Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi TT or A4 vs. (00-05) Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 09:11 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpower
I dunno... the 330i is his daily driver and his IS350 is all pimped out and never seen a day of rain. Hmm...

He said it though..He loves the E90 more ...
I do also like my cousins E60 more than my GS.
Old 12-23-08, 09:25 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
He said it though..He loves the E90 more ...
I do also like my cousins E60 more than my GS.
Then why don't you get a Bimmer...

Old 12-23-08, 12:04 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input guys, yeah i believe its the Audi TT 1.8T the one that like 200+hp, along with a 6spd tranny, well she love driving stick so i know thats what she gonna go for. im trying to think of some other cars that she may be intrested in, how does the BMW 330 series rank? also i was checking out some MB clk 430's and C 230 kompressor as well, any input? dam i forgot to mention G35 and nissan 350z. well i don't know what this girl wants. i think she wants a small to mid size sports luxury car i should throw her lil *** in a Scion and tell her to be happy
Old 12-23-08, 12:12 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Str8 VIP
I so i turned her on to the 1st Gen Lexus IS. At first she liked the car, but i guess after looking at it over and over again she thinks it looks like a Civic (yeah i almost fainted too).
my friend (not a car guy) said the exact same thing when our friend got an IS (he drives a NA Impreza). You have to admit because of the backend and all the ricers putting altezza's on their cars its easy to thing "oh great another ricer" from the non-car guy types.
Old 12-23-08, 12:15 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you married to this girl? Don't buy cars for girls that you are not married to Hell, your car should be better than the car you are seeking to purchase for her..lol.. What are you driving?
Old 12-23-08, 12:32 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the older TT are very very fun to drive if it has that " T " tag on the back... i believe all TT comes with Quattro but don't hold me to it.. but if not, please have the Quattro, without it.. an Audi just isn't. and yes when buying this car. make sure to have a warrently to go with it.

Have to agree, girls love that little car. i would have to say, to me it change Audi's imagine. That TT was a marbel when it came out... skip the A4/S4 if it is older than 5 years...

AWD should be great for you considering you're at PA... the snow drive is awesome!!!
Old 12-23-08, 01:28 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Are you married to this girl? Don't buy cars for girls that you are not married to Hell, your car should be better than the car you are seeking to purchase for her..lol.. What are you driving?
o nah nah im not buying her a car, (if i gave that impression off) im just helping her. when i mean helping her like going to the dealership test driving, and negotiating. right now? i drive an 03 honda accord lol hell there is kids 1/2 my age have a better car then me.

1993ES300x the older TT are very very fun to drive if it has that " T " tag on the back... i believe all TT comes with Quattro but don't hold me to it.. but if not, please have the Quattro, without it.. an Audi just isn't. and yes when buying this car. make sure to have a warrently to go with it.

Have to agree, girls love that little car. i would have to say, to me it change Audi's imagine. That TT was a marbel when it came out... skip the A4/S4 if it is older than 5 years...

AWD should be great for you considering you're at PA... the snow drive is awesome!!!

im not sure which TT it is but it's an 2001 and a 2003 model she was looking at is that the model you refering to 1993es300x??
Old 12-23-08, 11:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

audi tt 225 (with 225 hp (has a k04 instead of the k03) chip that and you have quick lol car

almost 50 more hp from a chip!!
throw in a test pipe 2.75 exhaust piping spark plug non foulers for the test pipes, a nice fmic, water meth injection, do the airbox mod (drill holes in the bottom of the airbox and put in a nice drop in filter), a nice diverter (no bov's on closed loop systems please!!) and you might be pulling in close 300 crank hp which = 260 whp not bad for a 4 banger and 2.5k worth of mods on a german sport's coupe

if you want to mod the suspension for for stillen stuff
Old 12-23-08, 11:37 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

They just need a little more attention than other cars do. A car is only going to be as reliable as you are. If you change the oil every 5k miles with synthetic oil, put in 91 or higher octane gas, and do all the other required maintenance at its recommended intervals than the car will be very reliable. These engine's are a marvel of German technology and are capable of exceeding 200k+ miles on them no problem. The V6 tends to be more reliable than the 1.8T because of the lack of forced induction.Do keep in mind though, as far as reliabilty, Audi just can't compete with a Honda or Toyota. The style and uniqueness of Audi is legendary, and makes ownership and the satisfaction of driving in general top notch compared to any other car maker. This tends to make up for any of Audis shortcomings as far as less than top notch reliability goes.

Contrary to popular belief the 1.8T's engine does not have forged internals. The pistons are forged Mahle's, but thats it. The limit of a completely stock 1.8T is around 450hp/330ft lbs (with a good tune). After that your gona start snapping rods. Other than that, you dont need to touch anything else. You could swap in new pistons to lower the compression ratio, but the stock piston's have been proven to be able to handle over 700hp. If your gona be taking the engine to over 8k RPM (sometimes 7500RPM) than you'll also want to upgrade the valve springs so you dont float a valve. There are 900+ hp 1.8T's out there.

hope this helps

(source audiforums.com back when i used to have my audi)
Old 12-24-08, 06:47 AM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

yeah i dont know why but it seems like all girls like audis and vws. i test drove the first gen IS300 and i almost bought it. the only thing i didnt like about it was the seats. since there was no lumbar support it was pretty uncomfortable on my lower back. but it drove nicely and i liked it. but why not an SC300?
Old 12-24-08, 01:29 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
audi tt 225 (with 225 hp (has a k04 instead of the k03) chip that and you have quick lol car

almost 50 more hp from a chip!!
throw in a test pipe 2.75 exhaust piping spark plug non foulers for the test pipes, a nice fmic, water meth injection, do the airbox mod (drill holes in the bottom of the airbox and put in a nice drop in filter), a nice diverter (no bov's on closed loop systems please!!) and you might be pulling in close 300 crank hp which = 260 whp not bad for a 4 banger and 2.5k worth of mods on a german sport's coupe

if you want to mod the suspension for for stillen stuff
thanks for the info dave, but one question what is wrong with a bov on a closed loop system?? thanks for the audi forums suggestion, i leard a little more about this car since i check that site out. o by the way happy holidays to everyone on CL friends and family take it easy and be safe out on the roads!!!!

1997 Sc 300, believe me i mention the Sc to her matter fact i found a beautiful black on black 99 with low mileage and she said "yuck" i almost fainted when i heard that. Believe me this girl is spoiled and picky so thats a bad combination right there

Last edited by Str8 VIP; 12-24-08 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-24-08, 02:11 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Str8 VIP
thanks for the info dave, but one question what is wrong with a bov on a closed loop system?? thanks for the audi forums suggestion, i leard a little more about this car since i check that site out. o by the way happy holidays to everyone on CL friends and family take it easy and be safe out on the roads!!!!

1997 Sc 300, believe me i mention the Sc to her matter fact i found a beautiful black on black 99 with low mileage and she said "yuck" i almost fainted when i heard that. Believe me this girl is spoiled and picky so thats a bad combination right there
The dv(diverter valve) recirculates boost a bov lets boost out into the air. the 1.8t is programed to get excess boost diverted to the intake when shifting. but if you put in a bov it will think that it will be getting the air but its not but it will still give it all that extra fuel so it will run rich initaly it will take longer for the turbo to spool it will basicly lower the performance. a nice diverter valve sounds just as nice a bov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usPVnPtPuEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrsDI...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjtfMCmt3wY

basicly my old a4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ9Mc39i0Cc
Old 12-24-08, 03:29 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell her to get a 1SC....it's faster than both the 2GS300 and the 1IS
Old 12-24-08, 05:27 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
Then why don't you get a Bimmer...

Because I work on it myself, and I like cheap parts and easy diagnosis ...
Nothing beats Japanese reliability
Old 12-25-08, 06:44 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suislide
Tell her to get a 1SC....it's faster than both the 2GS300 and the 1IS
yeah i tried to run that idea by her but she doesn't like the the exterior look of the SC, it's like every car i like she doesn't. maybe she just like european rides....

texan629 Get the audi with all the japan bashing starting up, the toyota will get vandalized.

you lost me here??????????