Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 08:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love it- how people have kids and immediately "need" a huge car.
Babies can be, what... 5, maybe 8 pounds?!

I have no idea how my parents raised me and my brother, with a pair
of lowly Fiat sedans back in the 70s. Mom actually had a 2-door Ford
Falcon when we were very young.

Anyway, I am no fan of SUVs, but given your disdain for minivans,
the Highlander is the best choice. It's car-based, economical, offers
more room than a GS (but still absolutely pales in comparison
to the space in a van), and frankly looks pretty cool.

For the record, I have no kids but own an 08 Odyssey as a work van.
I love the low load-in height, car-like driving characteristics, ability to
swallow beach cruisers standing upright or seven friends (plus luggage)
and I like driving something out of the norm (mine is lowered on 20" wheels).
My Odyssey gets FAR more stares than ANY stock SUV, trust me!

Still don't understand the minivan stigma - these days more mommies
drive SUVs.

Anyway, congrats on the forthcoming crumb crunchers!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-17-08 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:30 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP doesn't really "need" it. He thinks he "needs" it and the car companies like to hear that.
Old 11-17-08, 10:00 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the kids! Highlander looks sufficient.
Old 11-17-08, 11:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the twins!!

If you are limiting your search to vehicles with three rows of seating, you may want to check the practicality of that third row. You will probably want to put the kiddos in the middle row just for access - working the child seat in and out of the third row (assuming proper seat anchors are available back there) could be a real pain.

Otherwise putting the kids in business class while sticking Granny in the wayback may cause some unforseen family problems. Check the accessibility of that third row, especially for someone a bit older and less limber than you. Most third row configurations are fine for 8-12 year olds, but small children usually aren't safe back there, and adult-sized people start to complain after about fifteen minutes of viewing the world from between their kneecaps.

After 20 years of herding Suburbans, I can attest to several disadvantages of that "afterthought" of a back row. It may look good in the showroom, but in addition to the ungraceful crawl-on-all-fours access, the cramped accommodations once in place are only the beginning. Being located over or just behind the rear axle delivers a pretty rough ride to your passengers assigned to steerage class. You might want to ask your dealer about the availability of airsick bags for the tourist section.

I selected an RX for hauling two or three adults and a LOT of gear. It performs admirably, although with the load of playpens, strollers, diaper bags, etc. that will soon become a part of your traveling circus, you are going to need something with REAL hauling capacity. The GX and even the LX with that third row in use, will not easily accommodate all of your gear. Sad to say, if you need to haul your wife, twins, and a doting Granny or two, in addition to all of the baby cargo, you might want to re-think that mommy van. Most now come with Lexus-like amenities and while they may not be quite as glamorous as a conventional coupe, sedan, or SUV, they can haul VOLUMES of passengers and gear that nothing else can approach.
Old 11-18-08, 04:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Congrats on the twins!!

.....although with the load of playpens, strollers, diaper bags, etc. that will soon become a part of your traveling circus, you are going to need something with REAL hauling capacity. The GX and even the LX with that third row in use, will not easily accommodate all of your gear. Sad to say, if you need to haul your wife, twins, and a doting Granny or two, in addition to all of the baby cargo, you might want to re-think that mommy van. Most now come with Lexus-like amenities and while they may not be quite as glamorous as a conventional coupe, sedan, or SUV, they can haul VOLUMES of passengers and gear that nothing else can approach.

Speaking w/ the Mrs yesterday, even with the GL in the mix, she'd still rather keep the Sienna and get something sporty like a convertible... check one out, just finished my basement and it was a godsend for all the trips to The Depot, let alone when Grandma rides along...
Old 11-18-08, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I
B. Lexus GX (The GX is a nice size for my wife and it has all the features we are use to because it is a Lexus, but it has been out for 6 years and may get redesigned any minute now). Was really hoping the new RX had the third row.

C. Lexus LX (The LX is really big, but it is a Lexus and has Lexus features, but it is also very expensive).
First of all, congrats on the 2 bundles of joy
2nd of all, kiss your sleepy nights good bye

I really don't see the need for a 3 row vehicle if you don't have more than 3 adults + twins in the car.

I had the GX and with the 3rd down, it's a joke. LX wasn't any bigger.
As a matter of fact, almost all suv have worthless trunk space with the 3rd down (except the extended suvs)

Tell you whhhat, depending what you 2 want for the double strollers (side by side)

(front and back), it'll get heavy and tiring, especially for your wife.

I suggest you borrow a double stroller and have your wife try loading/unloading this thing in an SUV vs. a minivan WITH 2 babies and see which is easier

Not only that, Grandma would appreciate getting in and out of the minivan 10000x easier.

By the way, I wouldn't trade any suv for a minivan-maaaaybe a Q7. Reality has sunken in when convenience is the important factor

So on test-driving days, bring a double stroller and Grandma and see what's easier.

Or do what a friend of ours is doing. LEase a minivan and get rid of it in 3 years when the kids are much easier to handle.
Old 11-18-08, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
It's not the size or weight of the babies that is the issue. Most parents with young children or babies are extremely safety-oriented, which of course is understandable. While of course there are exceptions, in general the larger the vehicle, and the more physical structure the vehicle has around those those kids, the better they are ultimately protected, although some SUV's and minivans compromise that protection with a significant rollover danger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

drive SUVs.
Agree.....100%. I've written and posted on this subject for years, so I won't re-hash it again here. But some people just don't want them regardless of their family-friendly designs, and it's their money, not ours.........we can't tell them how to spend it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In a nutshell, the great news is that my wife and I just found out that were will be having twins. Yes, you read that right, twins. These will be our first children, maybe our last, and of course we are considering all kinds of things from getting a new place to what sitter service to go with.

In all these decisions, is the issue with our car. All of a sudden, after looking at double strollers and having to buy two of everything, car seats, etc, the trunk of the GS does not seem to cut it anymore. Not to mention, no other person (grandmas) can ride with us. So we are considering trading in the GS, which sucks because we just got it. We would keep it and get another car, but it is a waste of money. I use public transportation and look forward to driving the GS on weekends, but it is really my wife’s car.

1) If we do sell/trade the GS, when do you think would be better to do it. Now, because the auto industry is in the crapper and we will get a better deal on the new car, or in May/June when the kids come?

2) What vehicle to get? WE ARE NOT GETTING A MINIVAN. My wife is spoiled, so she needs the following features: rear view camera, parking sensors, navigation, and rear seat entertainment. I know all these things can be added aftermarket, but she wants them dealer installed (one warranty to deal with).

With that, we have considered the following vehicles (new and used):

A. Mercedes Benz GL Class (We would consider the GL450, but I really want the GL550 if I get a GL, but the GL550 is almost too expensive just to say we have the 550. It does look slightly different, which I like).

B. Lexus GX (The GX is a nice size for my wife and it has all the features we are use to because it is a Lexus, but it has been out for 6 years and may get redesigned any minute now). Was really hoping the new RX had the third row.

C. Lexus LX (The LX is really big, but it is a Lexus and has Lexus features, but it is also very expensive).

D. Cadillac Escalade Hybrid (The Escalade is very big, but it has the best gas mileage because it is a hybrid and with Red Tag pricing, can be had for a great deal now).

X. Toyota Highlander Premium Hybrid (This is not even close to the top, but it is equipped like the Lexus in terms of features and is a hybrid, so it is on the list).

Need your help?
Congragulations on becoming a Double-Daddy.

I would avoid the Escalade. Its interior is somewhat improved over previous versions, but its general build quality is not the best. I would also avoid the GL.....every U.S.-market Mercedes product has had below-average reliability for years.

The GX, while reliable and well-built, is quite high and narrow, and could tip over in sudden manuvers, even with stability control, which, in non-Volvo-designed SUV's only corrects for yaw, not roll.....something to think about with babies on board. The LX is also high, but much wider and more stable. But it's expensive, too.

If minivans (especially the Sierra) are out, take a look at the Lexus RX and Acura MDX....but I'm not sure if you can get factory rear-entertainment systems in them. I'd also recommend a look at the Hyundai Veracruz.....it's big, roomy, is reasonably-priced for what you get, and has a 10-year drivetrain warranty......but I don't remember if you can get the rear entertainment in that vehicle either.
Old 11-18-08, 10:46 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I have no idea how my parents raised me and my brother, with a pair
of lowly Fiat sedans back in the 70s. Mom actually had a 2-door Ford
Falcon when we were very young.

Anyway, I am no fan of SUVs, but given your disdain for minivans,
the Highlander is the best choice. It's car-based, economical, offers
more room than a GS (but still absolutely pales in comparison
to the space in a van), and frankly looks pretty cool.

For the record, I have no kids but own an 08 Odyssey as a work van.
I love the low load-in height, car-like driving characteristics, ability to
swallow beach cruisers standing upright or seven friends (plus luggage)
and I like driving something out of the norm (mine is lowered on 20" wheels).
My Odyssey gets FAR more stares than ANY stock SUV, trust me!

drive SUVs.

Anyway, congrats on the forthcoming crumb crunchers!
It is not that I think I NEED an SUV or a larger vehicle, but it certainly helps and ofcourse a minivan has to be included in that. My parents had a mazda Van when I was growing up and my sister and I are 4 years apart, but it made life easier. My friend and his wife have one child and have an S2000 and a RSX. Tell you this, the RSX makes for a lousy family car. People can get by without larger cars, infact people get by without cars period and use public transportation. Which is why we want something bigger. We love the GS, but the trunk sucks, as we tried a few strollers in and out of it and it takes up the whole room. Honestly, minivans sound the best, but We wanted to avoid that.

For the record, if all my friends, myself included, felt the way you do about minivans, the world would be a better place, less vain. Problem is, I still want the coupe life, and going straight to a minivan existance just seems so dreary.

I understand you get looks in your minivan. The Mugen Odessy is a sweet looking car, but it is a minivan and whenever I saw a hooked up minivan, I just assumed, no offense, that it was some young guy holding on to what he could since his wife forced him to get a minivan. Ofcourse, I am worse than that, because if we do get a minivan, my wife would never let me put rims on it and she definetly would not let me drop it.

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Congrats on the twins!!

If you are limiting your search to vehicles with three rows of seating, you may want to check the practicality of that third row. You will probably want to put the kiddos in the middle row just for access - working the child seat in and out of the third row (assuming proper seat anchors are available back there) could be a real pain.

Otherwise putting the kids in business class while sticking Granny in the wayback may cause some unforseen family problems. Check the accessibility of that third row, especially for someone a bit older and less limber than you. Most third row configurations are fine for 8-12 year olds, but small children usually aren't safe back there, and adult-sized people start to complain after about fifteen minutes of viewing the world from between their kneecaps.

After 20 years of herding Suburbans, I can attest to several disadvantages of that "afterthought" of a back row. It may look good in the showroom, but in addition to the ungraceful crawl-on-all-fours access, the cramped accommodations once in place are only the beginning. Being located over or just behind the rear axle delivers a pretty rough ride to your passengers assigned to steerage class. You might want to ask your dealer about the availability of airsick bags for the tourist section.

I selected an RX for hauling two or three adults and a LOT of gear. It performs admirably, although with the load of playpens, strollers, diaper bags, etc. that will soon become a part of your traveling circus, you are going to need something with REAL hauling capacity. The GX and even the LX with that third row in use, will not easily accommodate all of your gear. Sad to say, if you need to haul your wife, twins, and a doting Granny or two, in addition to all of the baby cargo, you might want to re-think that mommy van. Most now come with Lexus-like amenities and while they may not be quite as glamorous as a conventional coupe, sedan, or SUV, they can haul VOLUMES of passengers and gear that nothing else can approach.
You make a good point about the accesibility of SUV third rows. And honestly, besides minivans or the Rclass, which is a minivan, the third row is pointless in all cars, save the GL. My wife likes the auto folding thrid row as well as the split 50/50 seats. I will also say that I felt comfortable with the second row adjusted to its 90 degree setting, which is all the car seats would need. The useability of the third row is indeed a factor.

And also, the kids definetly have to be in the 2nd row. Besides, most SUVs with a third row don't even allow car seats. I know the GL does, but fe vehicles do. (Except maybe minivans.)

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
First of all, congrats on the 2 bundles of joy
2nd of all, kiss your sleepy nights good bye

I really don't see the need for a 3 row vehicle if you don't have more than 3 adults + twins in the car.

I had the GX and with the 3rd down, it's a joke. LX wasn't any bigger.
As a matter of fact, almost all suv have worthless trunk space with the 3rd down (except the extended suvs)

Tell you whhhat, depending what you 2 want for the double strollers (side by side)

I suggest you borrow a double stroller and have your wife try loading/unloading this thing in an SUV vs. a minivan WITH 2 babies and see which is easier

Not only that, Grandma would appreciate getting in and out of the minivan 10000x easier.

By the way, I wouldn't trade any suv for a minivan-maaaaybe a Q7. Reality has sunken in when convenience is the important factor

So on test-driving days, bring a double stroller and Grandma and see what's easier.

Or do what a friend of ours is doing. LEase a minivan and get rid of it in 3 years when the kids are much easier to handle.
My wife wants a stroller that allows you to put the car seats directly latched on to the stroller bed. In that regard, the frame does not weight too much and should not cause as mch pain as other strollers. Plus it will be less strapping in and out for the kids. That way, she just unlatches each kid, places each car seat in and then folders the carrier and puts that in the trunk alone.

After listening to the rational minds of people who now the most about cars from Supras, NSX's, Buggati, Ferrari, you all still echo minivan.

Well, I will try the minivan idea, I have not ruled it out and it seems with the ridiculous size constraints my wife has with the Extended or massive SUVs, plus the back seat/third row ingress/egress, it may be best.

By the way, To you all, Thanks on congrats, I appreciate it. I am Excited!!! (2X)
Old 11-18-08, 10:48 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations on becoming a Double-Daddy.

I would avoid the Escalade. Its interior is somewhat improved over previous versions, but its general build quality is not the best. I would also avoid the GL.....every U.S.-market Mercedes product has had below-average reliability for years.

The GX, while reliable and well-built, is quite high and narrow, and could tip over in sudden manuvers, even with stability control, which, in non-Volvo-designed SUV's only corrects for yaw, not roll.....something to think about with babies on board. The LX is also high, but much wider and more stable. But it's expensive, too.

If minivans (especially the Sierra) are out, take a look at the Lexus RX and Acura MDX....but I'm not sure if you can get factory rear-entertainment systems in them. I'd also recommend a look at the Hyundai Veracruz.....it's big, roomy, is reasonably-priced for what you get, and has a 10-year drivetrain warranty......but I don't remember if you can get the rear entertainment in that vehicle either.
Thanks MMarshall, and all of you for that matter. Looks like every vehicle on the list gets struck out in one way or the other, but everyone mentions the Toyota Sienna minivan...is that the best?
Old 11-18-08, 10:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the new Venza may work pretty well also
Old 11-18-08, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks MMarshall, and all of you for that matter. Looks like every vehicle on the list gets struck out in one way or the other, but everyone mentions the Toyota Sienna minivan...is that the best?
The Sienna is, no question, family-friendly, and well-built. It is also currently the only U.S.-market minivan available with AWD for traction. But, if your wife can't stand it, for whatever reason, it's probably not worth the strain on your marriage it would bring.....and on her motherhood.

If the Hyundai Veracruz has the entertainment systems you and her want, I think it's worth a look, although the steering is a little vague for my tastes.

Here are some nice shots of it:

Old 11-18-08, 01:00 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Sienna is, no question, family-friendly, and well-built. It is also currently the only U.S.-market minivan available with AWD for traction. But, if your wife can't stand it, for whatever reason, it's probably not worth the strain on your marriage it would bring.....and on her motherhood.

If the Hyundai Veracruz has the entertainment systems you and her want, I think it's worth a look, although the steering is a little vague for my tastes.

Here are some nice shots of it:

As always Mike ()
This is an EXCELLENT vehicle.... and more space than a Highlander. For $$ value, space, warranty, luxury (VERY similar to RX inside) you cannot go wrong. I drive my Sonata HARD and nary an issue.

And as for minivans... yes... Sienna IS the best, would take any day over an Odessey.
Old 11-18-08, 01:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the GX, LX or the Escalade have fold flat third rows. Most of the time, you will be traveling with cargo, not rear passengers. Personally, I like the MDX for what you have described.

If you are traveling with rear passengers a lot, you really want to re-consider the minivan, or look at SUVs and crossovers that come with mid-row captain's chairs. You won't be able to flip the middle seats forward with the baby seats there, and do you really want grandma climbing up through the tail gate??

Quick Reply: Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?