Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro convertible and Z28 put on hold !!(Camaro Convertible reportedly back on...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 02:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Camaro convertible and Z28 put on hold !!(Camaro Convertible reportedly back on...)

It was reported by the newly formed Detroit Bureau that although the Chevrolet Camaro began production there are some glitches with plans for a future model that could result either in a significant delay or a cancellation of two of the highly-awaited Camaros.

The Camaro Convertible and the Z28 are both in danger as GM tightens its financial belt.TDB says that keeping the Convertible is a priority since the German supplier responsible for providing the convertible top is also in a financial fix. The General is trying to look for a replacement supplier but it will take no less than 6 months which means that the model will most probably miss out onthe prime selling seasons, spring and summer, for 2010. With regards to the Z28, the culprit is GM’s own costs with about $50 million while the model sits. So, what’s it going to be for the Z28? It can either reach markets with a prohibitive price tag or it can come with some kind of creative engineering, which is most unlikely, if it can even be saved at all. If these are all true, then you might as well just get another model.
Old 03-23-09, 02:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The crew at the freshly-minted Detroit Bureau is reporting that while the Chevrolet Camaro has started rolling off off production lines, there are some serious hitches with future model plans that could result in a substantial delay – or outright cancellation – of two hotly-anticipated models.

According to Paul Eisenstein (veteran auto journalist and founder of TheCarConnection), the Camaro convertible and Z28 are both in jeopardy. As the story goes, budget crunches for both General Motors and its suppliers could grenade products that were seen as foregone conclusions.

At the moment, TDB says that saving the droptop is the most pressing issue, as the German supplier responsible for the convertible top is having money problems. GM is seeking alternate suppliers, but that process is likely to take six months or more, meaning that the model will likely miss most of the 2010 convertible's prime selling seasons (Spring and Summer).

The high-performance Z28 is a different story, however, with GM's own costs reportedly being the culprit. TDB quotes Gene Stefanyshyn, the car's Vehicle Line Executive, as saying that as it sits, the model "would cost too much" – about $50 million. Thus, the Z28 could either come to market carrying a prohibitively expensive price tag or face some "creative engineering," and it's likely to do the latter – if it can be saved at all. For now, TDB is calling the Z28 "cancelled" with a potential resurrection still in the cards.

Assuming these revelations are true, Bowtie faithful, if you were planning on holding on to your purse-strings for a while longer, you may just want to get in line now for an RS or SS hardtop and consult the aftermarket. Us? We're going to hold out hope and drop a few dimes on our sources at The General just in case.
Old 03-23-09, 07:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, first things first....
Old 03-23-09, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,139 Likes on 1,386 Posts

please provide links to sources for quotes.
Old 03-23-09, 08:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the less models of the same car, the better.

Keep costs lower. Acura used to have 1 option on the TL + TSX

Why not wait & see if there's even a market for the Camaro before spending $$$$ to develop/build the vert.
Old 03-23-09, 08:58 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM shelves Camaro convertible, Z28

General Motors has delayed indefinitely the Chevrolet Camaro convertible and Z28 high-performance variant to save cash, sources say.

GM also has tabled plans to add a four-cylinder engine version of the Camaro. GM is starting to ship the Camaro to dealers this week.

Insiders say executives hope to restore the convertible to GM's product plan. GM originally had wanted to launch a convertible in 2010 and bring out the Z28 soon afterward.

"Neither one has been outright canceled," says Terry Rhadigan, a Chevrolet spokesman. Rhadigan said GM will seek to bring out the convertible in 2011.

The Z28 was to have challenged two rival performance muscle cars--the Shelby GT500 version of the Ford Mustang and Dodge's Challenger SRT8.

Plans for a four-cylinder engine for the Camaro lost appeal as gasoline prices dipped and the Camaro scored well on federal fuel-economy tests.

Last year, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said GM was considering the same four-cylinder engine for the Camaro that GM uses in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. The 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection engine is rated at 260 hp in those cars.

Gene Stefanyshyn, GM's vehicle line executive for performance cars, said cheaper gasoline played a role in shelving the smaller engine.

"We're looking at it. We don't have anything approved," Stefanyshyn said at a press event last week. "But with gas $1.78 a gallon, we have to weigh where we put our poker chips."

Another source familiar with GM product plans confirmed that the four-cylinder for the Camaro is dead for "the time being."

Not only have fuel prices leveled out, but GM surpassed its own estimated highway mileage rating of 27 mpg for the V6 Camaro. The EPA last week rated that vehicle at 29 mpg in highway driving.

The strong fuel-economy performance of the 3.6-liter, 304-hp V6 reduces the need to offer a four-cylinder engine, sources say.

GM also offers a 6.2-liter V8 in two versions, making 400 hp and 426 hp.

GM began building the Camaro, which starts at $22,995, including shipping, on March 16. GM estimates that it will take until May or June to fill the 14,000 sold orders in hand.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/903239993
Old 03-23-09, 09:09 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I've said before, this project was doomed for failure upon day 1. It will be interesting to see if they can pull of a miracle.
Old 03-23-09, 04:16 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only they came out with the Camaro two years ago as planned, things would be much diffirent. Come on GM you can't let the mustang win without a serious challange.
Old 03-23-09, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will admit I thik that the shots of the convertible Camaro looked amazing. Its just to late. Even with lower gas prices , there are so many people out of work
Old 03-24-09, 10:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Chevrolet Camaro convertible reportedly back on, albeit running late ...

Mar 24th, 2009
Chevrolet Camaro convertible reportedly back on, albeit running late

The on again, off again roller coaster ride that is General Motors' product development schedule once again apparently has a green light; the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro convertible. The drop-top Camaro is once again scheduled for a 2011 grand entrance, one year after the first Bowtie pony cars begin rolling off the line in Oshawa. Motor Trend reported back in November that the convertible Camaro was in trouble due to GM's cash crunch, and last week we learned from The Detroit Bureau that financial problems at a German supplier for the car's roof was threating the model's timetable. For its part, General Motors insists that the topless Camaro has always been scheduled for one year after the coupe began production, but now Motor Trend is now saying that the Camaro Convertible will probably not arrive until the first quarter of 2011 (likely as a 2012 model).

With a reported 14,000 pre-orders already on the books for the fixed-roof Camaro, GM is looking at some much needed good news in the short term. To better compete with Ford's Mustang and Dodge's Challenger, though, the General will need to make good on a ragtop variant (and perhaps a Z28, although that looks unlikely to happen). If MT's reports are accurate, the gap between coupe and convertible models is likely to be well over a year, which will be a tough pill for sunlovers to swallow. However, if the production model looks as good as the concept shown above, the Camaro could have all the inertia it needs when the top comes down.
Source
Old 03-24-09, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

This Camaro convertible issue is starting to look like the Acura NSX stories...up one day, down the next.

OK, folks...what will it be tomorrow? Time to spin.

Old 03-24-09, 11:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. I saw an article today in a magazine saying the same thing about the NSX, but that it was finally dead. Seems like a lot of production time, talent, and money to waste
Old 03-24-09, 11:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,139 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
please provide links to sources for quotes.
I8AMBR - did you not see my post above?

please edit your original post and put in links to the sources.