Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FURIOUS with Lexus Corporate right now

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FURIOUS with Lexus Corporate right now

Make a really long story short a family member of mine (former BMW-ONLY guy) bought a 2008 ES 350 that has developed the flare. Sometimes it is 200-300rpms, sometime it is 1,000 rpms. His dealer and Lexus corporate have both looked at the car and come away with their hands in the air.

Last week they handed him back his car and said, “Yeah it’s flaring but that is how the car is made. Tough luck.”

He is furious to think he paid $45K for a car that shifts like hell, and I am absolutely irate that the company is blowing this off as “operating as designed.” They have determined that this is just how the ES 350 behaves and it is within the guidelines for how the car should operate. I called back to Lexus and they basically told me that he is out of luck and can try to sell the car outright if he is so unhappy with it.

It seems to me that Lexus has realized that this 6AT is an effing piece of garbage and it’s going to cost a lot to replace every one, not to mention that they really have no fix…SO they have deemed it “operating as designed” to get out of it.

Considering my level if straight up pissedoffness about the situation I am considering assisting my uncle in arbitration against Lexus. I will have to start digging up the numerous horror stories that have been posted on Club Lexus and then go from there.

What should I do here? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-10-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-10-08, 01:48 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say you raise hell!

Last edited by farquad; 11-10-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-10-08, 01:51 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lexus ignored alot of issue that shoulda been recalled...the instrument clusters for example, if someone cant see how fast theyre going or how much gas they have then why bother having meters then?
Old 11-10-08, 01:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

What happened to The pursuit of perfection... “operating as designed”
Old 11-10-08, 01:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have it documented.

then, if after warranty expires, and the transmission dies, sue for free replacement.
Old 11-10-08, 01:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Unfortunately, Lexus corporate will have a gag order for your time in their company (part of NDA / termination agreement as with all corporations). I would hire a good lawyer not only for your family member, but also for yourself and becareful what you write on the internet as they can (and will) use it against you to countersue. Good luck.
Old 11-10-08, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I think a lawyer is the only way you'll get any satisfaction at this point. You don't necessarily need to bring your old boss into it, but it seems to me you have grounds that it's a lemon although state laws vary on that.
Old 11-10-08, 02:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It's just shocking to me that they basically know there is a problem and that people are unhappy, but because they really don't have a fix they have deemed it "operating as designed". This is Lexus, not Chevrolet. That level of arrogance is unacceptable in this class of car.
Old 11-10-08, 02:56 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly I think you got a ****ty regional supervisor because this isn't like Lexus to turn their back and say tough luck. I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just stunned on the way they treated it. Keep prying and see maybe you'll get them to bite again.
Old 11-10-08, 03:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You might want to put your post on the ES350 forum, there are people over there with experience with the flare issue.
Old 11-10-08, 05:22 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

try to use the lemon law and if that doesnt work then have your lawyer send them a letter then call them and see what there talking bout then.

or call and act like a lawyer
Old 11-10-08, 05:42 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lawyer ftw!

But on the serious note, I agree with MoLexus. It's unusual that Lexus would reshelve customer satisfaction to low priority. Try a different dealership in your area.
Old 11-10-08, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I simply don't believe that there is no fix, regardless of what the dealer or factory says. It's probably a simple matter of reprogramming the transmission's ECU.

I also had a Mazda, years ago, before electronic transmission controls, that had an occasional flare. Machining a pin in the valve assembly to a new, exact length (as determined by factory engineers), to slightly alter the fluid pressure in the valves, solved the problem.
Old 11-10-08, 05:57 PM
LexFather

If its new, it should qualify for Lemon Law but thats a process in itself.
I've driven multiple ES 350s and I have witnessed this "flare" in some but not all of them. I can see how it would be annoying, especially in a Lexus and a new one to boot. Its not a huge problem but its big enough to have pissed a few people off.

I did think that Lexus had addressed this after the 07 model, I guess I was wrong.

Old 11-10-08, 06:40 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Hmm... I wonder if Toyota/Lexus is beginning to slip. Maybe the pressure of being the biggest automaker in the world is too much?

Quick Reply: FURIOUS with Lexus Corporate right now