Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Here is more cost cutting. THe new Acura TSX has a beige rear speaker shelf, even if you have the black leather interior.

Old 12-16-08, 07:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Is the hood for the highlander heavy though? the one for the older 4 runner while wasn't unbearable, it was pretty hefty and that had a hood prop, pain in the butt during winter though to put washer fluid in there.
Old 12-16-08, 08:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1SICK, here's another example:

Notice the gap on the right side of the navigation screen (above the passenger temperature indicator, slightly to the right). Also, look at the gap where the glovebox is. That's reminiscent of a GM more than a Honda. Mind you that nearly all of the plastics shown here are hard to the touch, and the ones that are coated (in the middle), still feel relatively flibsy and cheap. Run your finger over those "buttons", and they will scratch against rough plastic. Push them in and the entire cluster creaks. Also, the finish on the vent adjusters will rub off very easily. And to top it all off the interface controller is strait up cheap hollow plastic. Maybe I'm being harsh on this car, but Nissan and GM have made huge strides in interior quality while Honda has taken a step backwards with this car (feel headliner for yet another example). If you want an example of ultimate cheapness look at the plastic under the dash gauage overhang - cheap, cheap plastic with exposed screwheads, topped with a big flank of more cheap plastic. Compare this to the Volkswagen design:

Forget all this real wood on the top trim model, but the way the top of the dash gracefully overhangs the cluster with one single piece of soft touch material that enmulates leather really sets the car apart, and into another class. Note the absence of a parking brake, the multifunction computer/display with wheel controls, "floating" armrest on the drivers door, the high-quality aluminum key, as well as the BMW-esque way the throttle is planted to the floor (with extra click kickdown). Little details go a long way towards overall refinement in my opinion. Lastly, the high-quality cool to the touch aluminum trim around the manumatic (yet another feature Honda refuses to offer). Design elements like this are often overlooked by the general automotive press, but I for one notice them. It seems to me that there was much more thought put into the interior of the VW over the Honda, from the way it looks to the way it functions in everyday driving. Simple, refined, elegant, benchmark for the class, yet again.

This picture pretty sums up what clearly thought out engineering and design are all about:

Last edited by FKL; 12-16-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:56 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Too bad interiors and structural rigidity are the only things going for VW/Audi. Everything else was a reliability nightmare for my 2001 Passat V6, and nowadays Audi are down on horsepower AND fuel economy.
Old 12-16-08, 08:58 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
Too bad interiors and structural rigidity are the only things going for VW/Audi. Everything else was a reliability nightmare for my 2001 Passat V6, and nowadays Audi are down on horsepower AND fuel economy.
That sounds like a trophy wife to me...
Old 12-16-08, 09:44 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
What does bother me though is realizing that if Toyota is bold enough to visibly cut costs on a 30-40k dollar vehicle like that... what else have they cut costs on that we can't even see?
I traded my 03 V8 4Runner because the warranty repairs where adding up, awesome vehicle but total let down by Toyota, comparing the 4rd Gen to the 3th Gen, the 2 have obviously different profit margins when it comes to finishing touches.

Absolutely no disrespect to the 4Runner but the 4th Gens from 03- to currently 09 are built on a cheap Toyota budget, that is including interior and exterior, not the powertrain, the 3rd Gen from 96-02 might as well have a Lexus symbol on them that's how different they are built.

I much prefer the last generation of Toyotas and Lexus vehicles, the new engines are nice but that's about it
Old 12-16-08, 11:02 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by ffpower
That sounds like a trophy wife to me...
Wait, no! Mrs. Bumbleclark! I meant VW and Audi! *waving hand violently*

My brother drives it now in college...waiting for eventual word of how reliable it is in his hands. Although I do miss driving it, it opened my eyes to the most bizarre, random and annoying problems I've ever seen in cars.

Edit: BTW, that car has a gas strut for the hood. =)

Last edited by superchan7; 12-16-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 11:02 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EDGE2
I traded my 03 V8 4Runner because the warranty repairs where adding up, awesome vehicle but total let down by Toyota, comparing the 4rd Gen to the 3th Gen, the 2 have obviously different profit margins when it comes to finishing touches.

Absolutely no disrespect to the 4Runner but the 4th Gens from 03- to currently 09 are built on a cheap Toyota budget, that is including interior and exterior, not the powertrain, the 3rd Gen from 96-02 might as well have a Lexus symbol on them that's how different they are built.

I much prefer the last generation of Toyotas and Lexus vehicles, the new engines are nice but that's about it
strange. My parents 2004 4runner has been perfect.

Last edited by pagemaster; 12-16-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 11:05 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by superchan7
Did you have an 01.5 or the pre-facelift? Like I said, hardly the cheapest cars to own. I've gone through new CV boots, control arms, cct/valve cover gasket - all common A4/passat problems with the 2.8L. Have to love extended warranties. But, at least I know that with proper care the engine can do the long haul. High Mileage Passat. The most bizzare thing I've come across is fuse #14 shorting and cutting all power to the starter, windows, radio, locking system, etc. Happened when I was changing an interior light, had no idea what was wrong until a google search.

But I'd say in addition to structual rigidity and interior quality, they also sport impressive driving dynamics as well as impeccable exterior quality (paint, gap tolorances, finishes, etc.). Won't win any awards for being easy on your wallet, that's for sure. The Passat has always been an A4 at heart, with Audi ownership costs to boot. Pay to play I suppose.

Last edited by FKL; 12-16-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 11:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
1SICK, here's another example:

, look at the gap where the glovebox is.
I know the owner. That night he stuffed his glove compartment with a ton of stuff
Old 12-16-08, 11:12 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

F'o real
Old 12-16-08, 11:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

damn is the lack of hood struts that big of a deal that a thread needs to be started. Its a damn toyota the hood will rarely be opened for repair. The service guy can deal with it. I dont see why this is a problem. I would rather them to cut cost there than like the american car comapnies cut cost.
Old 12-16-08, 11:25 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Originally Posted by FKL
Did you have an 01.5 or the pre-facelift? Like I said, hardly the cheapest cars to own. I've gone through new CV boots, control arms, cct/valve cover gasket - all common A4/passat problems with the 2.8L. Have to love extended warranties. But, at least I know that with proper care the engine can do the long haul. High Mileage Passat. The most bizzare thing I've come across is fuse #14 shorting and cutting all power to the starter, windows, radio, locking system, etc. Happened when I was changing an interior light, had no idea what was wrong until a google search.

But I'd say in addition to structual rigidity and interior quality, they also sport impressive driving dynamics as well as impeccable exterior quality (paint, gap tolorances, finishes, etc.). Won't win any awards for being easy on your wallet, that's for sure. The Passat has always been an A4 at heart, with Audi ownership costs to boot. Pay to play I suppose.
It was a pre-facelift 2.8, a family car that I drove until I bought a car this year. I forgot, VW's paint is awesome with a deep lustre that never required waxing in the 7 years since it was new. The paint on my current car (2008 ES350) has NOTHING on it, and this is a car that costs quite a bit more than the Passat. I also miss the steering and general handling of the car, as you can see I don't exactly drive a sports sedan now.

My Passat had CV boots changed, exterior and interior light bulbs replaced more often than the tires, tie rods worn prematurely, etc. It also burns oil, requiring biweekly dipstick checks and 2 bottles of oil sitting in the trunk at all times. Early 2007, it saw a massive radiator leak requiring a new radiator. Early 2008, the engine sprang an oil leak that required $3000 in repairs.

Hopefully that puts it on track to a long life because the money has been blown...almost as much as the car itself is worth at this point