Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I don't want to live anywhere near the end of the elevated runway. Don't we hear occasionally that planes do fail to lift off on runways & plunged (usually into water) . . .
Maybe planes on this runway normally take off going south?
Old 01-27-08, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
In Canada you can't really sue for anything.

Especially in Quebec, we have no fault insurance. I wonder if it would have covered something like this?
I could be wrong, but it seems like your mixing car insurance and lawsuits with lawsuits in general. I don't believe insurance has anything to do with suing. If someone has no fault insurance, it means their insurance covers it even if it was the other person's fault but that doesn't stop someone suing.

Anyway, some states have 'no fault' like Quebec - I don't know which ones do it which way (not even my own ).

Seems from this article that 'no fault' isn't perfect either.
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ins.../no-fault1.asp
Old 01-27-08, 11:52 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I could be wrong, but it seems like your mixing car insurance and lawsuits with lawsuits in general. I don't believe insurance has anything to do with suing. If someone has no fault insurance, it means their insurance covers it even if it was the other person's fault but that doesn't stop someone suing.
I get where you are going. The way I was looking at it, he caused a reckless accident with his fathers car, which in the end caused lives. While he was in the car, pretty much wtv you do in it, your insurance would cover an "accident" of some sort.

"Quebec - You cannot sue for pain and suffering or for economic loss." (Courtesy of Kanetix)

vive le quebec lol just sucks when u have overpasses crashing down on you.

I am happy, I do not drive or get in anyone car. I just have to worry about getting hit by someone, turning on red when they are not suppose too or driving through a red light, while I am walking around.
Old 01-27-08, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I am happy, I do not drive or get in anyone car.
You don't drive but hang out on a Lexus message board?
Old 01-27-08, 01:56 PM
JessePS

You don't drive but hang out on a Lexus message board?
I am a collector Plus a huge Lexus fan

For me owning a car is a work of art. I do not have to show the world.

Only time I really drive, is in a case of an emergency. Other then that I use public transit, seeing I live in the city. Plus I am walking distance from many things.

I might drive more often, if and when I move back to the suburbs.

Last edited by JessePS; 01-27-08 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 03:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not to beat someone while they are down, apparently the kid was a **** on the M5 forums, its been confirmed it was an M5

dig through a bit:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111454

Originally Posted by AmericanM5
M5froth I completley understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible..that is definetly understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others..and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will. Plus I will have pictures up asap with me in the pictures. I have no reason to lie buddy.
Originally Posted by ///Marshall
Folks, AmericanM5's name is Josh from Ocala, Florida.

The victims have been identified as Joshua D. Ammirato, 18, of Fairfield, who was identified as the driver of the $75,000 car; Dustin J. Dawe, 19, also of Fairfield; James Devon Hime, 19, of Anthony; and Jacob James Casey, 19 and Isaac Rubin, 20, both of Ocala.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-27-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 03:22 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On which part of the H?
Right by Kahala Mall area where the freeway goes over the Waialae offramp. The car ended up in the Chevron Gas Station. Or at least parts of it. This was about 7-8 years ago.
Old 01-27-08, 03:44 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Right by Kahala Mall area where the freeway goes over the Waialae offramp. The car ended up in the Chevron Gas Station. Or at least parts of it. This was about 7-8 years ago.
Oh ****. Weird I don't remember hearing it on the news. I must have not been there the month it happened or the day. I remember I was on Maui and the Big Island from the end of December to the start of January back in 1999/2000.
Old 01-27-08, 04:50 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Oh ****. Weird I don't remember hearing it on the news. I must have not been there the month it happened or the day. I remember I was on Maui and the Big Island from the end of December to the start of January back in 1999/2000.

A search shows it was June 2001. A few other racing deaths happened near that area as well. The freeway opens up fairly straight, but there are dips in the road near that area so if you are doing near 100MPH it isn't hard to loose control. If you search racing death in Hawaii you'd be surprised how many of them occur each year. They just don't learn. Sometimes it is a matter of a few days or a week apart. You'd think they would take it easy for a while but no.
Old 01-27-08, 05:05 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got linked to that from another forum and just finished reading thru the 11 pages of that thread.... rip to the 5 involved... such a sad story...
Old 01-27-08, 05:15 PM
LexFather

UPDATE:

(Updated at 1:30 p.m.) OCALA - Less than 12 hours before he died, Joshua Ammirato was posting messages on an Internet message board seeking advice about how to drive his 2008 BMW M5 faster.

Ammirato, 18, logged onto M5board.com Thursday and Friday, asking other M5 drivers how to shift smoother in the 500-horsepower machine.

"The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," he wrote in one post.

Ammirato and four other young Marion County men were killed at about 3:45 a.m. Saturday, when the BMW M5 he was driving sailed off the end of the Greystone airstrip in Anthony and crashed into a tree.

Messages on the board devoted to M5 enthusiasts show Ammirato logged on shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday as "AmericanM5."

"Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me," he wrote.

Other members of the board expressed skepticism that Ammirato could have a car with a base price of $82,900 at such a young age, but warned him to take it easy until he gained more driving experience.

"Maybe your 2 years driving experience in your whole life is the problem," one member wrote.

"The fact that I never drove a manual car before may be true, but I've been driving for a lot longer than two years buddy," Ammirato responded.

Ammirato's M5, according to his posts, was equipped with a "sequential manual gearbox," which shifts like a traditional manual transmission, but without a clutch pedal.

Automobile Magazine has described the M5 as "a fearfully intimidating machine," with writer Michael Jordan adding "we've found that the SMG transmission ... makes you feel like a victim of speed, not its master."

Ammirato told forum members he'd had the car for about three weeks. Records show his father, Santo Ammirato, bought the car in November.

In his posts, Joshua Ammirato listed his other cars as a 2008 BMW 535i, a 2007 BMW 335i and a 2007 Cadillac Escalade. All have less horsepower than the M5.

News of Ammirato's death drew condolences from forum members on Saturday and Sunday.

"My prayers are with Josh and his family as well. Being that I am 21 and going on my second M5 I know the temptation is great and sometimes hard to handle at that age," one member wrote. "This is a very serious car with extraordinary performance, i have learned to respect it because there is a VERY, VERY thin line between losing it and keeping it on the road."

Another hoped others would learn from the tragedy.

"Truly a sad, sad event. May God be with the families and friends," the poster wrote. "Hope that they have not died completely in vain -- that many young drivers (and their parents) will take this to heart and learn from it."

Ammirato asked forum members on Friday about turning off the M5's electronic stability control for higher performance. A member wrote back with concern.

"With all (due) respect, gradually learn your car before you turn off (stability control)," he wrote. "With a little mistake combination of your mind and your right foot, you can be history. Be safe and enjoy.

"P.S. People on this board care about each other, especially when someone owns 500 hp car at age of 18. Don't take it personal. We all watch each other(s) back."

Another member expressed concern about Ammirato's maturity.

"[I]t's just disturbing to know, if you're for real, that an 18 year old who is asking these questions about a 500hp car is driving the same streets I am. I don't have anything against young guys driving nice cars, but an 18 year old behind the wheel of an M5 is what accidents are made of," he wrote.

Ammirato responded at 5:33 p.m. Friday that he was responsible.

"I completely understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible ... that is definitely understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others."

A member from Australia again cautioned Ammirato to be careful.

"My only bit of advice matey -- If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news," he wrote. "Enjoy and resist the temptation to drag others at the lights."

Ammirato responded, in his last post, at 9:02 p.m. Friday.

"Thanks guys, don't get me wrong I never said I didn't respect your wisdom," he wrote. "[T]hanks for the welcome and I am looking forward to getting to know you guys better ... Josh."

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012...4162577/0/NEWS
Wow, just wow. How many high speed BMW crashes/deaths have we read about? Very very very sad.

I'm just glad he didn't crash into a house and kill more people.

Old 01-27-08, 06:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

While the driver was reckless, I have to say the more reckless party was the PARENTS. Who in their right mind gives a 19 yr old a new 500HP M5?

No doubt they're grieving and I feel bad for them. I'm sure they will also deal with a lot of guilt for a long time.

Folks - even if you can afford it and especially if you love your children, DON'T give them a rocket of a car, ever. If they end up making enough to buy one on their own, that's up to them.
Old 01-27-08, 06:33 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

While the driver was reckless, I have to say the more reckless party was the PARENTS. Who in their right mind gives a 19 yr old a new 500HP M5?

No doubt they're grieving and I feel bad for them. I'm sure they will also deal with a lot of guilt for a long time.

Folks - even if you can afford it and especially if you love your children, DON'T give them a rocket of a car, ever. If they end up making enough to buy one on their own, that's up to them.
Sounds like that is pretty common among those fortunate enough to where money is no concern. Maybe they thought they were doing the sensible thing giving him the cheaper M5 instead of the Lamborghini he wanted Seriously, one time there was a Prince from some country going to school in Hawaii. My BMW friend said he bought a fully loaded BMW E46 M3. Drove it for a little while, then when across the street and bought a Lambo since the M3 wasn't good enough for him.

In all honestly though, I don't really think it is the high HP car itself. A few of my friends in HS used to have souped up classic muscle cars that probably had just as much HP. The difference is they never were crazy enough to street race. They take it to the track. In this case though the guy probably thought he was being safer by driving on their own private air strip, but it just goes to show that it doesn't matter how safe you think you are being, at those speeds dangerous things can happen.
Old 01-27-08, 06:35 PM
LexFather

While it isn't responsible to buy him a M5, I mean seriously, who thinks their kids might drive the car on the runway?? I mean, who mentions something like that or even thinks of that?

Unless their world is that surreal......

Old 01-27-08, 10:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While it isn't responsible to buy him a M5, I mean seriously, who thinks their kids might drive the car on the runway?? I mean, who mentions something like that or even thinks of that?

Unless their world is that surreal......
No doubt they may not have thought their kids would drive on a runway but Mike, be real here... if you had this kind of M5 when you were 19 do you think you would have wrecked it? I'm pretty sure I would have.

Quick Reply: 5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree