Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 11:54 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a 10year/100k powertrain warranty and a 5year/60k bumper to bumper I could over look some things, especially for a V8, I just hope it feels planted
Old 05-24-08, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since nobody has posted any interior shots, I'll do that now:

These are Google images, though, and cannot be guaranteed 100% accurate.

Old 05-24-08, 12:06 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I've got a feeling this car might steal some sales from the Acura RL, or Toyota Avalon as well.
Old 05-24-08, 12:27 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sphy1005
I agree with mmarshall. I would want a soft ride if i buy a sedan.

Thumbs up for the car, but it'd be nice if they just made a luxury brand name like Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti. Hyundai-?
Agreed. Well, apparently they're still considering it. I've heard possibly by 2012, but who knows for sure. I think it really depends on what their target is for this car. If it's an attempt to take away sales from the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima, it could be a winner if the price is right (and it looks as if it might be). But I just can't see someone opting for a "Hyundai" over a Lexus/Infiniti/BMW anything. Again, it really depends on what their expectations are. If they price it anywhere over 35k, it won't sell, so they need to be smart about this.
Old 05-24-08, 01:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the problem for Hyundai creating an upscale luxury brand is that it typically requires cutting edge technology, and offering advanced options and features.

Buying Toyota and Honda's 5 year old hardware and parts won't cut it against Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW. Not even close.
Old 05-24-08, 02:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Agreed. Well, apparently they're still considering it. I've heard possibly by 2012, but who knows for sure. I think it really depends on what their target is for this car. If it's an attempt to take away sales from the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima, it could be a winner if the price is right (and it looks as if it might be). But I just can't see someone opting for a "Hyundai" over a Lexus/Infiniti/BMW anything. Again, it really depends on what their expectations are. If they price it anywhere over 35k, it won't sell, so they need to be smart about this.
I would not bunch Infiniti in that catagory. They are very value driven like Acura and the Genesis clearly is value driven as well, thus the Genesis will sway more of those buyers interested in those cars. It doesn't help that the Genesis does have a lot of G35 styling cues, imo.

Also the Genesis will compete better against brands that are not as prestigous and are less statement vehicles. I doubt that person that always wanted a 3 will get a Genesis, they will rather buy a base model 328 with cloth and no sunroof than ANY Hyundai. Now with say Infiniti that is different as its badge power simply is on the low end of the totem pole. Thus a buyer will give a stronger consideration to owning a "Hyundi" b/c owning an "Infinit" is not like saying "BMW".

Old 05-24-08, 02:57 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

The dash looks like a BMW copy...(same as the new accord)
But leather wrapped dash
Old 05-24-08, 03:00 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

seems like they are copying a bunch of design features in other luxury cars... i wonder how many corners did they cut though...
Old 05-24-08, 03:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're missing the forest for the trees. Firm suspensions and tires are more suited to those who want sports sedans, not ride comfort. People who buy Hyundais are usually not looking for sport-sedan performance.....that is not Hyundai's forte. One of the reasons Hyundai has done as well as it has lately (alone with better quality and a onger warranty) is the fact that its suspensions don't beat you up on rough roads like some other cars do. A lot of people want that.....it's NOT just a 90's thing.

Not yet at least. People buying a Hyundai in the past were not looking for a luxury car either. Now that have that choice. People who buy luxury cars in the past were not looking to buy a Hyundai. Perhaps now they will. It is a new buyers target for Hyundai. I like this Genesis. If I were to make the jump and buy this car over an Infiniti (I'm surprised they used the Infiniti M as a comparison as that is tough competition) it will be because it has a nice firm suspension, good value, good power, good fit and finish, and good handling. Notice I didn't say great of anything. I don't expect the first try to be great. But if it is good, its worth trying for me. However, if it has a 60s Cadillac suspension and probably wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with, and if nothing I'd probably skip this car.
Old 05-24-08, 07:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I've got a feeling this car might steal some sales from the Acura RL, or Toyota Avalon as well.
that's not saying much.
the RL sales suck!

i'll test drive this biotch when it comes out. I'm sure the salesman won't mind if i thrash it around.
Old 05-24-08, 08:23 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I like the fact that there isnt a badge anywhere on the car, or maybe im blind...i LIKE that.
Old 05-25-08, 03:20 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I would not bunch Infiniti in that catagory.
Really? I would.

They are very value driven like Acura and the Genesis clearly is value driven as well, thus the Genesis will sway more of those buyers interested in those cars. It doesn't help that the Genesis does have a lot of G35 styling cues, imo.
I don't know what you're referring to as model-for-model, Infinitis cost just about the same as any comparable Lexus. We're talking maybe a difference of 1 or 2 thousand, depending on the model, but I doubt anyone is opting for an Infiniti over a Lexus because of its "value". Now, as far as someone choosing an Infiniti over a BMW, then yes, they are getting a much better value because they can essentially have just about the same handling, same or better features and a much nice interior for a lot less (not to mention better reliability).

The Genesis may take away from Acura sales as they are clearly a notch below Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Benz, & Audi. I see the Genesis competing with cars from Buick, Chrysler, Acura, Lincoln, & Saab, and the Avalon & Maxima. That's about it.

Also the Genesis will compete better against brands that are not as prestigous and are less statement vehicles. I doubt that person that always wanted a 3 will get a Genesis, they will rather buy a base model 328 with cloth and no sunroof than ANY Hyundai. Now with say Infiniti that is different as its badge power simply is on the low end of the totem pole. Thus a buyer will give a stronger consideration to owning a "Hyundi" b/c owning an "Infinit" is not like saying "BMW".
I don't know how things are down in Atlanta, but up here in New York (especially long island), the streets are flooded with Infinitis. I see more G35s/G37s than I do Lexus ES350s or ISs. Of course, there are also tons of BMWs and MBs (not as much Audi). Brand & image are very important to many folks up here and I don't know of many people that think Infiniti has any less "badge power" than the others. You personally may feel differently however.
Old 05-25-08, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Really? I would.

I don't know what you're referring to as model-for-model, Infinitis cost just about the same as any comparable Lexus. We're talking maybe a difference of 1 or 2 thousand, depending on the model, but I doubt anyone is opting for an Infiniti over a Lexus because of its "value". Now, as far as someone choosing an Infiniti over a BMW, then yes, they are getting a much better value because they can essentially have just about the same handling, same or better features and a much nice interior for a lot less (not to mention better reliability).

The Genesis may take away from Acura sales as they are clearly a notch below Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Benz, & Audi. I see the Genesis competing with cars from Buick, Chrysler, Acura, Lincoln, & Saab, and the Avalon & Maxima. That's about it.

I don't know how things are down in Atlanta, but up here in New York (especially long island), the streets are flooded with Infinitis. I see more G35s/G37s than I do Lexus ES350s or ISs. Of course, there are also tons of BMWs and MBs (not as much Audi). Brand & image are very important to many folks up here and I don't know of many people that think Infiniti has any less "badge power" than the others. You personally may feel differently however.
Its not how I "personally" feel its what I know. That is the way it is sorry. Infiniti is never mentioned among the elite. Hell just go to Ferrari Chat or something "what the hell is an Infinity"?

You seen the Audi ad with the new A5/S5 where they actually showed who they considered the status quo was in the luxury arena.

They showed BMW/Benz/Lexus. That says a lot, when your competitor acknowledges in a commercial, you 3 are the big dogs.

You are letting personal feelings about this brand cloud your judgment, explaining "what you see". Infiniti's are thousands cheaper in their MSRP and their leases are even cheaper than BMW. That is a fact, nothing to take offense about. They know they have to sell that way.

This is not saying they are bad at all, just that since their image is lesser than the big 3, then people will consider the Genesis more than the more established and revered brands.

Old 05-25-08, 10:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not how I "personally" feel its what I know. That is the way it is sorry. Infiniti is never mentioned among the elite. Hell just go to Ferrari Chat or something "what the hell is an Infinity"?

You seen the Audi ad with the new A5/S5 where they actually showed who they considered the status quo was in the luxury arena.

They showed BMW/Benz/Lexus. That says a lot, when your competitor acknowledges in a commercial, you 3 are the big dogs.

You are letting personal feelings about this brand cloud your judgment, explaining "what you see". Infiniti's are thousands cheaper in their MSRP and their leases are even cheaper than BMW. That is a fact, nothing to take offense about. They know they have to sell that way.

This is not saying they are bad at all, just that since their image is lesser than the big 3, then people will consider the Genesis more than the more established and revered brands.

I agree. This is fact. Mercedes and Lexus, and Porsche have the highest brand image and status. I can see that. I also believe they make some of the best cars in their respective class. With Infiniti, I don't think they have the high status brand image, but I think buyers who see that and dismiss them are making a big mistake. I think Infiniti is starting to make some of the bset cars in its class. Every years with a new model, or redesigned model they keep getting better. Right now they are on an upward climb and I like what they are doing.
Old 05-25-08, 11:35 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Well, your point was that a potential Genesis buyer would more likely consider a Genesis over an Infiniti rather than a Genesis over a Lexus, BMW, & Benz, correct?

But yet in other threads regarding the Maxima, you have more or less said "why would anyone choose a Maxima over a G35?" the point there being of course, "why would anyone choose a regular old Nissan when you can have an Infiniti?" (aka a luxury brand over a regular brand). It works both ways. Why would any buyer with any kind of "brand sense" if you will choose a Hyundai when they could have an Infiniti for roughly the same price?

Maybe among those who care about status, Infiniti is not in the top 3 (although it is most definitely in the top 5, top 6 - Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Infiniti, Cadillac). But luxury is luxury and if each model costs roughly about the same as other luxury makes, it becomes more a matter of preference than it does about status or brand power.

So, back to my original post, I can't see anyone opting for a "Hyundai" over a Lexus/Infiniti/BMW anything. Why would they, when they could drive a similar car from a "luxury brand"?

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 05-25-08 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis