ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Apple developing NAVI for Benz ? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/288647-apple-developing-navi-for-benz.html)

Gojirra99 06-18-07 07:14 AM

Apple developing NAVI for Benz ?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...06/iclass2.jpg

According to German magazine "Focus" Apple is working on a navigation system for cars. At the start in 2009, it will be exclusively available from Mercedes, but 6 months later the other vendors are allowed to follow.

It might be that Apple will also use Google Maps for their navigation solution as on the iPhone, but until now that's only speculation.

Apple is seeking to conquer every tiny space of your digital environment. Great move, but why start with such an old-fashioned and boring brand? Just because big Steve is driving Mercedes doesn't mean that this tie-up fits.
via autoblog

http://www.foursprung.com/

PhilipMSPT 06-18-07 07:39 AM

"Great move, but why start with such an old-fashioned and boring brand? "
Who wrote this?

MB has a huge following throughout the whole world, and Apple would be wise to tap into it.

rominl 06-18-07 09:05 AM

i think it'd be cool to see what improvements they make to the system, seeing how nice apple products are so far. i wonder if that would make gene starts to get mb? :p

this is good news, anything is better than mb nav

Stage3 06-18-07 10:51 AM

The Apple takeover is starting... :D:D:D

:thumbup:

It's about time that more than just a select few realize that the world of Windows is outdated!

Just a thought though... Our Colonel brought this up in our class last semester but it goes with this same kind of theory.

We were discussing where the Air Force will be in 20 years, and one of his debating points was that some of the new-era jets and commands would be integrating the use of Windows or Macs to run things. We debated it for a while, and thought that it would be crazy to allow one company so much access to such a pivotal and integral part of the Air Force. But, considering that a huge auto manufacturer would collaborate with a rather huge computer/lifestyle manufacturer, then maybe it's not such a far fetched possibility... hmmm:uh:

mink92890 06-18-07 02:46 PM

Well two things which would be awesome about this which would be unique to Mercedes if this were to happen:
1) Super iPhone/iPod connectivity... I read somewhere that if you have an iPhone you would connect it and the screen would be cloned on the navigation screen, which could be awesome for quick syncing of a calendar or something.
2) Google Maps. You would be able to use Google Maps as that would probably be Apple's source of the map information. With that said, you would probably get street view directions or satellite image directions right in the car with easy updates.

That would be awesome... I hope it trickles down to Lexus, even though I love the navigations of Lexus.

Mink92890

PhilipMSPT 06-18-07 03:24 PM

...and iTV through the nav screen... :D :thumbup:

Iceman 06-18-07 09:34 PM

Let it happen... it will be just another nail in the coffin of Mercedes' reputation for luxury and excellence.

Face it: Apple is a quirky niche brand that only truly appeals to those who choose products more based on cache than functionality. Their market in every realm (except MP3 players, but more on that in a moment) is in the "also-ran, barely-mention" category. They design products for the dumbest consumers--automating every function and assuming the user is too stupid to know how to adjust settings on their own. They even treat their customers like commodities, for example in the way they brushed off the iPod battery fiasco. And now people don't buy iPods because that's the best MP3 player--they buy them because they're "cool", a fleeting sensation that will inevitably move to the next best thing.

So let Mercedes link themselves to a brand that appeals to a tiny sliver of the population, that feels it is superior to its own customers, and that relies on "cool" rather than true innovation or product excellence in order to carry on. Lexus is smart to stick with their current suppliers for nav systems, the same suppliers that have given them an untarnished string of awards for having the best, most complete, and most user-friendly electronics in the industry.

mavericck 06-18-07 09:55 PM

This is going to be very beneficial to MB, I for one am happy and excited for them. MB has needed some new nav software badly.

nthach 06-18-07 10:41 PM

I wonder what will happen to COMAND if Benz decides to use Apple for their NAV+ICE system? Who's providing the hardware as well - is Benz going to stick to their traditional suppliers of Becker, Bosch/Blaupunkt or Siemens/VDO?

Mr. Jones 06-18-07 10:59 PM

not suprising...MB is little more than a fashion statement

Yang1815 06-19-07 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 2703698)
Face it: Apple is a quirky niche brand that only truly appeals to those who choose products more based on cache than functionality. Their market in every realm (except MP3 players, but more on that in a moment) is in the "also-ran, barely-mention" category. They design products for the dumbest consumers--automating every function and assuming the user is too stupid to know how to adjust settings on their own. They even treat their customers like commodities, for example in the way they brushed off the iPod battery fiasco. And now people don't buy iPods because that's the best MP3 player--they buy them because they're "cool", a fleeting sensation that will inevitably move to the next best thing.

So let Mercedes link themselves to a brand that appeals to a tiny sliver of the population, that feels it is superior to its own customers, and that relies on "cool" rather than true innovation or product excellence in order to carry on. Lexus is smart to stick with their current suppliers for nav systems, the same suppliers that have given them an untarnished string of awards for having the best, most complete, and most user-friendly electronics in the industry.

Cache than functionality? What are you smoking. And dumbest consumers, wow... What do you have against people who buy Apple products?

Incendiary 06-19-07 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones (Post 2703891)
not suprising...MB is little more than a fashion statement

It's true. I didn't even realize they were still making cars. I've been buying only M-B wristwatches, suits, purses, and luggage for the past five years.

nthach 06-19-07 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yang1815 (Post 2704539)
Cache than functionality? What are you smoking. And dumbest consumers, wow... What do you have against people who buy Apple products?

IMO, Apples are more user friendly than ANYTHING M$/Dell/HP spews out for Wal-Mart and Costco, but this isn't a computer forum and it is OT...

mavericck 06-19-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Incendiary (Post 2704621)
It's true. I didn't even realize they were still making cars. I've been buying only M-B wristwatches, suits, purses, and luggage for the past five years.

You both have got to be joking.

OC 335d 06-19-07 11:51 AM

That would be awesome for Mercedes. From a not so interface to Apple's type of user friendly interfaces would be great. Sign me up.

p.s. I'm going to have to reboot to Windows to play games.