Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Lease

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 06:59 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis Lease

Don't want to start the usual Genesis rants or raves but noticed the attached ad in our local paper. It is obviously a V6 with the premium package and the tech package, whatever they are. And of course it wants 5K down. But it certainly looks like an attractive way to get into one.

Before anyone starts with how desperate Hyundai must be to unload these things or that the car is junk, I haven't really spent much time with one up close yet. But the reviews I have scanned indicate that it is a pretty impressive car even when compared with hardware that is much more expensive. I can't claim to have watched much leases but it seems that the Genesis at this lease point would easily out class the like priced competition. Have to look at these at the Auto Shows the end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails Genesis Lease-genesis-1.jpg  
Old 11-07-08, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Jeez Ron we are so similar sometimes its scary. Good find. Amazing though how $299 now requires 5k down today! Just few months ago, it was maybe 3k tops, 2k easy.

I have yet to drive it. I need to make time.

Old 11-07-08, 07:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Jeez Ron we are so similar sometimes its scary. Good find. Amazing though how $299 now requires 5k down today! Just few months ago, it was maybe 3k tops, 2k easy.

This just seems like a very good deal on a very good car. The down is a little steep to me, but am I wrong? 299 for a brand new V6 Genesis with those packages and warranty, etc., seems like a good deal.

I have no idea what we are talking about competing with it price wise but I am of the assumption the Genesis would put it to shame. We aren't talking about LS or 5 or E money here.

In tough times, it just seems like a heckuva deal. And I am looking forward to the SF auto show (Thanksgiving week) to spend some time with it. I can forgive a lot of minor issues at that price point that I wouldn't forgive in something with a higher price tag.
Old 11-07-08, 07:13 PM
LexFather

I think we both agree the Genesis is superb. Now do you see the traditional Hyundai buyer putting 5k down on a car? I don't. I know the Genesis is to appeal to a more affluent demographic but I think if it had a lower down with a higher monthly, well it would do better.

I could be wrong. Hell you can lease a G35 now G37 sedan for $349 a month and have so for sometime, with I think 3k down. That to me is a tough decision.

Old 11-07-08, 07:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Geez, 2.5K down and 299 a month? I would get one for the company to just use for errands for a couple of years.
Old 11-07-08, 08:06 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 611 Likes on 423 Posts

Make time fast, it's a good car

The reasons for this are pretty obvious

1) The economy is still pretty bad

2) The Hyundai name still has a somewhat negative connotation (warranted or not) and when people spend 30k on a car they want more than "just" a Hyundai.

It really is a shame though. I hope the Genesis makes it through more than 1 gen.
Old 11-07-08, 09:26 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yup, 5k is too steep. 2.5k would be a bargain on the Genesis...
Hmm.... ran a quick check on an is250 lease for 24 months online with 5K down. I got > $750/mo. Sounds like a deal to me. I think you will agree the Genesis is > IS250. We all want stuff "cheap" but in today's market I think $2.5K would be unbelievable whereas $5K seems like a decent bargain to me.
Old 11-08-08, 06:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Hmm.... ran a quick check on an is250 lease for 24 months online with 5K down. I got > $750/mo. Sounds like a deal to me. I think you will agree the Genesis is > IS250. We all want stuff "cheap" but in today's market I think $2.5K would be unbelievable whereas $5K seems like a decent bargain to me.
I do believe there has been a $349 or $399 lease on the IS for sometime now with 3k down.....

Old 11-08-08, 07:35 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I do believe there has been a $349 or $399 lease on the IS for sometime now with 3k down.....
Fair enough, haven't followed them that closely and I don't get near that with the lexus financial calculator though. Call them equal @ 299 though and I think Genesis is still a fantastic deal not a meh deal.
Old 11-08-08, 01:50 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I was curious how the Genesis lease stood up and what kind of competition it is up against at that price point. I'll have to take everyone's word for the IS250 lease price, just don't know what it is. And while the IS 250 has it's strengths, my impression from the reviews so far is that the Genesis is quite a bit bigger vehicle, at least in practical interior dimensions if not outside. I would hope so as the IS is not anything I would consider because of that.

Still looking forward to spending some time with the Genesis. Wouldn't hurt if Hyundai would publicize the lease if it is national other than have it just be noticed casually as I saw it.
Old 11-08-08, 04:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the national deal they're advertising on their website:
*Lease financing available on 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 model code B0422. Lease offer available only at participating Hyundai dealers. Lease offer not available the states of NM, TX, OK, LA, AR, MS, AL, and TN. Offer ends December 1, 2008. Monthly lease payments of $399.00 for 27 months based on MSRP of $33,000.00 (includes freight). $2,599 due at lease signing (includes $2,200 cap cost reduction.) Total lease payments are $10,773.00.

The best way to make leases easier to compare is to either compare by multiplying the payment by the month into a lump sum or dividing the cash due at signing by the months and building it into the payment. In the case of the deal posted by the OP the payments on the car jump to about 500/month.

This is on a car with a 39,250 MSRP before destination.

So just compare it to other car leases on cars selling around 40k... is 0 down 500/month good?

To me it sounds good, not amazing, but good... especially considering the value that the Genesis already packs into itself for 40k. I guess what I'm saying is that there's already great value in the MSRP... tack on a good lease rate to that and that's impressive!
Old 11-08-08, 04:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Here's the national deal they're advertising on their website:
*Lease financing available on 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 model code B0422. Lease offer available only at participating Hyundai dealers. Lease offer not available the states of NM, TX, OK, LA, AR, MS, AL, and TN. Offer ends December 1, 2008. Monthly lease payments of $399.00 for 27 months based on MSRP of $33,000.00 (includes freight). $2,599 due at lease signing (includes $2,200 cap cost reduction.) Total lease payments are $10,773.00.

The best way to make leases easier to compare is to either compare by multiplying the payment by the month into a lump sum or dividing the cash due at signing by the months and building it into the payment. In the case of the deal posted by the OP the payments on the car jump to about 500/month.

This is on a car with a 39,250 MSRP before destination.

So just compare it to other car leases on cars selling around 40k... is 0 down 500/month good?

To me it sounds good, not amazing, but good... especially considering the value that the Genesis already packs into itself for 40k. I guess what I'm saying is that there's already great value in the MSRP... tack on a good lease rate to that and that's impressive!
Thanks very much for the analysis. That is really the kind of info I was looking for.

A good lease deal, or price, on a car you don't want is no deal IMO. But the Genesis really has me intrigued. From what I have read, this looked like a pretty tempting deal on a pretty competitive car.
Old 11-08-08, 05:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts

i would wait few more months, and i will bet you will get even better deal then.
Old 11-13-08, 12:07 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh. Like you kinda mentioned - the Genesis isn't really FOR the traditional Hyundai buyer. It's meant for a more affluent demographic that CAN afford a $5k down payment. You should check my site some time. You'll find a LOT of people coming to Hyundai from BMW, Lexus and Infiniti - and I'm not talking OLD models.

As for the G37 sedan - it's a very nice car - but different than the Genesis - which is much more roomy and comfortable. It's really just not intended to attract the same crowd...

I think we both agree the Genesis is superb. Now do you see the traditional Hyundai buyer putting 5k down on a car? I don't. I know the Genesis is to appeal to a more affluent demographic but I think if it had a lower down with a higher monthly, well it would do better.

I could be wrong. Hell you can lease a G35 now G37 sedan for $349 a month and have so for sometime, with I think 3k down. That to me is a tough decision.
To Allen.. Again, as I mentioned above:

You should check my site some time. You'll find a LOT of people coming to Hyundai from BMW, Lexus and Infiniti - and I'm not talking OLD models. This has never happened before. These people are trading in their top-tier brand name vehicles for "just a Hyundai"...

Originally Posted by Allen K
Make time fast, it's a good car

The reasons for this are pretty obvious

1) The economy is still pretty bad

2) The Hyundai name still has a somewhat negative connotation (warranted or not) and when people spend 30k on a car they want more than "just" a Hyundai.

It really is a shame though. I hope the Genesis makes it through more than 1 gen.
Old 11-13-08, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Considering that a loaded Genesis, if you bought one, will probably go out the door for 40K or more (I've seen V6 models in that range, much less V8s), I don't see where 5K down on a lease is really that much. This car is not an econobox, and is certainly not aimed at the same people who are buying Accents and Elantras.

Quick Reply: Genesis Lease