Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much more $$$ does it cost to maintain a Lexus over a Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 07:28 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more $$$ does it cost to maintain a Lexus over a Honda?

I currently drive an 04 Accord 4cyl and looking towards a used 06 IS350 this summer. With the Accord, I'm still on the stock Michelin MVX4 tires for the past 44k miles. Looking at tirerack, I can get about four new tires for $50 each (not including shipping and installation). However for Lexus, it's going to be about $240 each rear and $180 each front. From looking at some of the posts here, it seems that most people only get 25k miles from their tires.

I don't drive very aggressively, no taking quick sharp turns and smoking the tires. Granted they're larger tires on the IS, I didn't think the price difference would be that much. For the 4 years that I'm on a set of tires for the Accord, I'd be going through two sets for the IS.

I can't think of anything else that would make the IS more expensive to maintain over the Accord. Oil changes should be close, fluids shouldn't be any different. What else am I missing that might surprise me when I look to tune up the IS?
Old 02-09-08, 07:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

oil changes are at 5k, dealer charges close to 45-50 for an oil change for me
Old 02-09-08, 08:07 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus parts in general do cost more than Honda parts, even with Honda parts being rather pricey sometimes. For example, on GS400's... a new starter is going to set you back $11-1300 dollars. I had a friend get a 4cyl accord done for about $600 at the Honda dealer. Mom's RX300 needed new 02 sensor... dealer wanted $1100. Throttle position sensor was about $500. Even though these are dealer prices I'm talking about, this is just to give you an idea. I don't see parts for the IS being any cheaper than the other modelss.
Old 02-09-08, 08:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

unless u a DIY type of person.
Old 02-09-08, 08:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
I currently drive an 04 Accord 4cyl and looking towards a used 06 IS350 this summer. With the Accord, I'm still on the stock Michelin MVX4 tires for the past 44k miles. Looking at tirerack, I can get about four new tires for $50 each (not including shipping and installation). However for Lexus, it's going to be about $240 each rear and $180 each front. From looking at some of the posts here, it seems that most people only get 25k miles from their tires.

I don't drive very aggressively, no taking quick sharp turns and smoking the tires. Granted they're larger tires on the IS, I didn't think the price difference would be that much. For the 4 years that I'm on a set of tires for the Accord, I'd be going through two sets for the IS.

I can't think of anything else that would make the IS more expensive to maintain over the Accord. Oil changes should be close, fluids shouldn't be any different. What else am I missing that might surprise me when I look to tune up the IS?
Well, with newer models Lexus you shouldn't really worry about maintenance all that much. These cars are very solid, and usually last 130-150k miles without major issues.

As far as tires, it all depends. Usually, the cheaper the tire, the longer it lasts because it is made of harder compound - however as a trade off it gets worse traction. You could probably find cheaper tires for the IS, but I don't know if you want to, it has a lot of power and tires with poor traction rating could get you in trouble. I can tell you that most high performance tires wont last much more than 25K, maybe even less. The last set of tires on my GS, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 lasted for about 22K. And they are completely useless even in the lightest amount of snow, dont even bother trying.

As far as other maintenance items, such as brake pads, spark plugs, wires, fluids, belts, etc - they should be in the more or less the same neighboorhood.
Old 02-09-08, 08:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Lexus parts in general do cost more than Honda parts, even with Honda parts being rather pricey sometimes. For example, on GS400's... a new starter is going to set you back $11-1300 dollars. I had a friend get a 4cyl accord done for about $600 at the Honda dealer. Mom's RX300 needed new 02 sensor... dealer wanted $1100. Throttle position sensor was about $500. Even though these are dealer prices I'm talking about, this is just to give you an idea. I don't see parts for the IS being any cheaper than the other modelss.
Yeah, but you should also mention that these are the prices including labor. The cost of parts themselves is similar, and if you go to an independent shop instead of the dealer, the cost of labor might be similar as well. For isntance I dont know about the starter, but an O2 sensor for either Honda or Lexus, any model, costs around $100. The labor is exactly the same for both cars, and extremely easy DYI - just unbolt it with a flat wrench, disconnect it, bolt the new one in, connect it - 10 minites of work. With a TPS its even easier, both Honda and Lexus TPS cost around $120, and held by two screws. Unscrew it, disconnect it, put the new one in, connect it and adjust. Also no more than 10-15 minutes of labor. Seems like your dealership is a bunch of crooks if they are giving you these outrageous prices.
Old 02-09-08, 09:03 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
a little biased....

1UZ (GS400 engine) starter is underneath the intake manifold and in between the cylinders and you need to drain the coolant b/c there's a pipe running on top of it. So, you need to take off the intake manifold assy and drain coolant to even reach to the starter (which is a ridiculous design Mr.Toyota). Parts are $300ish including coolant and gaskets for intake manifold. The labor is what kills it at a bookrate of 7.5hr @ a hourly rate of an arm and a leg. I don't need a Lexus loaner or a nice cup of Starschmucks coffee; for something I can't do myself or feel lazy to do myself, I'm calling a friend who's a master tech at Toyota . If you don't know anyone, get on a local car forum and ask for a reputable shop.

To change an inline 4 Honda starter, it's probably just attached somewhere that's accessible.

As for tires, $240/tire seems ridiculous. My 245/40/18 Proxes T1-S was even like $170/tire retail. And btw, just b/c you don't wear down those tires doesn't mean it's still good. Ever seen a dried up rubber band w/ cracks that break if you try to stretch?
Old 02-09-08, 09:11 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is WAY more expensive to maintain than Hondas. Hondas are about
as low maintenance as you can get, since they are fairly reliable and parts
are reasonably priced.
Old 02-09-08, 11:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
a little biased....

1UZ (GS400 engine) starter is underneath the intake manifold and in between the cylinders and you need to drain the coolant b/c there's a pipe running on top of it. So, you need to take off the intake manifold assy and drain coolant to even reach to the starter (which is a ridiculous design Mr.Toyota).
Actually it's not a riciculous design, the reason you have coolant hoses on top of your intake is to run coolant through your throttle body, EGR valve, and IAC valve. And you don't have to drain the coolant completely, maybe a quart at most, just so the coolant level is lower, and doesn't reach into these hoses.

One thing that you will appreciate about Lexus, if you work on one, you will never find a rusted bolt or nut, everything is always butter smooth and fits like a glove. Honda's are generally pretty good too in the engine department, and quite frankly they are better thought out as far as the layout goes, but their suspensions and exausts are a major PITA to work on, always rusty, stubborn bolts and nuts, very aggrovating.
Old 02-09-08, 11:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by marshmallo
are reasonably priced.
I'm not sure if I agree with that. What are the typical maintenante parts? Brake pads, fluids, belts, spark plugs, filters, etc - they are more or less the same price for all makes. Once you get into major replacement parts, yeah Lexus are a lot more expensive, with with 2006 models it's nothing to worry about.
Old 02-10-08, 12:33 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Actually it's not a riciculous design, the reason you have coolant hoses on top of your intake is to run coolant through your throttle body, EGR valve, and IAC valve. And you don't have to drain the coolant completely, maybe a quart at most, just so the coolant level is lower, and doesn't reach into these hoses.
no, there's a pipe underneath the intake manifold and right above the starter.
Old 02-10-08, 02:46 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

My GS was a pain in the @$$ to maintain for the 8 months I had it. A starter cost me a grand, the door actuator went out and was going to be $300 but luckily I got hit in the same door and the other person's insurance paid to fix the actuator even though it had nothing to do with the accident When I sold it it needed new motor and transmission mounts and shocks that were going to cost about $2000 to fix, new rotors and pads cost like $800, 4 new Kumhos were $600, and I didn't even touch the 90k service that would be another thousand. The maintenance on that thing was ridiculous
Old 02-10-08, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
are reasonably priced.
In general I agree with this, but the biggest factor is whether you take the car to the dealer for service.

If you take a Honda and a Lexus to their respective dealers for their respective recommended maintenance, my guess is you'll pay 2x for the Lexus. Why? Well the biggest reason is SOMEONE has to pay for that really fancy dealership facility and all those highly trained techs. There's a lot of marble and wood to polish. But the 'feeling' at a Lexus dealer is great, you feel coddled, like in a really nice hotel. So if that's worth something to you, then it's worth it!

On the other hand, if you do some maintenance yourself, and use 'Bob' down the street for some things, your maintenance shouldn't be much different.
Old 02-10-08, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
With the Accord, I'm still on the stock Michelin MVX4 tires for the past 44k miles. Looking at tirerack, I can get about four new tires for $50 each (not including shipping and installation).
But the $50 tires won't be Michelins, right? I wouldn't put $50 tires on my lawnmower. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-10-08, 08:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

michelin MVX4 tires are terrible

Quick Reply: How much more $$$ does it cost to maintain a Lexus over a Honda?