anyways

You could try Mazda MX-5 Miata Roadster (NCEC) or a Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Old 08-20-09, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Porsche 911?
Certainly a favorite, might be a bit too much of a sports car for some especially considering small cockpit, etc.
Old 08-20-09, 01:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi TT RS

This is one quick, beautiful, fast machine besides my car of course
Old 08-20-09, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Am I asking for too much?
Do you want a brand-new coupe or a used one, Philip? It makes a difference.

The Corvette and Cadillac XLR share a common platform, but, to my knowledge, it is not based on any sedan. Corvettes are, of course, available brand-new; the XLR (which is a folding-hardtop coupe/convertible) recently went out of production.....you would have to find a used one. The XLR is expensive, but has a VERY classy interior...especially by GM standards. There is also a high-performance XLR-V version.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-20-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 01:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Encore888 also mentioned the Mazda RX-8. I agree. Neither the Miata nor the RX-8 are based on any sedan platform (one reason why both of them handle so well), and the Miata is now available as a folding hardtop coupe, although its diminunitive size may be too small for your needs. The RX-8 has a turbine-smooth rotary engine, handles almost like magic, but has a distinct lack of torque, and tends to have both high oil and gas consumption. Its small, forward-opening rear half-doors, unlike many other coupes, make it much easier to get things in and out of the rear seat.

Quick Reply: I want a coupe that isn't a two-door version of a sedan...