Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding Dallas cop hits, kills 10-year-old on bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 11:17 PM
inLine4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Dallas cops only use their light when they don't want to wait at a Red light at night. They can get away with anything here. Police corruption.
Old 10-26-08, 11:29 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids do dumb things as we all did but if anyone here killed a child going over the speed limit the storyline would include words like modified Lexus, reckless driving, street racing etc. and you know where your @ss would be headed, the cop should serve the same fate as anyone else, PRISON.
Old 10-26-08, 11:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

How about if the stupid cop hit an adult walking down the street or someone riding a bike. Its the cops fault.
Old 10-27-08, 07:18 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

the way he was riding the bike across the road, if the cop didn't hit, the other car would have.

Last edited by TLe2006; 10-27-08 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 07:28 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 10-27-08, 07:33 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Very sad. The amazing thing is there didn't appear to be any reduction in speed or change in attitude of the car from when you first see the kid on the bike to when he hits him. It's like he never even saw him. :-(
Old 10-27-08, 08:19 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very tragic story indeed. Yes the cop was at fault for violating the set speed policy for speed by the department; but let's also take a good look at the parents of this kid as well. Truthfully, yes, if it were one of us we would definately be behind bars for involuntary manslaughter. From the reaction of the car, it looks like he never even saw the kid until after he had made contact with him; may explain the non reduction of speed. Chances are he took his eyes off the road for a split second (to check the nav, comp, etc) and then boom,impact!!! We all know just how quickly road conditions can change in the blink of an eye(trust me,,as a trucker I see this every day), and this serves as a grim reminder of that fact.

Consequently,, where were the parents? Who lets a 10 year old ride their bike at night on a large roadway such as that one?? Honestly, at night, I GUARANTEE that the kid saw the headlights, or the light coming from the headlights WAAAAAYYYYY in advance to riding across that street; so why didnt he wait? It looks as if he was actually trying to beat the car's path. I am not trying to defend either party, as it was a truly tragic event. Kid is dead, due to poor decision making; family has lost a child due to SEVERE LACK OF SUPERVISION; and an officer now has to live with the knowledge that an innocent child has died as a result of his negligent action. Yes, punitive action, as well as some time should be served, but the torture this cop is gonna have to live with for a lifetime is a punishment which is gonna be eternal.
Old 10-27-08, 02:55 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I don't think anybody said it was cool.

A terrible tragedy, no doubt.

Would the kid have survived being struck by a car going the speed limit?
Would he have survived if he wore a helmet? Reflective clothing?
Lots of questions, infinite variables.

What a strange place and time to ride a bike. A 10 year old should know better.
In my opinion, the parents are more at fault than the officer.

The reality is that accidents happen. Unfortunate, but true.

If the officer gets punished, so should the parents.
Totally agree why is your 10 year old out at 800pm on a 4 lane highway. No helmet no parental supervision. Not sure if the cop was responding but sometimes cops turn off there sirens when they get close to a call especially a burglary etc.. I know you all have seen it. Not trying to excuse the cop but damn he got screwed. Very sad.
Old 10-27-08, 05:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1
Very tragic story indeed. Yes the cop was at fault for violating the set speed policy for speed by the department; but let's also take a good look at the parents of this kid as well. Truthfully, yes, if it were one of us we would definately be behind bars for involuntary manslaughter. From the reaction of the car, it looks like he never even saw the kid until after he had made contact with him; may explain the non reduction of speed. Chances are he took his eyes off the road for a split second (to check the nav, comp, etc) and then boom,impact!!! We all know just how quickly road conditions can change in the blink of an eye(trust me,,as a trucker I see this every day), and this serves as a grim reminder of that fact.

Consequently,, where were the parents? Who lets a 10 year old ride their bike at night on a large roadway such as that one?? Honestly, at night, I GUARANTEE that the kid saw the headlights, or the light coming from the headlights WAAAAAYYYYY in advance to riding across that street; so why didnt he wait? It looks as if he was actually trying to beat the car's path. I am not trying to defend either party, as it was a truly tragic event. Kid is dead, due to poor decision making; family has lost a child due to SEVERE LACK OF SUPERVISION; and an officer now has to live with the knowledge that an innocent child has died as a result of his negligent action. Yes, punitive action, as well as some time should be served, but the torture this cop is gonna have to live with for a lifetime is a punishment which is gonna be eternal.
You summed it up perfectly!! Well thought from every angle, as there is plenty of blame from all parties involved. Sad situation all the way around. I don't see how anyone can possibly minimize the officer's actions. Though accidental, there is no question, that he should be held liable for his negligent behavior. No one is above the law. The child's parents now have a lifetime to answer the question of why their 10 yr old child was unnattended at night on a bike. A true tragedy anyway you look at it.
Old 10-27-08, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

the parents will be punished by the loss of theirchild, but the cop needs to be put away for his wreckles driving. I hate the way cops get the easy out for commiting tragic crimes like this because they are on duty. BS That cop needs to be in jail. suspension and lack of pay is not nearly enough.
Old 10-28-08, 06:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by inLine4
Some Dallas cops only use their light when they don't want to wait at a Red light at night. They can get away with anything here. Police corruption.
If you think that's exclusive to Dallas, you are quite mistaken.

Cops do that everywhere.

One time a cop with no sirens or lights just highbeamed everyone in the left lane (2 lane each direction) to get out of his way.

Cops use lights just to make U-Turns.
Old 10-28-08, 07:48 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I was slowing down to a yellow light and this cop coming up on the other lane turns his lights on to pass the red light. I thought it was an emergency considering he was going pretty fast. Come to find out he's at a Citgo gas station about quarter mile up filling up his cruiser :/
Old 10-28-08, 08:19 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1

you took the words right outta my mouth. and the kid was riding around 10pm not 8pm
Old 10-28-08, 09:23 PM
SC904
Driver

is it me or is the cop actually trying to hit him in the video? Looks like the cop was driving pretty straight for a second and then he starts going off toward the double yellow line. maybe it's just me ....
Old 10-28-08, 09:49 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the parents will be punished by the loss of theirchild, but the cop needs to be put away for his wreckles driving. I hate the way cops get the easy out for commiting tragic crimes like this because they are on duty. BS That cop needs to be in jail. suspension and lack of pay is not nearly enough.

Seriously think about what you're saying.... It's pretty obvious that you've had some sort of issues with Johnny Law at one point or another... It's more than obvious that the kid was at fault... Watch the video again. So, the cop was speeding, I'm almost 100% assured that the car that was oncoming was too. Not many cars follow the speed limit on a DARK and EMPTY road... Sure... maybe not 30+ MPH over the limit, but maybe a few here and there. Anyhow, the speed isn't the issue. A car/pedestrian impact at 40 mph is no more survivable than one at 70. Your posts make it seem as if this was a case of premeditated murder just because the guy was wearing a badge. It's not just black and white because he's a cop (which apparently can't do anything right by tone of your posts).

This is and was an ACCIDENT. If the situations were where the guy driving WASN'T a police officer and had just hit a kid at night riding his bicycle in the middle of the road and he did what he was supposed to (Stop and call for help), the driver AT most would be punished for driving 30 mph over the limit and POSSIBLY investigated for vehicular manslaughter (which usually doesn't include jail time in the right circumstances). THAT'S IT. And this isn't just wild guessing... a similar situation like this occurred around here and as tragic as it was... THE KID WAS RIDING HIS BIKE BETWEEN LANES WHEN STRUCK.

The situation sucks... anyway you slice it, it's just not good. I can tell you that the officer involved hasn't had a good nights sleep since the incident and the same goes for the kids family. But, it took place and what's done is done. I'm betting that if the driver WASN'T a police officer, no one but those parties involved would give it more than a second look.

Lastly, for those that wonder why the officer didn't slow down... Replace the kid with a deer and imagine that you are driving at highway speeds. You see the deer for a FLASH and then it's over. If you can HONESTLY say that you would have had a better reaction or been able to prevent it, I, as well as anyone else that has had a run in with a deer at those speeds, can HONESTLY tell you that you are full of crap.