Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took the plunge... bought a BMW 545 sport.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 06:19 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus should take note that the discerning luxury car buyer will want more than just a smooth ride.
Of course not; discerning luxury car buyers also want reliability, quality interiors, extensive comfort/entertainment options, etc., and Lexus has taken note; that's why they are successful.

But where your assumption is wrong is that not all luxury car buyers want a firm ride. If that was actually a major factor, Lexus wouldn't sell any cars. Similarly, not all luxury car buyers want a car that goes fast when they "slam the gas" as you mentioned in your OP (given this criteria I'm wondering why you would even consider an LS in the first place...). Don't confuse what you want (and what you want Lexus to do) with what luxury car buyers in general want... not everyone wants or would be happy with an F.
Old 01-29-09, 06:48 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Of course not; discerning luxury car buyers also want reliability, quality interiors, extensive comfort/entertainment options, etc., and Lexus has taken note; that's why they are successful.

But where your assumption is wrong is that not all luxury car buyers want a firm ride. If that was actually a major factor, Lexus wouldn't sell any cars. Similarly, not all luxury car buyers want a car that goes fast when they "slam the gas" as you mentioned in your OP (given this criteria I'm wondering why you would even consider an LS in the first place...). Don't confuse what you want (and what you want Lexus to do) with what luxury car buyers in general want... not everyone wants or would be happy with an F.
I think that what was meant, was that some discerning car buyers want more than just a comfy ride. Lexus does an incredible job of providing vehicles that are very comfortable and luxurious, and sales prove this.

It is naive and silly to suggest that any one type of car is going to satisfy everyone. That is why the German's have expanded their line-ups to address the different demands. Lexus has made a valiant attempt at breaking into the performance segment that the German's currently dominate with the F, but they can't compete across their entire line-up.

I would contend that both you and the OP are actually right. There are likely just as many drivers that want a little more performance/firmer suspension than those that do not. Unfortunately, right now, if someone is seeking the former Lexus has nothing to offer that compares to a BMW 545 with the sport package. This certainly causes some buyers to stay away. The lack of Lexus' ability to compete across all vehicle lines will be a valid criticism until it's addressed.

I do disagree with the comment about BMW soul....what a load of bs. Vehicles are inanimate objects and I find this comment (that they hang on to so desperately on their forums) to be completely ridiculous.
Old 01-29-09, 08:07 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 545i it cut off not once but twice on me one time at a busy intersection. It was covered under warranty but still for that to happen to a brand new car. On top of that my passenger side window would get stuck sometimes. I bought me a 98 GS with 93k now I have over 170k only problem I had was when I tried to clean the engine. Good Luck with the Bimmer though.
Old 01-29-09, 10:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I had a 545i it cut off not once but twice on me one time at a busy intersection. It was covered under warranty but still for that to happen to a brand new car. On top of that my passenger side window would get stuck sometimes. I bought me a 98 GS with 93k now I have over 170k only problem I had was when I tried to clean the engine. Good Luck with the Bimmer though.
The BMW horror stories are real out there, hopefully in small numbers. I know a lawyer who had his new BMW 7 series purchased back by the BMW dealer (due to constant electrical problems).
Old 01-30-09, 09:18 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

my cousin has the same car...Does yours have a tapping noise? i think his lifters are gummed up... =/...Its a problem on the E60 forums ..he might need a new head..
Old 01-30-09, 09:19 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Marshall, I've driven an IS350; sat and drove an IS-F in a parking lot..No way do either compare with a BMW's steering rack ...Lexus needs to hire some BMW engineers for steering....
Old 01-30-09, 10:22 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The steering feel is great in virtually all BMW products.

Congragulations on the 545i. I reviewed, by CL request, a 550i a couple of years ago, and found it a superb sports sedan. The 545 is virtually the same car....I don't think you will have many complaints with it, although I find the I-Drive system tedious and annoying to use, especially while driving.
There is a thing u can't review...reliability

Goodluck with your Bimmer
Old 01-30-09, 10:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IsraelRX

Goodluck with your Bimmer
Sure you can http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5series/2...eview.5...html

There are many more "reviews" available. Enjoy your new car OP.
Old 01-30-09, 11:15 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Sure you can http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5series/2...eview.5...html

There are many more "reviews" available. Enjoy your new car OP.
I don't know about those reviews you're quoting. There are some awfully poor ones for a new car (but of course every manufacturer will have some issues regardless of badge). Most of the positive ones are all within a year or two of ownership....and come from Bimmer fanboys.....j/k

If we are talking an '05 or '06 (didn't see in the OP), CR has it at average for drive system ('05), suspension, squeaks and rattles, power equipment, brakes (in '06) and overall reliability. It is poor or worse for climate system, paint/trim, audio system, and electrical system (shocking..I know).

But as the OP stated, he will not own the car outside of factory warranty, so hopefully he has no issues and loves his new ride.

P.S. Please don't think that I dislike the German cars. I almost bought a C63 and have test drives on Monday at both BMW and MB. It's just trying to argue that the German's are as reliable as Lexus...is like saying that Lexus' handle as well as the German's....simply not true...yet.

Last edited by CDNROCKIES; 01-30-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 11:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IsraelRX
I've reviewed reliability several times, by putting my money on the line and owning the subject vehicles.
Old 01-30-09, 11:35 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I never claimed that BMW is more reliable than Lexus. The whole point of me looking at Lexus first was because of the reliability. I tried liking the LS430 but I just couldnt. My SC300 has 270k miles and still runs amazingly. If my 5er makes it relatively problem free till HALF those miles ill be happy.

And no I dont have any tapping noise.
Old 01-30-09, 04:10 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I have a buddy Reza in San Diego who has 110k on his E60...all trouble free minus a snapped endlink on his sway bar due to him hitting something
Old 01-30-09, 04:12 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
It's just trying to argue that the German's are as reliable as Lexus...is like saying that Lexus' handle as well as the German's....simply not true...yet.
amen to that.