Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Corolla

Old 01-26-09, 02:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trick is to make it feel more expensive. Remember this car competes with golfs in other countries, and at the current level, it feels cheaper.
Old 01-26-09, 03:14 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Wonderful, thanks for the input so far-- and thanks MPLexus301 for throwing in your age-- That helps me know what generation I'm getting input from

Essentially, Toyota is realizing that their core customer base are baby boomers and we need to appeal more to younger (generation Y) customers. Scion is doing a decent job in that, however, Toyota wants to make cars like the Corolla also more appealing to younger age groups, perhaps the non-tuner gen Y group.

Please keep the feedback coming-- I will be working with Calty on the Corolla and any idea and suggestions that I can bring to the table will be extremely helpful!
I currently own an 09 XRS, but because I got a great deal on it...it looks like a Camry SE, which isn't a bad thing but it isn't distinct and won't surprise many people since there's many Corollas here in California. The design isn't ugly, but doesn't brake ground.

The interior isn't bad, but the plastic used doesn't compare to Toyotas of the past. It also has some squeaks and rattles which are uncharacteristic. The dash looks like it could be scratched easily. Overall it does look good, and the features are pretty neat on the newest car. Love the JBL/XM/Bluetooth. But they need to pay attention to the material used.

I would suggest posting this on the 10th gen Corolla forums here:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=149

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 01-26-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 06:28 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

IntegresS
I prefer the Corolla interior over the others pictured. The heat A/C control should be digital not the blue white red line. that just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Otherwise the car is nice looking.
Old 01-26-09, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Hey guys-

I’m currently working on a project for the next generation Corolla—now, I know this is a Lexus forum and not a lot of people here would be in the market for a Corolla anyway, but I’d still like to hear your opinions (Especially those of Generation Y)

Please do not include the performance aspect of the vehicle for this feedback; Only focus on exterior and interior design.

What do you like or dislike about the design of the current corolla? Please be as brutally honest as possible!!!

Some common adjectives that come to mind with the corolla are boring, bland, forgettable. Any additions?

*Please keep in mind that this vehicle starts at just under $16,000

Hide your kids

The exterior has the proportions of a flacid *****. Its ridiculous they continued the same too thin/too tall look of the last model. I always think they will tip over. (the infiniti M35/45 has this same too thin/tall problem). The new Corolla looks like the old Corolla. Then they decide to throw an IS lower bumper on it. WTF? Are the people that design it asleep? Does it HAVE to look so sedate?

The last Mazda 3 showed you can make a classy, very proportionate, aggresive, more expensive looking car that is a small entry level car.

The Corolla sells b/c its a Corolla. Whats amazing is VW made their Jetta look like it. Since I am now dating one woman the last thing I need is to see ugly Corollas and now Jettas surrounding my car in the parking lot. They have the style of a camel kneecap. My life is a lot less exciting, I need to see good looking cars. Otherwise, my life will be about going to Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond on Saturdays and "I don't know if there will be enough time" to have so much fun. I don't want to see a bunch of beige/silver turds around. We have Honda for that.

As for the interior its nice as the last gen. Looks and feels solid. Seems to be in a higher class car. Very well done, nice size gauges and *****.

Back to the exterior. The add on "S" sport bodykit looks like something we put on in the 1980s. like a fake "ferrari" kit. How the hell can they make it look so added on? Its the only car I can think of that comes with a slight drop, bigger wheels and a bodykit and it still looks like amateur crap. I asked my crap to take a look at the Corolla and my crap said "that looks like crap".

I am 31 for your data and have the automobile knowledge equivalent of Zeus as a god. I've never owned a Toyota only Lexus. I've recommended them. Lexus coming from Toyota is a positive trait for me. I just helped my first cousin get a new Camry SE. That looks pretty decent. I am sure the design team is being told "we can't be too risky b/c we sell 50 trillion of these" but someone needs to kick the staid management in the nuts and say "we can do better, we can make a good looking small sedan". Tell your team or whomever makes the decisions DO NOT rest on your laurels b/c the competition is getting thicker and better. Set your own standard, don't play at the level others are playing at (ever watch a great pro team play a sorry *** team and the great team plays sorry and barely wins?)

DO NOT make the Corolla look like a Lexus. I will hunt you. I will buy a Corolla for the complete sake of shoving it up your design teams butt. We like the 2 brands looking seperate. Lexus already gets made fun of for being "toyotas". The gotdamn HS 250 design didn't help the cause.

I'm still puzzled how the last Mazda 3 can be the ONLY small sedan that doesn't look like an Asimo turd (CIvic) a bland toaster (cobalt) or a flacid ***** (Corolla). Nothing could be as bad as a Peugot.

There is your brutal honesty, good day MAAM. (edit )

Or just rebadge a MAzda3 a Corolla. The current Lancer is pretty decent too. Check out the Euro company "Seat" for decent design.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-27-09 at 02:34 PM.

Old 01-26-09, 07:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
They really need more cutting edge engines in the car. I am disappointed with the 1.8L 4AT combo. In 2009 that is virtually unacceptable. 132hp would be decent with a 5 or 6AT and they need an option with 200hp, not 158. The next car needs a 6AT/6MT at least.

Additionally, the XRS looks good but they could have done a bit more to the BODY of the car to make it visually appealing, not rely on 17" wheels and body cladding to add flair. Make the actual BODY look good.

All in all I would just say something that is more interesting. The engines are blah, the interior is nice but blah, and the exterior looks like a warmed up version of the last generation. Additionally, little things like rear disc brakes and projector headlights do make a difference to some people. The Corolla is just not as polished or compelling of a package as the Mazda 3 and some other competitors.

I am 21, for what that's worth.
I'd have to disagree with your comment on the engine. This 1.8 is among the most durable, reliable, and most fuel efficient out there (for any class).
Three very important qualities. It's not suppose to be much more powerful as the main objective is fuel economy.

Originally Posted by FKL
The car needs to have better build quality, enough said. It feels like a $16,000 car. The golf kills it in this respect.
The Corolla is built much better than the Golf. Drive both for 250,000 miles and see what happens (although the Golf probably wouldn't even make it). And why should a $16K car feel like more than a $16K car?

Anyway, to the OP, I like the Corolla but yeah, it's a bit conservative. It depends what you're looking for though. Personally, I love the Civic in this segment and would choose that. Or, wait for the 2010 Mazda 3. It looks like a game changer, again.

I am 30.
Old 01-26-09, 07:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Here are my sincere suggestions, and I am a male in his early 20s:

- Differentiate the exterior styling from Lexus models (and vice-versa). Fact is quite a few new Toyota models have exterior styling cues that are too close to Lexus styling cues. L-Finesse for Lexus was supposed to more greatly differentiate Lexus vehicles from Toyota vehicles, but in terms of exterior I haven't seen that. The Corolla specifically has a few styling cues that are too close to those seen on Lexus models. I know this is probably too much too ask, but the Corolla needs to be more differentiated from Lexus models and needs to look more aggressive and sporty without looking tacky and while still fitting into the Toyota lineup. Asking this much would require most other Toyota and Lexus models to look different as well.

- Related to the first point, get rid of the "tacked on" body bits and body kit pieces on some of the Corolla variants. It makes the car look cheap. Better to spend that money designing different wheels or designing different lights for the sportier Corolla models. Alternatively, spend the money on a more unique and sporty body design. This point also applies to other Toyota models with "tacked on" body pieces. The Lexus HS250 having tacked on body pieces is absolutely embarassing. Toyota should be ashamed for that.

- Add more performance to the XRS model. Don't stick in merely adequate engines. Give the XRS double wishbone rear suspension. Give the XRS a 6-speed auto and optional 6-speed manual. Give it an engine with close to 200HP. Make sure the suspension can handle the car's power. Ideally the best thing would be for all Corolla models to have double wishbone rear suspensions, but that is probably too much to ask.

- Improve the interior. That of course would also mean that all other Toyota and Lexus models would need improved interiors, which is a lot to ask.

- Add more standard features. Once again, like the previous point this would require other Toyota models to have increased standard features, and it would require Lexus models to have a further increase in features in order for them to stay differentiated from Toyota models. Point is what constitutes luxury and what consitutes mainstream continually changes. HID lights are no longer luxury items, they're now mainstream for example. Toyota needs to realize this. Toyota also needs to continually bring out new and innovate luxury features for Lexus models to differentiate them from Toyota models, to allow for more mainstream features to filter down to Toyota models, and to stay competitive. If needed, perhaps offer another Corolla trim with higher-end features and options. The price would still need to stay reasonable, especially compared to the competition.

With all this in mind, the qualities that the Corolla are known for must remain. Quality, reliability, class-leading fuel economy, refinement and low cost maintenance must all remain hallmarks of the Corolla.

I had a few other thoughts, but I think that is it for now. I understand some of these points are seemingly contradictory but I know that Toyota as a company always challenges itself and strives to reach new goals and achievements, and I'm sure at least some of the things I mentioned are certainly achievable.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I feel like this generation of Corolla should have been a lot better than what we got...especially with all of the rumors of Toyota going back to the drawing board upon seeing the new Civic and thinking the Corolla was too bland. If the current car is their second attempt, I am scared to think of what the first one looked like.
There was never any substance to these rumors. It takes years for a redesign to happen, so it is simply not true. The Corolla we see now was planned years ago from the beginning. Toyota never went back to the drawing board. The Corolla was released on-schedule in overseas markets. The only reason the Corolla release was delayed in North America was to make sure quality on the new model was solid.

Originally Posted by FKL
The trick is to make it feel more expensive. Remember this car competes with golfs in other countries, and at the current level, it feels cheaper.
Uh, in other countries, the Corolla has a higher-quality interior with better plastics and switchgear.

The interior of the European Corolla is higher quality and feels more expensive than the USDM Corolla because of differences in materials and switchgear used, as well as features. In terms of expensive feel, the European Corolla competes actually very well with the Golf.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 01-26-09 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I'd have to disagree with your comment on the engine. This 1.8 is among the most durable, reliable, and most fuel efficient out there (for any class).
Three very important qualities. It's not suppose to be much more powerful as the main objective is fuel economy.

The Corolla is built much better than the Golf. Drive both for 250,000 miles and see what happens (although the Golf probably wouldn't even make it). And why should a $16K car feel like more than a $16K car?

Anyway, to the OP, I like the Corolla but yeah, it's a bit conservative. It depends what you're looking for though. Personally, I love the Civic in this segment and would choose that. Or, wait for the 2010 Mazda 3. It looks like a game changer, again.

I am 30.
I'm with JLSC4 on this one. Unless you want a hybrid or an AWD Subaru Impreza, it's hard to beat the Corolla as a nice, well-designed econobox (though the Hyundai Accent is also pretty nice). The so-called "covervative" body and interior don't faze me one bit......I actually rather like it. The Corolla and Hyundai Elantra are two small cars that, unlike many others, ride fairly smoothly over bumps. And, if you do want AWD, it is available on the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, twins that share a different hatchback body than the Corolla, but much of the same mechanicals.

Of course, if it's handling that you want, JLSC4 is correct that the Civic and Mazda3 are better choices.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-09 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 07:56 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I dont think IS owners would want the Corolla to be similar to IS.

The more distinct the better..
Agreed, as an IS owner I can safely say that if the Corolla looked more like the IS I definitely wouldn't have went for it and probably would have ended up with a German.

Originally Posted by FKL
The car needs to have better build quality, enough said. It feels like a $16,000 car. The golf kills it in this respect.
Yeah but the GTI currently starts at 23k and the Jetta at 17k but easily goes past 20k with options.

For the cash it's a good car, but the XRS just doesn't compare to the Civic SI, Jetta GLI, or Mazda 3 etc.. and that's what's keeping it from really appealing to the younger generation IMO. Also the tail lights look kind of cheap in person.
Old 01-26-09, 08:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

that interior is shameful. i don't get corolla buyers. i mean why would anyone take corolla over civic or mazda 3? it's not cheaper, and it certainly isn't better looking. if you want roomy save couple of grand get a elantra. roomier and the interior certainly isn't as bad as that one.
Old 01-26-09, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
that interior is shameful. i don't get corolla buyers. i mean why would anyone take corolla over civic or mazda 3? it's not cheaper, and it certainly isn't better looking. if you want roomy save couple of grand get a elantra. roomier and the interior certainly isn't as bad as that one.
B/C the Corolla still is a very sold car. It really doesn't lack in any area, it does everything good with great reliability. Vanilla sells and people love it.

Old 01-26-09, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
If you think that the Corolla interior is shameful, take a look at a Dodge Caliber or Jeep Compass. Those interiors, and the materials they use, are the very definition of cheap....as some Nissan interiors were till just a couple of years ago.
Old 01-26-09, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Do I have to give my age, guys?

I can assure you that I am not a young man.....but I'm far from having one foot in the grave.
Old 01-26-09, 08:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i love toyota because supra was my first love and of course i used to rock 4runner and stuff, but definitely corolla isn't my cup of tea. and let's talk about domestics here. we all know domestic cars are ****ty.

but corolla has been vanilla for too long IMO. i really wish toyota comes up with something that kicks civic, rabbit or mazda3's ***. toyota is better than that especially on that interior. i'm in 100% agreement with OP here.
Old 01-26-09, 09:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

nice looking ride. I am sure it will fare well against its competition
Old 01-26-09, 09:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you think that the Corolla interior is shameful, take a look at a Dodge Caliber or Jeep Compass. Those interiors, and the materials they use, are the very definition of cheap....as some Nissan interiors were till just a couple of years ago.
Amen to that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Generation Corolla