Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 MB E-class: Official or Rendering??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 06:09 PM
LexFather

so its going to look like a C-class with quad lamps....wow....

Old 08-18-08, 11:18 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyundai and Cadillac had an orgy with Mercedes, lol, the front dosent look that bad, it looks mean, i'll take an analog clock over the digital clock thats on the cheapest Toyota to the flagship Lexus
Old 08-20-08, 04:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'll wait to make claims about quality until I can sit in a new E Class, run my fingers over the dash, wood, plastic, leather, seams, etc. Push on the surfaces and see how much give there is, examine contact points between doors and dash, fitment of trim and alignment, and overall execution. I have done that in the GS, and am thoroughly impressed with the quality and overall feel of that interior, except for the center console which slides all too willingly fore and aft.
That's the most effective means of judging a cars interior quality - and spending time inside the car on a daily basis.

If the C Class is any indication, then I wouldn't be holding my breath on the interior of the 2010 E. Yes, those pictures make the wood look nice and shiney and you can see some of the details better than the blurry spy photo, but maybe you haven't felt the hard and cheap center console in the new C class...because this doesn't look much different from the air vents down to the cup holders. Grainy black plastic with a sea of little black buttons.
I few weeks ago I was still the owner of a W204 C class. I've never had a problem with the interior at all. Once you drive the car on a daily basis you actually see that the interior is well made and that the materials are completely acceptable. Mercedes interiors, I think, are generally very conservative and the C class interior is probably one of the most conservative and bland interiors in the Mercedes range in my opinion.

My sister has a Lexus IS250 and I can honestly say that there is virtually no difference in quality and material usage. Mercedes prefers black plastic and Lexus prefers silver plastic for their center consoles. Big deal. The plastic quality of both cars is virtually the same from a feel point of view - just the colors are different. The C class cockpit might visually appear cheap at first glance, but when you spend time inside the car you'll quickly learn that this isn't the case.

I will also note that I prefer the Lexus design which flows smoothly from the top of the dash down to the gear shifter and has a superb attention to detail on the shape and details of the doors, steering wheel, gauges, and ergonomics. That said, design and quality are two different things. I do not care for the upright and squared off look of the new E Class, but that aside, if it is built like the interior of the C Class then chalk another one up for the 3 year old GS.
Mercedes seems to be going retro with their interiors because the upcoming E class interior reminds me of that late 1980s and early 1990s E class (the boxy one with the 300E, 400E and 500E and some diesel models): boxy and yet typical Mercedes. Conservative, yet elegant.

Again, the interior of the C class is fantastic. I know I sound crazy here but as a former W204 owner, which was a company car, I drove this vehicle on a daily basis and to me the interior was well-made and the materials completely appropriate for any entry-level premium car. Compared to its rivals, the interior looks boring and bland, but trust me, quality and material wise it is on the same level as the competition.

I'm just being objective here, telling you my opinion and at the same time respecting yours. I have no allegiance to Mercedes. I like some of their cars and I tend to get them as my company cars (although I might try an Audi in six months) because me and my girlfriend drive a lot and Mercedes' cars well-suited for such journeys across long distances, especially my new E230.
Old 08-20-08, 04:44 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Just found the same pictures on Autobild. They finally put them up.

Although, looking at them they appear to have been digitally edited, meaning photoshop.

Old 08-20-08, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LOL!
Wow I never really noticed the GS interior...but that pic is...uh well...maybe it's just a bad picture. Is that the current gen GS interior?
Yes, don't you think they could have used a little more wood or chrome and less acreage of featureless plastic?
Old 08-20-08, 01:17 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

^^^I really don't know, but it definitely wouldn't hurt it. I'm sure the quality is amazing...but it's just boring and uninspiring. It lacks something...I just can't put my finger on it. I bet it looks pretty good with dark leathers. Something about it makes it look more Toyota, than Lexus though...I'm thinking it's the wood between the seats and on the door.
Old 08-20-08, 06:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LOL!
^^^I really don't know, but it definitely wouldn't hurt it. I'm sure the quality is amazing...but it's just boring and uninspiring. It lacks something...I just can't put my finger on it.
No you've got it. Boring and uninspiring.

Look at the 2GS here... better? I think so.

The passenger side could use some more details, but other than that it's still great.

Old 08-20-08, 06:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to agree with bit on this one . I still get so many compliments on the interior of my car, and in a lot of ways I do like it better than the 3GS.

In fact, I might say the 2GS is one of the best interiors ever put in any luxury car when you consider quality, design, features, and fit and finish. Then again, I could be bias
Attached Thumbnails 2010 MB E-class: Official or Rendering??-031-2-.jpg  
Old 08-20-08, 06:50 PM
LexFather

I do find the 2GS interior to fit me like a glove. I mean nearly perfect. I just wish for more side bolstering. The wood trim was distinctive running up the console as it did. The Optitron gauges are awesome to look at and functional.
I find the 3GS to be very stylish, so styling, people don't even notice the details. For instance the doors have an S line that mimics the S line on the rear bumper. However the doors have less wood. The gauges are just plain, especially compared to say the new IS or LS.

I can fit in the 2GS and have my arm hang out the window perfectly. With the 3GS (and most new cars) my arm is uncomfortable on the door for window down driving.

Still, I would say I prefer the 3GS.

I wish we got the JDM "Passionate Black" interior

Old 08-20-08, 07:12 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

it looks like a cross of the traditional GS head lights... a hyundai grill and rear... and caddy CTS side profile....

dumb car...
Old 08-21-08, 08:53 AM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Wow bitkahuna, I agree completely. Those pics of the 2GS interiors look reallllllly good. MPLexus301, your interior looks amazing.

The 3GS interior looks much better with dark colors.
Old 08-21-08, 09:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I wish we got the JDM "Passionate Black" interior
I think they should at least offer something like a PB special edition with that interior here . . .
Old 08-21-08, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think they should at least offer something like a PB special edition with that interior here . . .
Peanut Butter?