Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mercury Done? (Official, dead)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 08:23 AM
LexFather

^^^ Good points. However if Ford is serious about Lincoln they will truly try to separate the brand and stop treating it as Ford plus. A lot of Americans want American luxury and Lincoln needs to cater to those people.

Old 05-28-10, 08:30 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

All the dealers around my neck of southern California sells all three brands, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. I do not see business being affected much. They just need to change their signs.
Old 05-28-10, 10:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I cant think of one car that Mercury has made in the last 3 decades that would even raise my interest let alone to drop 30k on one. I am surprised this branch hasn't been lopped off
Old 05-28-10, 07:00 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many people, though, who cannot afford the model they want new often end up buying pre-owned or older versions of the same vehicle. That's what I first did when I was young.

You're not kidding. American-market Merkurs depreciated faster than some cars police-impounded for drug operation.

It was the same way with the British Sterlings, which came out about the same time. The Sterling was a interesting mixture of a reliable Honda Accord drivetrain and classic British body/interior/coachwork. It failed to catch on in America, though, and was pulled after just a few years.
Merkur's were certainly a bad investment new, but an excellent bargin used. The car's were a victim of bad marketing, a strange name (even pronounced incorrectly in the TV Ad's), and being sold at LM stores.

Wasn't the Sterling based on the 1G Acura Legend?
Old 05-28-10, 11:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merkur was never a excellent bargain used. Crappy cars like that are cheap used cars which is it's main positive attribute.
Old 05-29-10, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by grondie
Wasn't the Sterling based on the 1G Acura Legend?
Yes, that's true.....sorry if my earlier post indicated otherwise. Despite the high-quality Honda/Acura platform and drivetrain, Sterling managed to screw up the rest of the car with unreliable Lucas electronics, earlier-than-expected corrosion, and otherwise sloppy build quality. It left the U.S. market for a reason.
Old 06-02-10, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Report: Mercury's demise coming at 3 PM EST

Report: Mercury's demise coming at 3 PM EST

We're a few minutes away from hopping onto Ford's monthly sales call, but according to the Detroit News, the Blue Oval has called a press conference at 3 PM EST that could announce the demise of the Mercury division. Full report to come as soon as we hear more...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/02/r...g-at-3-pm-est/
Old 06-02-10, 01:28 PM
LexFather

http://jalopnik.com/5549458/

Yup official.

Old 06-02-10, 01:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It's interesting that for both May (9,128/7,752) and YTD (41,680/37,444) Mercury has outsold Lincoln...

I suppose they are hoping all of the Merc buyers switch over to Lincoln or Ford??
Old 06-02-10, 01:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's interesting that for both May (9,128/7,752) and YTD (41,680/37,444) Mercury has outsold Lincoln...

I suppose they are hoping all of the Merc buyers switch over to Lincoln or Ford??
To your point, both are now very unhealthy brands.

Lincoln is thought to have higher hopes of profitable sales, but that's not a given especially with the current weak product line.

Mercury, RIP.
Old 06-02-10, 01:54 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

This is a bad decision, in my opinion. Mercury isn't suffering in sales the way Saab was suffering. Even without advertising, Mercury was doing fairly well for itself, given its limited lineup. It just seems as if Ford has decided to give up on it and devote all its resources to Ford and Lincoln. However, I believe there is a market for understated near-luxury vehicles, like Buick, Mercury, Volvo, and dare I say, Acura. Do they really believe their customers are either going to step up to Lincoln or step down to Ford? I wouldn't bet on it. I think they may lose potential sales to Buick, Volvo, & Acura by doing this.
Old 06-02-10, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Later Mercury !!! You will not be missed.

I do think this is a good move for Ford. They need to trim the fat and mercury is all fat
Old 06-02-10, 02:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Long overdue, nothing in their product line raises an eyebrow. Here come the petition drives......................

There are no standalone Mercury dealers -- all 1,712 Mercury dealers are paired with other Ford franchises. There are 276 dealerships that have just the Lincoln and Mercury brands. Ford says in markets where there isn't enough demand for just a Lincoln dealership, the automaker will help the dealers either pair with a Ford dealership or buy them out.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-02-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Long overdue, nothing in their product line raises an eyebrow. Here come the petition drives......................
Exactly, a well run business would have carved this crap off years ago. These are supposed to be profitable car companies building shareholder wealth, not perpetual bleeders.
Old 06-02-10, 02:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
To your point, both are now very unhealthy brands.

Lincoln is thought to have higher hopes of profitable sales, but that's not a given especially with the current weak product line.

Mercury, RIP.
Yes, Lincoln sales are certainly lackluster at best with their confusing MK? lineup.

They're not sharing Ford's sales success and with their all new styling the outlook isn't too hot.

Quick Reply: Is Mercury Done? (Official, dead)