Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus to get Lexus V10, V8, V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 09:46 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus to get Lexus V10, V8, V6

Next Lotus Esprit might get the IS 350, IS-F and LFA engines

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/27/r...-by-lexus-v10/
Old 05-27-09, 09:51 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

By the looks of it lotus will have the lfa v10 before the lfa hehehe.
Old 05-27-09, 10:15 PM
LexFather

The source is EVO, very solid.
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/23..._gallardo.html

Lotus' relationship with Toyota could extend beyond supplying drivetrains for the Elise, Exige and Evora, with three new engines sourced from Lexus rumored to be fitted to the 2012 Lotus Esprit. According to EVO, a choice of three Esprits will be available for any (thick) wallet, including a 300 hp version packing Toyota's direct injected V6, a 417 hp model that would make use of the Lexus IS F's 5.0-liter V8 and, at the top of the range, a V10-powered Esprit packing the yet-to-be-released Lexus LF-A's 500+ hp engine.

Additionally, the alliance with Toyota could make good on Lotus' recent push for eco-friendly motoring. The Hethel-based automaker has repeated said that lightweight platforms and fuel-efficient drivetrains are a top priority, going so far as renaming its powertrain engineering arm the "propulsion systems" division. As such, an "Eco Esprit" could be available with a reworked version of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive.

The recently launched Evora will be the basis for the next Esprit, and considering the quick turnaround – a mere 27 months – for the Evora to go from concept to production, Lotus has the ability to bring the new Esprit to market quicker than ever. If the Evora's a hit, then we should be seeing the Esprit on roads in Europe, the UK and the US by 2012, with a price somewhere north of £100,000 for the V10-powered variant.

Old 05-27-09, 10:15 PM
LexFather

U know I wish Toyota would use LOTUS for some manuals and sport tuning help.

Old 05-27-09, 10:20 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
U know I wish Toyota would use LOTUS for some manuals and sport tuning help.
Oh indeed yes!
Old 05-27-09, 11:16 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

And Toyota should get some Lotus help with lightweight platforms.
Old 05-28-09, 06:06 AM
JessePS

thats pretty awesome to hear

Lexus LF-A vs. Lotus Esprit who will win hahaha
Old 05-28-09, 06:22 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V8 and V10 does not sound eco friendly to me no matter what kinda of lightweight platform it's riding on.
However it does make sense for Lexus to sell off more engines because it'll reduce cost for the LF-A drivetrain.

I completely agree that Lotus should help Toyota with suspensions. And for the love of all that is holy PLEASE give the 3.5 V6 a manual.
Old 05-28-09, 06:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats nice.. But what does Lexus/Toyota get in return?? The one sided marriage continues. How about tuning the suspensions on Lexus cars Lotus?
Old 05-28-09, 07:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think this is a bad idea, personally.

If Lexus is building it's F range of cars to be unique, rare halo models, selling their engines to other manufacturers seems counterproductive IMO.

I know that Toyota and Lotus have worked together for a while now, and selling F engines to them might make a better business case, but then again, I think Lexus could make enough of a case within their own lineup. The IS-F is only a tweaked version of the UR V8 which doesn't make it that much more expensive to manufacture, but there is a business case for the V10 too.

Before the economy tanked there were very credible sources saying that a V10 GS F would be following the IS F next year. The market went sour and this project has been pushed back until the next generation GS arrives. That alone is 2 models that will use the V10. If the next gen SC sits on the GS platform, an SC F could also use the engine, as could an LS F. Bored out and retuned for torque, this engine would be perfect for use in other F vehicles like I mentioned.

I would have no problem with Lexus giving them a version of the 4.6L V8 to work with, but I think that the specially tuned and created F engines (5.0L V8, V10) should be reserved for Lexus only. AMG and M don't give their engines out to other companies...I think it would be odd if they did. Plus, Lexus is going to have a hard time charging $200,000-$300,000 for an LF-A when the Esprit uses the same V10 for half the price.

Bad idea.
Old 05-28-09, 07:26 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Thats nice.. But what does Lexus/Toyota get in return?? The one sided marriage continues. How about tuning the suspensions on Lexus cars Lotus?
Well what they do is buy engines which turns more profit.
2ZZ-GE engine was used on three Toyota vehicles for a short amount of time that didn't sell many of. (Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS and Celica GTS) Since those cars are discontinued as well as those engines in Toyota cars it helps profit off the engines they designed and no longer use and can still make the plants churn a few more of those engines.
2GR-FE is in use in a lot of mass produced cars so I have no comment on that one.
The V10 makes a lot of sense since it's only supposed going to be used in the LF-A that has a short run of 500 units. Hopefully Lexus smartens up and creates an SC-F, GS-F and maybe LS-F using the engine.
Old 05-28-09, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
I completely agree that Lotus should help Toyota with suspensions. And for the love of all that is holy PLEASE give the 3.5 V6 a manual.
The new Evora has a 6MT mated to the 3.5L V6, though it's non-DI.
Old 05-28-09, 07:34 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The new Evora has a 6MT mated to the 3.5L V6, though it's non-DI.
Lotus needs to give that to Lexus/Toyota.
Old 05-28-09, 07:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

They should just buy Lotus and incorporate their cars as sporty Lexus
Old 05-28-09, 07:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Well what they do is buy engines which turns more profit.
2ZZ-GE engine was used on three Toyota vehicles for a short amount of time that didn't sell many of. (Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS and Celica GTS) Since those cars are discontinued as well as those engines in Toyota cars it helps profit off the engines they designed and no longer use and can still make the plants churn a few more of those engines.
2GR-FE is in use in a lot of mass produced cars so I have no comment on that one.
The V10 makes a lot of sense since it's only supposed going to be used in the LF-A that has a short run of 500 units. Hopefully Lexus smartens up and creates an SC-F, GS-F and maybe LS-F using the engine.
It seems as if it is all about profit for Toyota/Lexus. How about addressing the line up? The current lineup is stale and getting old fast imo. That Evora would make a great F car to compete with the likes of Porshe Boxster/Cayman, Z4, SLK.. It would be great to see a "tuned by Lotus" badge on the side of some Lexus cars. The old folk should remeber the Isuzu Impulse of the 80's that had the "tuned by loyus badge". the suspension on that car was amazing for its day thanks to Lotus.

Quick Reply: Lotus to get Lexus V10, V8, V6