Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took the plunge... bought a BMW 545 sport.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 05:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the pickup!

I still remember the drive home the day I got my 745. Even though the GS400 had coilovers and such I could just feel a 'difference' in the driving characteristics of the stock 7series.

I was really surprised at how stiff the stock suspension was on the 7series, so I can imagine your Sport model 5.

In my opinion, its good to mix things up with your car choices. Enjoy the Bimmer.
Old 01-12-09, 06:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
Some users here have commented that the "steering feel" of BMW products makes them tired and hurt. I don't agree.
Yep, maybe a gym membership would help.

Old 01-12-09, 10:07 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
First off, I really wanted to stay with Lexus, but NO current Lexus impressed me in either looks or driving (with the exception of the IS-F).
ARE YOU READING THIS LEXUS!?

and congrats on the pick up, 5ers are great casr!!! Did you get the auto or manual?
Old 01-12-09, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

First off, I really wanted to stay with Lexus, but NO current Lexus impressed me in either looks or driving (with the exception of the IS-F). So I was forced to look at other brands.
WHY did no other Lexus, besides the IS-F, impress you, and "force" you to look at other brands? You may have boxed yourself into a corner here.

This takes nothing away from the 545, of course, and you did indeed make a nice choice with it (like the 550i and 335i, it is an excellent sports sedan....see my last post), but, the way I see it, there is far more to driving than just the torque and ultra-firm suspension on the IS-F. Other Lexus products may not have quite the 0-60 time or skidpad figures of the IS-F, but the world doesn't necessarily revolve around track times, and those other Lexus products offer some excellent features as well.....particularly the GS and LS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 11:41 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by mmarshall
the way I see it, there is far more to driving than just the torque and ultra-firm suspension on the IS-F. Other Lexus products may not have quite the 0-60 time or skidpad figures of the IS-F, but the world doesn't necessarily revolve around track times, and those other Lexus products offer some excellent features as well.....particularly the GS and LS.
"I drove a 545 sport and fell in love with it. With the sport package, it handles like a dream"; does a man have to explain more than this?
Old 01-12-09, 11:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
"I drove a 545 sport and fell in love with it. With the sport package, it handles like a dream"; does a man have to explain more than this?
No, of course not...that's your call. But since you did make a statement about no other Lexus except the IS-F being "acceptable" in your sight, I didn't see any problem asking why.

Either way, you didn't go wrong with a 545. Enjoy it.
Old 01-13-09, 12:00 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

"acceptable" in terms of offering BMW levels of driving satisfaction. Road feel, linear travel, grip, tracking, being able to precisely feel the wheels. No other luxury auto maker has consistently been hammered by the press for lack of motivation in these respects than Lexus has. There's a reason.
Old 01-13-09, 12:04 AM
kit cat

No, of course not...that's your call. But since you did make a statement about no other Lexus except the IS-F being "acceptable" in your sight, I didn't see any problem asking why.

oh gotcha, i thought you were asking him why he bought a 545i
Old 01-13-09, 12:04 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

That quote is actually from the OP, not Coco-bun...he's looking at an IS F.

If you look at what the OP stated they were looking for, Lexus doesn't have anything that does drive like a S55 AMG or a 545 with the sport package. The fact that the OP didn't see anything as far as looks that they liked is totally subjective of course. But you cannot argue that Lexus has a vehicle that can compete with how a S55 AMG or 545 with sport package drive. While the GS is a very nice, luxurious, reliable car....it does not come close as far as driving performance.
Old 01-13-09, 07:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Some users here have commented that the "steering feel" of BMW products makes them tired and hurt. I don't agree.
Stick arms... They gotta hit the gym lol..
Old 01-27-09, 07:53 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Got really busy so didn't have a chance to reply. Looks wise it's subjective. I do not really like the exterior of the new GS. Interior wise, the GS is much better than a bland 5er. For all those asking its auto I don't want a daily to be manual.

mmarshall: The reason for me not buying the IS-F is simple: I'm in med school so I'm broke lol. If it was in the price range of a 545 I would have snagged that up over it.

I will buy my next car in 2 yrs when I get into residency (conveniently the same time the CPO warranty runs out on this car). At that time I will be looking at 6 series, SL class, and used 911 turbos. Nothing from Lexus, unless the new SC has some serious power, will be able to compete. Lexus should take note that the discerning luxury car buyer will want more than just a smooth ride. They need to put more soul into their cars like BMW does. BMW, Audi, and Benz all have cars with 500 hp. If Lexus doesnt extend their F line to compete with those, then sadly my good ole' SC300 will be the last Lexus I own. Although I haven't driven one, the new LS600 is definately a step in the right direction!
Old 01-28-09, 07:14 AM
dr Lu
Driver

wow..ur one rich *** med student then...
Old 01-28-09, 07:36 AM
cajunboy
Driver

wow, with all the med school loan and you still manage to buy a cpo 545i, you gotta be rich. My gf is 3rd med student and still drive her 01 accord untill that car breakdown. well enjoy your new beamer, it look really nice.
Old 01-28-09, 10:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Neither do I. If my 5'2" wife can drive a BMW and not get tired from the steering wheel I would think pretty much anyone else could as well
Old 01-29-09, 02:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I will buy my next car in 2 yrs when I get into residency (conveniently the same time the CPO warranty runs out on this car).
Good point, nobody wants to own a Benz or Beemer out of warranty, so CPO is a big thing for those makes. Obviously the confidence in reliability of these cars is not there.

Quick Reply: Took the plunge... bought a BMW 545 sport.