Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My brother's FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 04:45 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My brother's FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition.

bought it last year, figured there are some off road fanatics even though this is lexus forum. this is his DD

what you guys think
Old 06-10-09, 04:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it since it's reliable like the 4-runner with more capability. It's way better than my Jeep (bad weather/ski SUV).
Old 06-10-09, 05:48 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

are you an off road guy too?
Old 06-10-09, 05:55 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks awesome. do you know if there are more of these available (new)? This car is definitely on my list in the future. This is the type of truck you can use for 20 years.

btw are those tires bad for city/highway driving (non offroad)? They look like they might make the ride a little rough.
Old 06-10-09, 06:27 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Nice! That is the best color for the FJ! Nicely modded.

Its weird I HATE stock FJ's, but once modded with a small lift, bigger tires, bull bar, etc it just transforms the FJ.
Old 06-10-09, 07:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a refreshing alternative to the pice of trash Jeep wrangler. The Wrangler is the lowest of low in my book for any automotive category. I have driven them extensively in rental car trim and they are truely no more advanced than my moms old 81 datsun station wagon. Just trash

I wish the rented the FJ instead of the wrangler. I opted for the slightly less ****ty mustang convertible on this last trip and I hated it almost as much. . There is very little attention to detail, design cues and ergonomics are horrible, and functionally the cars are very very basic.
Old 06-10-09, 10:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

His DD has mud tires? Does he offroad daily? If yes, your brother is one lucky guy
Old 06-10-09, 11:37 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
that looks awesome. do you know if there are more of these available (new)? This car is definitely on my list in the future. This is the type of truck you can use for 20 years.

btw are those tires bad for city/highway driving (non offroad)? They look like they might make the ride a little rough.
I dont think these are available anymore, at least not new. there were only about 3000 made. im sure you can find some online for sale, but you are probably better off buying a regular one and modding the hell out of it
this is probably the most fun SUV to mod today, there is almost everything possible to get, even supercargers. TRD URD, etc
Old 06-10-09, 11:41 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO

Originally Posted by Faymester
His DD has mud tires? Does he offroad daily? If yes, your brother is one lucky guy
those are mostly off road tires with some versatility towards the road. they are actually not rough at all.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its a refreshing alternative to the pice of trash Jeep wrangler. The Wrangler is the lowest of low in my book for any automotive category. I have driven them extensively in rental car trim and they are truely no more advanced than my moms old 81 datsun station wagon. Just trash

I wish the rented the FJ instead of the wrangler. I opted for the slightly less ****ty mustang convertible on this last trip and I hated it almost as much. . There is very little attention to detail, design cues and ergonomics are horrible, and functionally the cars are very very basic.
im not a big fan of Jeep either. cant even compare a Jeep to a toyota. Im with you in that one
Old 06-10-09, 11:57 PM
Rash
hmm

Looks great
Old 06-11-09, 12:34 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kind of like a Hummer, isn't it?

no offense.
Old 06-11-09, 10:43 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
I dont think these are available anymore, at least not new. there were only about 3000 made. im sure you can find some online for sale, but you are probably better off buying a regular one and modding the hell out of it
this is probably the most fun SUV to mod today, there is almost everything possible to get, even supercargers. TRD URD, etc
I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser as a daily driver. It was one of the first made, sold a week after they arrived on the dealer lots. I bought it because it was one of the few SUVs with a manual transmission.

The TT edition is a yearly special edition. 2007 TT was all black; 2008 TT was all white.

The rumor is that Toyota is pulling the plug on manual transmissions for 2009, and the FJC will be canceled entirely after 2009. So if you want one, now would be the time.

You can learn a lot at the forums: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com

Sandi
Old 06-11-09, 10:57 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i sold toyota's in college and when this came out there was a good size waiting list. only bad thing is the blind spot.
Old 06-11-09, 11:10 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex
kind of like a hummer, isn't it?

No offense. :d
nooooooooo
Old 06-11-09, 11:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

The FJs look kinda neat on the outside but I never cared for their interior. Too quirky for me. I'm not sure how much it shares with our 4runner other than the ladder frame's basic design and engine, but I'm happier with our 4runner than I think I would be with an FJ. I'm also not sure how much better of an off-roader the FJ is than the 4runner, but it's not really an issue since our 4runner has never been off road.

Did Toyota get the issue sorted out with the sheet metal having structural tears in it? Do those issues also apply to the 4runner? I remember reading about it but never really followed up on it to see if it might affect our 4runner.

Quick Reply: My brother's FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition.