Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford testing F-150 and Tundra on Their proving ground -=o/

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 08:06 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford testing F-150 and Tundra on Their proving ground -=o/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/25/v...ack/4#comments

IDK if this is the real deal or if the tundra was altered somehow by ford.
Old 07-10-07, 08:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it was Ford that did that test - I think it was the staff at pickuptruck.com that used the Ford testing grounds to perform that test.

The Silverado and Ford most definitely demonstrate their superior frame strength in that test.
Old 07-10-07, 08:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

My friend test drove all of the trucks and he bought the F-150. I think he made the right choice. The trucks are the only vehicles that detroit still does right
Old 07-10-07, 09:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow the flexing on the Tundra is horrible!!
Old 07-10-07, 10:57 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tundra's so flexible, lol.
Old 07-10-07, 10:58 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uo0C01Fwb8

The 777 most definitely demonstrates its superior frame strength in that test.
Old 07-10-07, 11:06 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
The Silverado and Ford most definitely demonstrate their superior frame strength in that test.
yeah trucks should be unibodies, since trucks need the most rigid frame possible. and they should start using fully-boxed frames on semi-trucks cause Ford does so on the F150.

Old 07-10-07, 02:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
yeah trucks should be unibodies, since trucks need the most rigid frame possible. and they should start using fully-boxed frames on semi-trucks cause Ford does so on the F150.

They don't need the most rigid frame possible, nor do they need other various creature comforts and performance enhancing features, but they surely benefit greatly from it. The only argument you could possibly make against the obviously superior performing frames on the Silverado and F150 is that they're too stiff, to the point of reaching critical failure (cracking), or that the trucks were made far too heavy for their own good from the additional weight.

I've yet to see a frame fail on either of those trucks. Have you? Likely not, so cross that one off the list.

Glancing over the curb weights it appears that the Silverado and F150 are still well within a reasonable range when using the Tundra as a reference point, so the frame's additional weight didn't push the overall truck up an unacceptable limit.

You seriously kill me Mr Jones... you find a way to excuse Toyota of any test or measure at which they fail to perform at, and glorify those at which they do well at.

Frame rigidity is a GOOD thing so long as it doesn't make the frame prone to critical failure, creating an overweight structure, or adding too much additional cost.

The rigidity of a unibody structure would be great for a truck if it wasn't for unibody's inherent lack of linear cohesion that causes it to generally lack durability when used in heavy towing and off roading applications (though there are exceptions, of course).
Old 07-10-07, 03:43 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

You seriously kill me Mr Jones... you find a way to excuse Toyota of any test or measure at which they fail to perform at, and glorify those at which they do well at.
I recognize there is a major difference between rigidity and strength. And I recognize a truck is designed to behave like a truck not a car.

Sorry, but I will never believe Ford's own devised tests. No, I don't believe that a competitor with an active interest in disproving another competitor's product will be honest. Especially when the one area they can hope to counter a competitor is by questioning its frame.

However there are plenty of outside sources which have tested the trucks and Ford has consistently failed to find a victory.

Glancing over the curb weights it appears that the Silverado and F150 are still well within a reasonable range when using the Tundra as a reference point, so the frame's additional weight didn't push the overall truck up an unacceptable limit.
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/...pecs_dcab.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 07-10-07 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 03:51 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

The rigidity of a unibody structure would be great for a truck if it wasn't for unibody's inherent lack of linear cohesion that causes it to generally lack durability when used in heavy towing and off roading applications (though there are exceptions, of course).
linear cohesion?
Old 07-10-07, 04:08 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yep, I posted the same vids here a couple days ago... Needless to say, if I ever find myself in the market for a truck, the Tundra is not going to be a consideration. I would have liked to see the Titan in that comparison as well.
Old 07-10-07, 04:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I believe that was a 3rd party test. Is it really THAT surprising that the F150 has a better frame than Toyota? It is literally the best selling vehicle in America and Ford has had decades to perfect it and know what their customers are looking for in a truck.
Old 07-10-07, 04:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'd still put my money on the Tundra.

Let's meet back in 15 years and see which truck is holding up better.

Old 07-10-07, 05:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4

The F150 would hold up better. There are plenty of american trucks that are well over a decade old that are still out on the streets. The frame and bolts on the Tundra aren't going to get any stronger when they're 15 years old... Putting money on the Tundra only proves you're a poor gambler. You're putting money on the team you like instead of the team that's actually going to win.
Old 07-10-07, 05:24 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLSC4

exactly, and that's all that matters. That's why I drive a Lexus GS, not a Lincoln LS. That's why I drive a Toyota Camry, not a Ford Taurus, etc. Good chance both will still be running. While the F150 will still be drivable 15 years from now, what about the quality otherwise? How many repairs would it go through? It's still going to leave a mess on the driveway.

I'm not loyal to any one car company. If Toyota starts slipping down domestic routes, I'm bailing out as well.

Last edited by GStateOM; 07-10-07 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford testing F-150 and Tundra on Their proving ground -=o/