Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10,000 orders placed for new Jaguar XF (High Demand Causes Delays pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 05:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 10,000 orders placed for new Jaguar XF (High Demand Causes Delays pg. 2)

The Jaguar XF goes on sale worldwide in the UK, Europe and North America on March 10. A simultaneous debut in multiple markets is reportedly a first for Jaguar, as is this initial heavy demand for a brand new model. Automotive News reports that Jaguar has 10,000 customer deposits in hand for the new Jaguar XF, with 3,000 orders in the U.S. alone. Jaguar, a near constant fixture as Autoblog's Biggest Loser every month in our By The Numbers report of monthly sales figures, sold just 664 cars in the U.S. last month. We bet that come the end of March, it will no longer hold that dubious honor.

We knew demand would be big, as Jaguar dealers reported having to create informal waiting lists for the sports sedan, which will be sold with no mark ups on a first come, first serve basis. The successor to the stylish but slow-selling S-Type, the XF will start at $49,975 and come with a 300-hp V8 as standard. So far it's been a darling of the media, who, like us, claim that it has to be seen in person to appreciate the design. No one knows how many XF sedans Jaguar plans to sell annually, but we've heard estimates of 20,000 and Land Rover has additional production capacity if it's needed.

Seeing an automaker completely reverse its fortunes overnight is a rare sight, but we may witness that happen when the dust settles after March 10th. Thousands of XF sales will in turn mean more sales of the XK to new buyers who just dropped by a dealership to check out that "hot new sedan" everyone's talking about. Jaguar would be well advised to put a rush order on delivering the new XJ to market to complete its lineup's reinvention.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/18/i...for-jaguar-xf/
Old 02-18-08, 05:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, The XF is whole lot better than the S-type it replaces.
Old 02-18-08, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Cool, The XF is whole lot better than the S-type it replaces.

I don't know. I really liked the S-Class (it was a nice luxury car), and will save my comments for an XF review.

But, I'll admit,the S-Class like most Jaguars, had its share of quality goofs. The one I test-drove (brand-new) when they first came out had a loose outside door handle that was inoperative and practically fell right off.
Old 02-18-08, 05:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand the front end styling of the car and I'm not a fan of the interior. As for the initial orders, it sounds like a lot but I wonder for how long do those initial orders stretch to? If those 10,000 orders are for the next two years for example, then it's nothing special at all. And these are global numbers, compared to the other vehicles in the segment the global numbers are not that high. The LS had a huge number of initial orders and that car is much more expensive and in another class than the XF.
Old 02-18-08, 07:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know. I really liked the S-Class (it was a nice luxury car), and will save my comments for an XF review.

But, I'll admit,the S-Class like most Jaguars, had its share of quality goofs. The one I test-drove (brand-new) when they first came out had a loose outside door handle that was inoperative and practically fell right off.
S-Class = Mercedes. S-Type = Jaguar
Old 02-18-08, 07:45 PM
LexFather

I hope this initial sales reaction lasts, or Jag is done!

Old 02-18-08, 08:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jag needs to provide a new viable competitor against the E-Class, 5-Series, and GS.

It would be nice if the XF keeps up its momentum; we have to see how well the Initial Quality reports will make or break Jaguar.
Old 02-18-08, 08:30 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I'm glad Jaguar is turning around, of all the luxury brands, Jag's combination of luxury, performance and style speaks to me the most. I still don't like the front end of this car though, the front end of the concept looked so much better
Old 02-18-08, 08:37 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's hope this is a sign of a strong new beginning for Jaguar. I was able to spend some time sitting around and feeling the new XF quite a bit at the auto show here and I was pretty impressed by the quality and fit and finish of the material. The way the dash curves is a little ugly to me but the way the blue light bathed the interior was so cool.
Old 02-19-08, 12:55 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend was down at the factory recently and said that the car looked far better in the flesh than in the photos. He also said the production area was crammed with left hand drive models for the US - it seemed as if that is where they are concentrating on first.
Old 02-19-08, 05:03 PM
legit
Pole Position

The front end of the XF Concept looks much better than the above.

http://www.carpw.com/jaguar+cars/xf/concept+(2007)+535/

Old 02-19-08, 07:29 PM
LexFather

The concept was TONS better.

Old 02-20-08, 01:41 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think this car looks good. if they can fix the quality issues, it would be a nice alternative to the other cars in its class
Old 02-20-08, 02:47 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

It is a very nice looking sedan. As good as XK is, sedan is still the most important icon for a luxury car company, I am glad Jaguar finally find its direction and wish this is the right direction.
Old 02-20-08, 05:44 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope it does take off! right now, i have almost no work due to the paltry amount of jags on the road. (i'm a jag mechanic). hopefully the quality is closer to lexus than ford. the x and s type basically feel, sound, ride and perform like tauruses. cheapness abounds and it doens't surprise me that people dont buy them when there are so many better alternatives.

Quick Reply: 10,000 orders placed for new Jaguar XF (High Demand Causes Delays pg. 2)