Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeff Gordon - Willing to take pay cut to keep team at highest level

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up Jeff Gordon - Willing to take pay cut to keep team at highest level

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72421

Gordon says it's 'ridiculous' how much money some drivers have been able to make in recent years and believes they should be the first to cut back in hard times.
"I never dreamed in a million years I was going to make this kind of money," he said. "This is ridiculous, it's stupid what we spend on motorhomes and planes and all this.

"Do we need that? No. But things have been good for us, the sport's been good. I'm living this way because things have been very good. Now, obviously, we're having to cut back, and I have to cut back, too."

Old 12-10-08, 03:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classy guy.

Hopefully he'll get another championship before he retires.

Go 24!!
Old 12-10-08, 04:00 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why so many fans think negatively of him. He is as professional and mature and polite in interviews as any driver in NASCAR today.
Old 12-10-08, 04:03 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
I don't know why so many fans think negatively of him. He is as professional and mature and polite in interviews as any driver in NASCAR today.
Agreed.

Also he's not as dull as Jimmie Johnson...

Sorry, 48 fans.
Old 12-10-08, 04:05 PM
LexFather

I don't really watch Nascar but I've always been a huge Jeff Gordan fan. I also am not sure why he is so hated.

Maybe b/c he is that damn good?

Old 12-10-08, 07:41 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He should move to F1, I'm sure he'd do a great job. Years ago when he switched cars with Montoya and drove the Williams F1 car, his time was less than 2 seconds off Montoya's, and without any previous F1 experience!!!
Old 12-10-08, 07:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

He is generally hated by many hard core NASCAR guys because he is not a typical tough talking/acting good ole boy and is more clean cut and does not speak with a Southern twang or accent and does not fit in with the NASCAR image. Jeff Gordon also used to win all the time and shot up real quick which angered alot of fans of older drivers that Jeff Gordon would beat. There are a couple drivers now in NASCAR that are young and more clean cut and not the typical good ole boy with a southern accent but when Gordon first hit the NASCAR circuit he really stood out from the rest of the drivers in the way he talked and carried himself. Many fans think he is more like a F1 or Indy Car driver then a NASCAR driver and did not fit in.

Jeff Gordon is a Ferrari fan and owns a 360 Modena which he talked about on Letterman one time.

I like Jeff Gordon too even though I am not really into NASCAR, he seems like a stand up guy and does not bring negativity to the sport. I have met him once and he is really nice and well spoken, my mom talked with him for a few minutes and got a picture with him. I would like to see Gordon in Indy or some kind of open wheeled racing, he would give it more positive exposure and make it more popular. It is nice hearing very rich people like JG being humble and even admitting they are overpaid and willing to take paycuts they don't have to and encouraging others to do so.
Old 12-10-08, 08:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

what a guy. I dont think he will be starving any time soon. Lets see them do it for free for the love of the sport. lol
Old 12-11-08, 07:03 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

+2... even when he's pissed about someone/something he stays professional...
Old 12-11-08, 12:52 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

What I really like about Gordon is how good he is at road courses, him and Tony Stewart are by far the best road course big name driver's in NASCAR. I would like to see Jeff Gordon in more sports car racing, I really enjoyed it when he was in the race of champions in Europe against the likes of Michael Schumacher.
Old 12-11-08, 05:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yea Jeff Gordon is a nice and righteous guy. I think I heard he is a christian. That's good..... good for him.

This also means he is likely a republican.... which is another plus.

The guy is doing something for the love of the sport and to support the team during hard times. Religion and politics dont matter IMO
Old 12-11-08, 05:56 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yea Jeff Gordon is a nice and righteous guy. I think I heard he is a christian. That's good..... good for him.

This also means he is likely a republican.... which is another plus.

OUCH :-/ I looked up to him as a 5 year old a looong time ago ..well I guess we can over look the republican part
Old 12-12-08, 06:44 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow he's the first athlete that i have any respect for in a long time. good job, obviously he has some integrity.
Old 12-12-08, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
wow he's the first athlete that i have any respect for in a long time. good job, obviously he has some integrity.
I dont know if I would call a race driver an athelete, especially a NASCAR driver. There is no real work. floor it and steer. LOL
Old 12-12-08, 08:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont know if I would call a race driver an athelete, especially a NASCAR driver. There is no real work. floor it and steer. LOL
Hmm... then how come some F1/CART drivers failed miserably in NASCAR?

Quick Reply: Jeff Gordon - Willing to take pay cut to keep team at highest level