Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gordon Murray talks about the NSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 10:55 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
NSX-R in action!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19259744802395

The 360 Modena couldn't even come close!
I love this video. It'd be fairer to compare the Stradale, though.
Old 03-04-08, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I would say the NSX is a class above the old Supras and Skylines of the same era. The new R35 GT-R I would put in a similar class with the NSX, despite the performance differences. The NSX keep in mind is almost 20 years old. The new GT-R is IMHO similar to what the NSX was back then.
yup, pretty much how i feel about it. the nsx is not only fast and awesome track car, it carries the sense of exotic and style in it. given it's a car way back in early 90s, it was soooooo ahead of its time.
Old 03-04-08, 11:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, pretty much how i feel about it. the nsx is not only fast and awesome track car, it carries the sense of exotic and style in it. given it's a car way back in early 90s, it was soooooo ahead of its time.
Yup, I've looking at it from a big picture POV, instead of just looking at performance.

The next NSX (whenever it comes) and the LF-A should be above all of these cars and firmly in modern supercar territory. We're talking Ferrari Enzo and Carrera GT territory.
Old 03-04-08, 12:51 PM
LexFather

And it still looks FANTASTIC to this day. I just don't think the Honda designers of today could design anything but ugly, so I don't even care about the next NSX.
This car is it, this is what Honda used to be about. They had some *****. To hell with the status quo, lets make a car that is going to shake up the establishment.

I love this car.

Old 03-04-08, 01:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And it still looks FANTASTIC to this day. I just don't think the Honda designers of today could design anything but ugly, so I don't even care about the next NSX.
This car is it, this is what Honda used to be about. They had some *****. To hell with the status quo, lets make a car that is going to shake up the establishment.

I love this car.
I feel exactly the same. Key word is what Honda USED to be about . We're talking about innovation and engineering ingenuity. Not anymore. Honda is satisfied with the status quo right now. Going as far back as when the NSX debuted, Honda was stubborn about producing any engines bigger than a V6. Honda continues to be stubborn about that and about RWD.

Toyota, Nissan, Subaru; they've all come out with a bunch of innovations over the past 10 years. Most recently Subaru came out with the historic boxer diesel. Toyota and Nissan are pushing the envelope with engines and technology. So is BMW, Audi, and Benz. Nissan's GT-R is jam-packed with innovation. The LF-A is going to be full of innovation as well. Meanwhile, where is Honda? They've delayed the next-gen NSX, and rumours from some Honda websites are saying Honda is having problems with it's A-VTEC variable valve timing and lift system. Nissan already has VVEL on the market. Toyota already has Valvematic (in Japan) on the market.

I always have mixed thoughts whenever I remember the NSX. On one hand, it was a huge achievement for Honda and represents an innovation "peak". On the other hand, since the NSX Honda has not innovated anywhere near the same level on any other vehicles.
Old 03-04-08, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

mostly agreed, although i'd sort of throw in the s2000 as a closer resemblance. i actually had some hope when i saw the s2k, thinking honda had more under the sleeves, but guess now
Old 03-04-08, 01:59 PM
LexFather

Amazing to think the S2000 is what 8 years old now, with no replacement coming? They have pretty much followed Toyota into offering no fun cars.

Old 03-04-08, 02:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
mostly agreed, although i'd sort of throw in the s2000 as a closer resemblance. i actually had some hope when i saw the s2k, thinking honda had more under the sleeves, but guess now
No surprise seeing as the S2K chief engineer was one of the chief engineers on the NSX.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amazing to think the S2000 is what 8 years old now, with no replacement coming? They have pretty much followed Toyota into offering no fun cars.
We know the LF-A is coming, and we also know a Toyota sports car is coming. The only question is when. Plus Lexus has the whole F sub-brand now.
Old 03-04-08, 06:49 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No surprise seeing as the S2K chief engineer was one of the chief engineers on the NSX.

We know the LF-A is coming, and we also know a Toyota sports car is coming. The only question is when. Plus Lexus has the whole F sub-brand now.
Plus Lexus has the whole F PERFORMANCE brand now. Hehe...it didn't sound right being "sub-branded"
Old 03-04-08, 07:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO, Infiniti is WAY ahead of Acura right now. Despite some criticisms I may have of Infiniti, they've improved greatly over the past few years and Nissan continues to innovate. Only a few years ago Infiniti was anonymous and below Acura and now they're way ahead.

Acura continues with the status quo and with a mostly static lineup.
Old 03-04-08, 09:05 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Shigeru Uehara retired last year. He doesn't agree with the direction Honda is going either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyuxDwnhZg

NSX-R in action!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19259744802395

The 360 Modena couldn't even come close!
The NSX-R is sweet, but I've come to the conclusion that crazy azz Gansan would destroy me around a track if I was driving a 360 and he was driving a Civic Type R.
Old 03-04-08, 11:09 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Eh, the NSX isn't all that.

Old 03-05-08, 09:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Shigeru Uehara retired last year. He doesn't agree with the direction Honda is going either.
I don't blame him either. I don't agree with the direction Honda is going in, and I used to be a huge Honda fan. I used to appreciate and respect Honda far more than Toyota, Subaru, Nissan or any other Japanese maker. Not anymore .

The NSX and S2000 were some of the ONLY production Hondas to have a RWD setup, and Shigeru Uehara had a hand in designing both of them. Then there are the C30/C32 and F20C engines. In the minds of many Honda enthusiasts and fans (including myself) the C32B stands as the pinnacle of Honda's achievement with V6 engines. It's a 3.2L V6 DOHC that makes 290HP. A rarity among Honda engines, as it's one of the only Honda engines ever made thats DOHC. When the NSX debuted originally, it came with the C30A, also a DOHC VTEC V6 that was a 3.0L and made 270HP. Almost 20 years later, and what does Honda have now? A 3.5L SOHC i-VTEC V6 that makes 268HP, or a 3.7L SOHC i-VTEC that makes 300HP .

Then of course there's the F20C. That engine featured numerous proven race innovations. Also no surprise that the F20C is a DOHC VTEC design. A lot of things from the F20C were applied to Honda's K-Series. Also, many things learned from the C30/C32 were applied to other Honda engines like the J-Series.

It's incredible how influential Shigeru was at Honda.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-05-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 02:03 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Yea, its too bad Honda is literally forcing out the some of the best people they had. I have an autographed picture of my car signed by Shigeru Uehara. My friend took up the pic when he went to Japan's NSX Fiesta.
Old 03-05-08, 02:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Yea, its too bad Honda is literally forcing out the some of the best people they had. I have an autographed picture of my car signed by Shigeru Uehara. My friend took up the pic when he went to Japan's NSX Fiesta.
I think partly this is because of the arrogant and stubborn attitude that many Honda senior execs have. Honda is unwilling to change or adapt in many aspects and that leads to some of Honda's best and brightest to leave the company.

Quick Reply: Gordon Murray talks about the NSX