Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 08:17 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New car in my garage

I know this won't excite anyone here terribly, and it's a pretty decent step down from my last three cars (335i, A4, and GS400) but... my 335i lease is up in October and I was ready to settle down with something practical, fuel efficient, comfortable, kid-friendly (no kids yet, but within a couple years probably), fairly reliable, cheap/easy to fix, and inexpensive enough that if it got a door ding or developed a rattle I could just mentally 'write it off' it without being my usual OCD self.

Enter the 2009 Saturn Aura XR 4-cyl 6-speed auto with a 22/33 EPA rating (and keep in mind that's the new 2008 rating... in 2007 this car would have been rated at 25 or 26 and 38!), and a driving experience that while slow, is still livable, surprisingly quiet/smooth (quieter and smoother than my parent's 05 Camry XLE), and offers a mixture of quality and practicality that I couldn't find in any other car (except the Malibu) for thousands more and higher overall ownership costs. The 10 grand in discounts and rebates sure didn't hurt either. I liked the Malibu a tad better but the discounts were a good bit worse unfortunately, plus the wife wanted leather which meant I needed to get the LTZ, and the LTZ came standard with 18s which hurt the ride quality, and I couldn't find any without a sunroof. The sunroof cuts rear headroom enough to where I don't fit in the back. That's strange considering the glass actually slides up over the roof instead of inside the roof.

The finance guy said I won the prize for the most stackable discounts and rebates he'd ever successfully put through at once. Once it was all said and done, this brand new car with a 25,800 sticker was being written up on the sales ticket for under 16k.

Here's a slide show... you'll have to manually advanced or hit the play button.
http://picasaweb.google.com/threxx/2...53198614457842

In summary, yeah, it's slow, but it's as/more comfortable than a Camry, as cheap as a base model Civic, and nearly as fuel efficient as one too. Quality seems pretty good too! I know Saturn is leaving GM but I'm confident my dealer will stick around and even if not, parts/service will still be available from anyone that can service a Malibu since they're nearly identical cars aside from cosmetics.

Again... I'm sure to most of you this is a yawn type purchase. But ya know what... I was able to write a check for this car without putting any strain on the bank account. It's going to be REALLY nice not having a monthly payment and driving a car that was so inexpensive that if it gets a door ding or develops a rattle or whatever, that I can just say "so what... it's point A to point B transportation".

In a few years once we've had a couple kids and the wife is able to go back to work, then maybe I'll take the money I saved by driving this practical vehicle and buy something nice... maybe a Vette?
Old 06-08-09, 08:19 AM
LexFather

Damn new for 16k? What a deal!! I always have been a big fan of this car, sad the American public just overlooks it. I think it looks superb as well.

Congrats!

Old 06-08-09, 08:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice car for $16K! Plus, you don't see as many Aura's as Malibu's on the streets. You can't go wrong...
Old 06-08-09, 09:04 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't those Saturns (Aura, Astra) and Chevy Malibu american lines of german Opel? Those new models are really good looking and pretty reliable too.
Old 06-08-09, 09:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you are ready to make a family Threxx. Congrats on the Saturn.. Whne you are ready for speed, RK Sport has supercharger kits, etc. for the Ecotech 4 banger.. Think 4 door Cobolt..

The M3 is calling you Threxx.. You will go cold turkey shortly
Old 06-08-09, 09:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like the perfect car for your needs, and I know you have been going back and forth on this decision for a while now.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
Old 06-08-09, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Congragulations. I think highly of the Aura and Malibu, and have commented numerous times on both of them in the past. Both, of course, have hybrid versions, although not as advanced as the outstanding new Ford Fusion Hybrid.

You, like me, seem to like ride comfort. That is one of the few mistakes that Saturn has done with the Aura. In the past, they offered the smoother-riding XE version with the V6 and higher-profile tires. Some time last year, they dropped the V6 option from the smoother-riding XE, now offering it only on the sportier XR with the lower-profile, firmer-riding tires. The XE now comes only with the 4. And, they also replaced the lower-tech but more reliable 3.5L V6 with the higher-tech but somewhat less-reliable 3.6L V6.

And, if you are tall like I am, don't ride in back.....that is another one of the car's few weak points. Like the Malibu and Fusion, headroom in back is definitely on the tight side.

Did they give you the break-in recommendations at the dealership, or do you need them? (Not all of us at CL, BTW, agree as to what the proper methods actually are....but auto companies, in general, make more or less the same recommendatons)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 09:58 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations on your new purchase...
Old 06-08-09, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Aren't those Saturns (Aura, Astra) and Chevy Malibu american lines of german Opel?

They are indeed. The Saturn VUE is also, more-or-less, Opel-derived. The other Saturns (Outlook and Sky) are GM-derived.
Old 06-08-09, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great deal, that 4-cylinder with recent updates in probably the smoothest in its class today.

But the price needs to be very low as quoted. The resale value of these cars gets hammered as the flood of rental and fleet sales hits the market (not to mention other factors related to GM bankruptcy and Saturns sell-off), so the new car pricing is appropriate.
Old 06-08-09, 10:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The XE now comes only with the 4. And, they also replaced the lower-tech but more reliable 3.5L V6 with the higher-tech but somewhat less-reliable 3.6L V6.
What is wrong with the 3.6L for it to be deemed 'less reliable'? This is the same V6 that comes with the standard Caddy CTS.

This V6 is just one out of 10 best engines in the world according to Wards..
Old 06-08-09, 10:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
In summary, yeah, it's slow, but it's as/more comfortable than a Camry, as cheap as a base model Civic, and nearly as fuel efficient as one too. Quality seems pretty good too!
Awesome find.

I like the Aura, and it's good that you found a great deal on it.

Now, put on 20" chromes...
Old 06-08-09, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
What is wrong with the 3.6L for it to be deemed 'less reliable'? This is the same V6 that comes with the standard Caddy CTS.

This V6 is just one out of 10 best engines in the world according to Wards..
Yes, I know it is the same engine as the CTS (and the new Camaro V6). Consumer Reports just mentioned, in some articles, that it was slightly less reliable than the old 3.5L. The difference is not huge. But that is made up for in the better efficiency and power of the 3.6L.

But, either way, I think Threxx did the right thing going with the 4. While not quite as smooth or powerful as the 3.6L, it is FAR better than the rough, noisy, agricultural Quad-4 it replaces, and the out-the-door 16K sticker price was a real bargin. The 4 also comes with more comfortable tires and suspension.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 10:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Threxx, didn't you mention a while back, that you might take a look at the new Buick LaCrosse when it comes out later this year?
Old 06-08-09, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Threxx, didn't you mention a while back, that you might take a look at the new Buick LaCrosse when it comes out later this year?
A new LaCrosse probably isn't going out the door for 16K.

Quick Reply: New car in my garage