Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Honda Insight

Review of the 2010 Honda Insight LX.

http://automobiles.honda.com/insight-hybrid/

In a Nutshell: A well-built, relatively inexpensive way to save gas, but with a jerky powertrain and overly-plastic interior.

I did not get any direct CL requests for a review of the new Insight Hybrid, but there seems to be some CL interest in it, and a number of people I know, outside of CL, have also expressed some interest in it (as has my brother). I saw one at the D.C. Auto Show in February, was able to look it over a limited amount, but, of course, could not drive it. I did, however, place it on my review list.....and I'll share my review with you CL guys.

This weekend, I was helping an ex-co-worker get a new Civic EX coupe (his old Volvo was getting troublesome), and the Honda dealership he wanted to use had a couple of new Insights that had just come in (one of which was a factory-owned EX-model demo, not for sale). So, I went up to the place early, and, while waiting for him to arrive and shop for the new Civic, looked over a new LX model, took some notes, and gave it a test-drive...enough for a basic review. They offered me my choice of the LX or the factory-owned EX for the test-drive, but, since the whole objective of the Insight was to introduce a low-priced Hybrid, I chose the lower-priced LX model to see how it would stack up. There really wasn't much difference I could tell between the two models, besides the wheel/tire packages, a cargo-area cover, and minor trim differences (more on that below).

The first Honda Insight, a tiny 2-seater roughly based on the then-extinct Honda CRX (dropped in 1992), was the first mass-produced gas-electric hybrid to be introduced into the American parket. It had FWD, a tiny in-line three cylinder gas engine, and an electric-drive motor/battery pack, known as IMA (Integrated Motor Assist). It hit local dealerships here in early 2000, beating the somewhat larger Toyota Prius by some 6-8 months (the Prius, as I remember, was not introduced until August-September of that year). Both cars were essentially Americanized versions of gas-electric hybrids that had already been on sale overseas for a year or so. I got to drive one of the first Insights that came to dealerships close to my house, and, except for the typically excellent Honda build quality and superb gas mileage (60-70 MPG was often achieved with good driving techniques, and Car and Driver magazine once did 92 MPG on a special economy run), I was generally not impressed with it. That super gas mileage (as to be expected) came at a big price in comfort, room, and drivability. It was a good basic commuter car for one or two LIGHT adults (its total payload was only 350 lbs, including cargo weight), but had high road noise from lack of insulation, slow acceleration even with the electric boost, no automatic transmision for city use (later models had a CVT), rather sluggish handling from the skinny low-rolling resistance tires, and a big, bulky battery pack in the back seat right over the fuel tank that took up some of what little cargo room there was and made me nervous about potential sparks and gasoline in a significant rear-end impact. I don't know of any actual instances of Insights or other small hybrids becoming fireballs in a rear-impact, but the thought of it just made me nervous.

I mentioned that the first-generation Insight was based (or appeared to be based, as the Honda people were mum and never verified it) on the 2-seater Honda CRX, a very small FWD coupe that was wildly popular with the tuner and slamming crowd. But that does not mean that CRX fans became Insight fans......far from it. A close friend of mine and ex co-worker, Rick ******, for example, though not part of the younger CRX tuning crowd, was about as dyed-in-the-wool a CRX fan as anyone I've ever met. He had, for a number of years, a CRX HF and Si, and loved them both...but he was not impressed with the first-generation Insight either.......his view was typical of many CRX owners. Of course, to be fair, the Insight was not intended to be a sport-oriented, direct replacement for the CRX (except, perhaps, the fuel-miser CRX HF model). But, there was no doubt that, except for the big, ugly (IMO), protruding fender skirts on the Insight (done for aerodynamic reasons), there were a lot of similiarities to the CRX in size, shape, styling, and, of course, number of seats. Though Honda never verified it, I would bet that the Insight designers started with the a basic CRX unibody/frame, substituted some lighter body parts (the Insight had plastic and aluminum panels instead of steel), and added the skirts, hybrid drivetrain, reworked dash, and battery pack.

The Insight was a mild success, and, of course, until the Prius was intoduced later that year, was the darling of the environmentalist crowd. But gas prices were not the issue, back then, that they became in the summer of 2008 when they reached $4 a gallon-plus, and that, combined with the rather high price for a small car that size ($20,000 was a lot of money for a subcompact then), and dealer mark-ups and unwillingness to bargain, drove a lot of potential buyers into cheaper Civics (and the later Honda Fit). People discovered they could buy a lot of gasoline for the difference between what an Insight and a base Civic cost. Even at 20K+ retail, Honda and Toyota, at first, lost money on each Insight and Prius they sold......the car was, of course, with its complex hardware and electronics, expensive to produce. Both manufacturers, though, unlike many other auto companies of the period, were firmly committed to hybrid production, regardless of cost or profit, and the rest, of course, is history. The first Hybrid Ford Escape, for example, used a Toyota-patented electric-drive unit (under license) hooked to a Ford in-line 4 cylinder.

Insight sales were also impacted by the somewhat larger and more practical Toyota Prius, which though geekily-styled and with quirky, unconventional controls, offered more room, a better ride, 4 doors, and at least a small back seat. Many potential Insight buyers (and Consumer Reports agreed with them) decided that the Prius, for roughly the same money as an insight, was a better buy. Then, of course, came the big-brother Honda Civic Hybrid, which, like the Prius, offered 4 doors, more room...for only a few thousand more than the Insight. The Civic Hybrid, along with the Prius, all but wiped out Insight sales. Today, the relatively few 2-seater Insights sold are perhaps most valuable, more than for any other purpose, as collector cars. They will always be known as the first production gas-electric Hybrid vehicles in the U.S., and take their place in automotive history.

So, fast-forward to 2009/2010. Honda marketers, with the original 2-seater Insight having been dropped, decided (and I agree with them) that the time had come for a small, inexpensive, gas-electric hybrid to undercut the Prius and Civic Hybrid; both of them having grown somewhat over the years in both size and price. This time, however, the new Insight would be a more practical and usable car, with 4 doors, a bigger trunk, more payload, and more comfort. The mileage of the new Insight would not quite match that of the old one (part of that is a new EPA system of measuring), but that would be compensated by more comfort, practicality, and (hopefully) appeal to a wider scope of potential buyers, many of whom have become enamored by the worship of the Prius in the media, Hollywood, and celebrities.

In the American market, three basic models of the new Insight are offered; the LX, EX, and EX/NAV. All three feature an in-line, 1.3L VTEC gasoline four, a CVT automatic transmission, and, of course, Honda's latest version of the IMA electric-drive system. As I stated above, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference in them except a few standard and optional convienence items. Only the EX/NAV, of course, come with the NAV system, and alloy wheels are not available on the LX, which surprising on a hybrid, since alloys are usually standard to save vehicle weight. But the main goal, a smaller, cheaper alternative to the Prius and civic Hybrids, sems to have been met. All three Insight models, independent of dealer markups (which are unlikely in this recession market) substantially undercut the Prius and Civic Hybrid in price. The LX model I chose for the review and test drive listed for just over 20K.....almost dead-even, price-wise, with the original Insight I test-drove almost 10 years ago. Though there are some drivability quirks, rear-seat problems, and, admittedly, some interior cost-cutting features on the new Insight (shared by the Fit as well), which I'll describe, this car, IMO, is a steal at 20K.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Honda Insight LX.

Base Price: $19,800

Options: None

Destination/Freight: $670

List Price as Reviewed: $20,470

Drivetrain: FWD, Transversely-mounted Honda IMA (Integrated Motor Assist), VTEC 1.3L gasoline in-line 4, 98 HP @ 5800 RPM, Torque 123 Ft-lbs. @ 1000-1700 RPM, Electric DC permanent-magnet motor, 13 HP @ 1500, Torque 58 Ft-lbs. @ 1000 RPM, CVT transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 40 City, 43 Highway,

Exterior Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Interior: Gray Cloth

PLUSSES:

Superb gas mileage.

Driver-controlled Dual/Econ Hybrid mode.

Econo-Score readout, on engine shutoff, assesses fuel use for the trip.

Gauges much easier to read than Toyota Prius.

Wind noise well-muted.

Well-sealed, precise-closing doors.

Excellent projected reliability.

Precise, Swiss-Watch assembly quality.

Low price for a Hybrid.

Hybrid tax credits and HOV priviledges in some areas.

Nitrogen-filled tires resist leaking.

Well-hidden battery pack does not intrude.

Excellent exterior hardware (except for the rear wiper-arm).

Excellent interior hardware.

Nice paint job (slight orange peel with Black).

Relatively good but somewhat tight underhood layout.

Nice, soft interior seat cloth.

Nice stereo for a car this price.

Simple-to-use fore/aft shifter with no zig-zags.

Solid, well-designed climate vents.

Attractive primary gauges and bright, multi-color gauge lighting.

Slick, smooth buttons/*****/levers.

Comfortable steering wheel with no stitching.

OK cargo area finish (but lacks cargo cover)

Honda standard drivetrain warranty now 5/60 like most lower-price Japanese manufacturers.

MINUSES:

Wimpy acceleration in both gas and gas/electric modes.

Jerky power flow and IMA management.

CVT transmission rubber-banding sensations.

No sport-manual shifting for CVT in LX version (shift paddles in the EX).

Somewhat spongy brakes (Hybrid-regenerative braking)

Poorly-located brake pedal for big feet.

Moderate understeer.

Choppy but not harsh ride.

Rather thin body sheet metal.

Relatively low ground clearance from the bodywork

More quirky, complex-than-usual climate and stereo controls for a Honda, even without NAV.

Gimmicky, two-level digital speedometer/analog tachometer, like in the Civic.

Unpleasant, overly-hard-plastic interior dash, door panels, and trim.

No padded armrests on the door panels.

El Cheapo sun visors.

Very poor rear tunnel-vision out the back window.

Plush-cloth, but somewhat unsupportive front seats.

Overly-raked, almost horizontal, Prius-like rear window severly impacts rear headroom.

Munchkin-sized rear seating area and legroom unsuitable for normal-sized and larger adults.

Dated, old-fashioned ignition switch (the Prius has a nice push-button).

Floppy rear-window wiper blade lacks a full-length arm for support.

No standard pull-cargo-cover for the LX model (an accessory).

Plastic wheel covers and steel wheels (unusual for a hybrid) standard in LX model.

Limited paint color choice, and dull paint colors.

Low ground clearance hinders clean-ups.

Too much copy-cat Prius styling (IMO) in the rear end.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the Insight for the first time, the first impression you get of it is that it shares some Honda styling with some distinctly Un-Honda lines as well. The front end looks, more or less, like a much smaller version of the Honda Odyssey minivan, and the extremely flat, well-raked rear roof-line and rear-hatch are strongly influenced by both the current Toyota Prius (which itself seems to have some older French/Renault rear-end cues) and the former, smaller Insight. The roofline, though fine for aerodynamics, robs too much headroom and entry/exit room for larger-sized adults (more on that below). Although vision out the rear-quarter windows is OK, the thick D-pillars and split-tunnel effect of the glass in the rear hatch-lid makes for very poor rear-vision (also more on that below).

Sheet metal, as to be expected in a high-mileage, weight-saving vehicle, is OK, but a little on the light side. The original Insight, as I described above, used some plastic body panels, but Honda went for lightweight sheet metal in the new version. But, even so, all of the doors, hood, and trunk-lidclose with extreme, mini-"thunk" precision as if they were fitted with lasers (they probably WERE). This is also the case with the Civic, Accord, and a number of other Hondas. Unusual, on a Hybrid, is the LX model's stamped-steel wheels with silver-plastic wheel covers (EX models get alloy wheels). Hybrids usually get alloys because they are lighter then steel wheels, but cost-cutting seems to be a factor with the LX. Hybrids, of course, by the very nature of their gas-electric powertrains and complex batteries/electronics, are inherently expensive to produce.

The paint job is typically Honda/Acura first-rate, although, with the black on my test car, there was a small amount of orange peel...not too noticeable. Black, more so than any other paint color, seems to be very hard to do without orange peel (I've noticed that with a number of manufacturers). The paint color choice, IMO, could use some shades from the Honda Fit and S2000...as is often the case, I find the Insight's paint colors to be more suitable for the city morgue than for automobiles. The typically Honda exterior hardware and trim quality is first-rate...I consider Honda/Acura, overall, perhaps the best manufacturer for hardware quality (I know some of you may disagree, and I respect that, but that is the way I firmly see it). Fortunately, however, Honda has avoided the tendency of Acura to use the V-shaped, clown-grinning grilles.....I do agree with many of you that those grilles, though well-made, are goofy-looking. And, one small lapse in the exterior hardware seems to be design of the wiper arms. VW and some European makes also use the same type....the rubber blade has only a small center-section frame/support, and flops out freely at both ends. It wasn't raining when I test-drove the car, so I wasn't able to see how well the design actually works in bad weather, but I'll assume the engineers have have pre-tested them. The body sits rather low, and there are small aerodynamic-fairings on the lower-body panels as well, so, of course, that means there's not much room for getting a hose under the car for salt/sand clean-up after winter driving. The rather low-rolling-resistant tires, designed for high mileage, are filled with nitrogen rather than conventional air (a growing tend with some new cars).....pure nitrogen is supposed to be more resistant to leaks.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the relatively lightweight metal hood, and a cheap prop-rod holds it up, but, for the price, is not, IMO, a complaint issue. An underhood insulation pad helps quell noise from the already-quiet drivetrain. Overall, the underhood layout is OK. The transversely-mounted 1.3L VTEC four and IMA electric-drive motor fit in snugly but fairly well, and, though the electric motor is a little hidden by some upper-hardware, there is no annoying plastic engine cover to screw up access to the gas engine. The battery is up front, uncovered, and easily reached. All dipsticks, reservoirs, and filler caps are convienient and easily reached.

INTERIOR:

The interior was, again, typically Honda; extremely well-assembled, with good, solid, high-quality, slick-operating, hardware/buttons/switches. But the hard-surface plastics used everywhere, though reasonably durable-feeling, were, IMO, a disappointment. The Subaru Impreza also uses hard-plastics everywhere inside, but gives you small but well-padded armrests on all four doors......the Insight lacks even padded armrests for the doors. Chalk this up, of course, to cost-cutting....the expensive, complex drivetrain obviously forces some economization elsewhere, and Honda chose to take some of it out of the interior trim. I won't complain too much, though, because the whole idea of this car, of course, was to make an inexpensive but well-built hybrid.

The manually-adjusted front seats are not particularly comfortable, but have nice, soft, plush-feeling light-gray cloth that also feels fairly durable. Headroom and legroom up front were OK for tall persons, but extremely limited in the rear. The low, flat, horizontally-raked rear roofline (done for aerodynamics), and thick D-pillars bang the heads of taller persons getting in and out...it was almost impossible for me (at 6' 2") to get in and out while ducking my head low enough to get under the roofline. Foot/legroom, in back, is similiarly tight. While, admittedly, there's a lot more room inside than with the original 2-seat Insight (a design goal), consider this car, basically, a 2+2...the back is for children or smaller adults at best.

The clear, legible primary gauges have attractive white, red, bright-blue and bright-green back-lighting.....a nice change from the boring patterns of many cars. Though I'm not a fan of the two-tier Honda system of split-level analog/digital gauges (also used on the Civic), IMO, it's a far better setup than the quirky, awkward Prius dash with everything in the center. The manual-tilt steering column had a nice-feeling wrapping, was comfortable to hold, and had OK but not particularly nice-looking silver-plastic trim on the spokes. The climate/stereo buttons, arranged in a couple of hub/spoke patterns and a high-level readout, were somewhat more complex than usual for non-NAV equipped Honda, but were still not particularly difficult to use, and were of very high quality. The stereo sound was pretty nice for an entry-level car like this. I put on my favorite Twisted Sister song: "Destroyer"....one of their classic SMF tunes. Dee Snider, Twisted Sister's front man, a real nut-case on stage, simply out-does himself with that one.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Raise the rather low hatch lid, and you are greeted by a so-so cargo area with OK fit-and-finish.....again, not bad for the price. Decent-feeling, light-gray carpeting covers the floor, but the walls are covered in hard plastic like much of the interior. A temporary spare tire lies underneath and includes a nice little compartmented tray. The temporary spare can be excused this time, for two reasons. First, the relatively low price of the car, and, second, it saves weight over a conventional spare (saving weight is a hybrid design objective for high mileage). the backs of the rear seats are close enough to the rear of the car that a remote release-**** at the very back is not needed. Just reach forward a little, press the seat-release tabs, and Bingo, they drop down for added cargo room. The hatchback configuration gives somewhat better cargo room than small sedans, though there is still not a huge amount of cargo room to start with because of the extremely-slanted roofline, especially for tall items. So, the extra space with the rear seats down is appreciated. The big hybrid-battery pack, unlike many other hybrids, is well-hidden away in the rear (I couldn't see it), and does not seem to intrude on the aleady limited space. A cost-cutting measure with the LX model (and I did list this as a complaint, because I consider it an important piece of hardware) is the lack of a pull-cover that hides items in back from prying eyes. It is standard on the EX model, but, like on the new Subaru Forester, a dealer-installed accessory on the LX model. Shame, Honda. Shame, Subaru. No matter how low-priced or low-line the vehicle, IMO, one should NOT have to pay extra for the simple visual security of what you put in your trunk. That's like picking up one of the night girls downtown (Candy, Bubbles, Snowflake, etc...) and having to provide your own.....well, never mind. (just kidding, of course, but you get the picture)

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 1.3L VTEC four with a conventional key fob and an outdated, column-mounted ignition switch. This is one area where the Prius is ahead of the Insight....the Prius has a nice START/STOP button. The small four starts up with the usual Honda turbine-smooth/library-quiet idle. The electric motor generally remains off while the gas engine warms up to a minimum threshold, then cuts in and out as needed and programmed. A nice, simple, clear boost/ hybrid gauge takes the place of the more complex power-flow diagrams in the Prius and Civic hybrids, and shows when the electric motor assists and/or shuts everything off at a stop, when there is also an eerie silence (actually not much quieter than the engine's already low noise level). A green 'ECON" button on the dash changes the programming of the electric motor IMA system and various other gas/electronic functions to get the best mileage and use the least amount of fuel. At the end of the trip, when you shut the engine off, an econo-readout on the dash, like at the end of a video game, pops up and tells you how well you scored keeping the fuel use down.

The gas engine and electric motor, together, equal some 180 ft-lbs of torque, at low RPM's, but, in general, the power level just doesn't feel like that much, especially starting from rest, when it can be rather sluggish. Nor is it is refined as Toyota Hybrid systems. The Insight's IMA system doesn't operate as smoothly, in tandem, as that of the Prius. But fortunately, the Insight doesn't jump forward prematurely from a stop like the Civic Hybrid does when you let your foot of the brake and move it to the gas (that happens when the electric boost re-starts the gas engine). Honda (apparantly) got some complaints about that from Civic Hybrid owners, and that annoying tendency was not in the Insight at all. Still, the Insight's IMA co-ordination is not as smooth as Toyota's...the electric motor cuts in and out with a small but noticeable kick when at rest, or when needed for things like the A/C compressor and the heat-pump climate control.

The CVT transmssion has some of the traditional surging and rubber-banding motions associated with that type of transmission....they can generally be felt more while accelerating from rest. It is quite, however, and has a superbly-smooth, slick-shifting-lever inside. The lever is also the nice fore/aft type I like, without the annoying zig-zag pattern. The CVT, like many contemporary CVTs, has several imitation "gears" that mimic those of a conventional automatic, but the LX model has no separate sport-shift pattern......the lever is simply pulled back into D3, D2, etc.... The EX model has shift-paddles on the steering column.

The chassis is generally well done, with reasonably good handling and steering response despite tires that are designed more for low rolling resistance and fuel economy than track-blistering performance. There is not much body roll, and the steering feel is reasonably precise and firm (overboosted power steering used to be a Honda problem years ago). It definitely handles better than the Prius, which is higher, softer-riding, and has more body roll and slower response. Ride comfort in the Insight is borderline firm but not uncomfortable, though you can definitely feel the bumps. Wind-noise control is well-done for a car this size, probably from the precise-fitting doors and seals, but some road noise creeps in, like with many other Honda-designed products. The brakes are smooth, reasonably quick-reacting, and effective. They, of course, utilize the regerative-braking function, common in hybrids, where, when you let your foot off the gas or hit the brake, the electric-motor acts, in reverse, as a generator, helping to recharge the batteries and lessening the need for the gas engine's alternator to do so. The brake pedal is not particularly well-placed, though....I had some minimal, but not bad, hang-ups on the pedal with my big size-15 shoes going from the gas pedal to the brake.

THE VERDICT:

Overall, I have favorable opinion of this car. Gas mileage, as expected of a small hybrid, is excellent. Overall build/assembly quality, typical of Hondas, is like a Swiss Watch. Most of the gauges and dash lighting are simple and attractive, though I don't care for the split-level stuff. Both the interior and exterior hardware, also typical of Hondas, is excellent. The underhood layout, though not perfect, is OK for do-it-yourselfers (though it is, of course, a complex drivetrain). The stereo is good for an entry-level car. Reliability, like most Hondas, is likely to be excellent. And, of course, there are the hybrid tax credits and HOV-priviledges (which vary by region). Best of all, Honda has kept the price down, especially on the LX model, which is probably the least-expensive new hybrid I've seen yet.

But, like any car, there are some flies in the ointment as well. The interior trim, largely due to cost-cutting, is hard and unpleasant-feeling. The tunnel-vision out the back is quite poor. The rear seat is suitable only for small persons. The jerky, uneven IMA powertrain is not as smooth, IMO, as it should be...or as smooth as Toyota hybrid systems. The stereo/climate controls are on the complex side for a non-NAV Honda product. The lack of a standard cargo cover in the LX model is absurd, even with cost-cutting. And the car is not likely to get much of a discount, though the days of big hybrid price mark-ups seem to be in the past now.

And all of the small hybrids, Including the Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Prius, of course, get competition, in the high-fuel-mileage department, from VW's small diesels, although the Jetta TDI sells for more, and its low-sulfur diesel fuel is considerably more expensive than the regular 87-octane gas that small hybrids use. The TDI, however, far out-torques and out-powers small hybrids at low RPM, while getting roughly similiar fuel mileage, especially on the highway. The new TDI/Bluetec diesel drivability and engineering is first-rate (I've covered that in other reviews, and don't have to re-hash that here). The small VW TDI diesel doesn't need the periodic (10,000 mile) urea-injection tank refills that the Bluetec diesels do. And diesels qualify for tax credits just like like hybrids, but don't (to my knowledge) have HOV-lane priviledges.

The Insight, despite its jerky and sluggish powertrain, is also, IMO, a little more pleasant to drive, overall, than the Prius. The Insight handles much better than the Prius, does not ride too harshly to compensate, and has far more conventional, user-friendly dash, gauges, and controls.

So, the choice between a hybrid and a small diesel goes on, just like it has for years. Only this time, though, Honda has upped the bar some with a somewhat less-expensive alternative. I'm going to predict that the new Insight will be successful in the marketplace, although, of course, it will face some new competition from Toyota's all-new redesigned Prius next year....and from Honda's own Civic Hybrid. And, yes, that new Prius will definitely be on my review list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 05:46 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for another great review!

I have an overall positive view on this car but:

I think it's MPG should be higher. The new midsize Fusion hybrid gets better city mileage (41)!! And the 2010 Prius will be what, 50?

There's a lot of attention about this being the new affordable hybrid for everyone. It's only $2K less than a more advanced Prius that saves more gas money!

Bottom line: I'd just as soon get a Civic for less and still get 36 mpg.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 03-29-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Thanks for another great review!
You're welcome. Anytime.

I think it's MPG should be higher. The new midsize Fusion hybrid gets better city mileage (41)!! An the 2010 Prius will be what, 50?
I mentioned in the review that the Insight's was not the most impressive hybrid powertrain I've seen....for several reasons. Ford Hybrids have traditionally used Toyota-designed electric-drive systems under license (Toyota systems, in general, are more efficient than Honda systems).

That is because Honda has generally lagged Toyota in developing what are called "parallel" Hybrid systems that operate entirely on either gas or electric motors. The Honda units, known as "series" hybrids, tend to use the electric motor as a start-stop device for the gas engine, regenerative braking, and to give it some torque boost when needed.

Newer Honda IMA systems are somewhat more flexible (and have some "parallel" capability, but still lag those of Toyota somewhat in efficiency.

There's a lot of attention about this being the new affordable hybrid for everyone. It's only $2K less than a more advanced Prius that saves more gas money!
Actually, a Prius, with what most people want, runs mid-20s or more. For a while, when gas was over $4 a gallon, some Toyota dealerships were routinely charging several thousand dollars above even that.

There's more to a Prius-Insight comparison, however, than just gas mileage figures and sticker price. Both cars are extremely well-built and can expected to have much-better-than-average reliability, But, personally, I find the Insight to have a more user-friendly dash, better handling, and overall, more of a pleasure to drive, despite the Prius's somewhat better drivetrain. The Insight, despite the overly-plastic trim everywhere, also has, IMO, better interior hardware.

Bottom line: I'd just as soon get a Civic for less and still get 36 mpg.
You read the first part of my review, didn't you? That was my friend's reasoning as well. He went home, that evening, with a new Royal Blue Civic EX coupe.....for about the same money as the Insight.

(I inspected and test-drove his new Civic at the dealership for him, too, to make sure there were no problems with it, but I'm not going to take the time to write it up....I've already done a shortened, condensed review of the 2006 Civic EX, which was the same car....it hasn't changed much).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-09 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 07:10 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Nice review...I was just at a Honda dealer today to check out the Insight and Fit.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Fit, but the Insight is interesting too. Both cars have good driving positions and that Honda steering wheel is way too cool.
Old 03-29-09, 07:18 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand this "Swiss-Watch assembly quality" statement when you also say the car has "thin body sheet metal", "El Cheapo sun visors", "No padded armrests on the door panels", "Unpleasant, overly-hard-plastic interior dash, door panels, and trim". That sounds more like cost cutting assembly quality, a trait in most new Honda products.

I've read this "swiss-watch" descriptor before about the CRV, a product whose build quality is nowhere on par with the new VW Tiguan for instance. Are you speaking of the percieved reliability ratings of the Insight?

Last edited by FKL; 03-29-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 07:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review! I've driven the 2010 Prius and I'm still waiting for the Insight (it'll be launched in Canada on Apr 22).
Old 03-29-09, 07:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't understand this "Swiss-Watch assembly quality" statement when you also say the car has "thin body sheet metal", "El Cheapo sun visors", "No padded armrests on the door panels", "Unpleasant, overly-hard-plastic interior dash, door panels, and trim". That sounds more like cost cutting assembly quality, a trait in most new Honda products.

I've read this "swiss-watch" descriptor before about the CRV, a product whose build quality is nowhere on par with the new VW Tiguan for instance. Are you speaking of the percieved reliability ratings of the Insight?
I think he means that these Honda's are well constructed, which they are, even given the fact that cost cutting materials are being used. You can have precise assembly with hard plastics and bad assembly with expensive materials.

Bottom line, the cheaper materials used in Japanese cars will last longer and have less problems than the finer materials in a VW.
Old 03-29-09, 07:56 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Bottom line, the cheaper materials used in Japanese cars will last longer and have less problems than the finer materials in a VW.
Says who? Why is the color flaking away from the leather wrapped wheel on both of my Hondas? Why does the leather discolor and start showing wear after only a year of owning the car? How about the flaking weather stripping around the window on my Accord, due to cheap plastic being used? After a years of ownership, you start noticing how cost cutting "cuts" in. Bottom line, I don't think that's a reality.
Old 03-29-09, 08:28 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

The only interior part of my VW Passat that wore too quickly is the steering wheel leather. A small piece of door grab wood trim wasn't fitted well. Everything else is top-notch quality in terms of materials and fitment. The electronics and the engine, on the other hand... epic fail. That's why I drive a Lexus (current model ES) now.

The Insight's rear seat can be troublesome even for average-sized adults, but not so with the Fit. It passed my "sitting behind myself" test with almost 2 inches of knee room to spare, and I'm just over 6' tall. That is impressive for a subcompact. The Insight's cargo area is also severely limited by the sweeping roofline.

Have you guys seen the base wheels on the new 2010 Prius? I feel that it's a step backwards, although the cheesy wheel covers on the base Insight don't impress either.

Last edited by superchan7; 03-29-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 10:59 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Says who? Why is the color flaking away from the leather wrapped wheel on both of my Hondas? Why does the leather discolor and start showing wear after only a year of owning the car? How about the flaking weather stripping around the window on my Accord, due to cheap plastic being used? After a years of ownership, you start noticing how cost cutting "cuts" in. Bottom line, I don't think that's a reality.
I see peeling chrome door handles all the time on Hondas - even on older models. VW ain't hot stuff either - my friend's MKIV has flimsy plastics and the soft-touch paint is peeling off, while MKIIIs were about equal to Detroit in quality.

I drove the Insight at work over the weekend. I still say the Prius is the superior car.

Also mmmarshall - while the OEM tires will be filled with nitrogen at the factory, it will be vented out at the dealer during PDI - Honda's TPMS system goes into "sleep" above 30PSI. It wakes up when it detects a moderate pressure loss.

Last edited by nthach; 03-29-09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 04:16 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Mike, another outstanding review from you as always. I agree with a JLSC4 the Civic is still a better buy IMO. On a side note one thing I wish Honda would bring to the states is a Yaris 4 door sedan fighter a.k.a the Asian marketed Honda City.
Old 03-30-09, 05:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice review, but you should have tested the EX model....MSRP is only $1500 more and you get the aluminum wheels, full iPod integration, paddle shiftes (useless IMO), CRUISE CONTROL, 6 speakers audio system (versus 4), map lights, vanity mirrors, Heated side mirrors with Integrated Turn Indicators.

dull colors?? doesn't look so dull to me....

looking for one this color or ??

as far as MPG .....I think you'll see much better than the EPA ratings...much much higher than possible with the Civic...(altho armyof1 has reported 50mpg tops on the hiway with an EX)

here's 2008 Civic real world MPG numbers from fueleconomy.gov
Number of Vehicles: 31
Average User MPG: 34.4
Range: 29 - 45 MPG
Updated On: 03/23/2009

versus 2006 Prius...
Number of Vehicles: 130
Average User MPG: 47.8
Range: 37 - 60 MPG
Updated On: 03/23/2009

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-mileag...ise-25564.html

Excerpts from Road Tests
Edward Loh, Motor Trend - 63.7 MPG"The A/C is off, and I've got the windows sealed tight to maximize my aerodynamic efficiency. I don't think the radio reduces the output of my Honda Insight's IMA system, but I have it off just in case. All I can hear is the quiet hum of the tires as I try to keep my speedo green and the gas engine from firing up…I pull in, soaked and elated: My instantaneous average looks to be 63.7 mpg through this mostly city course. That's over 20 mpg higher than the 43 mpg those ninnies at the EPA got on the highway."

Sam Abuelsamid, Autobloggreen - 63.4 MPG"The [test drive] loop consisted of mostly stop and go driving over varied terrain (up and down hills) with speed limits ranging from 25-55 mph in and around Carefree, Arizona. I stuck to the speed limits and kept a light foot on the throttle and brake pedals. With the speedometer up above the steering wheel, the colored background [providing efficiency feedback] was easily visible in my peripheral vision. Glancing down to the main efficiency indicator graph helped to optimize my driving style. With all the feedback I was able to achieve 62.2 mpg over the 16-mile loop. A second attempt later in the afternoon yielded an even better 63.4 mpg."

Jerry Garrett, New York Times - 65 mpg"After failing to get exceptional mileage at the press introduction of the new Honda Insight, I was eager for a retrial. A few weeks later, I drove an Insight for another 1,000 miles with better results. My drive was broken into segments of 40 to 80 miles. Mileage on the early sections was similarly unimpressive. But one of the later segments, of 82 miles, yielded 65 mpg at an average speed of 65 mph."

Honda’s 60-MPG Surprise
Published February 17, 2009

When Honda announced that the new 2010 Honda Insight would “only” average about 41 or 42 mpg, some hybrid fans wondered what went wrong. Forget that Honda’s goal with the new five-door model is affordability, not maximum mileage. The major ding against hybrids has been extra cost, and Honda was aiming once and for all to prove that gas-electric technology could come with a modest price tag—in this case about $19,000.

Nonetheless the company’s revival of the “Insight” badge set an expectation that Honda would regain the mpg crown from the Toyota Prius. The first-generation Honda Insight—retired in 2006—was rated by the Environmental Protection Agency at 70 mpg on the highway (which translates to about 65 mpg in the EPA’s updated system). That’s a far cry from the Insight’s expected highway mileage around 43 mpg.

Just when expectations for the Honda Insight were being recalibrated… Surprise! The first set of real-world road tests of the 2010 Honda Insight are arriving, and they are consistently higher than 60 mpg. Auto journalists using a smidgen of care—a light foot on the accelerator, staying at legal speeds, and coasting when possible—are getting these remarkable results, with some help from the "econ" mode and the dashboard’s interactive color-coded feedback system.

The EPA official numbers on the window sticker may very well be around 40 mpg. But based on the experiences of the following journalists, just about any driver who wants to get 60+ on the highway in the 2010 Honda Insight will be able to.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-30-09 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
Nice review...
Thanks.

I was just at a Honda dealer today to check out the Insight and Fit.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Fit, but the Insight is interesting too. Both cars have good driving positions and that Honda steering wheel is way too cool.

The Fit, of course, is substantially cheaper out the door, and you can buy a lot of gasoline for the difference in price. But the Fit, IMO, is rather unpleasant inside, and lacks the tax credits and HOV priviledges that hybrids get.
Old 03-30-09, 06:24 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall - Thanks for sharing another excellent review.

From your review it looks like Honda delivered the car they promised us.

I do agree that this car will be a success for Honda. Although I think it will sell well, I also think it will help with cross shopping. I'm sure many potential Prius purchasers will now cross shop Honda (because of the Insight) that may not have (because of the Civic Hybrid) before. So maybe they'll buy an Insight, OR maybe, like your friend, they'll buy a Civic, OR maybe they will fall in luv with the fun to drive Fit. IMHO the point is they made it the dealership and that's a win in today’s competitive market.
Old 03-30-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL

Very simple. A vehicle can be assembled with laser-like precision, while AT THE SAME TIME using cost-cutting, lightweight, or inexpensive parts. As you note, some of the newer Hondas have become quite good at that. New Subaru Imprezas are another good example.

But both interior and exterior Honda hardware (switches, stalks, buttons, levers, etc... despite the use of a lot of plastic trim inside, are some of the best I've seen...especially in the CR-V. I disagree that the Tiguan has better build quality than the CR-V. Over the lifetime of the vehicle, the average CR-V is likely to need substantially fewer repairs than the average Tiguan.

So, in a nutshell, we're talking about two separate things (apples and oranges) in the Insight, and some other new Hondas.......unpleasant, hard-plastic trim, and excellent hardware. There is a difference.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Honda Insight