Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Allow me to defend the current-generation Corolla. It is NOT the "will-be-the-death-of-Toyota" car that Internet car reviewers would have you believe.

I made the conscious decision a year ago to trade DOWN from a 2007 Camry LE to a 2010 Corolla LE (note that the Canadian-trimmed Corolla LE is roughly equivalent to the American-trimmed Corolla XLE). I made the decision for 2 main reasons:

1. The Camry was starting to feel too big. With its high beltline and low seating position, it made it difficult (especially for my wife, who is much shorter) to judge the edges of the car, making it seem like a much larger car than it is; and with its heavy steering and initial throttle tip-in hesitation, it drove like a larger and much heavier car. (I really do not like the high-beltline styling of the new Hyundais and Kias. In addition to making it harder to judge the edges of the car, it makes it feel very claustrophobic in the back seat, especially for small children.)

2. With the job situation still uncertain, I wanted a car with lower operating costs.

I expected to be getting much less car -- trading DOWN -- when I got the Corolla, expecting that I would be giving up a Toyota ES for an econobox. While it is obvious that the Corolla was built to a certain price-point, it did surprise me in other ways. Whereas the Camry LE felt like it was built DOWN from a more luxurious car, the Corolla LE felt like it had been built UP from a basic car. It does only have a 4-speed automatic transmission, a torsion-beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes, but...

1. It is a very quiet car. I was surprised to see that Toyota puts a sound-insulation pad under the trunk-lid of the Corolla but Honda does NOT have one inside the Accord's trunk-lid.

2. It has an amazingly refined engine that is so smooth and quiet at idle and cruising that you would barely know it is on. It is also not slow, with more than enough power to get out of its own way. It is also (like all current Toyota engines) very efficient. Even without the latest engine technology like Valvematic and direct injection, it is still very competitive. Just think what a 6-speed automatic transmission or CVT could do!

3. It has a very good ride for an inexpensive compact car; I expected something flinty and choppy but got a nice balance of larger-car ride AND more than enough handling prowess to get out of its own way.

4. It also looks quite good, in my opinion. I believe that the current-generation Camry, Yaris and Corolla look very good, with good proportions and classic looks that will not age quickly. Like the Japanese (as a culture and a people), and Toyota (as a corporation), the styling of Toyotas is very subtle. It takes time to appreciate the detailing of current Toyotas (and Lexus models); creases are not knock-you-over-the-head obvious but are very subtle that show up only under the right lighting conditions. This shows great attention to detail on the part of the designers.
I have to agree with much of what you say here (though not all). The Corolla is an almost ideal commuter-car if you want to save money and gas, with reliability to boot. Many reviews have panned on its interior, but I disagree......I like the simple, no-nonsense dash with easy-to-use controls, not having to screw around with a bunch of electronic high-tech buttons/videos. The only flies in the ointment on the Corollas I've driven/reviewed are a somewhat outdated and inefficient 4-speed automatic, loosely-attached/wobbly cheap-looking black climate-control *****, and excessively spongy Push-And-Pray brakes. I haven't driven a 2011 model, but I understand that the Mush-O-Matic brakes are somewhat improved now.
Old 07-04-11, 06:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
What touches? The outdated 4 speed automatic? Horribly outdated interior?

I like Toyota as much as the next guy, but really? The competition has surpassed Toyota in this segment. The Cruze has a great 1.4T, 6 speed manual, etc. Focus has a dual clutch transmission, Sync, Park assist, plus other toys. The Elantra has direct injection and matches the rest in content (even has rear heated seats.) They all ride better, steer better, are more comfortable, better built...

Judging by current sales numbers, the buying public agree with me. It's basically right at the back of the pack with the POS new Civic (no idea how Honda was able to mess that up)
Read the post by Sulu. What touches? Touches such as an under-trunk insulation pad, which Sulu points out even cars like the Honda Accord do not have. Touches like a very comfortable ride even over rough roads, which competitors like the Elantra don't have. I would suggest actually driving the cars and reading reviews before saying things like "they all ride better" with the competition. "Better built" remains to be seen, as that is a something you can only tell after years and lots of miles on the car. The Elantra as I pointed out does not ride better, particularly over rough roads or highway expansion joints. The new Civic has, in Honda tradition, undersized brakes that quickly fade and do not inspire confidence, as well as lack of torque.

You already criticized Toyota/Lexus sales in another thread, ignoring the fact that Toyota is still supply limited. That includes the Corolla; it is still supply limited. The Civic, too is supply limited. As disappointing of a redesign as it is, Civic sales will go up, just like Corolla sales will go up.

However, I will say this, if I did have to buy one car and keep it for the rest of my life, I would get a Corolla. It is so old and outdated, it is bound to be completely bulletproof.
You just contradicted yourself and answered your own question. Many people buy the Corolla because it offers piece of mind. It is known and proven to be reliable (along with the Civic for the most part). Much of the new competition is not proven, that is the big difference.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you can talk about features and innovation all you want.

It's just funny when a massive company with huge resources, like toyota, turns around and copies Hyundai..... if what Integress said is true.
When and if Hyundai matches Toyota, we'll talk. When the new Corolla comes out, we'll talk. I highly doubt it looks like a Hyundai. If it does copy Hyundai's styling, I will be right there with you bashing Toyota.
Old 07-04-11, 08:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with much of what you say here (though not all). The Corolla is an almost ideal commuter-car if you want to save money and gas, with reliability to boot.
Like any car, this generation of Corolla has its own peculiar quirks and subtleties. One test drive (even a week that most car reviewers get) is not enough, I believe, to appreciate the car (or any other Toyota, for that matter).

Many reviews have panned on its interior, but I disagree......I like the simple, no-nonsense dash with easy-to-use controls, not having to screw around with a bunch of electronic high-tech buttons/videos.
The simple set of controls is what I like about Toyotas.

The only flies in the ointment on the Corollas I've driven/reviewed are a somewhat outdated and inefficient 4-speed automatic...
I am not happy with the 4-speed automatic transmission, especially when I know that Corollas sold elsewhere offer better automatic transmissions.

...loosely-attached/wobbly cheap-looking black climate-control *****...
This is one of the examples of "built up from a base car" (Corolla) rather than "built down from a luxury car" (Camry) that I talked about. The climate-control ***** on my Camry LE were so much better and so much more refined; I could fine-tune the temperature or turn it quickly (coarse control) equally well. Because the temperature **** detents are not well defined on the Corolla, I find it difficult to fine-tune the temperature.

...and excessively spongy Push-And-Pray brakes. I haven't driven a 2011 model, but I understand that the Mush-O-Matic brakes are somewhat improved now.
The brakes and the electric power-assisted steering are 2 items I am not happy with (but have grown somewhat used to by now). The Corolla does have good brakes; it is just the brake pedal feel that is bad, although I have had worse-feeling brakes on earlier-model Camrys. Mushy brake pedal feel was a common Toyota problem, especially on earlier models. I had thought that Toyota had fixed this problem, only to see it re-appear on this Corolla.

I had a problem with the over-assisted steering (especially at highway speeds) when I first got the car, but now that I have gotten used to it (and not holding the wheel as tightly), it does not present a problem.
Old 07-05-11, 09:21 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
It is a very quiet car. I was surprised to see that Toyota puts a sound-insulation pad under the trunk-lid of the Corolla but Honda does NOT have one inside the Accord's trunk-lid.
Really?

Old 07-05-11, 10:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It depends on the model. Not all Accords have it.
Old 07-05-11, 10:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you can talk about features and innovation all you want.

It's just funny when a massive company with huge resources, like toyota, turns around and copies Hyundai..... if what Integress said is true.
Hyundai/KIA are huge, i think they are 4th biggest now and moving up fast.

That being said, most of their designs are copies of parts of other vehicles. I dont think they have car that is actually their design, so how can anyone copy them?
Old 07-05-11, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

but in any case, if Toyota continues this 2 year delay to US market, who knows when will you get new Corolla.

In Japan it came out late 2006... which means redesign is coming next year for sure.
Old 07-05-11, 10:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

That being said, most of their designs are copies of parts of other vehicles. I dont think they have car that is actually their design, so how can anyone copy them?

i would say the Elantra is entirely theirs.
Old 07-05-11, 11:02 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm it doesn't. A family member with an 09 LX came up for the long weekend. It doesn't have the pad.
My brother's 08 Accord coupe doesn't have one either. I found out a week ago when I popped open his trunk. Was kinda surprised about that....I thought he removed it or something, but I asked him and he said he never touched anything.
Old 07-05-11, 12:18 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Not entirely correct, early designs (pony, excel, etc) were mostly licenced (from fiat, but could be wrong). The newer designs are Hyundai, for the most part. What seems to be lacking, is that there is no inovation. All their designs seems to be putting together components of other innovators into an assembly ready package with some sheet metal skin wrapped around it. To make matters worse, even the sheet metal skin has visual cues from their competitors.
Old 07-05-11, 01:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It depends on the model. Not all Accords have it.
apparently only v6 accords have it.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16236
Old 07-05-11, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

funny we've got such a huge thread about such a cheap boring car, but i guess it's important given the huge numbers they sell.
Old 07-05-11, 04:28 PM
LexFather

I don't think Toyota has its head up its butt anymore like Honda still has it. I was stunned at how bad the new Civic is with the competition currently out. Toyota I assume will not make the same mistake. If the new Yaris is any indication I think it might be great for its job.

A lot of people don't want fishy/melted soap styling. A lot of people just want a reliable, cheap, reliable transport. This is clearly evidenced by the craptastic Jetta, it is selling like no Jetta before it even as its worse, de contented and worst in class. Its cheap and looks safe.

Old 07-05-11, 04:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is clearly evidenced by the craptastic Jetta, it is selling like no Jetta before it even as its worse, de contented and worst in class. Its cheap and looks safe.
volkswagon means "people's car" and people want cheap, safe, and boring.
Old 07-05-11, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
volkswagon means "people's car" and people want cheap, safe, and boring.
I never understood why Pierch demanded they drop that strategy to go against Benz and other luxury marques. I agree, they are a peoples car and seem to be great at it.

Quick Reply: Next Generation Corolla