Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson and the CL600

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 10:27 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson and the CL600

here's the latest!

Mercedes-Benz CL 600
Silence, please, for a new king of the road
Jeremy Clarkson

When you go to buy a new car, you will be greeted by a salesman who has a ghastly suit and an unusual haircut. He will begin by indulging in a spot of reflexive-pronoun abuse and then he will offer yourself a list of juicy options that will enhance your motoring pleasure.

It’s delicious agony, running down the possibilities, wondering what sort of satellite navigation you will need, whether the extra expense of 20in wheels is worth it, and exactly what sort of cow you’d like to have killed to make the seats.

Eventually you will have balanced your natural instinct to splash out with the needs of your family to eat, and you’ll present the salesman with the completed form. But frankly, you may as well give him a box of frogs for all the good it does.

“Yes,” he’ll say, “it is possible to make the car you want, in the colour you’ve chosen, with seats covered in the skin of a cow called Brian. But not this year. Or next.

“However, if your good self can’t wait that long, myself happens to have a car in stock, which is similar to the one you’ve ordered . . . except for the size of the engine, the sort of fuel it runs on, the fact that it has no sat nav, has an automatic gearbox and it’s pink.”

Naturally, you will leap at the chance because you are all excited, which means you will spend the next three years driving round in something close to what you wanted. Which is another way of saying “something you didn’t want at all”.

No, really. Buying a blue diesel estate when you wanted a grey petrol saloon is the same as booking a holiday in the Dominican Republic. And then going to Haiti because the flight leaves 10 minutes earlier. It’s like falling in love with a house and then buying the one next door.

I’d love, at this point, to lay into car makers, telling them to buck up their ideas, but sadly there’s no point. Let’s take Mercedes as an example. Currently they can offer you a massive range of cars, each of which is available with a choice of trim levels and engine sizes. I’ve done a quick head count and, amazingly, your local Mercedes dealer is able to offer around 300 different models.

And now it gets tricky because, on average, each of those models is available in a choice of 10 colours. So now it’s 3,000 models, and that’s before you get to the colour of the interior trim.

Mercedes is famously mean-spirited in this respect, and once you’ve chosen a colour for the body you only get about five choices for the colour of the seats and carpets. Even so, that means we’re now up to 15,000 different models, each of which is available as a manual or an automatic. So that’s 30,000 then, and each of those is available with probably 50 different options. The result is that Mercedes-Benz is able to offer you 1.5 million different permutations of one car.

Not that long ago Mercedes announced they were going to extend their range of saloons and estates to “make something for everyone”. I didn’t realise at the time that they were being Germanically literal. They could make 1.5m cars and no two would be the same. Which is why, I’m afraid, it takes an age for you to choose the right model. And even longer to get it trimmed, painted and specced to your precise requirements.

I can’t speed up the Stuttgart production lines, but happily I can at least steer you through the maze that is the brochure. So here goes. What you do is buy a gunmetal-grey Mercedes-Benz CL with a black interior.

The CL is a coupe version of the S-class and must not be confused with the CLK, which is a two-door version of the old C-class, or the CLS, which is a cut-down amalgamation of the E-class and the S-class.

Because it is a two-door coupe version of the S-class, the CL is meant to be quiet and comfortable. It is also fitted with a Rolls-Royce-style column-operated gearshifter, which gives you the relaxing options of backwards, forwards or parked. And because of all this pillowy smoothness and mattress simplicity, it wouldn’t really suit Merc’s magnificent but shouty 6.2 litre V8 engine.

And nor should you go for the entry-level V8, because nothing says a man has failed in life quite so well as a 500 badge on the back of his Mercedes. Apart, perhaps, from a Porsche Boxster. This is Premium Economy spec; it signifies you are clinging to respectability at the golf club by a mere thread.

So, you cannot have a V8, which means it must be a V12. It’d be tempting, I’m sure, to go for the 65, the most powerful engine in the world until Bugatti came along with the Veyron. It has so many torques you can light up the rear tyres so violently, they will actually dig holes in the road. I know this because I’ve done it. The power is stratospheric, atomic, and if I’m honest a bit idiotic.

That leaves you with the normal 600, a 5.5 litre, twin-turbo 12-pot that makes exactly the same amount of noise as the crowd at a five-day cricket match – ie, none at all. Well, actually, not none exactly. If you listen very, very hard you can sometimes hear it snoring. And that means it’s ideally suited to the smooth suspension and the waftmatic gearshifter. Driving it is like lying in a vat of baby oil, dreaming that you can fly.

Until you put your foot down. There’s still no noise, and that’s spooky because suddenly the view out of the window has gone all bonkers and you are overtaking light aircraft. It is properly fast, the CL 600. Even though it weighs 2.1 tons it will get you from 0 to 60mph, silently, in just 4.5sec.

Being overtaken in this is like being overtaken by a ghost. You sense a blur and you feel the air move. But that’s it.

I absolutely adored driving this car. It was a new experience – power without sound – but the thing I loved most of all was the way it looked.

They’ve tried to ape the shape of the old model’s sublime rear window – and failed badly – but the rest . . . oh my God, it’s gorgeous. The balance, the flared wheelarches and the nose. Holy cow. This has the best nose on any car ever made.

It does not, however, have the best ride. Naturally, it has air suspension, not because air suspension works better than coils and springs and dampers but because it allows the computer geeks in Merc’s underground design bunkers to fiddle about with their laptops, making it move the car about as the speed and driving style change.

In theory it’s brilliant. In practice, it doesn’t work. And it really didn’t work in the CL I drove. It felt, sometimes, like I was on a water bed and I simply don’t believe it’s supposed to be that way. I honestly think there was a small fault in the system. And that’s good, because it means I can ring Mercedes-Benz with a perfect excuse to borrow another 600 CL for a week. Or two, just to be sure.

Price? Well, the 600 CL costs £107,097, which is known in banking circles as a very great deal of money. It puts the CL in the same 2+2 marketplace as the Bentley Continental, as well as offerings from Porsche, Aston Martin and Maserati.

As a badge, the three-pointed star sits among this lot like a branch of Marks & Spencer on Bond Street. But the simple fact of the matter is this. As a car, it beats all of them. By a country mile.

Vital statistics

Model Mercedes-Benz CL 600

Engine 5513cc, 12 cylinders

Power 517bhp @ 5000rpm

Torque 612 lb ft @ 3500rpm

Transmission Five-speed automatic

Fuel 19.8mpg

Acceleration 0-62mph: 4.6sec

CO2 340g/km

Top speed 155mph

Price £107,097

Rating 1871mm

Verdict A silver ghost in Merc clothing
Old 08-12-07, 11:26 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

"And nor should you go for the entry-level V8, because nothing says a man has failed in life quite so well as a 500 badge on the back of his Mercedes."

aaaaaahahahahahahahaha Clarkson is a beautiful human being.
Old 08-12-07, 11:26 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

As critical as he may be, he's actually right.

Jon
Old 08-12-07, 11:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Nothing on the steering or handling, only the ride and acceleration?

Also, interesting to me that it's really Lexus trademark philosophy- tomb silent with plenty of speed- that gets slammed in the press all the time, and yet here it is wildly acceptable?

Hmm. Not trying to bash the CL, and at the same time when all we hear about is what car can handle and drive the best and then Clarkson remarks on how smooth and quiet the car is, with no mention of handling prowess... that is quite refreshing.

Lexus should build a two door LS. Seriously. It would be everything the brand stands for.
Old 08-12-07, 12:25 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I love reading his stuff!!
Old 08-12-07, 12:57 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarkson is a very gifted entertainer. Who else could get his name in a thread like this and he comes off bigger than the cars he writes about?

BTW in the US the CL600 is $148K+ (CL550 is $104K+ which is the difference of $44K you can buy a Boxster or a Cayman with the difference). The CL65 will probably cost $185K+

I know with this class it's not important as the people buying one can afford it. It's just interesting how much they cost.
Old 08-12-07, 01:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nothing on the steering or handling, only the ride and acceleration?

Also, interesting to me that it's really Lexus trademark philosophy- tomb silent with plenty of speed- that gets slammed in the press all the time, and yet here it is wildly acceptable?

Hmm. Not trying to bash the CL, and at the same time when all we hear about is what car can handle and drive the best and then Clarkson remarks on how smooth and quiet the car is, with no mention of handling prowess... that is quite refreshing.

Lexus should build a two door LS. Seriously. It would be everything the brand stands for.
Well of course that is psychology, you always have widely accepted "benchmarks" - represented by majority, and competitors who always try to catch up - represented by minority (and they never do).
For some reason people expect competition to achieve much more than their so called "benchmarks" because they never want to see or admit their "benchmarks" beaten. And even when something like that happens it's even harder for them to accept it and recognize it. That's called mass perception and mass perceptions rarely changes.

In this example perception shared by majority says that MB is the benchmark of premium luxury and innovation and majority wants it to stay like that so that's why competitors "NEVER" catch up.
Same would be if MB or BMW came out with 8 speed, it would have been a miracle but because it's someone else it's just a gimmick and "there is no real advantage over 7 speed". Very simple.

Oh BTW CL is the greatest model MB has in their line-up right now Even better than SLR

Last edited by Vladi; 08-12-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 01:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am so glad they revamped and rebuilt the CL for this latest version. Unlike the reviewer, I hated the older rear window/aft pillar on the old model. The new model fixes that and a lot of other things, making the CL look modern yet classic.
Old 08-13-07, 11:46 AM
LexFather

Clarkson is that dude!! I don't like the CL's styling inside or out but its a beast, a great statement car.
I still prefer the previous CL. That one was perfect to me.

Old 08-13-07, 12:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he is a good entertainer and writer, love reading his write ups...
Old 08-13-07, 05:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

12 cylinders+517bhp+612 lb ft+0-62mph: 4.6sec = 19.8mpg?!?! Im somewhat impressed by that, anyone else?
Old 08-13-07, 06:00 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Gotta love Clarkson's brutal honesty. He's right about the Porsche Boxster (he calls it the "Coxster") being the most embarrassing car to be seen in. And right about the "500" badge. I agree; if you can seriously afford such an expensive vehicle, you'd be somewhat of a life's failure if you opted for the "base" engine.
Old 08-13-07, 06:20 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
12 cylinders+517bhp+612 lb ft+0-62mph: 4.6sec = 19.8mpg?!?! Im somewhat impressed by that, anyone else?
don't get too excited there. That's not the fuel economy. That's some (?) crazy un-realistic number.

The CL is a gas guzziler (most likely you will be paying a GG tax on that car).

The EPA rating for the US are 11/17 (city/HWY) which works out to 14 mpg average. Figure if you are driving it like you stole it you're getting single digit miles per gallon.
Old 08-13-07, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Clarkson is telling it like it is.

I'm not a big fan of Clarkson's humor and the way he reviews cars, but he is indeed correct here that the Mercedes style of marketing and classification is confusing at best and can, in some cases, border on the absurd. There are so many different S-class models for so many different countries that I myself gave up trying to remember them all. The C class cars are also too complex. The CL is a large coupe. The CLK is a small one. The C is a small sedan. The The CLS is a large sedan with semi-coupe styling. On and on.

So...if car people like him and us here on CAR CHAT are confused when WE go into a Mercedes showroom, what about the average car shopper? Think of what he or she is going through.
Old 08-13-07, 06:58 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

How is Mercedes more complicated than any other European brand. Aside from the engines, there's basically one or two ways to get a Mercedes. Silver, Black leather, Wood trim, and Automatic transmission. If you want to be radical and a rebel, you can get a Black exterior.

I thought BMW had the most permutations possible

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson and the CL600