Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Audi S4 saloon Starting at $45,900 in USA...(updated)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 02:23 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
SH-AWD is nowhere near as advanced as this latest generation of Quattro (found in the S4). To be fair though, Audi doesn't offer torque-vectoring on their similarly priced (To the TL) A4 models.
That Acura comment was in reference to the way he described the X6 system, not Audi's

Last edited by KINGLEX; 10-24-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 04:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't understand why some of you hold 0-60 times and the number of gears in the gearbox as some sort of all-end means to quantifying if a car is great or not. The driving experience is more than just a 0.2-0.3 neglible difference in the sprint to 60. Get out behind your computer screens and go drive the beasts!

As far as Audi styling looking like every Audi in the last 15 years, Audi styling has taken an evolutionary step ever since the TT/R8, and the new A4/A5 are clearly indicitive of that. These cars look better than a comparable IS/TL yet still have interior quality that is among the world's best. Nothing wrong with sticking to your design core and not going off the deep-end (Acura).
I think IS looks as good as the new A4 sedan, if not better. Also, have you realized that Audi vehicles incorporate the same front end look for the whole lineup, not enough differetiation in front end styling among themselves. When you look at A4 and A6, wow how similar!!!!! But when you look at the other luxury automakers, IS is so different from GS which is different from LS, 3-series is different from 5 and 7, M-B C-class is very different from E and S. Now that is difficult, making them look different and yet you could tell they are from the same company. For Audi, they sure look like they come from the same company, but they look like one same car. As far as the interior, I have sat in the newest A5 and A4, impeccable is all I can say.
Old 10-24-08, 06:04 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with DSG, that car is an uber-win in my eyes.

have you guys ever driven one of the audi/vw's with the DSG trans?

that thing shifts like lightning. Wish it wasn't exclusive to just those cars.
Old 10-24-08, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I think IS looks as good as the new A4 sedan, if not better. Also, have you realized that Audi vehicles incorporate the same front end look for the whole lineup, not enough differetiation in front end styling among themselves. When you look at A4 and A6, wow how similar!!!!! But when you look at the other luxury automakers, IS is so different from GS which is different from LS, 3-series is different from 5 and 7, M-B C-class is very different from E and S. Now that is difficult, making them look different and yet you could tell they are from the same company. For Audi, they sure look like they come from the same company, but they look like one same car. As far as the interior, I have sat in the newest A5 and A4, impeccable is all I can say.
Call me what you want but the IS is IMO the best looking car in its class. It clearly sacrificed rear seat room in the process.

Old 10-24-08, 11:33 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well for me personally this car is a winner. I have always loved audis. More imporatantly, if this car turns out to be tuner friendly ill def be trading my better look IS for the S4. Have u guys seen the what an upgraded exhaust ecu and intake did to the new RS6? If the S4 could get a remotely similar power percentage increase bye bye lexus
Old 08-13-09, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Starting at $45,900*

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/10..._Audi_A4S4.pdf

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/s4_sedan.html

Old 08-13-09, 09:58 PM
LexFather

I think the pricing is pretty good but will climb to 50k easy with the options I see. To me you get a "different" sedan than a usual 335 or IS 350. They would need their M/F sport kits but still the S4 has different seats, etc and has AWD and is bigger.

This is what is amazing. The Acura TSX 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder is what a 5 or 6 grand difference and you gain an old engine and a badge and 18" wheels. The A4 2.0 Prestige is 40k and a 3.2 is $43, 700. So the S4 is only 5 grand more than the 2.0 with some options and 2 grand more than the old 3.2 liter. That is a great value!!

Old 08-14-09, 04:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In regards to styling, that car looks like every Audi the past 15 years. THing is, its a good design to stay with and "touch up" and not stray far away from like BMW/Benz have done. The interior also looks like most Audi interiors.

I am sure guys are going to modify this S/C like the old B5.

Overall, great job Audi. My 2nd fav luxury brand behind Lexus!
Although the math was a little "confused" in the article, the numbers are correct... about 30 mpg on the highway. My Audi buddy (3 S4s for him) drove this last fall in Germany and has held off on an S5 purchase until this one arrives in the US. Personally, cannot wait to drive it!!!

First X6 hybrid, now this.... I'm smiling more that our project got delayed again

Not on my "list" since it's not here yet, but agree with you 100% Sick... and closing the gap on Lexus...
Old 08-14-09, 06:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

but you'll never see one at a dealer with that MSRP....I had my wife's TT serviced yesterday at the dealer and there were 3 A4's with MSRP's more than that.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-14-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 07:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

First X6 hybrid, now this.... I'm smiling more that our project got delayed again

Not on my "list" since it's not here yet, but agree with you 100% Sick... and closing the gap on Lexus...
No Cobra? I called it!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-09, 07:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
No Cobra? I called it!!!!!!!!
LOL... yep, lost my allotment for August...

CL members... please... continue to pummel me on my loss and remind me of my SIX FINAL CHOICES
Old 08-14-09, 07:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

$50000 + is more of a realistic price for the S4.
Old 08-14-09, 07:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking that these will probably be going for $54K or so when appropriately optioned, which puts them just short of IS F and M3 territory. That makes me wonder if the new RS 4 will be priced as high as the old one was...?

To be honest, I don't know that I would spend an extra $10K on an S4 over an IS 350 or 335i. IS 350/335i with M/F upgrades would still not close the price gap and could probably outperform the Audi.

Still...the A4 is a very odd car to me, so this is not necessarily surprising. It's a good bit larger than the competition (almost midsize) and they dropped the 3.2L V6 version. Effectively, that leaves the A4 2.0T to compete against the upper and lower end models from competitors because the S4 is priced significantly more than the C350, IS 350, or 335i. The S4 is priced between the C350, IS 350, and 335i, and the C63, IS F, and M3 which makes me wonder if buyers will either fork over the extra cash for the high performance versions, save some and go for the top end 6 cyl models, or actually spring for the Audi.

It remains to be seen.
Old 08-14-09, 07:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just to be fair, an BMW 335 with sport package and AWD is about $53000 MSRP, which is about the same as the S4 and I think Audi has a better interior. The IS350 as nice as it is, is not in the same class as the S4 and also the IS350 doesnt offer AWD.
Old 08-14-09, 07:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just to be fair, an BMW 335 with sport package and AWD is about $53000 MSRP, which is about the same as the S4 and I think Audi has a better interior. The IS350 as nice as it is, is not in the same class as the S4 and also the IS350 doesnt offer AWD.
This car is priced equivalent to the 335 x drive. My 335 x drive is 54k plus equipped minus M sport package. Both the S4 & 335 will be battling for supremacy in this segement. The 335 x drive is quicker & more composed than the last gen s4 & does 0-60 (if that matters) under 5 seconds.. Both are beautiful cars.. Who here will be the first to buy the Audi?

Quick Reply: New Audi S4 saloon Starting at $45,900 in USA...(updated)