Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any other Toyota Venza fans??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My preference is to leave the opinion to visibility up the real drivers (like us).
No, I agree. I was refering to your comment on the engineer's opinion on the ease of doing thinner, yet strong D-pillar strength, not necessarily visibility.
Old 05-10-10, 08:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I hate that you can't get black or any dark leather in the Venza.Why?
QFT. Same on the Camry and nearly every other Toyota.
Old 05-10-10, 09:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
QFT. Same on the Camry and nearly every other Toyota.
True.
I see the Highlander Limited now offers black leather as well as the Avalon,RAV4(sport only)4Runner.Land Cruiser a dark gray.
Old 05-10-10, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I hate that you can't get black or any dark leather in the Venza. Why?
Only the Toyota marketers can totally answer that, but a lot of people don't like black leather (or vinyl) because, without a cover or sun shades, it gets VERY hot parked in the summer sun.......more so than black cloth. Even expensive cars with A/C-cooled seats can take a while to cool them down.
Old 05-10-10, 09:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only the Toyota marketers can totally answer that, but a lot of people don't like black leather (or vinyl) because, without a cover or sun shades, it gets VERY hot parked in the summer sun.......more so than black cloth. Even expensive cars with A/C-cooled seats can take a while to cool them down.
Good points,Mike.
Then why not a medium to dark leather choice that doesn't show dirt or dye staining from jeans.
Old 05-10-10, 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

No, I agree. I was refering to your comment on the engineer's opinion on the ease of doing thinner, yet strong D-pillar strength, not necessarily visibility.
I see, thanks. The visual width of the exterior sheet metal covering on the Venza pillar has nothing to do with strength of the internal roof structure underneath the sheet metal related to roof strength, in short it's a styling feature. For example Mercedes does SUV roofs as strong or stronger with slimmer D-pillars.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-10-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good points,Mike.
Then why not a medium to dark leather choice that doesn't show dirt or dye staining from jeans.
I sympathize with you to some extent, but you can get aftermarket, stretch-on, bucket-seat covers in a variety of brands and colors, both light and dark (the imitation or natural wool/sheepskin ones are quite popular). Just make sure, if you use one, that it is compatable with side or seat-mounted air-bags and the type of headrests the seats have......that's very important.

(Wool/sheepskin doesn't have the slickness and aroma of leather, but it offers a number of advantages as well).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 09:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I sympathize with you to some extent, but you can get aftermarket, stretch-on, bucket-seat covers in a variety of brands and colors, both light and dark (the imitation or natural wool/sheepskin ones are quite popular). Just make sure, if you use one, that it is compatable with side or seat-mounted air-bags and the type of headrests the seats have......that's very important.

Yeah Mike,I'm aware of that.
Toyota dealers will install many colors of leather seatcovers too but then you have the door panels and other areas not matching.
I'm not a fan of seatcovers or sheepskin(so 80's).

As trivial as it may seem,I won't buy a vehicle if I can't get a dark color interior.Especially a leather interior.I hated sitting on towels with my '07 Camry XLE's dove gray leather and other models I've owned with light leathers..
Old 05-10-10, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

As trivial as it may seem,I won't buy a vehicle if I can't get a dark color interior.Especially a leather interior.I hated sitting on towels with my '07 Camry XLE's dove gray leather and other models I've owned with light leathers..
Joe - I have the same preference in interior colors (dark) for a utility type vehicle especially, like an SUV.

In a hardtop vehicle, the exterior color and UV-protection window tint has a bigger impact on interior heating/discomfort than the color of the seats. Therefore the darker colors seem to hold up a bit better as you mentioned. My Mercedes and Jeep both have dark (black/dark slate gray) seats that are easier to maintain than my Lexus with light gray.

I do have special seat towels (they are designed to slip over the headrest and only cover top seating surface, not interfering with side air bags) for use only if I'm wearing sweaty/dirty tennis or gym clothing. For example they sell them at the Lexus dealer with logo. They work very well (100% cotton and are machine washable, just like a towel).
Old 05-10-10, 10:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joe - I have the same preference in interior colors (dark) for a utility type vehicle especially, like an SUV.

In a hardtop vehicle, the exterior color and UV-protection window tint has a bigger impact on interior heating/discomfort than the color of the seats. Therefore the darker colors seem to hold up a bit better as you mentioned. My Mercedes and Jeep both have dark (black/dark slate gray) seats that are easier to maintain than my Lexus with light gray.

I do have special seat towels (they are designed to slip over the headrest and only cover top seating surface, not interfering with side air bags) for use only if I'm wearing sweaty/dirty tennis or gym clothing. For example they sell them at the Lexus dealer with logo. They work very well (100% cotton and are machine washable, just like a towel).
Great info,IS-SV.
I do like the look of black leather.
I'm too OCD and would use the top seating covers you mentioned all the time.
Old 05-10-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Great info,IS-SV.
I do like the look of black leather.
I'm too OCD and would use the top seating covers you mentioned all the time.
Joe - Attached is a photo of the "seat towel" I use when needed in my Jeep, the ones I have are black w/logo. I also have gray ones for my Lexus w/logos too, purchased at the dealer parts department.

I'm sure Toyota (for Venza) versions are available.
Attached Thumbnails Any other Toyota Venza fans??????-seat-towel-jeep.jpg  
Old 05-10-10, 10:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joe - Attached is a photo of the "seat towel" I use when needed in my Jeep, the ones I have are black w/logo. I also have gray ones for my Lexus w/logos too, purchased at the dealer parts department.
Nice,looks like easy on and off.
If I had light interior,I'd still use them 99% of the time in my Lexus.
Old 05-10-10, 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice,looks like easy on and off.
If I had light interior,I'd still use them 99% of the time in my Lexus.
Yes, no muss/no fuss, easy on/easy off (sounds like a wax commercial). When unused they sit in the corner of the trunk neatly folded.

Sounds like you have a nice color combo on your 2010 RX.

If I get a Venza later, I will get a matching set of these seat towels.
Old 05-10-10, 10:44 AM
LexFather

IS there goatskin???

Old 05-10-10, 10:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
IS there goatskin???
No, only if I kill one (goat) on the ranch above my neighborhood.

But on that note, I heard the Crossturd was getting nominated for Road Apple of the Year award, we'll see. Don't think Venza will get that honor, keeping with OP's topic of course.

Quick Reply: Any other Toyota Venza fans??????