Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I got a ticket for no front license plate.. or did I???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 08:52 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I got a ticket for no front license plate.. or did I???

OK So yesterday I'm driving home and see police lights and an officer standing outside of his car with someone pulled over. As I'm passing him, hes walking back to his car and eyes me down. He ran to his car, jumped in, speeded around the car between us, and pulled me over. He asked where my front license plate was and I told him the car was originally from another state where one wasn't needed and I haven't been able to mount one yet.

I gave him my license and insurance card and he walked back to his car.

When he came back he handed me a green carbon copy of a ticket that has the following:

Infraction: Traffic [x] Non-Traffic [ ]

**All of my license info**

** All of my vehicle info **

RCW 46.16.240

NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE

Penalty $216.00

"I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington that I have issued this on the date and at the location above. That I have probable cause to believe the above named person committed the above offense(s).
Officer [officer signed]"

It says I must respond to the courts below according to the reverse side.
Now I've gotten my share of tickets before.. and every time I've had to sign in order to accept the infraction served upon me.

Is this ticket still valid if none of the copies have my signature on it?

If anyone has any insight please let me know! Thanks
Old 03-05-08, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have been in the state only a short period of time, can document it, and can show the judge that you haven't had time to get the mounting gear on and attach the front plate, I think the judge will toss the ticket out......probably wth a warning that you get that front plate on as soon as possible.

You could also put the front plate on the dash where it is visible until you get the hardware to mount it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-08-08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 09:54 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK Signed or not shouldn't matter, as long as it's served directly and for cases that is obvious unlike speeding, it needs no signature...

If you're in a state that requires front plate, you have to get it on even if the car can't get it on... just like Enzos, Bugattis, and SLRs they're not exempt from this, they still have a front plate.

But you can always go to court to gamble the chance to see if the officer will actually come to the court on that day and if he comes, tell the judge your story and tell them you can't find ways to attach it SECURELY and see if you can get your fine lowered, if not, the worst will be you have to pay the fine in full that's about it.
Old 03-05-08, 09:59 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You could also put the front plate on the dash where it is visible until you get the hardware to mount it.
Ah! not really, they can still charge you for not having it mounted securely and it's hazardous if you just stick it in the windshield... 1 possible case is that it'll injure if not chop your head off in a bad rear ender as it becomes a sharp flying object in your cabin... (it also applies in sideswipes, but hardly in front enders)

From where I lived, cops catch people for having the plate on the windshield more than not having one as it's a safety thing....

1 guy did however scanned the plate and printed it on sticker paper and sticked it in the front thus no need for mounting it, but I still think it'll be illegal as it does not reflect light at night....
Old 03-05-08, 10:10 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Zip tie it to your front air dam for a "temporary" fix?
Old 03-05-08, 10:52 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

The signature is not required, it only shows that you received the ticket. You could roll the dice and ignore it and then when you get picked up later try to say you don't remember getting a ticket and they will see you're signature was never on it but in reality is that really worth the risk. If you think you'll get off on a "technicality" because the officer didn't have you sign then chances are you're just going to **** off the judge and pay for it anyway. Send in the money and be done with it.
Old 03-05-08, 11:03 AM
Lisa85
Driver

hmm that sucks. There was a thread about no front license plate too
Old 03-05-08, 11:05 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Well the problem is a month ago I got a ticket for speeding. The officer told me to take it to court and get a deferral.

I think that can only work if you don't get another infraction.. but is it just speeding or all traffic infractions.. also does it start when you get charged or anytime after the day it was served?
Old 03-06-08, 12:47 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I've never had this problem before...
Old 03-06-08, 01:15 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1, me too...
none of my cars have front license plates... they make my cars ugly!
Old 03-06-08, 01:37 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Penalty 216 dollars?? Since when no license plate fine became so expensive?
Old 03-06-08, 05:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SupermanGS
Well the problem is a month ago I got a ticket for speeding. The officer told me to take it to court and get a deferral.

I think that can only work if you don't get another infraction.. but is it just speeding or all traffic infractions.. also does it start when you get charged or anytime after the day it was served?
No front plate shouldn't be a moving violation, so it shouldn't affect your deferral. Obviously I'm not familiar with the exact laws in your state, but that's how it works most places.
Old 03-06-08, 10:32 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Penalty 216 dollars?? Since when no license plate fine became so expensive?
I know. What happened to the "fix-it" opportunity?
Old 03-06-08, 11:24 AM
Q_Lexie
Driver

What happens if you're a traveler from another state? Also, I hear changing licence plate is a pain in the ***. Might be better to pay the fine than to make visits to DMV.
Old 03-06-08, 12:42 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
What happens if you're a traveler from another state?
You must have your plates mounted as required by your state of residence. If that means one plate, then that's it. Doesn't matter what the laws are in states you drive through.

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
Also, I hear changing licence plate is a pain in the ***. Might be better to pay the fine than to make visits to DMV.
Changing plates takes 2 minutes. And even assuming he pays this fine, what about the next time he gets ticketed for it, and the one after that? Paying a fine does not bring one into compliance or exempt one from further citations.

Quick Reply: I got a ticket for no front license plate.. or did I???