Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X5M revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 12:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol yeah join the group

or just get the sl63!
but mb's don't give you the free oil change.............oh well, there's jiffy lube
Old 03-19-09, 03:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New winter testing vid of the 550 hp beasts

These all weather M cars are almost here.. Vid of them in action in the snow.. 550hp 0-60 under 5 seconds..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnoU...layer_embedded
Old 03-19-09, 05:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
These all weather M cars are almost here.. Vid of them in action in the snow.. 550hp 0-60 under 5 seconds..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnoU...layer_embedded
At one point the guy said, roughly translated, "I got a chubby driving it in the snow"

If it ONLY had a mediocre 3rd row, I'd delay the Tahoe and get this... well, if it wasn't $90K also....
Old 03-19-09, 06:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
At one point the guy said, roughly translated, "I got a chubby driving it in the snow"

If it ONLY had a mediocre 3rd row, I'd delay the Tahoe and get this... well, if it wasn't $90K also....
Like all X5's it will have a 3rd row seat..

Old 03-19-09, 06:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Like all X5's it will have a 3rd row seat..

Yeah, I know, but it's "kinda" a 3rd row... besides I'm getting the Tahoe for about 1/2 the price... even if money was no oject, that's hard to pass up...
Old 03-19-09, 10:05 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how safe can those be if you get hit from the rear end?? Theres almost no crumple zone....

Unless you need the third row seating and the ground clearance...oh wait, BMWNA doesnt offer the M5 avant.
Old 03-19-09, 10:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Its cool to see another performance SUV that will probably never see any real performance driving because ........uh.....oh yeah, because it weighs almost 3 tons and seats 7
Old 03-20-09, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X5 should be advertised as 2.5 rows. The "3rd" row is suitable for midgets and hobbits only. The Tahoe has a usable third row and is better for family hauling.
Old 03-20-09, 08:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
X5 should be advertised as 2.5 rows. The "3rd" row is suitable for midgets and hobbits only. The Tahoe has a usable third row and is better for family hauling.
Now I know you & a few others have never been inside or driven an E70 X5..
Old 03-20-09, 10:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I know you & a few others have never been inside or driven an E70 X5..
I was in one yesterday buddy (auto show)! The back seat is practically worthless for anyone over 10 years of age

BMW can't really be faulted for this as it's the same in many of the competing utes with 3rd rows being all the madness.
Old 03-20-09, 10:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This vehicle will meet or exceed the performance capabilities of many sport vehicles including those already under the BMW umbrella. I posted vids of what its brother X6 (in non M garb) can do on the track against a Mercedes CLS500. This ain't your momma's "suv" gentlemen.. Pointless it is not.. This is an M vehicle
I'm sure you understand why they are calling it pointless. I take it you just disagree. I also think it's pointless. Then again, I think many vehicles are pointless. Instead of the auto industry spending millions to give cars 500+ hp, let's make the most advanced cars possible. The auto industry is stuck in a rut. It's just inconceivable to me that with all our technological prowess, we aren't driving cars that are completely automated with voice command....at the very least. I beliee we really should be in flying or hovering cars by now. Instead, the industry just recycles itself. There was a power war many years ago. We outgrew it. Now it's back again.
We once had curvacious cars. Then they went to edgy. Now they are becoming curvacious again. It's no wonder they are in trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I like power too....but some cars are unnecessarily pumped with power that will never be used. It just wastes resources to have it. The new ZR1 for example. It's sweet but sooo uneccessary. The Z06 power was more than enough. Now we have a 100K Vette that can go a little faster than the Z06. At least someone who buys one might take it to a track but I doubt anyone who has a C63 will. It just seems overkill to me. I'm one of those guys that is happy with 250-400 hp. ANything over that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 03-20-09, 11:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm sure you understand why they are calling it pointless. I take it you just disagree. I also think it's pointless. Then again, I think many vehicles are pointless. Instead of the auto industry spending millions to give cars 500+ hp, let's make the most advanced cars possible. The auto industry is stuck in a rut. It's just inconceivable to me that with all our technological prowess, we aren't driving cars that are completely automated with voice command....at the very least. I beliee we really should be in flying or hovering cars by now. Instead, the industry just recycles itself. There was a power war many years ago. We outgrew it. Now it's back again.
We once had curvacious cars. Then they went to edgy. Now they are becoming curvacious again. It's no wonder they are in trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I like power too....but some cars are unnecessarily pumped with power that will never be used. It just wastes resources to have it. The new ZR1 for example. It's sweet but sooo uneccessary. The Z06 power was more than enough. Now we have a 100K Vette that can go a little faster than the Z06. At least someone who buys one might take it to a track but I doubt anyone who has a C63 will. It just seems overkill to me. I'm one of those guys that is happy with 250-400 hp. ANything over that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
You sound a bit....conservative Reggie. Is an HS250 in your future? There are some of us who are not as conservative & crave power, excitement, uniqueness to the 5th power. I'm an auto/driving enthusiast and i want as much as I can get.. Call me brash, liberal, wild etc. but I like a vehicle with some *****.
Old 03-20-09, 11:38 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I think it costs too much to invent and develop new technology. So, in the meantime, they just take what they got and add a few (hundred) hp.
Old 03-21-09, 05:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You sound a bit....conservative Reggie. Is an HS250 in your future? There are some of us who are not as conservative & crave power, excitement, uniqueness to the 5th power. I'm an auto/driving enthusiast and i want as much as I can get.. Call me brash, liberal, wild etc. but I like a vehicle with some *****.
I consider myself a balanced person...at least I strive to be. SOme things I come off as conservative ( I hate profanity).
I like power too. I just think there is too much overkill right now. I see these little old guys driving around in AMG Benzes driving like turds. They could have bought the base model but some dealer told them this was the best. If we lived near the Autobahn, that would be different...but in the US of A we drive 65 mph. Some good power is needed for those of us that like to have some fun. But anything over 400 doesn't seem necessary. Handling is more important to having fun driving. The exotics....that's okay. You pay a premium and you get your goodies. Almost every brand has a high hp car. That's great but I would sure like to see someone develop more tech instead of recycling the old hp war.

This X5-M is just another example of illogical waste. A big, heavy and tall vehicle with big hp? The amount of fuel used to go as fast as a sporty car is a waste if energy. SUV's have a certain purpose. Now that purpose is being blurred so that some guy with a family can feel sporty in his utility vehicle. Certainly no law against it but it just seems silly imo.
Old 03-21-09, 06:44 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
I consider myself a balanced person...at least I strive to be. SOme things I come off as conservative ( I hate profanity).
I like power too. I just think there is too much overkill right now. I see these little old guys driving around in AMG Benzes driving like turds. They could have bought the base model but some dealer told them this was the best. If we lived near the Autobahn, that would be different...but in the US of A we drive 65 mph. Some good power is needed for those of us that like to have some fun. But anything over 400 doesn't seem necessary. Handling is more important to having fun driving. The exotics....that's okay. You pay a premium and you get your goodies. Almost every brand has a high hp car. That's great but I would sure like to see someone develop more tech instead of recycling the old hp war.

This X5-M is just another example of illogical waste. A big, heavy and tall vehicle with big hp? The amount of fuel used to go as fast as a sporty car is a waste if energy. SUV's have a certain purpose. Now that purpose is being blurred so that some guy with a family can feel sporty in his utility vehicle. Certainly no law against it but it just seems silly imo.
I see this all the time in Orange County. I love it. I know that, in a few years time, they'll be upgrading to the new hot car with 1000 hp, and I'll be buying their previous, babied vehicle with minimal miles for about 1/4 the price they paid.

Ice350 is right. All of these super high powered brutes are a waste. Just look at the typical life of one of these SUV's - chauffeuring kids back and forth, 99% on road use, etc. They never get used to their potential. At most, they'll see the occasional romp from 40-120 mph. Big deal.

But I'd still like to have one of those ML63's around, just for the occasional romp.

Quick Reply: BMW X5M revealed!