Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroit Muscle Smackdown: Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 07:24 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Muscle Smackdown: Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS vs. 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T vs. 2010 Ford Mustang GT
The Comparo We've Waited 35 Years to Write. And The Feud We've Waited 35 Years to Watch.

Thirty-five years ago, the word "Watergate" was being re-Webstered from meaning "a snazzy apartment building in Washington, D.C." to "a coverup investigation involving the White House, two reporters who don't look anything like Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman, and a guy named 'Deep Throat.'" The most popular show on TV was about a grump named Archie whose tattered easy chair would go on to occupy a place in the Smithsonian. Half of the current staff of Motor Trend hadn't even been born yet (yes, Angus, we're getting old). That year, 1974, would also mark the final moment for decades in which America's streets would be prowled by all three current-gen versions of the most iconic-ever ponycars: the Chevy Camaro, the Dodge Challenger, and the Ford Mustang.

Frankly, we thought we'd never see the tire smoke from the ponycar wars again.

Defying the oddsmakers, though, America's three trick ponies are back. And they're back big. Those days of yore are indeed long-gone -- but only because the new incarnations of the Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang are so far evolved from their famed predecessors they're recognizable almost by name only. Sure, the old cars looked cool and made lots of noise and got the girls, and some could even lay down a righteous longitudinal blast when the road arrowed straight. But none could match these current machines for blistering speed, cornering ability, braking power, driveability, reliability, and comfort. I mean, when I was 16, we didn't have fancy computers to make our cars run like winged chariots, and we didn't have in-car iPod adaptors (unless you count the Tijuana Brass on eight-track), and we sure didn't have...never mind. You whippersnappers today don't know how good you've got it.

What remains utterly unchanged, however, is a degree of nameplate loyalty and fan mania the likes of which might be matched by the current March Madness B-ball tourney. Or maybe not. After all, Camaro versus Mustang versus Challenger is deeply ingrained into the American psyche, the four-wheeled equivalent of the Hatfields versus the McCoys versus...uh, the HatCoys. Doesn't really matter which car we deem the best or what the numbers say -- the feuding factions will stand behind their favorites like a third-grader defending his mom against the schoolyard rabble. Might even be a few bloody noses thrown in if the hostilities escalate to the level of, "Yeah? Well, your Challenger's so fat..."

Hey, but we love a good debate (or at least starting one). So...we proudly present our exclusive, first-ever, side-by-side-by-side comparison of the new Chevrolet Camaro SS, the Dodge Challenger R/T, and the Ford Mustang GT. All the numbers, all our driving impressions...just one winner.

Let the flame-throwing begin...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt/index.html
Old 03-24-09, 09:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good road test, I agree with the conclusions too.
Old 03-24-09, 09:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good road test, I agree with the conclusions too.
I was surprised that even with a 100hp disadvantage and older architecture the Mustang still made a strong case for itself.
Old 03-24-09, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I was surprised that even with a 100hp disadvantage and older architecture the Mustang still made a strong case for itself.
Yes, but I was bit less surprised by this. A good sports coupe is a blend of performance attributes of which horsepower is one of several important qualities. But Ford has had several years to refine the current Mustang and obviously did a good job. These cars (especially the Camaro and Mustang) are becoming more than just good old "pony cars". The Challenger is just too "retro" and certainly oversized and overweight.
Old 03-24-09, 12:15 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

its kinda not fair comparing the top of the line camero to mid level mustang, and dodge, dont you think
Old 03-24-09, 12:51 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by biggie27
its kinda not fair comparing the top of the line camero to mid level mustang, and dodge, dont you think
The GT is the top line Mustang. The others are all special editions.
Old 03-24-09, 02:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 587 Likes on 406 Posts

The top level Dodge prices itself out of the competition too.
Old 03-24-09, 02:40 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

the shelby is a special edition........thats the first i heard of that, its sold by ford and is warrentied by ford.......I dont think its a special edition condsidering that its still in production even with the new model
Old 03-24-09, 02:49 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

370Z all the way, especially once it gets DI.
Old 03-24-09, 03:31 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by biggie27
the shelby is a special edition........thats the first i heard of that, its sold by ford and is warrentied by ford.......I dont think its a special edition condsidering that its still in production even with the new model

There's also the Cobra, the GT500 and the Bullit. They're all limited production, special editions of the Stang.
Old 03-24-09, 05:06 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, but I was bit less surprised by this. A good sports coupe is a blend of performance attributes of which horsepower is one of several important qualities. But Ford has had several years to refine the current Mustang and obviously did a good job. These cars (especially the Camaro and Mustang) are becoming more than just good old "pony cars". The Challenger is just too "retro" and certainly oversized and overweight.

Retro is the whole idea behind recreating these musclecars, if you don't think the new Mustang is retro as well look up the 1969 model.
Old 03-24-09, 05:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
Retro is the whole idea behind recreating these musclecars, if you don't think the new Mustang is retro as well look up the 1969 model.
Maybe so, but the Camaro and Mustang do it in a contemporary way with the correct size and lighter weight.

To compete you better have more than just retro going for you, because not everybody is old enough to even know what the old junky rattletraps looked like. Both the Camaro and Mustang can compete as sports coupes, not just pony cars.
Old 03-24-09, 05:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
370Z all the way, especially once it gets DI.
no imports will ever capture the magic most muscle cars have
Old 03-24-09, 05:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I can live without the magic IMHO, but I'm interested in very good cars. And these new breed Mustangs and Camaros are quite competitive.
Old 03-24-09, 10:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
there's really not much magic to it other than take a 1/2-ton truck V8 and put it in a so-so rwd chassis. Kinda like building a 560Z, IS570 or CTS SS but derived from a much less costly platform.

The 370Z's superior poise and balance are much more appealing to me and once the 370Z gets DI it'll give up little in terms of acceleration.

Quick Reply: Detroit Muscle Smackdown: Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger