Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota has no intention of meeting with union organizers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 07:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Toyota has no intention of meeting with union organizers

Toyota has no intention of meeting with union organizers

Posted Aug 29th 2007

The union talk is stirring again at Toyota's Georgetown, Kentucky plant, but management at the automaker has no intention of meeting with workers trying to unionize. A group of current and former employees at the plant called the Kentucky Workers' Rights Board have drawn up a laundry list of complaints, which include what they perceive to be unjustified firings, the use of too many temporary workers, and job-related injuries.The committee is putting together a recommendation which includes limiting low-paid temps to 90 day terms, and the establishment of a safety committee. Toyota's decision not to meet with the group came after the would-be organizers declared that they would hold a press release after a management meeting. Oops.

For years, there has been a lot of talk about organizing the Georgetown plant, and as of yet, the 7,000 full-time workers have never even voted for or against a union. A push to unionize a Toyota plant couldn't be coming at a worse time, however, as the UAW may have to take big cuts from the Detroit automakers. Since most Toyota workers make roughly the same hourly rate as UAW workers, we don't think the transplant workers will want to vote for a potential pay cut. If Detroit automakers get concessions, however, Toyota could cut worker pay anyway to keep its advantage.
via autoblog
Old 08-29-07, 08:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota is learning from the mistakes of the Big Three and UAW.

Toyota needs to address the issues that union wants without unions...
Old 08-29-07, 09:46 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unions which were once beneficial to this country in establishing fair labor practices are now archaic remnants of the past. Now they only breed laziness, waste, and drive jobs offshore. Workers now have a feeling of entitlement but the work product does not warrant the high labor prices. In addition there is so much waste and corruption with Union management that this also reduces the competitive edge of companies on our shores.

Last edited by Hermosa; 08-29-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 11:55 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ nuff said. Sad part is even though the big 3 are in trouble the union wants more for its workers. Us americans are causing our own demise.
Old 03-18-08, 06:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb In Related Canadian News ...

Toyota Intimidates Employees in Ontario
A statement from the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union on Monday alleges Toyota sent a communication to employees at the Cambridge, Ontario plant that is unlawful. The message swayed workers from voting for a union, a a for which a representation election is planned for Thursday. According to union spokesman Bill Trbovich, the Machinists filed a complaint with Ontario’s Labour Relations Board.

The message “crossed the line set by the law, which prevents employers from intimidating and unduly influencing employees to vote against a union,” the IAMAW statement said, according to The Detroit News.

Toyota plans to challenge the union to prove it has enough signed cards and will request a sealed vote, at least until labor officials make a judgment, the company said on Saturday. Over 40 percent of workers at the plant indicated they are in favor of a union during a November card collection, said IAMAW organizer Ian Morland. The Labour Board needs 40 percent of workers in favor to hold a secret-ballot election.

If the IAMAW succeeds in its efforts to form a union at the Toyota plant, it will become the first labor group in North America to do so at an assembly plant owned by Toyota, Honda, Nissan or Hyundai. The United Auto Workers tried to form a union at Toyota’s Kentucky plant last year, but that effort was shut down. A similar attempt was also made at Nissan’s Tennessee factory.

Toyota builds Corolla and Matrix cars and their engines, as well as the Lexus RX350 SUV, at the Cambridge plant, with a second plant in Woodstock, ON due to open next year.

Old 03-18-08, 07:43 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69

Toyota Intimidates Employees in Ontario
A statement from the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union on Monday alleges Toyota sent a communication to employees at the Cambridge, Ontario plant that is unlawful. The message swayed workers from voting for a union, a a for which a representation election is planned for Thursday. According to union spokesman Bill Trbovich, the Machinists filed a complaint with Ontario’s Labour Relations Board.

The message “crossed the line set by the law, which prevents employers from intimidating and unduly influencing employees to vote against a union,” the IAMAW statement said, according to The Detroit News.

Toyota plans to challenge the union to prove it has enough signed cards and will request a sealed vote, at least until labor officials make a judgment, the company said on Saturday. Over 40 percent of workers at the plant indicated they are in favor of a union during a November card collection, said IAMAW organizer Ian Morland. The Labour Board needs 40 percent of workers in favor to hold a secret-ballot election.

If the IAMAW succeeds in its efforts to form a union at the Toyota plant, it will become the first labor group in North America to do so at an assembly plant owned by Toyota, Honda, Nissan or Hyundai. The United Auto Workers tried to form a union at Toyota’s Kentucky plant last year, but that effort was shut down. A similar attempt was also made at Nissan’s Tennessee factory.

Toyota builds Corolla and Matrix cars and their engines, as well as the Lexus RX350 SUV, at the Cambridge plant, with a second plant in Woodstock, ON due to open next year.

I would close down the plant.
Old 03-18-08, 12:38 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Unions are little more nowadays than power vehicles (political or otherwise) for the select few leaders. Does anyone truly believe they care about the little guy?

There has been a huge movement for unionization where I live, and I really don't think the workers know what they're getting themselves into.
Old 03-18-08, 01:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i dont get what these unions try to accomplish nowadays I bet if you fire anyone wanting to start trouble theres 5+ people in line eager to fill their job.

Thats what that one airline company did, a ton of them went on strike, and the airline company said O RLY? Fired every one of them and were able to hire new people immediately

Same damn unions drove the US military to cancel Colts contract to produce the M16 rifle, because it was terrible quality and they went on strike. Now FN in Belgium makes the M16
Old 03-18-08, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i dont get what these unions try to accomplish nowadays I bet if you fire anyone wanting to start trouble theres 5+ people in line eager to fill their job.

Thats what that one airline company did, a ton of them went on strike, and the airline company said O RLY? Fired every one of them and were able to hire new people immediately
Some companies CAN'T fire striking workers. The contracts prohibit that. If they do, the unions go to court and get a cease-and-desist order....and the companies may also get socked with a heavy fine.
Old 03-18-08, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Toyota is learning from the mistakes of the Big Three and UAW.
How? Toyota, in the last several years, repeated many of the same mistakes that the Big Three made in the 1970's....too rapid growth, too much cost-cutting, and too much cheapening of their products. The chickens came home to roost, and only now does Toyota realize some of those mistakes.

I know many of you guys are too young to recall, but I remember well the huge quality drop of American-made cars during the 1970s and early 80s, especially at GM (with Chrysler, it started in the late 60s).

Toyota needs to address the issues that union wants without unions...
Job security is first and foremost. Nothing puts more fear into the life of an autoworker than the thought of getting that pink slip.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 04:42 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some companies CAN'T fire striking workers. The contracts prohibit that. If they do, the unions go to court and get a cease-and-desist order....and the companies may also get socked with a heavy fine.
Of course, this is a non-issue (for the most part) if your employees are not in a union.

I've said it before: unions will be the downfall of the American economic community.

Antiquated and outdated... if those employees really want to work in a union, they can look elsewhere. I'm sure there are lots of job opportunities in that part of Kentucky (Taco Bell?)
Old 03-18-08, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Of course, this is a non-issue (for the most part) if your employees are not in a union.
Not really. Get enough employees mad enough and, union or no union, the company will have a real tiger by the tail. Not even the police will be able to handle it. And the average auto plant has a lot of workers.......that's a lot of workers p***ed off.

Though I haven't been a part of it, I have seen the results of mass employee protest.....and sometimes violence. It's something most companies wouldn't want to touch with a ten-foot pole.
Old 03-18-08, 05:36 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a union, but have a lot of mixed feelings about them. So many times it turns into us vs them. Then the union will whatever they can to screw management or show its "power" and ends up shooting its self in the foot. Those workers better know what they are getting themselves into.
Old 03-18-08, 05:41 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i deal with unions on a daily basis, it is really good for the employees but extremely bad for the companies.

I just want to punch my monitor whenever I have to deal with them. They simply have too much demand.
Old 03-18-08, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't post the picture above to say that necessarily WILL happen, just that it's a possibility. Mass employee protests and violence these days are not the norm, like they were many decades ago, but they DO represent a worst-case scenario....like what we still sometimes see at WTO conventions.

More likely, a labor-management agreement will be reached short of extreme means. It may or may not involve extension of the U.A.W. to Toyota.

Quick Reply: Toyota has no intention of meeting with union organizers