Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Marketing. How important is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 06:30 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb Marketing. How important is it?

One thing that has amazed me about Lexus is not just the outstanding product but Team One gets the job DONE marketing wise. I really think if Lexus advertising was average or was awful, they would not be in the position they are in today.

The last few months people have asked me questions about the LS parking itself (seen in commercials) and just yesterday, the new IS ad with the metal ball. I think they are clever and they are just different to anything else from an advertising perspective.

In contrast, the 3GS ads IMO have been lackluster and hmmm, sales are good but not great. Not much of a buzz around the car.

Take it back to the 2GS debut "something wicked this way comes" and "the fastest automatic sedan" really caught people's attention.

Lexus and Team One have just done a superb job marketing their products with print and media (not going to go into the other avenues they market in).

Old 07-25-07, 06:33 AM
LexFather

In stark contrast, I am going to pick on Jaguar. They have a brand new XK coupe, a beautiful to most. The press LOVES the car, handles great, decent power, nice interior, etc. Jag now has a top dealer network.

Looking at sales, the car isn't moving at all.

This is a BRAND NEW car. Has anyone seen marketing for it? If you have, is it not ridiculous?
-blurry pics of people dancing
-showing 1/16th of the actual car
-not even talking about the vehicle

Its ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. Some advertising guy has Jaguar fooled thinking "hey the rocks and trees did work for INfiniti, we should try the same thing".

Jaguar continues to just shoot itself in the foot.

Old 07-25-07, 06:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I think marketing is important but building a great product makes marketing easier. Both are inter-related and cannot be separate. Neither will work without the other and Lexus has built a strong brand through quality. The inherent advantage of marketing is extremely hard to quantify and very few companies survive on the sheer power of pure marketing (maybe Coke, etc...).

In your example you use 3GS vs. 2GS. I believe the 3GS relative to the current competitors is a mid-tier product while the 2GS was at the top therefore the amount of marketing for the 3GS will only be incrementally more beneficial. I think the 2GS conversely sold itself.
Old 07-25-07, 06:42 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very important, Lexus really wouldn't be where it is if it wasn't for good marketing, a good reputation can only go so far if people don't know what your products are.

There are however some exceptions like Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari etc they don't need to advertise
Old 07-25-07, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In stark contrast, I am going to pick on Jaguar. They have a brand new XK coupe, a beautiful to most.

Jag now has a top dealer network.

Looking at sales, the car isn't moving at all.

This is a BRAND NEW car. Has anyone seen marketing for it? If you have, is it not ridiculous?
It's easy to see why this car is not selling......at least in my opinion. First, though the car generally has nice flowing lines like most Jaguar coupes and convertibles, the front grille looks like a cross between an old Taurus and a tuna sucking wind. Second, some versions of it don't even have wood trim inside and have gone to metallic trim instead....the idea of a Jag without wood is simply anathema to many people. Third, this car is not chump change, and the average car-buying Joe in the marketplace is not walking around with a wallet thick enough to make the purchase or lease payments on one....or pay for the insurance on one. Fourth.....and we have recently discussed this in other threads......per Consumer Reports, Jag's reliability is once again substantially below average, after improving somewhat after Ford's takeover. People are aware of Jag's low reputation in this area and may be hesitant to plunk down a lot of cash for a potential lemon....one reason why Jag service shops seem to be doing such a good job. The service shops are trying to make up for what the factory ISN'T doing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-07 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 07:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's easy to see why this car is not selling......at least in my opinion. First, though the car generally has nice flowing lines like most Jaguar coupes and convertibles, the front grille looks like a cross between an old Taurus and a tuna sucking wind. Second, some versions of it don't even have wood trim inside and have gone to metallic trim instead....the idea of a Jag without wood is simply anathema to many people. Third, this car is not chump change, and the average car-buying Joe in the marketplace is not walking around with a wallet thick enough to make the payments on one....or pay for the insurance on one. Fourth.....and we have recently discussed this in other threads......per Consumer Reports, Jag's reliability is once again substantially below average, after improving somewhat after Ford's takeover. People are aware of Jag's low reputation in this area and may be hesitant to plunk down a lot of cash for a potential lemon....one reason why Jag service shops seem to be doing such a good job. The service shops are trying to make up for what the factory ISN'T doing.
Do you think Ford should sell Jag before no one wants to buy it?

Old 07-25-07, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you think Ford should sell Jag before no one wants to buy it?
I don't want to sound evasive here or ignore your question, but do you know of anyone who wants to buy it NOW? I don't. I have not seen any public offers made.......correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-25-07, 07:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Marketing departments are huge assets to any company. Brilliant teams are responsible for generating growth and public interest. Lexus' marketing team is a prime example. And i'm not saying that just because we have an exclusive relationship with them.
Old 07-25-07, 07:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to sound evasive here or ignore your question, but do you know of anyone who wants to buy it NOW? I don't. I have not seen any public offers made.......correct me if I am wrong.
You are right, I don't think anyone is seriously considering it.

Old 07-25-07, 08:44 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Ummmm, I don't get Toyota's advertisements either??

Marketing is very key to sales.

But dont get me wrong here.........but I just don't get Toyota/Lexus advertisements!!??!!

I don't get racing one car dropping another IS to test speed? <with the right timing and distance calcualtions it's easy to make the speeding car win> but WHAT IS THAT POINT??

The LS parking is nice and rings home!!

The Tundra commercials are well, i'm not sure american truck drivers get a sense of strong 'beat my american truck' with pulling some payload on a sea-saw setup? It does nothing for me!?

And the Camry? that runs into the asphalt and comes out a Hybrid?? Not sure that is telling me I should get a Hybrid??

The Yaris hickupping and burping out another car etc..... it's cute.....and, well maybe that's the message? lol.

But I don't get their advertisements....

That's my 2c
Old 07-25-07, 09:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Down here, I have rarely seen any marketing that sways. Basically, if you want a car, you know where the dealer is and you go there and find out. Most of the company sites here are nothing more than basic information about the vehicle, warranty, specs, etc.

As far as that wow factor from marketing...doesn't really exist here.
Old 07-25-07, 09:33 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus marketing is brilliant!! I like the newest IS AWD ad with the metal *****. I think when it starts off the with a ball rolling between the two body panels it's supposed to pay homage or something to that LS commercial...?
Old 07-25-07, 09:46 AM
MikeSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 2GS "wicked" ads were amazing and IMO were the most memorable lexus ads. Nowadays it seems they are looking toward advertising the functional side of lexus like the park itself, 8 speed auto, and the acceleration of the IS. I guess it works for them, but it would be nice to see more dramatic ads again
Old 07-25-07, 09:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with 1SICK on the status of the XK.

I live in a rather affluent neighborhood thanks to my parents. Newly released models move like hotcakes around here. I didn't even know LS460s were available for sale when I saw the first of them being driven around. the CLS in its debut was huge, Cayennes, Touaregs, the new GM SUVs, all manners of MBs and BMWs, all Lexus vehicles are quite literally everywhere in this area--but I've seen a grand total of TWO new Jaguar XKs since their release. TWO. I'm actually beginning to think that those two cars might have been one and the same...
Old 07-25-07, 10:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One word describes t.v. marketing campaigns... Gimmicks. Is the product being advertised "as advertised"? Consumers must do their homework and not rely soley on marketing campaigns, especially when it comes to cars. Some fall victim to false advertising, while others are stay ahead of the eight ball.

Quick Reply: Marketing. How important is it?