Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best car (used) for ~$17k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 12:48 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FKL is correct..04 & 05 (the first 2 years of the last body style) still had tranny issues...
must look for 06 & newer.....
Old 07-23-09, 01:02 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MINE!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!

(see link in sig )

man, cars are so cheap for you guy!
Old 07-23-09, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleainat
Good catch! I didn't realize the TLs could be so cheap, but they are I guess. I heard the auto tranns on Acuras/Hondas go bad early on. How long is Acura's powertrain warranty?
The acccord and TL only had transmission issues from the late 90's until about 2003. Get a newer one than that and you'll probably be OK.

Acura's 6/70 drivetrain and 4/50 bumper-to-bumper warranty generally matches that of rivals Lexus and Infiniti....and outdoes the European upmarket nameplates.

I will have him check out Infiniti, although I haven't been much of a fan myself...
Some of the used G35's may be nice cars for the money, expecially the AWD models if your friend wants all-weather capability.
Old 07-23-09, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
acura trannys had issues going into 2005 with the TL. This in addition to basically every Honda automatic from 1998 to 2003. The one on my 2002 accord v6 has failed twice before 100K.
According to Consumer Reports, the best reliability source I know of, TL transmission issues ended abruptly after 2003. The 2004 and later transmissions were far more reliable than theose of 2003.

CR also verifies your experience with the Accord automatics. The transmissions were well-below average in reliability up through 2001, remained below average (though slightly improved) for 2002, and then improved dramatically in 2003.

So, in effect, the TL had tranny problems for roughly one year more than the Accords did.
Old 07-23-09, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For 17K, also check out a used turbo Subaru Legacy GT. They can be fun to drive, are well-built, reliable, and offer standard AWD traction. The Legacy/Outback, for years, has been my favorite line of cars, but I'm being objective here and not just trying to foster my views off on your friend, because it's his money here at stake, not mine. With a Subaru, like an Accord or TL, you are probably better off with one built after 2003.
Old 07-23-09, 03:02 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

thank you for all the good advice. he said he doesn't care for Infinitis and also doesn't want AWD. He prefers the A4s or 3 Series, but I just feel like that might open a huge possibility of repairs compared to the Japanese cars...
Old 07-23-09, 04:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Well the b7 a4 is actually quite reliable.
Old 07-23-09, 04:46 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

a4 maybe even an e46? i think you can find those for 17 and under
Old 07-23-09, 07:49 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to Consumer Reports, the best reliability source I know of, TL transmission issues ended abruptly after 2003. The 2004 and later transmissions were far more reliable than theose of 2003.

CR also verifies your experience with the Accord automatics. The transmissions were well-below average in reliability up through 2001, remained below average (though slightly improved) for 2002, and then improved dramatically in 2003.

So, in effect, the TL had tranny problems for roughly one year more than the Accords did.
nope. i just researched...i thought it was up to 05 they still had problems. They had problems up through the 04's according to acurazine.com & lemonauto.com..... so in essence....05 and newer they are good
04 an older are made out of glass...

only reason i searched is i almost got a TL once but never did b/c of these tranny issues....always wanted to know for sure when they were actually not junk!
Old 07-23-09, 07:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Acura is a good choice for used cars. They are reliable, but don't hold their value as well as Lexus or BMW. Try to look for a TL or even a TSX.

Also, an Infiniti G35 sedan can be had for about $17k with about 50k miles. May not be fully loaded, but at least you get a powerful V6, RWD, and even a manual tranny if you want it...
Acura's generally have some of the highest resale values in the industry and often beat out Lexus and Toyota. In 2007 Acura/Honda had the highest resale value in the industry. In 2008 Acura was 3rd highest while Lexus was 7th and Toyota was 10th. VW was number 1 in 2008 and BMW was 2nd according to KBB. In 2007 the Acura TSX had the highest resale value for a sedan, the MDX had the highest for a SUV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/04/k...-value-awards/

http://auto-loan.interest.com/auto-l...alue_tips.html

The friend who lost his business/job should just use the 17K saved to pay off the M5 or pay it off as soon as possible and immediately sell the M5 to free up as much money possible before it depreciates too much. If he is broke or in serious financial trouble, driving around in a 90K+ M5 makes no sense, it gets horrible gas mileage and generally costs a fortune to insure on top of how ridiculously expensive it is.

Obviously your friend wants performance but really needs to to watch his finances and be responsible with his choice so I would recommend a used 3rd Gen TL, TSX, G35/37, possibly M35, Lexus GS400/430, if possible CPO or extended warranty for a used E46 3 series,6 speed v6 Accord coupes are sporty and fun, he is not going to find anything reasonably priced that will come anywhere near what his M5 was but he needs to worry more about finances then a hot car right now. He should not get a used German car without a warranty either because they could easily be money pits and cost him a ton to maintain and repair.
Old 07-23-09, 07:59 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

^^^ VW was #1 in 2008?!?!?!? who woulda thought....
Old 07-23-09, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fleainat
thank you for all the good advice. he said he doesn't care for Infinitis and also doesn't want AWD. He prefers the A4s or 3 Series, but I just feel like that might open a huge possibility of repairs compared to the Japanese cars...
Audis, in general, as you note, are now about as reliable, on the average, as most BMWs, but less-reliable than their Japanese-designed competition. A4s, in some versions, come in FWD like he wants....with others, Quattro AWD is standard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
nope. i just researched...i thought it was up to 05 they still had problems. They had problems up through the 04's according to acurazine.com & lemonauto.com..... so in essence....05 and newer they are good
04 an older are made out of glass...
I don't trust any of those organizations (even J.D. Power) as much as I do Consumer Reports. CR has what, IMO, is the best auto-reliability database there is. Their findings also closely agree with my own experience with the many cars that I gave owned over the years.

only reason i searched is i almost got a TL once but never did b/c of these tranny issues....always wanted to know for sure when they were actually not junk!
Well, with today's new Acuras, you don't have to worry either way. You just have to put up with those silly parrot-beak grilles.
Old 07-23-09, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
FKL is correct..04 & 05 (the first 2 years of the last body style) still had tranny issues...
must look for 06 & newer.....
Consumer Reports indicates otherwise, but if you (or anyone else) is still uncomfortable with the idea of buying a 2004 or 2005, then fine, I agree......don't buy one. One of the main things involved with buying any car, new or used, is peace of mind.
Old 07-23-09, 08:28 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

I don't trust any of those organizations (even J.D. Power) as much as I do Consumer Reports. CR has what, IMO, is the best auto-reliability database there is. Their findings also closely agree with my own experience with the many cars that I gave owned over the years.

Well, with today's new Acuras, you don't have to worry either way. You just have to put up with those silly parrot-beak grilles.
your right...they are ugly as hell.... I dont even look twice now

Consumer Reports indicates otherwise, but if you (or anyone else) is still uncomfortable with the idea of buying a 2004 or 2005, then fine, I agree......don't buy one. One of the main things involved with buying any car, new or used, is peace of mind.
if i ever do pick one up..ill play it safe...06 or newer... "peace of mind", you hit it on the nose!

Quick Reply: Best car (used) for ~$17k?