Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

rich kids in high school

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 02:04 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Whenever I see a high school kid driving a really nice car I wonder what they have to aspire to in the future. Maybe they have family money or will end up with a great paying job and will always be able to drive a high end car, but I know of a few people who ended up in a lot of debt trying to keep up the lifestyle they got used to when mom and dad were footing the bill.
+1...well said. This generation is in trouble because their parents spoiled them and made it seem like life is easy. I love my uncle; he's a radiologist. but his two daughters, even though they finished college and one is even a lawyer, they still can't survive without his handouts.

I've worked since I was 15 and I never asked my parents for money. Sure, when they offered, i would take it, but with time it became a source of pride that everything that is mine is really mine. Now, I'm a pharmacist and i have my parents to thank for teaching me the value of hard work and perseverance.
Old 03-08-09, 02:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Cali - spoiled.

Rest of the country - riding whatever they are given.
Old 03-08-09, 02:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever was new at the time... so that'll be the S2000, WRX, S4, TT, C-Class etc etc. Those were the older kids. When I came and went, those after me were driving 10 year old cars so you can see the generation difference here.

Then you hit university and realise what those kids upgraded to <sigh>. Spoiled brats.
Old 03-08-09, 03:18 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty funny how everyone who has a nice car at a young age is deemed a spoiled brat, sounds like a lot of jealousy to me.

I went to a very small high school in the Midwest, the nicest car was worth maybe 15k.
Old 03-08-09, 03:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^Maybe jealousy, but everyone here has a decent car now, so whats the point. If anything people , and they have the right to be, dislike how many young kids nowadays don't appreciate what their parents give to them and in the long wrong, their lives will be harder then if they worked for the things they have
Old 03-08-09, 03:54 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

well i got lucky. but since i won the money for my car, i am now realizing the hard work it takes to maintain it. espiecially the paying for gas. i havent had a full tank since november. ive been using 5's that ive earned to pay for my gas when i need it. i havent been able to get a job because of SAT's but now i can and its starting to get easier little by little.
Old 03-08-09, 03:56 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tsavo
Pretty funny how everyone who has a nice car at a young age is deemed a spoiled brat, sounds like a lot of jealousy to me.

I went to a very small high school in the Midwest, the nicest car was worth maybe 15k.
I didn't mean for my post to sound like a blanket statement. I'm sure there are kids in high school that work after school and full time during the summer to pay for their cars. I have all the respect in the world for those kids. I highly doubt these are the kids that are driving new M3s and 911s though.
Old 03-08-09, 04:03 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

the nicest car i would say was my buddy's 1993ish bmw5.. there probably were some cars worth more (like a new mazda3) but that's about it.. nothing fancy
the cali guys just put the rest to shame
i don't know if that's good though.. it would be like any car you get, you'd always be overshadowed by a more expensive one
Old 03-08-09, 04:05 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't the title be high school children with rich parents? haha
Old 03-08-09, 04:13 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

back in the days in mid 90's rich kids in my hhigh school were driving supras and corvettes. i think there were some 3 series, and lexus, but nothing really stood out like loaded supras.

anyway when i was attending Michigan, I saw few ferrari's driven by rich arab and indians. rest is nothing really special. m3's, m5's, S class, any porsche and etc.
Old 03-08-09, 04:24 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

i actually had the nicest car at me school (1 year ago)

and nope im not rich. just middle class here
Old 03-08-09, 04:38 PM
tp290
Driver School Candidate

Back in the days when I was in high school, only the ballers and og ride in eclipse, integra, and prelude. Poor me was in a honda crx.
Old 03-08-09, 09:23 PM
Emontes7
Driver

did high school in a suburb of columbus ohio and NYC. nicest car in ohio was a hummer and one asian girl whos family owned many nail salon got picked up and droped of in a yellow lambo,but most kids hade wack american cars like chevy cavaliers. In NYC i had a 98 red 2dr integra.no parking space in nyc schools and everybody took the train or bus
Old 03-09-09, 07:51 AM
legit
Pole Position

Heh, my school was mostly the average cars (a couple of G35s, an evo, lots of Civics, corollas). However, there was this one kid (his father was a fairly rich Russian lawyer...and I mean rich rich)....he drove a Hummer mostly everyday to school but would alternate between a SL550, G55 AMG, and his father would sometimes drop him off in a S63.
Old 03-09-09, 08:47 AM
djestouff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whoster
there's this dude at UCSD with a 997 Turbo. with matching black volk rims with the whole differently painted lip thing going.

(i'm not a fan of his rims)
also at UCSD, i've seen undergrads rolling in a brand new M5, and a girl driving a cayenne turbo gts. Not quite as baller, but theres also a flatblack is350 rolling around sometimes.

Quick Reply: rich kids in high school