Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Poll: Should the North American International Auto Show be Moved, and to Where?
Keep it in Detroit.
28.57%
Move it to L.A./ SoCal.
42.86%
Move it to the Washington, D.C. Area.
4.76%
Move it to New York City.
9.52%
Move it to Atlanta.
9.52%
Move it somewhere else (explain why).
4.76%
Stick to auto reviews, mmarshall, and don't try to tell auto marketers what to do.
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is it Time to Scrap the Detroit Auto Show?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd like to actually see it rotated around the country. I'd personally like to see it come to Miami at least once (we host a very nice boat show every year). I'd also, given that I lived there once, add Chicago to the list above. I always thought if you were going to host an auto show in the Midwest, it shouldn't be in Detroit, but rather in Chicago.

When I lived in Mexico, we had a car show every year in December for the companies to introduce new models to Mexico and some years it was good and some years bad, but down there Mexico City (given it had 25% of the population) and is a car town had to have the show.
Old 12-23-08, 09:49 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say keep it in detroit. If you've ever been their, you know its all the city has going for it. Plus the auto show isnt that great anyways.

I'm still waiting for the orange land rover(Range Stormer) with lambo doors.
Old 12-23-08, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I say keep it in detroit. If you've ever been their, you know its all the city has going for it. Plus the auto show isnt that great anyways.

I'm still waiting for the orange land rover(Range Stormer) with lambo doors.

Yes, that's an option, of course, but the city becomes less and less of a major influence on the general auto industry each year. Perhaps the money that the city spends for the show there every year could be put to some better uses for the city.....as you yourself note, there are some critical needs there in infrastucture and urban decay.
Old 12-23-08, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'd like to actually see it rotated around the country. I'd personally like to see it come to Miami at least once (we host a very nice boat show every year). I'd also, given that I lived there once, add Chicago to the list above. I always thought if you were going to host an auto show in the Midwest, it shouldn't be in Detroit, but rather in Chicago.
A good idea, Lexmex. I had not considered that. That, of course, is what they do with the Super Bowl and the World Series.