Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 08:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.

Pros: Good ride, lots of luxury and low starting price. One of the best big luxury sedans for the money on the road.

Cons: Overcoming Buick's reputation.

It's a shame really. The redesigned large sedan is top notch, a car fit for a king, or at least an emperor.

People should line up at Buick dealerships in droves to order the new LaCrosse, which arrives this month. It's well-priced, sharp-looking and comes with a stellar interior, perhaps the best inside makeover General Motors Co. has ever completed.

But they won't.

When Buick tested the new LaCrosse against the competition, vehicles such as the Lexus ES 350, Acura RL and Toyota Avalon, the LaCrosse crushed them, Buick executives told me. People drooled over its curvy exterior and gentle sloping roof. They fawned over the plush leather interior and nicely appointed wood trim. People, no doubt, were pulling out their checkbooks in that gotta have it now kind of way.

Then they heard the word "Buick."

"It's nice, but it's not for me," was the polite response, as they scribbled the word "VOID." No one wants to buy a punch line.

Unfortunately, that's what has become of the brand and the real tragedy is this LaCrosse isn't your granddaddy's Buick. It's not even your father's. It's a world class, quiet-riding, peppy performing sedan. But it's parked in the corner of people's minds with a dunce cap resting cockeyed across its bejeweled adaptive head lamp.

If you haven't heard, old people buy Buicks. Not just kind-of-old, but people whose children are AARP members.

In youth-oriented America, that means no one else wants to touch a Buick out of fear it will make them old, or worse, people will think they're old.

Reasons to switch over

Now, Buick has made a few inroads with buyers because of its sumptuous Enclave crossover. The average age of those buyers haven't even cashed their first social security check. And I hope the LaCrosse changes minds of consumers.

The way to win back customers is to build better cars and the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is better than the MKZ or Avalon -- and on par with the ES 350, which share similar rear ends. (Hey, if it worked for Lexus, why shouldn't Buick include LED taillights and trapezoidal chrome exhaust tips? It looks good.) But will a Lexus owner ever switch to a Buick? Probably not.

There are reasons to switch, though. The LaCrosse exterior looks classic modern. The waterfall grille sparkles at the end of the long hood. The design is penned in sweeping confident strokes. There's a balance to its profile that denotes luxury without being ostentatious.

The wheels are pushed away from the edges of the car's body, providing a nice overhang up front and a shorter-looking rear end. While the LaCrosse stretches out 197 inches, its wheel base is 111.7 inches (by comparison, the Chevrolet Malibu is 6 inches shorter but has a wheel base half an inch longer). That helps make the car look less aggressive than the Malibu and more elegant.

Another big change for the LaCrosse is Buick's determination to leave soft and floaty rides behind. The ride is smooth but not too hard or too soft. Baby Bear must have calibrated the real-time active dampening suspension found on the top-of-the-line CXS model because it feels just right.

The variable speed rack-and-pinion steering provides good feedback but is never too tight or too loose. Driving around those fun twisty roads near Dexter, the LaCrosse felt well-balanced on the road. The all-wheel drive model seemed to stick through corners better, but that could be attributed to its 2-ton weight.

The LaCrosse, which comes in front-wheel drive as well, handles like a much smaller sedan.

Good power, efficiency

There are two engine options for the LaCrosse, the 3-liter direct injection V-6 and a slightly larger 3.6-liter DI V-6.

During my test-drive, I liked the larger 3.6-liter V-6 with its 280 horsepower and 259 pound-feet of torque better than the 255-horsepower, 217-pound-feet-of-torque 3-liter engine. It just gave the LaCrosse the gusto I expect in a large sedan. In the past, big V-8s powered these vehicles and the 3-liter just didn't push me back into the seat as much as I wanted. Cruising on the highway, the smaller engine felt fine and in both cars the ride was amazingly quiet.

The six-speed automatic transmission seemed to lose its way during moderate acceleration, up- and down-shifting as it searched for the best gear. But if you drove it aggressively, it was much better. I don't think many owners will want to floor it at every stop light.

There's also very respectable gas mileage coming with the LaCrosse. The 3-liter front-wheel drive model gets 17 miles per gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway, while the all-wheel drive loses one mile per gallon in city and highway driving.

Interior beauty

But the real coup for the LaCrosse is its interior. Man-o-live, it's nice.

Completely overhauled, this Buick smells of leather and wood. The dash curves gently around the vehicle and melds the doors into the curves, creating an unbreakable line. The LaCrosse never cuts costs with the choice of cabin materials. Even at night, drivers are rewarded with an ice blue ambient lighting package that creates the same effect as chrome during the day.

The second row offers as much room as the front (there is 41.7 inches of leg room up front while there is 40.5 inches in the back). A key requirement for a large sedan is to fit five adults, and the LaCrosse can do so easily.

Buick also added lots of luxury features selective consumers expect: Bluetooth hands-free phone operation, dual climate zones, heated outside mirrors, push button start, dual stage front and side-impact air bags, as well as side-curtain air bags and a 354-watt Harman/Kardon 11-speaker stereo. But these are checklist kind of amenities that every luxury car will have in the future. It's the additional features that push the LaCrosse over the top.

Memory eight-way adjustable seats, air filtration system, custom lighting schemes inside and outside of the vehicle, all reward the owner with niceties people enjoy.

Providing those kinds of features could push a few more people to Buick, but it's not going to be many. Sorry, I just don't think a perfect Buick could sway public opinion -- and that's not a compliment for public opinion.

Rebuilding a reputation takes time and consistency. People must know the changes are sincere and real.

The LaCrosse demonstrates how serious Buick has become, and I'm optimistic that the brand will have enough time earn a few new followers.

It should. With the new LaCrosse alone, Buick has earned it.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...fit+for+a+king
Old 08-06-09, 09:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this author wrote the article with reverse psychology in mind...

At the end of the day, I do think the LaCrosse will be a successful car for Buick. It's good looking inside and out, and seems solidly built, high quality, and equipped with the right features at the right price. Do they have an image problem? Yes, but you've got to start somewhere and the Enclave made a nice, initial splash. This LaCrosse will be a good followup, and I think a good seller for the company.
Old 08-06-09, 09:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Seems like this author wrote the article with reverse psychology in mind...

At the end of the day, I do think the LaCrosse will be a successful car for Buick. It's good looking inside and out, and seems solidly built, high quality, and equipped with the right features at the right price. Do they have an image problem? Yes, but you've got to start somewhere and the Enclave made a nice, initial splash. This LaCrosse will be a good followup, and I think a good seller for the company.
I agree. 90% of what this guy says is his opinion. I think the LaCrosse will do very, very well.
Old 08-06-09, 09:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Enclave

I don't know ... the Enclave is doing rather well for Buick so it looks like there are people out there that will buy the brand.
Old 08-06-09, 10:59 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this car will do very well for Buick! Its got the features, look and I believe the quality will be there for them to be successful.
Old 08-06-09, 11:13 AM
LexFather

He is wrong. Tons of people are going to buy this. What Buick has is a LOYAL audience. Even if they TRY to go sporty, the more mature crowd will continue to buy Buicks. They are going to enjoy these vehicles. My only concern is they might WANT V-8s still and not I-4s. The older crowd likes big torqey engines.

If the Enclave has proved ANYTHING its that Buick is for real. The Enclave is 2nd behind the RX in sales most months. That was a spot the MDX held. It helps prove my theory that when a new good car comes out the top brands do not suffer (BMW/Benz/Lexus) but the Tier II/III brands get hit and they are all fighting for the scraps. This vehicle won't hit ES sales even though you would THINK So. Its clear the ES has a core buyer and every year no matter what it sells well. Expect G37/TL/TSX/CTS/A4/Avalon/MKZ/MKS/Genesis sales to be taken by this vehicle.

I see in the print ads it has tageted the ES and the TL. Good move.

Great job again Buick!

Old 08-06-09, 12:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it looks large and clumsy

it's slow

and for the base price, you're not getting much.

i never look at base price, because often, all you get are cloth seats, a/c, and automatic windows. that's not saying much.

so possibly, it might not sell well. unless they're targets are low..... like 2500 per month.
China might eat this up though.
Old 08-06-09, 12:18 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

looks better than past buick is nothing else.
Old 08-06-09, 01:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car compares and competes extremely well with the Avalon and ES350 on paper.

Excellent car, excellent value, amazingly nice interior/exterior, great ride, etc. This car is absolutely a winner.

I agree that the Buick name is hurting it. It's sell in droves if it had a Lexus badge on it... particularly at that price point!

But here's the question we have to ask ourselves. Would it have done better with a Chevy or Cadillac badge? Personally I don't think it would. It doesn't match Chevy's "everyday car" image, and it doesn't quite fit the edgy/sporty image of Cadillac, plus it would confuse people between itself and the CTS and cannibalize CTS sales. So really... a Buick badge, while still not a great thing, makes the most sense.

Aside from that, while the Buick badge may hurt the LaCrosse, the LaCrosse will help the Buick badge. It will take time, and other home run products like this, but GM may very well see this as an investment in Buick's image, which will pay off further down the line. That's really what GM's problem has been for the last couple decades is considering what would make them the most $$ right then and there, and not considering their image in the future. They have their heads set straight with this decision, IMO.

My dad and I will probably go back out the LaCrosse here in another week or two. He's interested in replacing his 05 Camry XLE 4-cyl and really likes the LaCrosse on paper and in pictures.
The 3.0 does 0-60 in about 8.5 and the 3.6 does it in high 6s or low 7s. But does it really matter that the LaCrosse can't be had with a 5.x second 0-60 time? Would 95% of the buyers care? I doubt it. They would care about the increased cost and decreased fuel economy though.
I'm nervous to see the numbers for the 2.4L 4-cyl. My Aura has the same engine sans direct injection (so I'm down about 7-8% power wise, but also weigh in 400 pounds less). I think my Aura is good for 0-60 in the mid to high 8 second range, so I'm guessing and hoping the LaCrosse 2.4 will be able to stay south of the 10 second range... otherwise it's really going to crucified in the press.
Old 08-06-09, 01:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I expect this to be the best selling Buick soon enough.
Old 08-06-09, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Pros: Good ride
That remains to be seen (or rather, felt). The new, lower-profile tires may not do the ride comfort any good......something traditional Buicks were very good at.

Lincoln messed up the ride comfort on new MKS, with lower-profile rubber, over the Town Car, and Lexus, the same with the ES350 over the ES330. I'll see, in my planned 2010 LaCrosse review, whether Buick did the same with the new LaCrosse.

Cons: Overcoming Buick's reputation.
No. Just because Buick were not popular with so-called "enthusiasts" and some in the auto press doesn't mean they had a bad reputation. They have a general reputation for better-than-average reliability, and an enormously loyal customer base. They are also quite popular in China, the world's largest emerging auto market.
Old 08-06-09, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He is wrong. Tons of people are going to buy this. What Buick has is a LOYAL audience.
Yes, traditional Buicks have an intensely loyal audience, but this car ventures into new territory. At this point, it's too early to predict sales.

Even if they TRY to go sporty, the more mature crowd will continue to buy Buicks.
That's where I'm not sure I agree, Mike. Older people, in general, do NOT like "sporty" ride/handling and non-wood-paneled interiors. The new LaCrosse could drive more of them into the existing Lucerne.....or what few traditional soft-riding cars are available from other makes. Or, likely, used cars..........like older Buicks.

The older crowd likes big torqey engines.
So does a lot of the younger crowd. Mant people want some torque in the lower RPM-range, without having to go to motorcycle-RPM's like on some Hinda VTEC fours.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 03:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I expect this to be the best selling Buick soon enough.
I'd be kinda shocked if it wasn't. Nothing in their lineup right now is selling very well or is a very compelling buy IMO.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That remains to be seen (or rather, felt). The new, lower-profile tires may not do the ride comfort any good......something traditional Buicks were very good at.

Lincoln messed up the ride comfort on new MKS, with lower-profile rubber, over the Town Car, and Lexus, the same with the ES350 over the ES330. I'll see, in my planned 2010 LaCrosse review, whether Buick did the same with the new LaCrosse.
People have different preferences for what is a 'good' ride. To me, I actually like a somewhat stiff ride and dislike a "wallowing/floaty" ride as long as it's a very solid and controlled ride... no aftershock or drama... a vault-like feeling. I have a feeling that the majority of current day car consumers feel similarly to me, even though I know the older generations often times don't... they like that old school body on frame feel.

The reviews so far have been saying the LaCrosse has great ride quality and is also extremely quiet. I haven't seen any CXS reviews either... so who knows what the 19s with the magnetic ride control will be like.
Old 08-06-09, 03:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'd be kinda shocked if it wasn't. Nothing in their lineup right now is selling very well or is a very compelling buy IMO.
Exactly (especially when you take low/no profit fleet and rental car sales out), this kind of car can only improve sales.

Because of much more sophisticated suspension systems (and isolation techniques) good ride quality can be achieved with good handling. For example a Jag XF on 20" 30-series tires has surprisingly good ride quality and sharp handing as expected.

The tuna-boat Lincolns, Buicks, Caddies, Fords of the past had lovely soft rides (even if they actually made some passengers vomit) and horrible handling. I know because I'm old enough to have driven this junk. So that kind of poor ride/handling tradeoff is unacceptable in the modern era where active safety (meaning decent handling and braking) is just as important as passive safety.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-06-09 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-06-09, 03:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,641 Posts

it may look good and have good specs, but i ain't touching a car built by a company part owned by the UAW and part owned by the govt/taxpayer. can you say employees who don't give a crap?

Quick Reply: The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.