Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some info on clear bra shields brand differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 11:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Some info on clear bra shields brand differences

According to someone on another Lexus forum.

All you want to know about clear bra shields:

I just thought that I would clear up some misconceptions regarding clear paint protection. I have read alot of posts on this board, and being in that industry I thought I would explain some things. I am the sales manager for a large global distributor of paint protection films. We currently carry 3M, Venture Shield and Llumar. I am not trying to sell anything here. I could not sell to any of you even if you wanted to buy from me. We deal in large bulk rolls. I just thought that some industry backround and insite would help all of you make an informed decision regarding this product.

First, at the present time there are only two reputable brands of paint protection. 3M and Venture Shield. Avery, Llumar & Clear Shield are the other players, but they are way behind 3M and Venture. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of those brands as well that I will explain below.

3M
This is the grandaddy of this industry. They invented the product in the early 1990s to help the US Military prevent erosion of helecopter blades in the first Gulf War. When the helos started in the desert, the sand would literally sand blast the leading edge of the blades. So, this product was developed and applied to the leading edges of those blades and that fixed the problem. For the military, long term appearance did not really matter. So, when this first started to be used on cars it would turn yellow after 2-4 years. Since then, the product has been re-engineered several times in order to maintain the appearance for many years. The product is considered 8 mil thick, however it is really 6 mil with 2 mil of adhesive. The 3M product comes with a clear scratch resistant top coat. This allows the product to be very scratch resistant and seals the pores against staining from insects and dirt. The downside to this hard coat is that it has a slight orange peel look.

Venture
This product has been out for roughly 6 years and is the up and comer in this industry. The product is very clear and applies much easier than 3M making hard cars and more elaborate kits possible. This product is the only paint protection product that Scuderia Ferrari recognizes and authorizes. This product is also a 8 mil (6 mil material, 2 mil adhesive), but it does not have a hard top coat. The benefit to this is that the product has virtually no orange peel and looks fabulous on the cars. The negative is that with no hard coat it is easier to scratch and stain. Because of this, Venture requires you to clean the car frequently and protect it with a wax or Plexus type product to stay looking good. Many that already take car of their cars very religiously would appreciate the better looks of the Venture.
All that being said, I have 3M on my wife's Touareg and Venture on my 996. Both are great products, it just depends on what you want. I would especially recommend Venture on non-matallic paints though like Guards Red or Speed Yellow. On those types of colors the orange peel of the 3M becomes very noticable. On metallic paints, both 3M and Venture should virtually disappear if installed correctly.
Finally, please do not try and install this yourself! This product is very difficult to install well and why would you want your 996 looking less than it's best. You will pay anywhere from $500-$1500 for a good install with either of these films. The range is to take into account amount of coverage and skill of the installer. Do not try and save a dollar here. A bad job is worse than not having it done at all in my opinion.
===

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-23-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 12:10 PM
Temptation
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the pros and cons of the two brands. I heard that there's also the spray-on clear paint protection, I'm not sure how good is this product compare to the two brands you've described above. Especially for those who would like to have a full hood covered, for example, I think the spray-on would be a little bit more convenient to work with, as others are only come in pre-cut size. Appreciate for any opinions or suggestions you like to share.

Danny
Old 10-23-07, 12:13 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good info! Now all I need is to find a place that will do clear bras in NY.
Old 10-23-07, 12:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/armorcoatfaqs/

This stuff is interesting but must be applied by a bodyshop.
Old 10-23-07, 12:23 PM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up! I wish I had known about this back when i bought my car. After owning my IS250 AWD for one year my hood looks like it was 10 years old! I'm taking in for to have the hood repainted next week. Could you recommend someone in NJ to install the Venture film? Thanks.

Nelson
Old 10-23-07, 12:24 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Thanks for posting this info. This would have help me a lot when I was looking for info prior to getting my clear bra installed.
Old 10-23-07, 12:29 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phattie
Excellent write up! I wish I had known about this back when i bought my car. After owning my IS250 AWD for one year my hood looks like it was 10 years old! I'm taking in for to have the hood repainted next week. Could you recommend someone in NJ to install the Venture film? Thanks.

Nelson
Be careful on the repaint and clear bra...The 3M and likely all others don't recommend applying the film to a recent paint job....so you get it repainted..drive around until its 'safe' to apply..and get more chips. I had my IS done within a week of being new..and picked up a chip before then..so now I have a chip protected under the clear bra...
Old 10-23-07, 12:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by phattie

Nelson
My pleasure.

I had Ventureshield installed on a '07 Camry XLE I owned by a certified Ventureshield www.carbranj.com in Long Branch.Camry was white and I'd never put any film on white again.Edges get way too dirty if the car is used daily,especially in winter.The Ventureshield film is great,though.
Koz says there's a guy in Garfield who installs Ventureshield if that's closer to you..
Old 10-23-07, 12:48 PM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My pleasure.

I had Ventureshield installed on a '07 Camry XLE I owned by a certified Ventureshield www.carbranj.com in Long Branch.Camry was white and I'd never put any film on white again.Edges get way too dirty if the car is used daily,especially in winter.The Ventureshield film is great,though.
Koz says there's a guy in Garfield who installs Ventureshield if that's closer to you..
thanks for the quick response and recommendation. Garfield is a closer. My car is the smokey granite color so the edges shouldn't be a problem. Thinking of waiting about 3 weeks after i get it painted. Hope not to get too many chips during the wait. thanks again.

nelson
Old 10-24-07, 02:50 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Quick qestion Joeb427 or anyone with the ventureshield, since it is more scratch prone (and i have a few scratches), any way of removing scratches?
Old 10-24-07, 10:39 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tmag,

Depending on the scratches on the film, you may or may not be able to remove them completely.

Your best bet is to use Plexus cleaner as it seals the pores which makes the scratches less visible. It is actually recommended by VentureShield as stated in the "Care Instructions" of the film warranty card. (I also tried Plexus on the black window frame of my IS recently and it works quite well in removing most of the hairline scratches as well!)

By the way, just to add an update on Joe427's comment about Ventureshield lacking topcoat..

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Venture
The negative is that with no hard coat it is easier to scratch and stain. Because of this, Venture requires you to clean the car frequently and protect it with a wax or Plexus type product to stay looking good. Many that already take car of their cars very religiously would appreciate the better looks of the Venture.
===

VentureShield actually has a new version of film with clear coat. I have compared them with the non-clear coat version and they seem to look brighter.

http://www.ventureshield.com/

So supposingly the new version should be less prone to staining, or at least on par with 3M in this aspect.

Last edited by AndyL; 10-24-07 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Adding quote to improve clarity of explanation
Old 10-24-07, 11:24 PM
kepani
Driver School Candidate

great information! thank you very much.

so in essence, would you say that the 'orange peel' of 3m product, if applied to the tungsten pearl (silver) paint, would not be very noticable? i like the ruggedness of the 3m product - that would be the deciding aspect.

on the other hand, i consider myself to be fairly meticulous when cleaning/polishiing/waxing...would the venture guard be a better choice? would keeping a fresh coat of wax help out with the 'scratch prone' topcoat of the ventureshield product?

kepani
Old 10-27-07, 06:45 AM
LakeVol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kepani
great information! thank you very much.

so in essence, would you say that the 'orange peel' of 3m product, if applied to the tungsten pearl (silver) paint, would not be very noticable? i like the ruggedness of the 3m product - that would be the deciding aspect.

on the other hand, i consider myself to be fairly meticulous when cleaning/polishiing/waxing...would the venture guard be a better choice? would keeping a fresh coat of wax help out with the 'scratch prone' topcoat of the ventureshield product?

kepani
No matter what film you go with, there will be some type of orange peel to the material - its unavoidable. Venture, in my humble opinion, would be the last film I would choose. The orange peel (or any installation flaws) are normally more visible on darker colored cars.
Old 11-02-07, 10:25 AM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

Question Couple of questions, hopefully someone can help.

Great information,
I just purchased my 08 RX350 2 weeks ago, and had the dealer install the clear paint protection the offer through the lexus dealer. I got the entire front end kit, including the hood, bumper, head and fog lights, side view mirrors, and door handle wells. The products paper worked branded it as Rock Block. I can not find anythig on this brand on the web. I would imagine this is one of the brands you mentioned just re-branded. The dealer has a shop they use exclusively down the street from them and they did an excellent job on the install. When I went to pick it up I noticed just a couple very minor bubbles and they brought it down the street while I was there and it was back and perfect with in 15 minutes. I would definatley reccomend getting professional instalation. My RX is Flint Mica and I only see the line when looking up close. I am very pleased with this product. On past vehicled I have had new paint chipped far too quickly, so this was a must for me. One question I have is about washing the vehicle now. I have read that it is reccomended to hand wash the vehicle, but in CT during the winter this is not always realistic, and this is when I believe the vehicle would benifit most from washing off the sand and salt. Can anyone recommend a particular car wash type that would be OK durring the cold weather months? I also read that using a carwash with recycled water is not reccomended. How do you know which ones do and which do not? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance,
CTtech
Old 11-02-07, 01:13 PM
is250al
Rookie

hey Joe, i had this install done 4 times on the front bumper of my 07 gray 250 and the installer is a 5 yr installer but it seems like he is pushing too hard or something cause when all is done i see marks under the clear bra as if he moved the glue. it looks like the car is scratch or something but when he takes it off its not there, i have had dust and small dirt get trapped under the film. whats up with that?

Quick Reply: Some info on clear bra shields brand differences