Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai commercials pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 04:58 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai commercials pissing me off

I'm talking about the ones with each model being comparable to a higher level car, and then saying how much cheaper it is..
ones i can remember: (cant remember any of their cheesy model names)
landrover having more cupholders
sedan having more hp then a bmw 525i
there luxury sedan (azera i think) having as many features as the LS460 except it cant park itself, but being half the price. and for the money, they can have it parked.

i was in a rental sonata recently and everything just feels cheap and korean. all plastic, radio sucked, screen sucked...pretty much everything.

anyone else annoyed by these?
Old 06-20-07, 05:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I can't say I find this improves my image of Hyundai as a auto. It does stick with me that they are kicking away at the big manufacturers teetering on the fence of humor and seriousness. Now if any of the compared makers responds, it would be a sad day. At that...let them try...maybe in X years, it may be different. That aside, I just change the channel.
Old 06-20-07, 05:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol, my wife and i laugh and move on with our lives. honestly, i have no idea what their target audience is. probably it's a way to make people who can afford hyundai to feel better about their cars. but to be honest, any perspective buys of lexus LS, bmw 5, or landrover, would they seriously look at hyundai? i know i wouldn't take a single look at those cars period
Old 06-20-07, 05:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

"....quieter than a lexus 350....." I believe they had a small subtitle indicating RX350, can't remember. It was pretty annoying, at least say RX350.

It was very vague.
Old 06-20-07, 06:02 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
probably it's a way to make people who can afford hyundai to feel better about their cars. but to be honest, any perspective buys of lexus LS, bmw 5, or landrover, would they seriously look at hyundai? i know i wouldn't take a single look at those cars period
Well said!
Old 06-20-07, 06:15 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I find those commericals funny the Land Rover one is good lol. I get my revenge on the tiburon's that try to toy with my SC. I got to give Hyundai props they have come a long way from the Excel days. I know of a few loyal "domestic" owners that have made the switch.
Old 06-20-07, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, my wife and i laugh and move on with our lives. honestly, i have no idea what their target audience is. probably it's a way to make people who can afford hyundai to feel better about their cars. but to be honest, any perspective buys of lexus LS, bmw 5, or landrover, would they seriously look at hyundai? i know i wouldn't take a single look at those cars period
Henry, you sound EXACTLY like I did for many years... and I'm not exaggerating. After test-driving the first-generation Excel in 1987, I would not seriously look at ANY U.S.-market Hyundai product for years, nor would I recommend them to any serious car shopper.

Hyundais remained junk for a decade or so....and the first signs of improvement began to show with the all-new 1997
Tiburon. Each new Hyundai vehicle since then has just gotten better and better. Today, some of them rival Toyota and Honda quality....but a lot of people are still living in the 80's and early 90's with their view of the company.

Now I'm not saying they are the vehicle for everybody (quality-wise, I would have bought one myself, but I didn't like their AWD designs as much as Subaru's...their AWD vehicles sit too high for my tastes). And, for whatever reasons, they may not be ideal vehicles for you or your wife. But for many people, Hyundai's old slogan is fast becoming a way of life....."Driving is Believing".

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 07:25 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clearly they need a new marketing department ... but i THINK the idea is that they're marketing to more um 'economically minded people' and suggesting that while they cant afford the lexus, they can get something that has a couple similar features. so this sedan thing (hyundai sedan) has room kinda like an LS and insert-other-feature-here like an LS, but if you cant afford the LS you can buy the hyundai

GAH ... here's one of those adds rite now while i'm writing this

Last edited by Faymester; 06-20-07 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Henry, you sound EXACTLY like I did for many years... and I'm not exaggerating. After test-driving the first-generation Excel in 1987, I would not seriously look at ANY U.S.-market Hyundai product for years, nor would I recommend them to any serious car shopper.

Hyundais remained junk for a decade or so....and the first signs of improvement began to show with the all-new 1997
Tiburon. Each new Hyundai vehicle since then has just gotten better and better. Today, some of them rival Toyota and Honda quality....but a lot of people are still living in the 80's and early 90's with their view of the company.

Now I'm not saying they are the vehicle for everybody (quality-wise, I would have bought one myself, but I didn't like their AWD designs as much as Subaru's...their AWD vehicles sit too high for my tastes). And, for whatever reasons, they may not be ideal vehicles for you or your wife. But for many people, Hyundai's old slogan is fast becoming a way of life....."Driving is Believing".
i am definitely not surprised that they got a lot better. the fact that i see so many of them on the road now that's a very very good sign. in fact my friend drove a hyundai as rental and he told me it's very impressive.

put it together with the camry and accord and i think that's great achievement for them. but with all due respect, at their CURRENT stage, put their cars together with lexus, bmw, etc...??!?!! umm.... they still have some way to go before they can even touch the luxury segment.

sorry if i sound harsh, but that's my opinion. my bottom line is they got much better than before, they are common to public and good for most people, but not in the top ones yet
Old 06-20-07, 11:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Landrover or Hyundai.... hmm... well, the landrover does have more cup holders than the hyundai... i mean, if you dont have enough cup holders then where are ppl gonna put their drinks??? on the floor??? between their legs and spill on themselves and the seats??? wtf is wrong with hyundai they tell everyone why the landrover is better, thats pretty stupid if your trying to sell cars.

Landrover > Hyundai
Old 06-20-07, 11:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Annoying maybe but they were made to get everyone's attention. Hyundai's Marketing team is brilliant. They made their commercial purposeful....they got us talking about it!
Old 06-21-07, 02:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love those commercials. Of course, there is no way I'll cross shop a Hyundai with a Lexus, but I have no problem buying a Hyndai for a DD. On that note, I don't think Hyndai is Lexus quality, but I don't think it is junk either. I'd buy most of the Hyundai producs over cars like the Fit, Corolla, Yaris and such.

The commercials are so good that it has all the competing manufacturers car forums talking about it and complaining. Gotta love it
Old 06-21-07, 04:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I love those commercials. Of course, there is no way I'll cross shop a Hyundai with a Lexus, but I have no problem buying a Hyndai for a DD. On that note, I don't think Hyndai is Lexus quality, but I don't think it is junk either. I'd buy most of the Hyundai producs over cars like the Fit, Corolla, Yaris and such.
While they are obviously not into vehicles in the LS460 and LX470's range yet in the American market, Hyundai is starting to produce some U.S.-market vehicles that compete well with lower-level Lexus products. Examples are the new Veracruz SUV, which, in tests, according to pundits, competes well with the RX350 (I have not reviewed it yet, but plan to). Another good example is the Azera, which, IMO, competes well with the ES350 despite a markedly lower price....but I agree that it competes better against the Avalon than the 350. The new ES350, IMO, has been a disappointment. (That does NOT apply to the last-generation ES330, which IMO was a superb car and clearly superior to the Azera).

Hyundai, BTW, DOES do high-level luxury cars overseas, but they are not (yet) available in the American market.
Old 06-21-07, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Each new Hyundai vehicle since then has just gotten better and better. ...
Definitely. I still don't like the interiors though...

And *still* no nav.
Old 06-21-07, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Hyundai has some interesting and competitive vehicles. Their prices across the board are creeping up and are less of a value on price alone than they used to be. Sales of their cars are either flat or declining vs. a year ago (Sonata, Elantra, Azera & Tucson) which is hard to understand given their improved quailty, long warranties and heavy advertising. I guess it takes a long time to change the perception of your brand. They'll no doubt continue to advertise against their perceived competition.

Quick Reply: Hyundai commercials pissing me off